PDA

View Full Version : Paul Simon

Nico
04-05-2009, 01:10 AM
I've noticed there's never much said about Paul Simon or his music on this forum and I've always wondered why. I figure he's probably not that interesting of a person, but his music has always been one of the great loves of my life. It has profoundly touched me. I think he is absolutely one of the greatest songwriters ever and one of the few out there who can pretty much move me to tears.

So...yeah, I thought I'd make a little post about him. I doubt many will care or post, but I want to recognize him because I've always thought it was unfair how he can sometimes be categorized as somewhat schmaltzy/pretentious...I guess there's a bit of that in there, but so much of it is so perfect that it really doesn't bother me.:cool:

Anyone else? Song/album/lyric? Anything?:shrug: lol!

GODDESS6
04-05-2009, 07:33 AM
i love paul simon & simon & garfunkel~ i love their song 'the boxer' & as for paul, well '50 ways to leave your lover'~

chriskisn
04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
I've noticed there's never much said about Paul Simon or his music on this forum and I've always wondered why. I figure he's probably not that interesting of a person, but his music has always been one of the great loves of my life. It has profoundly touched me. I think he is absolutely one of the greatest songwriters ever and one of the few out there who can pretty much move me to tears.

So...yeah, I thought I'd make a little post about him. I doubt many will care or post, but I want to recognize him because I've always thought it was unfair how he can sometimes be categorized as somewhat schmaltzy/pretentious...I guess there's a bit of that in there, but so much of it is so perfect that it really doesn't bother me.:cool:

Anyone else? Song/album/lyric? Anything?:shrug: lol!

Well for me Paul Simon (with and without Art Garfunkel) has always been the music that my Mum listens to.

When I was about 19 my Mum taped (yes onto a cassette!) a few tracks that I liked for me to play in my car - The Boxer, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Kodachrome, Slip Slidin' Away, etc. Similarly she taped things like CCR, Melissa Etheridge and Dire Straits. Funny how things change - now she borrows my albums :lol:

I do have both the Paul Simon Greatest Hits (Shining Like A National Guitar) and the Definitive Simon & Garfunkel albums because I like some of the songs on there. Don't think I've ever played them though :eek:

He's got a good voice, writes good lyrics, but to be honest, Paul Simon hasn't really registered on my musical radar other than a couple of tracks. Then again, neither has the Beatles...

Nico
04-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Well for me Paul Simon (with and without Art Garfunkel) has always been the music that my Mum listens to.

I can understand that...:)

I guess that's true for a lot of people.

I think I'm just an old soul because I've always been into the music my parents listen to- particularly my dad. He's more along my taste whereas my mom is into more classical/jazz...but I love that as well.

I think my favorite Paul Simon album is a toss-up between Graceland, Rhythm of the Saints, and his self-titled debut...but I pretty much love them all.

Current fave song: She Moves On :xoxo:

Nico
04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
i love paul simon & simon & garfunkel~ i love their song 'the boxer' & as for paul, well '50 ways to leave your lover'~

Hmm... 50 Ways... has never been one of my favorites but I know so many people who adore it, so I must be missing something.

GODDESS6
04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Hmm... 50 Ways... has never been one of my favorites but I know so many people who adore it, so I must be missing something.

i love 'you can call me al' too:D~

Nico
04-05-2009, 02:06 PM
i love 'you can call me al' too:D~

That one I love. And the video is legendary. Too bad it's not on youtube. :(

I have always loved the song I Know What I Know because it sounds so conversational, and as long as I can remember I've always adored songs like that (Your Song by Elton John and Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles are two examples).

I Know what I Know

She looked me over
And I guess she thought
I was all right
All right in a sort of a limited way
For an off-night
She said dont I know you
From the cinematographers party
I said who am i
To blow against the wind
I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
Thats a thing that I keep
In the back of my head

She said theres something about you
That really reminds me of money
She is the kind of a girl
Who could say things that
Weren't that funny
I said what does that mean
I really remind you of money
She said who am i
To blow against the wind

I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
In the back of my head

She moved so easily
All I could think of was sunlight
I said aren't you the women
Who was recently given a Fulbright
She said don't I know you
I said who am i
To blow against the wind

I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
In the back of my head

sywlindseyfan
04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
wel I would always talk about Paul, but i figured this forum was limited to Fleetwood, and their kind. I am the biggest S&G fan ever. Their reunion tour is what got me into them in 2003. I was in love with music, but after hearing paul and his guitar, i decided that's what I want to do. So My dad bought me a guitar, and I learned how to play. My very first song I learned was Scarborough Fair Canticle, and strummed Mrs. Robinson. I have been perfomring all of Pauls songs at talent shows, and gigs. I love all S&G music ask me anything you want and i know it. i met some of Paul Simon's band on his last tour for his "Surprise" cd, which is flippin amazing.

All i do is finger pick on guitar. So when i starte listening to Fleetwood, because of my mom, I fell in love with Lindsey's guitar playing, and his is my god for electric, as well as paul on acoustic.

I have collected al of the Simon and garfunkel albums they ever made together, ad I am going to try to see them this summer in Australia. I love Art solo, paul solo, and of course them together.

if anyone has even read this far, I also in 7th grade had my science teacher call me from the S&G concert she went to in 2003, and listened to Bridge Over Troubled Water. hahaha I talk on this forum...you might want to check it

paul-simon.info

-Marty

DigYourGrave
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Graceland-One of my favourite favourite albums of all time.
Saw Paul last year. He was amazing and had the most energetic band with him. They really lit up the crowd.

I love Father and Daughter. It holds such a big place in my heart.
Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes is fantastic aswell! :thumbsup:

Cornflake Girl
04-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm a huge Paul Simon fan. As far as I'm concerned Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints are two of the best albums of all time. I love how he combines music from all over the world with incredibly powerful and often very down to earth and relatable lyrics. He's also pretty consistant, I haven't been let down by any of his albums.

My favourites are, Learning How to Fall, She Moves On, Graceland, Homeless and Diamonds of the Soles of Her Shoes.

Cornflake Girl
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
That one I love. And the video is legendary. Too bad it's not on youtube. :(

I have always loved the song I Know What I Know because it sounds so conversational, and as long as I can remember I've always adored songs like that (Your Song by Elton John and Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles are two examples).

I Know what I Know

She looked me over
And I guess she thought
I was all right
All right in a sort of a limited way
For an off-night
She said dont I know you
I said who am i
To blow against the wind
I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
In the back of my head

She said theres something about you
That really reminds me of money
She is the kind of a girl
Who could say things that
Weren't that funny
I said what does that mean
I really remind you of money
She said who am i
To blow against the wind

I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
In the back of my head

She moved so easily
All I could think of was sunlight
I said aren't you the women
Who was recently given a Fulbright
She said don't I know you
I said who am i
To blow against the wind

I know what I know
Ill sing what I said
We come and we go
In the back of my head

That song is actually all about when he first met Carrie Fisher, who he was later married to.

Nico
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
That song is actually all about when he first met Carrie Fisher, who he was later married to.

Seriously? Actually, I have read several sources that say the entire Graceland album is about Carrie Fisher. I'm pretty sure that could be true...either about her or inspired by her. They were together/apart/together while it was being made, so...

One thing that certainly was about her were these particular lines:

She comes back to tell me she's gone
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed
As if I'd never noticed
The way she brushed her
hair from her forehead

I've always thought they were such a cute couple. Really...she was shorter than him too.
http://www.morethings.com/music/paul_simon/simon-garfunkel_pictures/paul-simon_carrie_fisher-wedding-photo.jpg
http://www.citywendy.com/.a/6a00d8341c3c1f53ef01053688dd54970c-320pi
http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/LIFPOD/1264317%7EPaul-Simon-with-Girlfriend-Carrie-Fisher-at-Party-for-Fisher-s-Dad-Singer-Eddie-Fisher-Posters.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/22/article-1088513-0289CB50000005DC-508_468x565.jpg

Richard B
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Paul Simon is way cool. I like the song Hearts & Bones the best.
As he and Carrie Fisher, they lasted only 1 year!

I think Edie Brickell is much more his speed and they are the perfect folksy couple. He settled down with the right woman for sure. I'd love an album where they both sing together.

Nico
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Paul Simon is way cool. I like the song Hearts & Bones the best.
As he and Carrie Fisher, they lasted only 1 year!

I think Edie Brickell is much more his speed and they are the perfect folksy couple. He settled down with the right woman for sure. I'd love an album where they both sing together.

I really love Edie, though, I just think, physically-speaking, Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher were a very adorable couple.

And they were together for far longer than 1 year. They dated for 7 or so years, married, then divorced, then dated for 5 or so years afterward. I mean, it was probably a very deep love but I happen to believe Carrie when she said that her and Paul were two flowers and what they both needed was a gardener- that and the fact that she was kind of a drug-addict. He definitely needed something more stable, but I wouldn't dismiss their relationship at all. From all I've heard/read, they loved each other deeply and have remained friends.

Carrie said in a recent interview that he was probably the love of her life.:shrug:

Richard B
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I really love Edie, though, I just think, physically-speaking, Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher were a very adorable couple.

And they were together for far longer than 1 year. They dated for 7 or so years, married, then divorced, then dated for 5 or so years afterward. I mean, it was probably a very deep love but I happen to believe Carrie when she said that her and Paul were two flowers and what they both needed was a gardener- that and the fact that she was kind of a drug-addict. He definitely needed something more stable, but I wouldn't dismiss their relationship at all. From all I've heard/read, they loved each other deeply and have remained friends.

Carrie said in a recent interview that he was probably the love of her life.:shrug:

I had no idea they were together that long! He's been married to Edie for awhile now, since the mid 90's, no? Those pics are great with Simon and Fisher. They are indeed adorable and I think they're both short. ;-)
I also had no idea they dated even after there divorce. Strange how "marriage" affects couples. Are they still friends?

Simon and Fisher both have a gift for words.

Nico
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I had no idea they were together that long! He's been married to Edie for awhile now, since the mid 90's, no?
Yes, he's been married to her since 1992. They have three kids.

Those pics are great with Simon and Fisher. They are indeed adorable and I think they're both short. ;-)
Yeah, that was totally what I meant when I said they were cute. I'm sure they were cute in other ways, but I know neither of them nor their relationship personally, so I'm looking purely at aesthetics. It's cute how he's short and small and she's shorter and smaller. It looks balanced.lol! :) Edie Brickell is very cool, but she towers over him and I've never considered her attractive, or at least she isn't as attractive as Carrie to me. But that's hardly here or there...

I also had no idea they dated even after there divorce. Strange how "marriage" affects couples. Are they still friends?

Yup. I kind of fudged the dates, but this is from Carrie's bio: "Paul and I dated for six years, were married for two, divorced for one, and then we dated again. We were together for more than 12 years (off and on) and we traveled a lot."

They are still good friends. Ok, in her bio she talks about everything but never once does she say anything negative about him. I mean, aside from the normal stuff about them having disagreements, she doesn't say anything demeaning to his character and appears to have utmost respect for him. I read another interview with her and Penny Marshall (I think) and she said he was the best ex-husband or something along those lines. I know she was close to his son, because he was living at her house for some time when he was younger...

But I like what she says here: "The last place we went to was the Amazon, which I recommend if you like mosquitoes.

When we got back, Paul wrote an album called The Rhythm Of The Saints - and on this album is the last song he ever wrote about me - and it's called She Moves On (an ironic title).

Anyway, one of the lyrics of the song goes like this: 'She is like a top / She cannot stop.' So yeah, he knew me. But the lyric I really wanted to tell you about was this: 'And I'm afraid that I'll be taken / Abandoned and forsaken / In her cold coffee eyes ...'

Yep, I'm a bitch. Poor Paul. He had to put up with a lot."

I've always really liked her, without the PS association. She's interesting, funny, and candid. Plus, she has bipolar and has gone through quite a lot. I have a close friend with bipolar and it's inspirational to her when she hears about other people's stories...so I kind of got into Carrie partly from her and partly from "Star Wars." lol!