PDA

View Full Version : Only You - Danny Kirwan - YouTube - What is this?

TrueFaith77
08-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Where did this version of "Only You" come from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fj9AEakFy4

sharksfan2000
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Sounds like it's from the Fleetwood Mac Live at the Boston Tea Party discs.

TrueFaith77
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I had no idea that song was from the Mac days. WOW. fascinating.

Wouter Vuijk
08-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Sounds like it's from the Fleetwood Mac Live at the Boston Tea Party discs.
Nope, it's from the 2CD "Live at the BBC". Disc 1. The Tea Party version is two minutes longer, although I must confess the two versions seem identical. However the first line sung by Danny:
BBC: Only you......give me all I need
Tea Party: Only you.....(???) all I need. I don't really hear what he sings:shrug:, but definitely not "give me". Sounds more like "got out" but maybe should be "you are" (Anybody a clue?)

sharksfan2000
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Nope, it's from the 2CD "Live at the BBC". Disc 1.
Thanks for the correction, Wouter! :thumbsup: I didn't have time to check this morning and I forgot that this was on the BBC collection too. I was thinking that whoever put it on YouTube just cut out the audience applause at the end, but now it all makes much more sense!

I'll have to listen for that lyric later today....I'm guessing he sings "got" but don't know for sure right now.

aleuzzi
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
This version, along with the one on the Boston Tea party set is so amazing I'm simply flabbergasted that the band never saw fit to release the song on one of its official studio albums.

doodyhead
08-30-2008, 02:26 PM
My guess is that like many of the songs from this time period by both danny and jeremy were predicated on the unflinching fabulous rythym guitar and drive of Peter Green. Jeremy did not like to be second or third guitar in the lieup. Danny was not great at carrying the band himself. Peter had always provided the vehicle for the other two to soar. Only Danny really reciprocated. 2 months after the Tea Party the band as constituted for Only You was no more.

I saw them right before Jeremy left (at the Sheafer Summer series, Wollman Rink Central Park NYC) and they had abandoned much of thier earlier repitoiere. and in more reflected Kiln House by that time

doodyhead, mel and vinnie

Wouter Vuijk
08-30-2008, 05:52 PM
This version, along with the one on the Boston Tea party set is so amazing I'm simply flabbergasted that the band never saw fit to release the song on one of its official studio albums.

Well..., they also missed the opportunity to release another of Danny´s fantastic songs: One Sided Love. The best vibrato Danny has ever played. Wonderful solo too.:(

aleuzzi
08-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Well..., they also missed the opportunity to release another of Danny´s fantastic songs: One Sided Love. The best vibrato Danny has ever played. Wonderful solo too.:(

I've never heard this! Is it on the Blue Horizon box set--in which case I have it.

Wouter Vuijk
08-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I've never heard this! Is it on the Blue Horizon box set--in which case I have it.

No, like I mentioned, it has never been released. So it's not on the BH box set or any other album as well.
There are live bootleg recordings of the song: Amsterdam (feb 28, 1969), College of Distributive Trade (april 19, 1969) and Den Haag (The Hague) (april 20, 1969).
The latter version being the very best.
:wavey: