PDA

View Full Version : Rollin' Man

aleuzzi
12-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Rollin' Man. Love this song! Love it. Love it. Love it.

Is there a live performance of it anywhere?

wetcamelfood
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Shrine '69 :)

John

aleuzzi
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM

John

Ah, thank you! I have seen that and never looked at the recording carefully enough.

Wouter Vuijk
12-04-2008, 06:53 PM

John

Then also:
Space Club New York, july 13 , 1968 (completely different version)
Copenhagen, november 17, 1968 (like the Shrine version)
Golden Circle, Stockholm, november 1968 (like the Shrine version)
Stockholm, april 1, 1970 (like the Shrine version)

BTW I really like Danny's guitar part on this song,
:nod: Wouter

doodyhead
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM

I'm with you Wouter,

The unique thing is the second instrumentleading or following to make conversation. Peter takes the que from BB King and expands it with either Johnnie almonds saz Spencers, or Dannys piano/guitar and makes it rock. I also think this was the impetus for Like it This way

doodyhead

zoork_1
12-06-2008, 04:43 AM
[...]...[...] The unique thing is the second instrumentleading or following to make conversation...[...]

Hmm, yeaa (when we "Mac" around most people seem to dig this one) however the 2 x guitars jevels on my list are "Talk With You" and "Like It This Way"

T care
/z

dansven
12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I also think this was the impetus for Like it This way

Isn't that live version (from Boston, I think) during which the lead guitars go from minor to major just lovely!! :D

I have a live version of "Like It This Way" from the Kiln House line up.. So sad, brought tears to my eyes. :( Danny was great, but the absense of Peter became so clear.

slipkid
12-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Isn't that live version (from Boston, I think) during which the lead guitars go from minor to major just lovely!! :D

I have a live version of "Like It This Way" from the Kiln House line up.. So sad, brought tears to my eyes. :( Danny was great, but the absense of Peter became so clear.

Did Spencer play the second guitar, or did Danny do it alone?

Also, don't forget about "Loving Kind".

I was scanning channels the other day and caught the classic albums doc. on Judas Priest's "British Steel" album. They were bragging how they were the first real dual lead guitar group. They did give credit to Wishbone Ash, but no Mac or Allman Brothers!?!? I mean afterall, they covered "The Green Manalishi".

dansven
12-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Did Spencer play the second guitar, or did Danny do it alone?

No, it's only Danny on lead. I can't remember at the moment if Jeremy played rythm ... probably not. Christine on keys though.

aleuzzi
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm with you Wouter,

I also think this was the impetus for Like it This way

doodyhead

Yes, the call-and-response guitars in Like it This Way echo the same call-and-response relationship between the horns and guitar on Rollin' Man. The tempo on both tunes is up, and--at least in both of the studio versions--the presence of the piano is crucial to the overall effect.

I'd love to hear another live version (other than Shrine 69) so if anyone has an MP3 he's willing to share....

aleuzzi
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Then also:

You're speaking, of course, of one of the live versions. Which one? The Shrine 69 version has primarily one guitar: is that Danny? Or are you talking about another version?

Wouter Vuijk
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
You're speaking, of course, of one of the live versions. Which one? The Shrine 69 version has primarily one guitar: is that Danny? Or are you talking about another version?

Indeed, I'm talking about the Shrine 69 version. There are definitely two guitars. Danny plays the second guitar alongside Peter singing and doing the solo on guitar.
I really love Danny's contribution. It enables Peter to do what he wants to do.:wavey:

snoot
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Danny was the man. Oh if he and PG could have played on.

aleuzzi
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Indeed, I'm talking about the Shrine 69 version. There are definitely two guitars. Danny plays the second guitar alongside Peter singing and doing the solo on guitar.

Ah, I thought it was the other way around. Thanks for this info!