PDA

View Full Version : School Dilemma

Chrislit18
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone,

first off, thanks in advance for helping, especially if anybody can put perspective on this. This is not about a guy or friend crisis, but a college/senior year thing. I am currently enrolled in the following classes my senior year:

1st Semester
America During the Cold War [Honors]
Pottery
VHS Astronomy [Honors]
Literature of the Fantastic [Honors]

2nd Semester
Probabilty and Statistics [CP]
Economics [Honors]
Internship
Europoean Literature [Honors]

As you can see, I am definetly not taking a slacker Senior Year. However, as of now I have only taken 3 math courses throughout high school, and some colleges want 4 on your transcript. Prob and Stat would be that fourth course - plus it coinciding with Econ makes me happy.

However, today I was talking to my Media teacher about the TWN TV Studio program at the school, which is where a group of like 10 students helps produce a biweekly 'news show' that is aired on Local Access. It sounds lame, but it is wicked fun, and Media, besides American Cinema, has been my favorite course all year [minus reading Crime and Punishment in AP Lit, but that's a different story.] And I really would love to MINOR or DOUBLE MAJOR in Communications in college. I wanted to major in it, but the industry sucks, and I realized I want to be an English Teacher. [English Education will most likely be my major in college.]

As of now, my top choice school is Quinnipiac University, which has EVERYTHING, it is my DREAM school, and I think that with my grades and everything the way it is, I have a decent chance of getting in, and you only need 3 maths unless you are planning on going in for nursing; but my second choice school is Hampshire College, which you need 4 maths for no matter which program. I think that I have a better chance at getting in QU than Hampshire anyways, and if I got into both I'd pick QU, but I'm faced with a tough problem here. It's either switch out of math, forgo applying to Hampshire, and if I don't get in QU probably get stuck going to a MA State school [safties]; or take the class I have been DYING to take and hope for the best. The TV studio class is offered at Honors level; but I really have no idea what to do. Plus my Media teacher told me that I'm enthusiastic and good at the subject, so I'd be a good fit. That quote to me means a lot, as this is probably the first thing I've ever been specifically told that I'm GOOD at, cause I suck at sports and 'fine arts.'

So if anybody can help me choose what to do, I would really appreciate the imput. I will definetly be talking with my mother about it when she gets home from work, but this is kind of a tough decision for me.

Thanks so much for listening to me,
Christine

JazmenFlowers
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I think you just answered your own question. well, the way I read it anyways. I'd say go for QU.

David
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone,

first off, thanks in advance for helping, especially if anybody can put perspective on this. This is not about a guy or friend crisis, but a college/senior year thing. I am currently enrolled in the following classes my senior year:

1st Semester
Literature of the Fantastic [Honors]That class looks fun. You'll probably start with Apuleius' "Golden Ass" ("Cupid & Psyche" etc.), & also read Perrault & Grimm & Andersen -- all the fairy tales in their unexpurgated state. Plus, if you're lucky, you'll spend a goodly amount of time on German Romanticism, in whose waters I could bathe all year: Musaus, Goethe, Novalis, Tieck, Hoffmann ("The Nutcracker & the Mouse King," "The Golden Pot," "The Sand-Man," "The Mine at Falun"), etc. Hofmannsthal came later, as did Baum & Apollinaire, but they all brought Romanticism to a dying close, & contemporaries revived elements of it in their tales.

You will have a lot of fun in that class. You'll learn that fairy tales & the "fantastic" are really coded ideas for adults -- coded because they're in wildly imaginative tales whose surface lustre attracts children. But children aren't their proper, ultimate audience.

You might even read some of the tales Stevie Nicks apparently borrows from for song stanzas -- like the Hawthorne tales & Wilde tales from which she lifted "Running Through the Garden" & "Battle of the Dragon" & others.

Stew_Matthews
05-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm always impressed with the maturity you show in your posts.

As J said, you seem to have worked out what you want to do actually. If QU is where you want to go then put everything into achieving that. I have no doubt that if you put your mind to something, you'll achieve it. The choices you are making still seem to give you plenty of options at College.

My Phd is in Math so give me a call if you get a stuck with the maths you are taking!:)

stevierocks87
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Those are some very interesting sounding courses- my high school had nothing like that!