PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at Florida home

estranged4life
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
ORANGE PARK, Fla. (AP) -- A keyboardist for the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd has died at his northeast Florida home.

Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett says 56-year-old keyboard player Billy Powell called 911 about 12:55 a.m. Wednesday saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead at 1:52 a.m.

Cornett says no foul play is suspected and an autopsy will not be performed.

He says Powell missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation. A heart attack is suspected.

Powell was one of two surviving band members who were with the group before a 1977 plane crash that killed three of its members.

mylittledemon
01-28-2009, 03:12 PM
too young to die! What a shame. God rest his soul & bless his family.

GODDESS6
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM
very sad music news~
may he rest in peace~
:angel:

skcin
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Poor Billy. :( Who's the only survivor now?

DavidMn
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Poor Billy. :( Who's the only survivor now?I think it's Gary Rossington?

RoseGarden
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear this. His key board playing seem to have come so naturally and had such a unique sound (as did Skynard).

gldstwmn
01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Billy Powell was a blast to watch play. He will be greatly missed.

David
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
So is he the guy who played the piano on "Sweet Home Alabama"?

SteveMacD
01-31-2009, 12:14 AM
He says Powell missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation. A heart attack is suspected.

Irony has such a way of being ironic.

gldstwmn
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
So is he the guy who played the piano on "Sweet Home Alabama"?

Yep. He was actually one of three surviving members as Artimus Pyle is still alive.

SteveMacD
01-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Yep. He was actually one of three surviving members as Artimus Pyle is still alive.

And hanging out with Gary Glitter...

gldstwmn
01-31-2009, 12:32 AM
And hanging out with Gary Glitter...

I heard about that. WTF? How does the guy who was basically the hero in the plane crash end up being a pedophile?

SteveMacD
01-31-2009, 01:09 AM
I heard about that. WTF? How does the guy who was basically the hero in the plane crash end up being a pedophile?

http://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/f/fleetwood-mac/heroes-are-hard-to-find/heroes-are-hard-to-find.jpg

(which is also kinda creepy in the context of this discussion)

David
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
"Alabama" is the only song by them I've ever heard.

SteveMacD
01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
"Alabama" is the only song by them I've ever heard.

http://www.absolutad.com/gallery/originals_bull****1_ranndino.jpg

'cmon, REALLY.

David
01-31-2009, 01:30 PM
'cmon, REALLY.Well! I don't listen to rock & roll. I was never into rock & roll!

SteveMacD
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Well! I don't listen to rock & roll. I was never into rock & roll!

Skynrd, much like Fleetwood Mac, was hard to escape back in those days. I find it hard to believe you've never heard Freebird or Call Me The Breeze.

Actually, I think Powell was the best musician in Skynyrd, and I'm shocked that this keyboardist would have completely escaped you.

David
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Skynrd, much like Fleetwood Mac, was hard to escape back in those days. I find it hard to believe you've never heard Freebird or Call Me The Breeze.I've heard people talk about Freebird, but I don't think I have ever heard it.

Actually, I think Powell was the best musician in Skynyrd, and I'm shocked that this keyboardist would have completely escaped you.I've always taken notice of Józef Hofmann! The rock guys are just rock guys. Some of them are pretty good song composers ~*~*~*~

I hate rock, Steve.
***~~~***~~~***~~~

gldstwmn
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I've heard people talk about Freebird, but I don't think I have ever heard it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PENBU3lrpE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PENBU3lrpE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watching this, I can almost smell the Acapulco Gold in the air. I haven't really listened to this in a long time. Over the years, liking Sknynyrd has become a sort of 70's cliche. Seeing this reminds me of what a great band they really were.