PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney's New CD

nightbird28
01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I was watching classic current this week on VH1 and discovered this amazing new song by Paul McCartney called "Sing the Changes". I went online and downloaded the whole CD, which in my opinion rivals some of his Beatles songs from the sixties. The CD is called "Electric Arguments " it is very diverse in the song styles going from rock, pop, bluesy, new age, and folk.The highlighting tracks on the cd for me were.

"Sing the Changes" - Infectious song once you hear it. It's hard to believe he is 66 and putting out such a great song. "Sing the changes as your sleeping, feel the fire in the thunder."

"Highway"- the hardest rocking song I have heard of his in years.

"Sun is Shining"- the birds at the beginning remind me of blackbird but this song will make you smile.

"Dance till We're High"- Just a beautiful song. His vocals soar on this song. The bells are a nice touch and my daughter swayed in the car to it.

"Lifelong Passion"- Another beautiful song a great song to close your eyes too. "Give me love, love, love ,love be my lifelong passion" it's a simple chorus but I find myself singing it.

I hope if you read this thread you download one of these songs, if not the whole cd.

Nico
01-28-2009, 12:58 AM
I have this...to be honest, I haven't had the time to listen to it all the way through. I hated the last album he released, "Memory Almost Full." But the one prior, "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" was stellar.

I have a love/hate relationship with his solo stuff because, for the most part, he has some nice albums and a lot of filler. I'm a big fan of "Ram" and the first one, and I really like "Band on the Run" and "Flaming Pie." But the others I have to pick a few tunes and move on.

I truly love him though. His best stuff will always be the Beatles because he and John had amazing chemistry as songwriters. And often they didn't even collaborate outside of a few lines, but they inspired one another and were fiercely competitive. Paul said in his bio that John seemed to always be one-upping him so he'd have to try and beat him with any new song he was working on. Frigg'n adorable.

Also think it's so funny that the album he made while married to Heather Mills ("Chaos and Creation...") had songs that were inspired by his first wife, Linda, and that album was practically perfect. But the album he wrote that was supposedly inspired by Heather ("Driving Rain") was kind of a piece of crap. Highly unrecommended purchase.

nightbird28
01-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I completely agree. I bought "Driving Rain" because of "Freedom" and was very let down by the cd. I never even bothered buying anything of his after it. I rarely get excited by a cd unless it's fleetwood but this album i started burning and passing it out to my friends.

dcl1964
02-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I agree about Driving Rain being crappy. I felt the songs weren't finished lyrically. Chaos and Creation was a great album. Memory Almost Full falls in between them. I've noticed when Paul plays most (or all) of the instruments on his albums he seems to let his sense of melody show more (ie: Flaming Pie, Tug Of War, Band On The Run) and it makes for better albums.

Nico
02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I agree about Driving Rain being crappy. I felt the songs weren't finished lyrically. Chaos and Creation was a great album. Memory Almost Full falls in between them. I've noticed when Paul plays most (or all) of the instruments on his albums he seems to let his sense of melody show more (ie: Flaming Pie, Tug Of War, Band On The Run) and it makes for better albums.

My theory was that Heather Mills was a dry well of inspiration wrapped in snarly, arrogant, gold-digging clothes and he just didn't feel like writing anything really substantial about the wench.

(But then it doesn't run consistent with the dodgy solo career, but still, lousy songs with Linda are far superior to even the best ones with Heather.)