PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking jobs

kak125
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
So I have been lucky enough to get not 1 but 2 job offers and I have to make up my mind fairly quickly on the decision. I dont know what to do though so its a tough choice.

Job 1 -
at a local university
very stable
not sure on pay just yet
upmc healthcare, dental and vision
pension
2 weeks vacation
closed between christmas and new years
2 personal days a year
12 sick days
11 paid holidays
free tuition for anybody in my immediate family
low stress job
job title - would be just a Quality Assurance Engineer
commute: not sure on commute - its 10 minutes away without traffic
work hours 8:30-5:00

Job 2
working for a consulting compay - at least 2.5 years in downtown pittsburgh
very stable - huge company with hundreds of thousands of employees
pays well a little more than what i was making at last QA job
highmark healthcare, dental and vision
5 weeks vacation which includes sick time
9 paid holidays
more stressful job
job title - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer - Tead Lead
commute: 5 minutes away
work hours 8:00-5:00 with hour lunch but work hours are pretty flexible.

I am looking for any advice here. My main problem is that I had a few jobs where I was in charge and I enjoy it because I am by nature the type of person that likes to lead but I have trouble managing the stress that goes along with it. I was thinking of calling the local university tomorrow to ask about pay. HR is suppossed to call me this week with all the details and the start date but the other company wants my answer by end of day tomorrow. HELP!!

Edgeof27
03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
So I have been lucky enough to get not 1 but 2 job offers and I have to make up my mind fairly quickly on the decision. I dont know what to do though so its a tough choice.

Job 1 -
at a local university
very stable
not sure on pay just yet
upmc healthcare, dental and vision
pension
2 weeks vacation
closed between christmas and new years
2 personal days a year
12 sick days
11 paid holidays
free tuition for anybody in my immediate family
low stress job
job title - would be just a Quality Assurance Engineer
commute: not sure on commute - its 10 minutes away without traffic
work hours 8:30-5:00

Job 2
working for a consulting compay - at least 2.5 years in downtown pittsburgh
very stable - huge company with hundreds of thousands of employees
pays well a little more than what i was making at last QA job
highmark healthcare, dental and vision
5 weeks vacation which includes sick time
9 paid holidays
more stressful job
job title - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer - Tead Lead
commute: 5 minutes away
work hours 8:00-5:00 with hour lunch but work hours are pretty flexible.

I am looking for any advice here. My main problem is that I had a few jobs where I was in charge and I enjoy it because I am by nature the type of person that likes to lead but I have trouble managing the stress that goes along with it. I was thinking of calling the local university tomorrow to ask about pay. HR is suppossed to call me this week with all the details and the start date but the other company wants my answer by end of day tomorrow. HELP!!

kak125,

job choice #1; if you want to less stress....

or,

job choice #2; if you can take the additional stress....

so,

delay making a decision on #1, &, accept #2,

#2 is 5 minutes away, with an hour for lunch, (good stress relief),

if you find that #2 does not work out, then fall back on #1,

"it's only stress", you can handle it,

g....:angel:

kak125
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
thank you so much for your help. i thought the decision would be easy because with job #1 i had such a good feeling about and really wanted at the time and then job #2 came along and then i started thinking do i really want job #1 and why. i think i am most scared because its been about a year since i have been in charge of a team of people (my last job i was just qa engineer) and I am scared to death about the whole thing. I had a bad experience at a job i worked at a while ago where they hired me as a QA Manager but then after being there for a bit they just kept piling the work on me and expected me to work overtime all the time without paying me for it. job #2 claims i wont have to work a lot of overtime but i swear they all say that, HA!! i really like the idea of job#2 being so close to my house and i can take the bus. job #1 i can take the bus as well which would cut down on commute time and they also offer a free bus pass as well.
so do you think it would be really bad to accept #2 and then if a few days from now i decide i want job #1, to call job #2 and decline their offer? i dont want to make anybody angry ya know? job #1 being a local university and all really takes their time with the actual offer. i talked to the manager on monday and i have that job if i want it but their hr department handles the actual offer and he said it could be few days or more. i am going to drive to job#1 tomorrow morning and see how bad traffic is going to be.

thank you for your help!

Edgeof27
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
accept #2, try it on, see how it fits, if it does not work out for you then move on to job #1,

don't worry about making anyone angry, "it's only business",

do what is right for you,

#2, is 5 minutes away, more money, less commute, home for lunch, (more vacation),

kak125
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
you know you are so right, it's only business and i gotta do whats right for me. when you break it down like that, job #2 sounds really good. i wish i wasnt so bad at making decisions, i am the type that goes over every little detail for hours or days and then I still cant make up my mind.
thanks again!

Edgeof27
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
just make sure that you can get time off for future concert dates......

David
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Did I read your post correctly that you don't know what these jobs pay? If offers were made, why didn't you ask what the salary is? During the interview, it's often wise to avoid discussing salary & expectations, but once an offer is made to you, it would be an odd employer that wouldn't mention the salary, & an even odder one that wouldn't think it weird that the prospective employee didn't ask about it.

Do both companies match on 401(k) contributions? Equally?

You interviewed on site for both jobs, right? Did you look around at the employees? Did they look relatively happy? Do they have their personal photos & things up around their desks? Were any of them chatting or joking?

Either of these companies publicly traded? If so, whose market data (equity value, market cap, etc.) are weathering the recession more successfully?

How much severance is paid if someone is laid off?

Did you ask about the person you're replacing (if anyone), & why he or she left?

BTFLCHLD
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
majority of colleges have salaries displayed within employee contracts on their HR website. and, if you are looking to work long term, PENSION is a benefit one would definitely want.

jannieC
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I always give the salary range to prospective employees before they even come in for an interview. No sense wasting anyone's time with an interview if the $$$ isn't right.

My advice is to take the less stressful job, as long as you can manage on the pay. I can't even imagine considering it without knowing whether you can pay your bills or not! But if you can, life is too short- we should be happy with what we're doing 8-10 hours of our days. Good luck!

kak125
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Hello everyone,
thanks so much for your comments. i really appreciate it. so as far as pay goes i told job#1 in the interview what i would like to make and then when the guy offered me the job on monday he said he couldnt even tell me what they were going to pay me because HR takes care of it. That is the crappy part is not knowing what they are going to pay. When I looked on their website it has a decent range in salaries. What I am asking for is near their top pay but I told them that is what I made at my last job. I know what job #2 pays and its about 2 thousand more than I was making before.
Both companies have the same 401k contributions. I did not see any employees at either interviews. I wish I would have because thats an easy way to tell if the place is going to be cool or not. I would have to check on the companies and see if they are publicly traded. I think job #2 is and the manager told me that they have hired a lot of people in the last month or so just for the team I will be on. Their client is highmark and they are one of the few companies that are making money here. I dont know about severence but that is a good question. I will make sure to ask both jobs about it. As far as I know I am not replacing anybody at either places. They just need more QA at both of them.

So I am going to drive to job #1 now and see how long it takes me and then if I dont hear from HR for job #1 by end of day I am going to call them and see what the hold up is. I need to have an idea of pay before I accept job #1 or I could be taking something that could possibly offer me 25k less and I dont want to do that. Obviously whatever I am making will be more than on unemployment but I would like to make around the same as I was a few months ago.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks again!

kak125
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
So I drove to job #1 this morning and it took me about 15 minutes with traffic so that wasnt bad at all. I found some back roads I could take on the way home if traffic does become an issue. I need to find out about parking because if its too expensive I will have to take the bus. I was going to call HR department but I must have thrown away the number. I am just irritated that they couldnt give me an idea of salary.

Steviefan49
03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
So I drove to job #1 this morning and it took me about 15 minutes with traffic so that wasnt bad at all. I found some back roads I could take on the way home if traffic does become an issue. I need to find out about parking because if its too expensive I will have to take the bus. I was going to call HR department but I must have thrown away the number. I am just irritated that they couldnt give me an idea of salary.

Hey..

I'm SOOO sorry I didn't get to answer your post from the "Rumors forum"- but, I sure wanted to wish you good luck! Me, personally, I would go with the #1 job, and definitely find out what the heck they are paying you. "IF" the pay is that much lower, then job #2, then it's a given to go with #2! It's WONDERFUL that you have the choice, nowadays between 2 different jobs, when so many people are getting laid off, and their Companies are shutting their doors! Hang in there, and keep us posted on what you find out, and LOTS of good luck with either one!!:xoxo:

Hugs,

Arlene

skcin
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd take #1. A job at a university should be pretty stable, in theory. It's quite possible that the person interviewing you didn't know the salary off the top of their head - that's how it is at the college I work at, it's not my call. BUT they should have been able to make a quick call & get right back to you, so that is a little odd.

Job #2, although you say it's stable, doesn't seem as stable to me. You never know what might happen with that industry in the future. Plus, the fact that they'e recenly hired several people could mean they have a high turnover rate.

Just my gut feeling.

LikeAWillow
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
I think I would go with job #1 as well, assuming the pay is manageable. The benefit of anyone in your family attending with free tuition is incredible with the cost of education, and I'm always for picking the option that gives you warm fuzzies :)

Congratulations on getting both offers, though! I'm freaking out right now because I'm about to do a phone interview for a summer internship in...13 minutes....with a law firm in downtown Pittsburgh.

HejiraNYC
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, it's very hard to say without knowing more about your circumstances (beyond what is in your profile). What are your long-term objectives? Are you male or female? If you are female, do you plan on starting a family? If not, do the companies provide paid extended leave for new fathers? What is the relative upward mobility for these positions? What is more important to you personally- money or work intensity? Is there a target bonus associated with the non-university job? (I assume universities do not pay bonuses, but I could be wrong). Also, try putting the pros/cons of these jobs in some kind of a matrix; I think the answer may be more apparent than you think.

Anyway, congrats on your good fortune; it's good to feel wanted. :angel:

mylittledemon
03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Well, working always sucks. I'd go with whichever job was the least stressful, but most stable. I guess sometimes they don't go hand in hand.

kak125
03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey..

I'm SOOO sorry I didn't get to answer your post from the "Rumors forum"- but, I sure wanted to wish you good luck! Me, personally, I would go with the #1 job, and definitely find out what the heck they are paying you. "IF" the pay is that much lower, then job #2, then it's a given to go with #2! It's WONDERFUL that you have the choice, nowadays between 2 different jobs, when so many people are getting laid off, and their Companies are shutting their doors! Hang in there, and keep us posted on what you find out, and LOTS of good luck with either one!!:xoxo:

Hugs,

Arlene

Hello! You know I am definitley leaning towards job #1 and I agree I am very lucky to have a choice right now. I have been interviewing for a few months and thought I would never get another job so its kinda nice to have the choice. I did call the HR department at the university today and asked them if they had the offer ready or if they knew when it would be ready and the lady said it goes through a lot of different people before she gets it. She said she didnt know anything else and apologized for being vague but the most it takes is 2 weeks for the offer to come in. Oh my I dont think I can wait that long.

kak125
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I think I would go with job #1 as well, assuming the pay is manageable. The benefit of anyone in your family attending with free tuition is incredible with the cost of education, and I'm always for picking the option that gives you warm fuzzies :)

Congratulations on getting both offers, though! I'm freaking out right now because I'm about to do a phone interview for a summer internship in...13 minutes....with a law firm in downtown Pittsburgh.

Thank you for the congrats. I am just so afraid that the university is going to give me a real low ball offer or something. They did ask for 5 years experience in QA and I have 7 so I am hoping they can give me what I asked for. The free tuition is great as well incase I ever want to go back for my masters degree. I hope your phone interview went well. I cannot stand phone interviews, I always think I sound like an idiot over the phone. I hope you get the internship. Make sure you let us know what happens ;)

kak125
03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, it's very hard to say without knowing more about your circumstances (beyond what is in your profile). What are your long-term objectives? Are you male or female? If you are female, do you plan on starting a family? If not, do the companies provide paid extended leave for new fathers? What is the relative upward mobility for these positions? What is more important to you personally- money or work intensity? Is there a target bonus associated with the non-university job? (I assume universities do not pay bonuses, but I could be wrong). Also, try putting the pros/cons of these jobs in some kind of a matrix; I think the answer may be more apparent than you think.

Anyway, congrats on your good fortune; it's good to feel wanted. :angel:

My long term objective I would say is to eventually have my own QA group. The job at the university has opportunity for advancement in the future and with regards to the other job I would be the Senior QA Test Lead so I would be testing and helping to manage the team as well. I am female and have been married for almost 9 years and do not want any kids. Job #1 does not offer bonuses as far as I know. Job #2 has a yearly bonus based on my performance and the companies performance.
Thank you for the congrats as well and it is nice to feel wanted. For a while there I was thinking I was never gonna work again. I have been laid off numerous times though in my life so you think I would be used to it. The most important thing to me right now is stability. My husband and I live in the city and have a fairly expensive mortgage payment so I need to make sure that paycheck is always coming in. Its real tight now with unemployment so I guess any job I take will pay more than that, HA!

LikeAWillow
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the congrats. I am just so afraid that the university is going to give me a real low ball offer or something. They did ask for 5 years experience in QA and I have 7 so I am hoping they can give me what I asked for. The free tuition is great as well incase I ever want to go back for my masters degree. I hope your phone interview went well. I cannot stand phone interviews, I always think I sound like an idiot over the phone. I hope you get the internship. Make sure you let us know what happens ;)

It sounds like you definitely have the experience and skills to do well at either job. That's always a plus :laugh: I really hope the pay offer comes through for you.

I just got off the phone with my interviewer. Except for one flub (I tried to tell a story that ended up making no sense lmao. Somehow she still got it, though, thank god :lol: ), I think it went pretty well. I should hear back from them next Friday! It's the Eckert Seamans firm, in case you're familiar with them at all. Either way, I'm ready to get back to the 'burgh. Boston just does not do it for me.

kak125
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you definitely have the experience and skills to do well at either job. That's always a plus :laugh: I really hope the pay offer comes through for you.

I just got off the phone with my interviewer. Except for one flub (I tried to tell a story that ended up making no sense lmao. Somehow she still got it, though, thank god :lol: ), I think it went pretty well. I should hear back from them next Friday! It's the Eckert Seamans firm, in case you're familiar with them at all. Either way, I'm ready to get back to the 'burgh. Boston just does not do it for me.

thank you very much again for the nice words. I will keep you all updated on what happens. I talked to job #2 and if I decide to take it they want me to attend a 3 day orientation in either cincinnati or detroit. The lady wanted to book me a flight and I was like let me think about that. I hate flying and I get myself so worked up that I would rather drive if anything. I have to tell them my final decision by end of day tomorrow but I am about 99% sure I am gonna take job #1.

It sounds like you did well on your phone interview. I bet you cant wait for next Friday to come around, HA! I hate waiting to find out about jobs. I am so impatient. Oh yeah I heard of that Eckert Seamans firm. That would be cool if you were back in the city. Is your family from here? Sometimes when its real cold here I think about moving somewhere warm but it wouldnt be the same. I have lived in the south side for about 9 years now and really cant imagine living anywhere else. So you didnt like Boston then?

LikeAWillow
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
thank you very much again for the nice words. I will keep you all updated on what happens. I talked to job #2 and if I decide to take it they want me to attend a 3 day orientation in either cincinnati or detroit. The lady wanted to book me a flight and I was like let me think about that. I hate flying and I get myself so worked up that I would rather drive if anything. I have to tell them my final decision by end of day tomorrow but I am about 99% sure I am gonna take job #1.

It sounds like you did well on your phone interview. I bet you cant wait for next Friday to come around, HA! I hate waiting to find out about jobs. I am so impatient. Oh yeah I heard of that Eckert Seamans firm. That would be cool if you were back in the city. Is your family from here? Sometimes when its real cold here I think about moving somewhere warm but it wouldnt be the same. I have lived in the south side for about 9 years now and really cant imagine living anywhere else. So you didnt like Boston then?

Wow, they do really want you! I know what you mean about flying, though. It's not the physical "in the air" aspect that bothers me, I just spend about the week beforehand dreading delays and cancelations...possibly because they are the story.of.my.life.

I'm going to school at Wellesley College which is about forty minutes out of Boston, and yeah, this city and I are just not meant to be. The only area I like, Harvard Square, is basically just Oakland on cocaine haha. Alas, it seems I will bleed black and gold forever......or at least until I jump ship to L.A. someday :lol: My entire family is back in Pittsburgh, though, and it definitely holds my heart.

Steviefan49
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello! You know I am definitley leaning towards job #1 and I agree I am very lucky to have a choice right now. I have been interviewing for a few months and thought I would never get another job so its kinda nice to have the choice. I did call the HR department at the university today and asked them if they had the offer ready or if they knew when it would be ready and the lady said it goes through a lot of different people before she gets it. She said she didnt know anything else and apologized for being vague but the most it takes is 2 weeks for the offer to come in. Oh my I dont think I can wait that long.

Awwww.. well, I'm crossing my fingers for you that it may come in sooner... Hang in there, and you know something wonderful is waiting for you!!! ;)

kak125
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, they do really want you! I know what you mean about flying, though. It's not the physical "in the air" aspect that bothers me, I just spend about the week beforehand dreading delays and cancelations...possibly because they are the story.of.my.life.

I'm going to school at Wellesley College which is about forty minutes out of Boston, and yeah, this city and I are just not meant to be. The only area I like, Harvard Square, is basically just Oakland on cocaine haha. Alas, it seems I will bleed black and gold forever......or at least until I jump ship to L.A. someday :lol: My entire family is back in Pittsburgh, though, and it definitely holds my heart.

Yeah the last time I was on a plane was when my hubby and I went to vegas about 4 years ago. We had 2 layovers and it was just a nightmare with the delayed flights and then our plane had something wrong with the wing when we landed. They tried to fix it for hours and then decided to get us a new plane but by then I was so freaked out. On the way back our flight was delayed by 4 hours and we almost missed our connection in Atlanta. After that I told my hubby I wont ever fly again.

So are you about to graduate from college then? Harvard Square sounds pretty cool, LOL! Yeah I bet you do miss it here especially with your family being here. I bet it was tough to be in Boston when the Steelers won the super bowl. We were in the southside and they closed down all of the streets so we could just run around and go crazy aftewards. Good times! I have a good friend who moved to LA years ago and now she is 31 like me and she is still renting an apartment with a bunch of roommates. I guess with it being so expensive most people cant afford to ever buy a house. She absolutely loves it there even though she is doing the same stuff there that she can do here. It would be hard to come back here after being out there for so many years. You probably get used to that nice warm weather.

kak125
03-16-2009, 05:04 PM
So I finally heard from the university of pittsburgh regarding my offer. I was getting worried since it was 2 weeks from the last time I heard from them. I start on April 1st and am really happy but really freaked out now. I get so nervous before I start working at a new job. I probably wont be able to sleep the week before, HA! I guess I gotta start getting myself used to getting up early again. No more 11:00 for me.

I just want to thank you all again for your kind words and support while I was making my decision. You guys rock :)

skcin
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
^ Congrats. :angel:

kak125
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much!!!!