PDA

View Full Version : Tusk Vinylrip 24bit-96kHz -question

shackin'up
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
So I found an incredible 24bit-96kHz Vinylrip of the whole Tusk-album, and it just totally brings back the warmth of the first months of listening to that album in 79.

The files are huge. I downloaded the flacs, and it was 1,3 GB.

Now I've converted them to wavefiles: 2,38 GB.

I'm not an audiophile, but can I burn them on 4 cd's and keep the quality, or do i have to burn it to DVD, because it has that qualityformat? I can't play a dvd in the car or on my normal stereo, so what's the right way to handle these files?

David
03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Gerald, don't you think that the funny Fin butthead might know the answer to this audiophile question?

jedw
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
You can put the "Files" on 4 cd's if you want, but they won't play in a CD player like that.
Cd players play 44Khz 16 bit audio, and some newer ones play mp3 files. But i've never heard of one playing FLAC or 96Khz anything.

Again you could put them on a DVD, but they would be likely still be in a computer format.

No offense, but you want to play them in the car?
surely CD-quality is sufficient in a car ;) with road noise and all.

SACD is a format that plays 96khz quality (i think) but unless you have a SACD player.....

shackin'up
03-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Gerald, don't you think that the funny Fin butthead might know the answer to this audiophile question?

yes, I think so. I also asked it on the other board.

shackin'up
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
You can put the "Files" on 4 cd's if you want, but they won't play in a CD player like that.
Cd players play 44Khz 16 bit audio, and some newer ones play mp3 files. But i've never heard of one playing FLAC or 96Khz anything.

Again you could put them on a DVD, but they would be likely still be in a computer format.

No offense, but you want to play them in the car?
surely CD-quality is sufficient in a car ;) with road noise and all.

SACD is a format that plays 96khz quality (i think) but unless you have a SACD player.....

Thank you.

But I know cd-players won't play Flac files, that's why I converted them to Wave....

estranged4life
03-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Thank you.

But I know cd-players won't play Flac files, that's why I converted them to Wave....

foobar2000 to burn the flac files to CDR, and they played easily in my Sony CD changer. I use foobar2000 as my primary PC burner since one does not need to change files from to flac to wav to burn a disc.

And thanks for the link Gerald - the vinyl rip sounds great.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

jedw
03-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Thank you.

Sorry if my reply looked like I hadn't read what you said properly,
I know you have converted to wave, but to create a audio cd, the software will downconvert to 16bit 44khz for you. If it didn't do this, the CD wouldn't play.

shackin'up
03-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Sorry if my reply looked like I hadn't read what you said properly,
I know you have converted to wave, but to create a audio cd, the software will downconvert to 16bit 44khz for you. If it didn't do this, the CD wouldn't play.

Ah, that sounds totally understandable, thank you. So I should burn them on DVD and hook the DVDplayer up to the stereo for the best result?

jedw
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Dvd standard would seem to support upto 24-bits/192 kHz (according to wikipedia)
so yeh, in excess in fact.