PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

LikeAWillow
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking about applying to transfer from my current school, Wellesley College, to schools on the West Coast. There are so many pros and cons, and I would really love to get a few opinions. Just for the record, I have a high gpa as well as substantial extra circulars that I think would give me at least a 50/50 shot at most of the schools I'm aiming for: Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Claremont McKenna, and Pomona. I was accepted into USC after my senior year in high school but turned them down; I've never applied to any of the other schools before.

Pros about Wellesley:

IT'S FREE. I was given an amazing financial aid package ( which was the deciding factor for me last year. )
The alumni network is incredible.
My non-major classes are first rate - classes are small and always discussion based.
Wellesley is incredibly well respected, and I know that part of the reason I was offered a wonderful internship this summer was brand name power.
This one is a little embarrassing, but my mom could not be more proud of the fact that I go to Wellesley. I don't want to let her down. :o

Cons about Wellesley:

A large portion of the student body is unbelievably wealthy and elitist- I hope I'm not the latter, and I'm CERTAINLY not the former. I feel isolated and disconnected from my peers.
The institutional policy of grade deflation is counter productive to my ultimate goal of attending Berkeley for law school. I've managed to beat the curve so far, but it's hard to explain the frustration of being informed that a "perfect paper" is a B+ or that an A- is as far as the professor will ever be willing to go.
My major is English, but I've found my classes in the department so far to be the most underwhelming of any I've taken.
Hand holding is taken to the max at Swells- students live in single room dorms all four years, are REQUIRED to be on the meal plan, and are given almost no opportunity to live off campus. I'm rather independent, and I can't help but feel stifled...already.

Pros about transferring to a CA school:

Better weather! Haha, what a horrible first reason, but I've always been in love with California. Winters depress me to the point that it affects my school work.
A chance to grow- the schools I'm applying to are either large or part of a consortium. I don't want my hand to be held. I want a true living and learning experience.
More satisfying English classes. Again, I want to grow, I don't want to coast.
A more laid back attitude and a higher level of diversity (especially socio-economic)
An escape from grade deflation and the satisfaction of knowing that the work I've done is being evaluated fairly.

Cons of the transfer:

I won't necessarily be given the same full ride that I have at Wellesley (although at CMC and Pomona I would be)
Slight loss of prestige depending on the school
Parental disappointment
Even further away from home (although as it is, I'm only able to return for Christmas and summer break, so this really isn't a huge factor)

Does anyone have any thoughts? And thank you to whoever bothered to read all this- it was helpful just to get it down in words.

LukeA
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
When you say "west coast", do you exclusively mean California? Have you given any thought to Reed College?

LikeAWillow
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a personal bias against Reed because it was high on my roommate's list, and I can't stand my drug-dealing-out-of-our-room roommate :laugh: I also feel like (as much as I hate the homogeneous type-A nature of Wellesley) Reed might actually be a little *too* laid back for me. Don't they have a policy of not releasing grades unless a student needs them for grad school apps?

I'm mainly interested in California because of how much I fell in love with it when I visited USC, but I'm definitely also open to other suggestions, so thank you (and thank you for reading my rantings in general haha. I know they weren't exactly entertaining)

camchristo
03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Honestly, I would go to whichever school is going to best help you acheive your future goals. It doesn't sound like Wellesley is the best fit for you and you still have three more years.

The scholarship is a big deal and I would give a lot of consideration to what types of scholarships the schools you are considering will offer. I (essentially) made my undergraduate choice based on scholarship. My degree is from Indiana University but I actually attended a local extension. The scholarship didn't transfer to campus and I couldn't see throwing away a free ride. However, I did not have aspirations of attending Berkeley for law school. I went to Valparaiso for law school and had no problem getting in after attending the extension.

I still have some small regrets about not transferring to campus and experiencing the real "college life". On the other hand, I'm glad that I only have loans for law school - trust me those are quite enough. I'll be paying for another 20 years! You're a bright girl though, and you'll probably get a great job at a high paying firm after law school. In which case, your loans won't be such a big deal.

Your parents will get over it. Ultimately you have to be happy and productive during your education. I'm sure your parents will be equally as proud once they've adapted to your decision.

So, I would decide, again, based on which school you think will make it easier for you to achieve your ultimate goal. I'd also give a lot of consideration to where you think you will feel comfortable and appreciated.

It looks like you've given it a lot of thought. If you're thinking this hard about it before the end of your first year, you might be happier if you make a switch. Good luck and keep us posted.

LikeAWillow
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Cammie, you are wonderful :xoxo: I think I've decided that, at the very least, I'm going to apply to all of those schools next year. It's a pretty big financial investment for something I'm not 100% sure on (thank you, $60 application fees), but I think it's worth it to at least have options in front of me. Wellesley is an amazing school, but I'm just not sure it's right for me.

And I am so not telling my mother until the admittance letters are in hand :lol:

Tango
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I have to admit, FREE sold me. Especially in this economy. Get your undergraduate degree FREE, enjoy the family support and closeness--then move to California and live your dream, get your graduate degree, etc. Whatever you do, good luck and keep working hard.

camchristo
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Those app fees suck. But, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and find out that the school you most want to attend will offer you a great scholarship.

And if you receive grades that actually reflect your quality of work, and stay involved in extracurriculars, you'll gain prestige quickly.

I agree, I'd see what options are available first and make up your mind as to where you want to go before you tell your mom. That way, you won't be swayed by her trying to convince you to stay put or choose one over another.

Does your S.O. play any part in this or is it not that serious?

LikeAWillow
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Does your S.O. play any part in this or is it not that serious?

Haha, oh god, this is a whole other can of worms. I'm in the midst of an identity crisis on top of the "Wellesley isn't a good fit" crisis :laugh: , and I've decided the only thing I can do is consider the academic without the influence of the relationship at all. I mean, we live together, it's very serious but...... I guess I just have a lot of questions about what I want, who I am, and what's right for me right now.

LikeAWillow
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I have to admit, FREE sold me. Especially in this economy. Get your undergraduate degree FREE, enjoy the family support and closeness--then move to California and live your dream, get your graduate degree, etc. Whatever you do, good luck and keep working hard.

Thank you for the kind words :xoxo: It's true that Wellesley's free ride is hard to walk away from. I'm hoping that I get a few similar offers, but I know I can't count on that.

camchristo
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Haha, oh god, this is a whole other can of worms. I'm in the midst of an identity crisis on top of the "Wellesley isn't a good fit" crisis :laugh: , and I've decided the only thing I can do is consider the academic with the influence of the relationship at all. I mean, we live together, it's very serious but...... I guess I just have a lot of questions about what I want, who I am, and what's right for me right now.

You have a lot on your plate. Pm me if you want to chat about it more. :xoxo:

JazmenFlowers
03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I decided against law school at the last minute and I'm glad I did so I can't help you with that front. I will say, however, that probably the only regret I have is not following my heart and going away to college. English was my major and almost ALL of my classes were geared towards students who had other majors so I never really got a lot of out my classes. PLUS, I was bitter that I didn't move and experience college elsewhere. I know the money situation is scary, but schools loans are the best debt to have. On my limited ability to really help you (sorry!) and just from my personal experience, I say you make the move. if you don't like it, you can always move back, right? I will also say I pretty much agree with all that Camster said. best of luck to you!

HejiraNYC
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Just to follow up on the issue of "free," I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice by giving that up. Let's face it- what is really important here is law school- you definitely want to get into the best law school you can get into, no matter the cost, since that will pretty much determine the fate of your career. I think a prestigious school like Wellesley will open up the doors to many, many law schools. The last thing you want is to go to a less prestigious school and actually have undergrad loans to pay off for the next few decades. I know people well into their 30's who are still groaning under six figures worth of student loan debt. Accordingly, despite making decent livings, they are still unable to "move on"- settling down, buying a home, having nice things, etc. They are almost indentured slaves to the student loans. :eek: So, yes, law school student loans are a necessary evil... but undergrad student loans are totally optional in your situation- why take on more than you need to? Sure, Wellesley may be a stifling, sometimes unpleasant environment on a number of fronts, but you should keep your eyes on the ultimate prize. All of this is fleeting and will eventually pass. And the decisions you make now will affect your quality of life later on. It's nice to think that our major decisions in life should not be dictated by finance, but unless you have a trust fund or plan on hitting the lottery, it is a reality of life.

I thank my lucky stars every day that I never took out student loans!