PDA

View Full Version : Who Was "dissention"?

Musicman408
04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I know his name has been brought up from time to time here and he also has more posts than anyone else on here, but I've never talked to him. He hasn't been on here since before I got here, so I was just curious who exactly this guy was. It's obvious he was a huge Mac fan with a lot to say, but I really don't know much about him. Where is he off to now, and why doesn't he post here anymore?

Thanks Guys,
Ethan

David
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Quite frankly, I thought he was you, Ethan, since both you & he have never been here at the same time. :shocked:

sara1998
04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I know his name has been brought up from time to time here and he also has more posts than anyone else on here, but I've never talked to him. He hasn't been on here since before I got here, so I was just curious who exactly this guy was. It's obvious he was a huge Mac fan with a lot to say, but I really don't know much about him. Where is he off to now, and why doesn't he post here anymore?

Thanks Guys,
Ethan

He got tired of people like you! :laugh:

markolas
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Lord, he's been gone 3 years and people are still talking about him. :laugh:

I don't think anybody's heard from him in a long time. He kept up with his LiveJournal for a while after he stopped posting here, but he stopped updating that about a year and a half ago.

This place is a lot less interesting without him around, I'll say that much!

David
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Lord, he's been gone 3 years and people are still talking about him. :laugh:

I don't think anybody's heard from him in a long time. He kept up with his LiveJournal for a while after he stopped posting here, but he stopped updating that about a year and a half ago.

This place is a lot less interesting without him around, I'll say that much!Bring him baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!

Musicman408
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
He got tired of people like you! :laugh:

Hey now, he stopped posting before I came here!!!:laugh:

ontheEdgeof17
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I miss the days of the '03-'05ish crew. We had a ball on here.

jbrownsjr
04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Diss was one of my fav's.... he could have me spitting coffee everywhere.... and I don't even drink the stuff.... :]

markolas
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM

It was something else! I never would've thought you could have that much fun on a fukcing message board. :cool:

Musicman408
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
It was something else! I never would've thought you could have that much fun on a fukcing message board. :cool:

What happened to the '03-'05 crew then???? It's sad that they aren't here because it seems like a lot of you all really liked them.:nod:

sara1998
04-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I miss us too. :(
What happened to the '03-'05 crew then???? It's sad that they aren't here because it seems like a lot of you all really liked them.:nod:
BANT.

Musicman408
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I miss us too. :(

BANT.

What happened?

markolas
04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
What happened?

It's a can of worms that is probably best left unopened.

And I don't think most were banned - a lot just stopped posting (I did for a while) and a few of us are still around. I've noticed a few familiar faces have reappeared lately, but it'll likely never really be the same.

ontheEdgeof17
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM

And I don't think most were banned - a lot just stopped posting (I did for a while) and a few of us are still around.

Exactly.

I just remember being in Canada when all hell broke loose. :shocked:

.....but I'm glad to be back around. I didn't post for over a year, if not longer....then decided to stick around again for awhile.

Phoenix
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Exactly.

.....but I'm glad to be back around. I didn't post for over a year, if not longer....then decided to stick around again for awhile.

..........:thumbsup:

sara1998
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM

And I don't think most were banned - a lot just stopped posting (I did for a while) and a few of us are still around. I've noticed a few familiar faces have reappeared lately, but it'll likely never really be the same.
You're probably right. I even had to walk away for a bit. But, no, it will never be the same...
Exactly.

And I really am so glad to see you! :wavey:

markolas
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Exactly.

Eh, it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Part of the reason I stepped back for a while, too, was that I really did get over the Mac and Stevie. Totally. I've started back listening to them again, but am mostly out of the loop with what's going on.

I'm glad to see you back here as well, and a few others who have resurfaced. :)

Musicman408
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Eh, it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Part of the reason I stepped back for a while, too, was that I really did get over the Mac and Stevie. Totally. I've started back listening to them again, but am mostly out of the loop with what's going on.

I'm glad to see you back here as well, and a few others who have resurfaced. :)

I think we all go through those periods! I know that I have! :nod:

trackaghost
04-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Is Josh (Dissention) still the top poster here?
From what I remember he started off as a massive Stevie fan but his fandom just waned, he discovered new bands, got disappointed with the Mac and the board. It happens.
I wonder what happened to Amber. She was the other big poster around here who simply stopped posting.

markolas
04-22-2009, 09:06 AM
From what I remember he started off as a massive Stevie fan but his fandom just waned, he discovered new bands, got disappointed with the Mac and the board. It happens.

He may very well be. Yeah, I think that's basically what happened. I don't think there was any big drama that precipitated his leaving. I'm thinking he basically just got bored with Livejournal and/or got busy with other things, because he just up and quit posting there, too.

I wonder what happened to Amber. She was the other big poster around here who simply stopped posting.
She sent me a message via MySpace last summer, but that's the last time I heard from her and she hasn't responded to my last couple of messages. :shrug:

Musicman408
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Josh still is the top poster. He must've posted like a MADMAN!!! He hasn't been on here in 3 and a half years, yet his "average" is still 11 a day or something like that. :nod:

BTFLCHLD
04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Josh still is the top poster. He must've posted like a MADMAN!!! He hasn't been on here in 3 and a half years, yet his "average" is still 11 a day or something like that. :nod:
<object width="240" height="185"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWDaClVGOSA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWDaClVGOSA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="240" height="185"></embed></object>

gretchen
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
^^^OMG :laugh::laugh::laugh:

David
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
<object width="240" height="185"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWDaClVGOSA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWDaClVGOSA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="240" height="185"></embed></object>
Could someone who speaks Video translate this for me -- specifically its signification in the context of this thread?

Musicman408
04-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Are you calling me a creeper because I asked about Josh?:laugh:

BTFLCHLD
04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Are you calling me a creeper because I asked about Josh?:laugh: b i n g o :laugh:
kind of applicable to a couple of your crushes too...hehe ;)

markolas
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Could someone who speaks Video translate this for me -- specifically its signification in the context of this thread?

You seriously can't figure it out? :laugh:

And btw, I always thought *you* were Ethan. ;)

skcin
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Most left when you came, I think. Probably just a coincidence.

yeah, that happened to several posters I think.

Yeah, I think he got a life. :shrug: It happens.

I haven't heard from Amber since last summer. No idea what happened to her.

David
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
You seriously can't figure it out? :laugh:They explained it finally.

And btw, I always thought *you* were Ethan. ;)I troll as myself. I wouldn't bother trolling as somebody else.

LukeA
04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
I troll as myself. I wouldn't bother trolling as somebody else.

Except on RMASN ;)

David
04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
yeah, that happened to several posters I think.It's always people who spend the first few years of their devotion to Stevie being absolutely intolerant of naysayers. It's an enormous Circle of Life. Everyone passes through the same stages, only at different times. Someone passes through the Idolatry stage in, say, 1980. He enters the I Hate Stevie stage in 1988. But somebody else in 1988 is only just entering the Idolatry stage, & gets really mad at the first person because of the things he is saying (fat Stevie, old Stevie, sluggish Stevie). The second person responds with the template speech: "If you don't like Fleetwood Mac anymore, why don't you post somewhere else?"

A year or two ... or three ... go by, & lo & behold the second person starts coming back from Stevie concerts somewhat disappointed: "Don't get me wrong, I still adore Stevie. But she didn't seem to be moving around much. And she wore those ugly frankenshoes, & sang all the same songs in the same way."

A few more concerts, & the second person is seriously DISenchanted with the Great Queen of the Silky-Soft Hair & Hands. But of course by that time, yet another fan is just entering the Idolatry stage, & suggests to the second fan to leave the Ledge "because it's obvious you don't like her anymore, so why are you still here?"

And so on & on & on. The Cycle of Life.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/clivebrook/CycleofLife.gif

chiliD
04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
It's always people who spend the first few years of their devotion to Stevie being absolutely intolerant of naysayers. It's an enormous Circle of Life. Everyone passes through the same stages, only at different times. Someone passes through the Idolatry stage in, say, 1980. He enters the I Hate Stevie stage in 1988. But somebody else in 1988 is only just entering the Idolatry stage, & gets really mad at the first person because of the things he is saying (fat Stevie, old Stevie, sluggish Stevie). The second person responds with the template speech: "If you don't like Fleetwood Mac anymore, why don't you post somewhere else?"

A year or two ... or three ... go by, & lo & behold the second person starts coming back from Stevie concerts somewhat disappointed: "Don't get me wrong, I still adore Stevie. But she didn't seem to be moving around much. And she wore those ugly frankenshoes, & sang all the same songs in the same way."

A few more concerts, & the second person is seriously DISenchanted with the Great Queen of the Silky-Soft Hair & Hands. But of course by that time, yet another fan is just entering the Idolatry stage, & suggests to the second fan to leave the Ledge "because it's obvious you don't like her anymore, so why are you still here?"

And so on & on & on. The Cycle of Life.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/clivebrook/CycleofLife.gif

But, you're leaving out the whole demographic of Fleetwood Mac fans who were fans well before one Stephanie Lynn Nicks ever stopped waiting tables at Hamburger Hamlet or ever set foot in a recording studio....and saw thru the whole "fairies & unicorns" BS she brought to the band...but, against their will, were smitten with her because she had "centerfold" type looks, not because of her voice or songwriting.

carrie721
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
But, you're leaving out the whole demographic of Fleetwood Mac fans who were fans well before one Stephanie Lynn Nicks ever stopped waiting tables at Hamburger Hamlet or ever set foot in a recording studio....and saw thru the whole "fairies & unicorns" BS she brought to the band...but, against their will, were smitten with her because she had "centerfold" type looks, not because of her voice or songwriting.

i think that demographic is called "chilid."

:lol:

LukeA
04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
There's also room for those who couldn't care less about the fairies & unicorns & the boots & the shawls & the relationships & the "mystique" and simply appreciate her contributions- both to FM and solo- at face value.

Cornflake Girl
04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
There's also room for those who couldn't care less about the fairies & unicorns & the boots & the shawls & the relationships & the "mystique" and simply appreciate her contributions- both to FM and solo- at face value.

Indeed.

Actually, I don't think Stevie has ever shown any kind of penchant for fairies or unicorns, or even mentioned them in her songs - that was Sandy Denny ("I've always kept a unicorn and I never sing out of tune"). :lol:

Tango
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I know his name has been brought up from time to time here and he also has more posts than anyone else on here, but I've never talked to him.

Perhaps it's best that you and he never spoke. He might have eaten your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :laugh:

markolas
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
He might have eaten your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :laugh:

Actually, I'm betting he would have. :laugh:

TwistedGypsy
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM

Those were the days....

becca
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Indeed.

Actually, I don't think Stevie has ever shown any kind of penchant for fairies or unicorns, or even mentioned them in her songs - that was Sandy Denny ("I've always kept a unicorn and I never sing out of tune"). :lol:

Uh oh, don't get Stevie fans turned onto Sandy Denny, they'll never look at Ms. Nicks the Welsh Witch the same way next to a genuine guitar playing short ash-blonde folk-rocker... (actually Sandy Denny has fans about as devoted as any here and I don't understand them either)

David
05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Uh oh, don't get Stevie fans turned onto Sandy Denny, they'll never look at Ms. Nicks the Welsh Witch the same way next to a genuine guitar playing short ash-blonde folk-rocker... (actually Sandy Denny has fans about as devoted as any here and I don't understand them either)Didn't some rock press writers in the 1970s periodically compare Christine to Sandy Denny?

becca
05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Touche' :)

I think I prefer Jo-Ann Kelly to all three anyway really... (hides)

Cornflake Girl
05-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Uh oh, don't get Stevie fans turned onto Sandy Denny, they'll never look at Ms. Nicks the Welsh Witch the same way next to a genuine guitar playing short ash-blonde folk-rocker... (actually Sandy Denny has fans about as devoted as any here and I don't understand them either)

I don't think night of a thousand Sandys will ever emerge though. :lol:

Jo Ann Kelly had an incredible voice! Love the Blues and Gospel EP. I'm just a sucker for Sandy's voice though - I even like the strange Scottish accent she puts on occasionally.

David
05-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I prefer Jo-Ann Kelly to all three anyway really... (hides)My favorite is Betty Hutton, by a mile. I'd love to attend a Night of a Thousand Bettys.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClGNm89GZBE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClGNm89GZBE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mmm stevie nick
05-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I absolutely adored Josh. Diss had read every book, seen every movie and heard every song ever sung. He had a passion for Blondie. Always fast at the keys, he would split your sides with laughter unimaginable. It was impossible to outwit him. He'd squash you like a bug and oddly you'd get a kick out of it.

I believe deep down he loved Stevie and The Mac, but he knew he was entertaining us with the humorous things he'd have to say about all of them. Some of his avatars and signatures were a riot also.

Back in the day you could read for hours and laugh for days after. Good times!

I wanted to add, I met Diss at Mick Fleetwood's board, although he was a member here long before Mick's board of horrors started. Then the whole Jonathan Todd fiasco took place. Fans ripped off, the whole "this will be the most fan connected tour ever." Backstage video's and photo's, the whole nine yards. Well a bunch of fans paid for the special privileges and got close to nothing. I think there were a couple of photos of Micks luggage. Yeah, it was that bad.

Anyway, JT, or Turdman had a link to his website designing company at the bottom of Mick's board. I followed through and found a picture of Turdman at an airport I think. I posted it and got banned. Diss doctored it up with a bloody nose and a caption about Stevie putting her boot up Turdmans ass and that got Diss banned.

God those were the funniest days of my life.

Ghost_Tracker
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Dissention was somebody who often departed from the generally accepted
theories and opinions regarding Fleetwood Mac. There was often variance
between his point-of-view and that of others, and an occasional little tiff
or inconsonance.

( http://www.m-w.com :lol: )

David
05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I think dissention was just a pseudonym for ...

RICOHV!!!!