PDA

View Full Version : Etta James

gldstwmn
04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Did anyone else catch Etta on Dancing With The Stars? She looks and sounds amazing!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/84GL9Z26J80&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/84GL9Z26J80&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chiliD
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I thought she SOUNDED amazing...she looked very feeble. I'm not sure that such dramatic weight loss was all that healthy for her.

strandinthewind
04-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I loathe that style of singing. I much prefer the original, more melodic version, where the phrases mostly are ended on one, not 20, notes. But, she does sound great.

gldstwmn
04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought she SOUNDED amazing...she looked very feeble. I'm not sure that such dramatic weight loss was all that healthy for her.

I know. I tried to find some info on Etta's health post bypass surgery. But the only thing I found was something from five or six years ago saying she had no negative effects from the surgery. For a woman of 71, her face is absolutely stunning though. I couldn't believe how tiny she looked. I also wondered why she was back to sitting in the chair (not that I mind). I guess her knees never got that much better.

gldstwmn
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I loathe that style of singing. I much prefer the original, more melodic version, where the phrases mostly are ended on one, not 20, notes. But, she does sound great.

I liked her little jazzy riffs. The original doesn't sound that different to me except that she left out a few of the high notes.

wheart
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I thought she looked great and liked her performance. The only negative I have is that she seemed unable to hold the notes for any length of time. Maybe Im just used to Beyonce belting it out.

chiliD
04-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I thought she looked great and liked her performance. The only negative I have is that she seemed unable to hold the notes for any length of time. Maybe Im just used to Beyonce belting it out.

Well, singing while sitting isn't condusive to breathing into the notes and being able to hold them. If she stood (or was ABLE to stand) while singing, I'm sure that she would've been able to hold the notes a bit longer. But, jeez, she's 71, I wouldn't expect her to hold the notes for as long as she did when she was 22, even if she was the picture of good health.