PDA

View Full Version : What is a torrent?

ThunderHappens
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm very behind with online technology, and have only recently heard of torrent files. I have no idea what they are exactly, and how they work.

I really want one of the Unleashed show files from dimeadozen.org recently posted on the Rumours board.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me in simple terms how this works and what I need to do?

Sharing info online still scares me, and this process seems rather "invasive". From what I gather, it seems that I'm accessing someone else's computer, and then others would access mine....is this true?

I'm paranoid, I know....but I would love to have a recent Mac concert to watch over and over. :shrug:

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

gold_dust
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm very behind with online technology, and have only recently heard of torrent files. I have no idea what they are exactly, and how they work.

I really want one of the Unleashed show files from dimeadozen.org recently posted on the Rumours board.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me in simple terms how this works and what I need to do?

Sharing info online still scares me, and this process seems rather "invasive". From what I gather, it seems that I'm accessing someone else's computer, and then others would access mine....is this true?

I'm paranoid, I know....but I would love to have a recent Mac concert to watch over and over. :shrug:

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Basically a torrent is a programme that someone has posted that allows you to download something from them. If you download a torrent of a concert, for example, it's because someone has posted it.

If you want to download FM stuff, you'll need a torrent programme like uTorrent or BitComet (I recommend uTorrent, personally - it's very simple), and you'll need to sign up to dimeadozen to find the music you're looking for. I'd be careful with dimeadozen, though, they only let so many people a time register. You may have to wait a while.

http://www.utorrent.com/

I've downloaded plenty off stuff, and believe me, as long as you have a decent firewall and virus protection, you should be fine. I've never had a problem when downloading something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

I hope this helps :)