PDA

View Full Version : Springsteen "Working on a Dream"

JbbyStew86
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Just had an opportunity to get Bruce's new album on vinyl. What a great difference between this and his last two albums. There's not an iota of political bitching on the entire album. He even included The Wrestler as a bonus track at the end. Its quality work, and a great profile of what Springsteen has the capability of being.

Wondering what all of you thought about "Working on a Dream"??

GoS
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I have only heard the title track, so I cannot speak for the whole album, but I am not crazy about it. I agree that it is different than his last couple of releases, but I think it is a little week. To me it doesn't have that same quality of songwriting that most of his other songs have. It seems like a throw away, last song of the album, uninspired kind of song. I don't hate it, I just think that it is a bit sub-par for him. But then, the album may be completely different, so I may give that a try.

LukeA
01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm a huge Springsteen fan. This album is really, really bad. His worst album since "Lucky Town", and possibly his worst ever. There's only a few songs that I could say I actually like ("Good Eye", and I enjoy the sentiment behind "The Last Carnival". "My Lucky Day" should have been the lead single instead of the title track)

"Outlaw Pete" is 8 minutes of Kiss/"I Was Made For Lovin' You" crossed with Lynn Anderson/"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden"- what a way to start an album :rolleyes: . "Queen Of The Supermarket" is an out-and-out embarrassment.

Say what you want about the political themes of the songs on "Magic", but the songs themselves just work a whole lot better.

Stew_Matthews
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I think it sounds like it is - a bunch of out takes from earlier albums.

I really like the track 'Outlaw Pete' (I must buy some Kiss albums:rolleyes:) and the track; 'The Last Carnival' is worth the cost of the album. Having played it for a couple of weeks, I still don't think it works as well as Magic and the lyrics (in particular) don't seem as strong as Springsteen usually delivers.

Having said that I can't think of many other artists, save for Neil Young, who are in his age bracket and have something to offer.................. the man and his band are class!

trackaghost
01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm a huge Springsteen fan. This album is really, really bad. His worst album since "Lucky Town", and possibly his worst ever. There's only a few songs that I could say I actually like ("Good Eye", and I enjoy the sentiment behind "The Last Carnival". "My Lucky Day" should have been the lead single instead of the title track)

"Outlaw Pete" is 8 minutes of Kiss/"I Was Made For Lovin' You" crossed with Lynn Anderson/"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden"- what a way to start an album :rolleyes: . "Queen Of The Supermarket" is an out-and-out embarrassment.

Say what you want about the political themes of the songs on "Magic", but the songs themselves just work a whole lot better.

Amen. What a disappointment it is. Half of it doesn't even sound like the E-Street Band and what's the deal with all those horrible strings? Life Itself and Queen Of The Supermarket are just embarrassing and I have no clue why he decided to put Outlaw Pete as the opening track - 8 minutes long too! It's so weird because The Wrestler, I think, is one of the best songs he's written in years.
Give me political Bruce any day if this is the kind of album we get when he's not being political. I much prefer him being passionate about something than the half-assed effort this album is.

BombaySapphire3
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Eek I preordered it after hearing "The Wrestler" at the end of the film ..Going to pick it up tomorrow ..hopefully there are at lease a few other good songs on it.

JbbyStew86
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Eek I preordered it after hearing "The Wrestler" at the end of the film ..Going to pick it up tomorrow ..hopefully there are at lease a few other good songs on it.

Don't let these naysayers fool you! :laugh:

The Wrestler is great, and the album does have some solid tracks. "Queen of the Supermarket" surprised me as a solid tune. The opening track is phenominal. I'll admit though, the title track is weak, and I've thought that since the first time I heard it. Give it a few listens, it grows.

BombaySapphire3
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't let these naysayers fool you! :laugh:

I won't ..back when LukeA had an advance copy of Trouble in Shangri-La and most of us fans had not heard it he wrote a review citing Bombay Sapphire as one of the weakest tracks on it .Obviously I didn't agree.:laugh:

LukeA
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I won't ..back when LukeA had an advance copy of Trouble in Shangri-La and most of us fans had not heard it he wrote a review citing Bombay Sapphire as one of the weakest tracks on it .Obviously I didn't agree.:laugh:

LOL... I still think it is, by the way ;)

trackaghost
01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
I just read this on Stereogum and it reminded me of this thread! :D

Is "Queen of the Supermarket" The Worst Springsteen Song Ever? (http://stereogum.com/archives/video/is-queen-of-the-supermarket-the-worst-springsteen_048641.html)

This is a sampling of the critical response:

"The worst song Bruce Springsteen has ever written."
- Detroit News

"At the 3:00 mark, it accidentally turns into a Meatloaf song."
- Blender

"Removes this record from consideration as one of the best releases of his career."
- Chicago Tribune

"Unintentionally ludicrous."
- San Jose Mercury News

"Unbelievably melodramatic ... sounds like someone doing a Springsteen parody."
- Orlando Sentinel

"Might be the worst song Springsteen has ever released."
- Philadelphia Inquirer

"May be the worst thing he's ever written."
- Pitchfork

UnwindedDreams
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I would have to say his most famous song is Dancing In the Dark.

I'm favoring Good Eye.

BombaySapphire3
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I'll need to listen it a couple of times before forming a definite opinion but I will say the reviews are all over the map..The two periodicals I generally trust the most both gave it their highest ratings however.Rolling Stone gave it the coveted, rarely assigned 5 stars or classic and Entertainment weekly gave it an A.

LukeA
01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
I'll need to listen it a couple of times before forming a definite opinion but I will say the reviews are all over the map..The two periodicals I generally trust the most both gave it their highest ratings however.Rolling Stone gave it the coveted, rarely assigned 5 stars or classic and Entertainment weekly gave it an A.

Rolling Stone... lol. Rolling Stone gave U2's 1997 album POP 5 stars when it was initially released, and in the year end wrap-up issue, they named it the year's biggest disappointment/flop. So, check back in December to see if their opinion on this craptastic album has reversed.

JbbyStew86
01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Here's my official review, going to the presses in the morning. Hopefully to be read by thousands of college students next week.

Springsteen’s “Dream” finally fulfilled

Bruce Springsteen is the busiest rocker in the business. After coming off a year long tour supporting his album “Magic”, Springsteen released his 27th album last Tuesday. He played in the Super Bowl, and plans on reissuing his 1979 album “Darkness on the Edge of Town.” He and his E Street Band will also tour for the remainder of the year throughout the world. Oh, and his presidential candidate finally won. As the second song of his new album says, it seems to be Bruce’s “Lucky Day.”

“Working on a Dream” finds Springsteen in a rare state of mind. He finally has everything he needs, a happy family, his band, and most importantly his President. For once, he doesn’t have anything to complain about. Perhaps because of that, his album is developing a love/hate relationship among critics. Bruce didn’t write an album dripping with pathos and emotion. They’re simple, fresh, and happy. Those who like that will love this album. If you’re an urchin who looks for the “deeper meaning” in every track you hear, save yourself the effort.

Not every song is fantastic, but there isn’t a single one that’s terrible. A few border on magnificence. One of these is “What Love Can Do”, a terrific track that comprises the best elements of the “River” and “Born in the U.S.A.” albums. Brought in for a third time, Brenden O’Brien produces, and the effects of his overdubs and pop sheen are seen throughout. Recording most of the songs on the road, Springsteen relied much more on O’Brien than he did during “The Rising” and “Magic”.

“I watch the sun as it rises and sets
I watch the moon trace its arc with no regrets
My jacket around your shoulders, the falling leaves
The wet grass on our backs as the autumn breeze drifts through the trees”
-“Kingdom of Days”

“Tomorrow Never Knows” is the folksiest Springteen song yet. The opener “Outlaw Pete” finds the hero abandoning New Jersey in favor of Appalachia and the Wild West. “Good Eye” bleeds Mississippi delta blues throughout its short span while “Queen of the Supermarket” is so ridiculous, you know Bruce has to be joking. Throughout the album, Springsteen seems to take elements from his near 40 year career and mesh them together. There are times when both new and old are blended together.

“The Last Carnival” is a heart wrenching sequel to “Wild Billy’s Circus Story”, one of his earliest tunes. Only now, its an epitaph to E Street organist Danny Federici, who died last summer. Singing “We won't be dancing together on the high wire/Facing the lions with you at my side anymore,” the bandleader says goodbye to his friend and organ master.

The Golden Globe winning “The Wrestler” confirms that saving the best for last always pays off. Here, Bruce proves that he has the power to take clichés like “one-trick ponies” and “Mickey Rourke” and make them acceptable again.

The best part of the album is the knowledge that they’re going to sound terrific on a stage in front of 50,000 people. Springsteen made his name as a performer, and now in his sixties, is still rocking harder and longer than anyone else in the game. He owes much of that credit to the men that stand behind him.

By now, The E Street Band is legendary for both its live and studio capability. Guitarists Nils Lofgren and Stevie Van Zandt provide breathing room for Springsteen. Max Weinberg is still hammering on the felt, and the Big Man Clarence Clemmons is still on the sax, though his cameos on the album are few and far between. As always, Springsteen’s wife proves to be the weakest link of the lineup. A terrible singer in her own right, she taints everything she’s a part of.

The 13 songs that comprise “Working on a Dream” are a collective sigh of relief. After decades of angst, economic depression, and political disappointment, who could blame the man for writing a few happy songs? The most important thing is to ignore the reviews of the album. I know this seems pretty counterproductive to this entire article, but that’s why it’s at the end. Critics often try to make something grandiose out of something basic. All that does is make the simplistically beautiful turn into a bloated whale. “Working on a Dream” is nothing more than an album of good songs that are easy to enjoy. With so much change going around, it seems like a nice opportunity to catch your breath.

Grade: A-
Key Tracks: “Kingdom of Days”, “What Love Can Do”

Bruce Springsteen’s “Working on a Dream” is available on CD and Vinyl from Columbia.

BombaySapphire3
01-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Rolling Stone... lol. Rolling Stone gave U2's 1997 album POP 5 stars when it was initially released, and in the year end wrap-up issue, they named it the year's biggest disappointment/flop. So, check back in December to see if their opinion on this craptastic album has reversed.

That was a very weak U2 album and unfortunately the only tour I ever saw them on ..coming out a giant lemon!?:laugh:I guess Rolling Stone is so awestruck by the small group of diety -like artists still putting out albums that perhaps they may be silly enough to call a piece of sh#t a birthday cake ..from what I've heard so far Working on a Dream IS better than U2's Pop.Faint praise though that may be.

LukeA
01-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Here's my official review, going to the presses in the morning. Hopefully to be read by thousands of college students next week.

I hope for your sake that your paper has an editor, because I see at least four glaring factual errors. (more if you want to delve into stylistic ones)

LukeA
01-28-2009, 02:27 AM
That was a very weak U2 album and unfortunately the only tour I ever saw them on ..coming out a giant lemon!?:laugh:I guess Rolling Stone is so awestruck by the small group of diety -like artists still putting out albums that perhaps they may be silly enough to call a piece of sh#t a birthday cake ..from what I've heard so far Working on a Dream IS better than U2's Pop.Faint praise though that may be.

Actually, it was the last great U2 album (at least amongst U2 fans). The point being, Rolling Stone's opinion really doesn't mean anything, seeing that its swayed by however the wind may blow one way or the other. This was just one example.

Lindsey Jr.
01-28-2009, 04:09 AM

1) U2 is an arrogant, overrated band (the latter since the beginning of the '90s)
2) Springsteen's new album just sounds... boring, and the album cover is quite ugly.

chriskisn
01-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Well you know I kind of like Bruce when he's political bitching... ;)

So downloaded this album today and not overly impressed. Then again that might change after a couple of listens. There aren't many albums I love the first time I hear them.

estranged4life
01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Havent heard the new album as of yet, but I am surprised to see Bruce will be playing Tulsa on April 7th - I cannot recall the last time he ever played in the state of Oklahoma.

mylittledemon
01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Just had an opportunity to get Bruce's new album on vinyl. What a great difference between this and his last two albums. There's not an iota of political bitching on the entire album. He even included The Wrestler as a bonus track at the end. Its quality work, and a great profile of what Springsteen has the capability of being.

Wondering what all of you thought about "Working on a Dream"??

I liked the last album "Magic" a lot...I have not heard anything off the new record, but I intend on pickin it up

HejiraNYC
01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Actually, it was the last great U2 album (at least amongst U2 fans). The point being, Rolling Stone's opinion really doesn't mean anything, seeing that its swayed by however the wind may blow one way or the other. This was just one example.

Wow... I feel 100% the opposite way. U2 pretty much lost me after the Joshua Tree- I just felt like they were becoming parodies of the grandiose legends that their diehard media fans, like RS, painted them out to be. And this was especially disappointing since it was the follow up to The Unforgettable Fire, which was such a refreshing departure. And then they got into that phase where they were embracing yet mocking Americana... yuck! U2 finally brought me back into the fold in 2000 with All You Can't Leave Behind- it was a new, rawer, humbler, less ironic piece of work. And I actually think their last album is among their best albums ever- "Origin of the Species" is like the best song they've ever done. I'm still on the fence with their new single, but I'm hopeful...

BombaySapphire3
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
thanks for the info..I did not know U2 fans thought that way about the album..I am not really one of them even though they were a huge college band when I was in college(I went with REM then) .I have a couple of their albums and won the good seats to the "Popmart" tour by being able to answer trivia questions on the phone to a raido station..The album is still a dud IMO and most non fans would likely concur.

gldstwmn
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM
That was a very weak U2 album and unfortunately the only tour I ever saw them on ..coming out a giant lemon!?:

Same here. They brought Bono out through the crowd in that boxer type get up. I vaguely remember the lemon. I do remember being incredibly drunk during this show, which ultimately may have been a blessing. :laugh:

BombaySapphire3
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Same here. They brought Bono out through the crowd in that boxer type get up. I vaguely remember the lemon. I do remember being incredibly drunk during this show, which ultimately may have been a blessing. :laugh:

I was pretty buzzed too..can't really complain too much though as the tickets were free.:laugh:

LukeA
01-31-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm still on the fence with their new single, but I'm hopeful...

I was too... until the video was released today (I'm SHOCKED at how awesome it is. Truly inspired)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vlsoJdJ78gQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vlsoJdJ78gQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rubytuesday
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
The chorus is a real depature from what I'm used to with u2.

Nah i don't think so really. I'm part of the fanclub and most people think How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was there best album in quite a while. Achtung Baby is of course there best. Most choose either that or Joshua Tree but I'm a big AB fan.

I really like Springsteens last album and this definitely isn't as good. Nothing stands out really. I just listened to it in the background but I didn't pick up on what was soooo horrible about it either.

UnwindedDreams
01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
The GOYB video wasn't actually released, it leaked. The video wasn't ready for the official premiere yesterday supposedly because about 58 seconds in there's a little wardrobe malfunction and some watermarked Getty photos throughout the vid.

trackaghost
01-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I really like Springsteens last album and this definitely isn't as good. Nothing stands out really. I just listened to it in the background but I didn't pick up on what was soooo horrible about it either.

It's not horrible, it's just mediocre, which is worse imo.