PDA

View Full Version : Natasha Richardson Dies

GODDESS6
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
http://perezhilton.com/2009-03-17-rip-232

This is so horribly tragic!
Natasha Richardson has passed away after her fatal skiing accident in Canada on Monday.
Although public reports have not yet confirmed it, sources close to Richardson’s family and friends tell say they have already been told the awful news: she did not survived the accident, Time Out New York is reporting.
Such a devastating loss of a gifted actress at a young age. She was on a beginner slope! And, after the accident, she was said to be talking and walking.
So sad. So so sad.
Natasha was just 45 years old.
She is survived by her husband, actor Liam Neeson, and two adolescent sons, as well as mother Vanessa Redgrave and sister Joely Richardson.
Our thoughts go out to her entire family.
Rest in peace.

BTFLCHLD
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

HejiraNYC
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh dear... when I heard this morning that she had suffered head injuries, I knew this would not end well... :distress: Such a lovely, talented actress and singer.

gretchen
03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Oh my GOD!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
How unbelievably horrific!

BombaySapphire3
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear this..that family has had it's share of tradgedy.Good thoughts to her mother..the great Vanessa.

BTFLCHLD
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
T.O.N.Y. updated:

Although public reports have not yet confirmed it, sources close to Richardson's family and friends say they have already been told the awful news: She will not survive the accident, and is currently brain dead.

gretchen
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Life is so fleeting...it can vanish like a wisp of steam in the slightest of breezes. :distress::distress:

trackaghost
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh wow. This is so tragic.
I was lucky enough to interview Natasha a few years back and she was so warm and friendly and genuine. After the interview she stayed chatting to me about her family and children. She really was a classy, lovely lady. This is very sad news.

BTFLCHLD
03-17-2009, 01:36 PM
CNN reporting...

Richardson was taken to a hospital near Station Mont Tremblant before she was transferred to Hopital du Sacre-Coeur in Montreal following her fall on Monday, according to the statement. However, she was transferred Tuesday to an undisclosed location in the United States, according to Michelle Simard, spokeswoman for Hopital du Sacre-Coeur.

I'm going to hold onto some hope here...

GODDESS6
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
CNN reporting...

I'm going to hold onto some hope here...

me too, i have heard tons of conflicting reports in the last hour as to her condition~

i hope it isn't true that she has passed, if it isn't true, i will be pissed that it was reported as so~

ontheEdgeof17
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
New reports say she is on life support and will transported to NYC to be disconnected. Why, I dunno? :shrug:

Nico
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
This is terribly sad.I have the "Cabaret" Broadway soundtrack and I really loved her performance as Sally. She was extraordinary. Oh, that's such a shame. I love skiing, but it is no joke. I mean, no joke. I feel so bad for her children and husband.

It seems lately, in my own life, people are passing away left and right. :distress:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
03-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Has this actually been confirmed yet?

BTFLCHLD
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Has this actually been confirmed yet? The family may have a press-release later today.
There is a video circulating of Natasha's family entering and later exiting Lenox Hill Hospital (NY), and various reports that do not provide a positive outlook.

I hope there is an official press-release soon. It was uncomfortable to see the family filmed in distress, especially Natasha's children, with papraz-pricks shouting out the insensitive crap that they do. One can only hope 'they' back off from the invasion and allow the family privacy.

I read items such as below and it just tears a heart out...what that must be like to be in this/that situation...

"The rule of thumb is: You have two neurological exams, 12 hours apart, to show that there is no evidence of higher brain activity," said Dr. Philip Stieg, chairman of New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell's department of neurological surgery.

"If that is so, the patient is brain-dead; they are clinically dead."

At that point, he said, "The family has two options:

"You turn off the ventilator, the heart will stop beating, and that is it," he said. Or, the family can keep her alive a bit longer "and allow them time to say goodbye."

Gypsy-Rhiannon
03-18-2009, 11:02 AM
It is very sad indeed. I was in the company of an actress friend of Natasha's last night and she was very distressed at the news

animal
03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
A spokesman for the family of Natasha Richardson says the actress has died. Richardson, a gifted and precocious heiress to acting royalty whose career highlights included the film "Patty Hearst" and a Tony-winning performance in a stage revival of "Cabaret," died after suffering an apparent head injury from a skiing accident. She was 45

Alan Nierob of Rogers & Cowan said in a statement Wednesday night: "Liam Neeson, his sons, and the entire family are shocked and devastated by the tragic death of their beloved Natasha. They are profoundly grateful for the support, love and prayers of everyone, and ask for privacy during this very difficult time."

RIP Natasha.

kak125
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
wow that is so sad!! what an awful thing that has happened to her. i was going to try skiing but now i am not going to even attempt it

HejiraNYC
03-18-2009, 08:12 PM
wow that is so sad!! what an awful thing that has happened to her. i was going to try skiing but now i am not going to even attempt it

This is very tragic indeed... and it really could have happened to anybody. In fact, she could have merely fallen down a few stairs and had the same result. :distress: I have always believed that when it's your time, it's your time- ain't a thing you could do to stop it.

Anyway, don't let this stop you from trying skiing. I didn't try skiing until I was 33, and one of the great regrets of my life is that I didn't start earlier in life. Nevertheless, I picked it up quite well- it's almost second nature to me now. Just make sure you don't go around doing anything stupid and you'll be fine...

diane_k
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
This is very tragic indeed... and it really could have happened to anybody. In fact, she could have merely fallen down a few stairs and had the same result. :distress: I have always believed that when it's your time, it's your time- ain't a thing you could do to stop it.

Anyway, don't let this stop you from trying skiing. I didn't try skiing until I was 33, and one of the great regrets of my life is that I didn't start earlier in life. Nevertheless, I picked it up quite well- it's almost second nature to me now. Just make sure you don't go around doing anything stupid and you'll be fine...

I hope this wasn't the case with poor Ms. Richardson.

~DK

kak125
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM

yes that is very true about what you said about it when its your time its your time. of course i am the type that thinks i can control everything - i dont even fly for fear of the plane crashing. i always think the worst, its a bad habit of mine. i want to try skiing so bad but my hubby is leary because i am a total clutz and somehow find a way to hurt myself doing just everyday normal things.

Nico
03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Skiing is one of the most exciting sports out there. I love it and have been doing it for years. But it is also extremely dangerous. Didn't Sonny Bono also suffer a similar death?

But I really agree that it isn't very healthy to over-analyze everything you do. I mean, a professor from my undergrad college died over the summer while riding his bike. He was an experienced cyclist, was wearing his helmet, but that meant nothing...

I'm really sorry about this poor woman. Like I said, she did an amazing job in "Cabaret" and I recommend everyone go out and get the album...I mean, Alan Cumming is genius anyway, but the whole cast is great and I loved her singing.

iamnotafraid
03-19-2009, 02:12 AM
This is very sad.

Lindsey Jr.
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
She was a very pretty woman, RIP. And isn't it ironic? Liam Neeson as Ra's/Ducard in Batman Begins: "I had a wife once, she was taken from me"...

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/88/230x306/88334_liam-neeson-and-natasha-richardson-arrive-at-the-other-man-premiere-at-the-odeon-west-end-on-october-17-2008-in-london-england.jpg

:(

HejiraNYC
03-19-2009, 08:38 AM
I hope this wasn't the case with poor Ms. Richardson.

~DK

Well, obviously I wasn't there, so I don't know. But from what I've heard/read, she fell while learning to ski on one of the bunny slopes. I can only theorize (based on no data whatsoever) that she must have fallen on something very, very hard. This time of year, in the east, when the days are warm and the nights are freezing, the ski slopes tend to get very icy. And in my opinion, it is never a good idea to ski on ice, especially if you are just learning for the first time. And having taken more than one or two spills on an icy slope, I can assure you that it is not pleasant!

Gypsy-Rhiannon
03-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Liam Neeson plays a guy who loses his wife in Love Actually (one of my fave films) I will find it even more upsetting to watch now :(

ILoveFM
03-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I am so heartbroken by this. It is so sad! She had two kids and a wonderful husband and family and she was only 45! This is just awful.

gretchen
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
So absolutely horrible. :(

Tango
03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
This thread might be a place to mention an odd and loose Fleetwood Mac connection to this topic. Many fans here already know Stevie Nicks wrote the song "Julia" in response to the movie, Julia, starring Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave, Natasha Richardson's mother.

Here's what Stevie said back in 1986 about "Julia" Writing out a Stevie interview is almost impossible as Stevie stops and starts thoughts her thoughts, but someone took the time to do it here: http://www.inherownwords.com/rockalit.htm

I'm Lily. I've been Lily for a long time, actually because in my writing, in my book and everything, I, when I write about me and my friend Robin who everybody knows that I lost to leukemia--I wrote about her and I as Lily and Julia. Julia and Lillian Hellman, so that movie [Julia], you know with Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave,so Robin looked incredibly like Vanessa Redgrave and I-- I was very Jane Fonda you know. And our relationship was very much like this like you know, come on across the river but don't forget to tell me that you're really afraid so in case you fall in I'll be expecting it. Don't lie to me and say 'Alright, I'll do it because you think I'm brave.'
Stevie Nicks, Mary Turner "Off the Record" Interview, 1986

Someone uploaded a Julia demo if you want to listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAkqdGFly0

Meanwhile, more connected to Natasha directly, Jane Fonda, who is currently starring on Broadway in a play, posted on her website:

Utter Sadness Because Natasha Richardson Has Died

I first met her on the set of “Julia.” She was a little girl but already
beautiful and graceful. It didn’t surprise me that she became such a
talented actor. I wanted to go to the Lennox Hill Hospital where I was
told she had been taken to see if there was anything I could do for
Vanessa, any comfort I could bring but today was a two-show day and as
the curtain went up tonight I heard the tragic news. It is hard to even
imagine what it must be like for her family. My heart is heavy.

Steviefan49
03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I was SOOO saddened to hear this news as I adored this woman! She had to be one of the classiest and most wonderful actresses I've seen in a very long time. She was SOOO young, and way too young to go.. RIP Natasha:angel:

macmar71
03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
This is so sad. I loved her in the Parent Trap remake and Maid In Manhattan. She was so beautiful. She will be missed.:distress:

DigYourGrave
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
A true Lady of the acting world.
Liam is held in such high regard, as an actor AND as a gent, which makes this all the more unfair and heartbreaking.
Those poor young boys.:(

R.I.P Natasha
x