PDA

View Full Version : Bright Fire or Emerald Eyes

DavidMn
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, I gave the polls a rest for a few days so I thought I'd fire another one up. These 2 songs are hard to choose between, but I'd probably lean a little more towards Bright Fire.:nod:

chiliD
08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
"Emerald Eyes", hands down.

jbrownsjr
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I love Emerald Eyes... I love the rhythm and the harmonies are some of the best FMac has ever presented....

Wish it was longer...

I love the piano intro to Believe Me.....following

jeremy spencer
08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I love the song :)

doodyhead
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Emerald Fire must be the B side

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/images/smilies/laughing.gif

aleuzzi
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Emerald Eyes is a better song, I think. Christine's backing vocals are amazing, and the song itself is so strong that I think it could be re-arranged (more up-tempo?) into a hit today.

jbrownsjr
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Emerald Eyes is a better song, I think. Christine's backing vocals are amazing, and the song itself is so strong that I think it could be re-arranged (more up-tempo?) into a hit today.

the harmonies sound a little jazz vocal to me....

Musicman408
08-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Emerald Eyes wins this sucker hands down. I think MTM is by far the best pre rumours album. I think it is amazing and I adore it.....everything on it.:nod:

nicepace
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I listened to both songs just now and I really like both of them. I voted for "Emerald Eyes" but I wish I could vote for both.

Both songs require more than a casual listen to really appreciate them. However, I think "Emerald Eyes" is a more accessible song. I call it an easygoing love song. "Emerald eyes is a mystery to me ... she's my place of serenity." The singer sings about a woman with whom he feels so comfortable that she brings peace and calm into his life. This is a real, true love song; not a song of teen passion or angst, but a song about a relationship that is so good that it brings a deep-felt sense of worth. I find it interesting that the singer doesn't sing TO the woman. In fact, he addresses an unknown third party ("you don't know what she means to me"), as if he is so happy about the woman that he can't help himself from talking about her even when she's not around. Musically, the song is beautiful as well. The backing vocals (Christine) are splendid, as is her piano. This song illustrates Chris' comment that she views her piano as part of the rhythm section. The song is perfect in every way.

"Bright Fire" is another excellent Welch composition, requiring a little more attention to the lyrics than the straightforward "Emerald Eyes." I believe it is a song about living life, and about not letting fear or hesitation rule your actions. "Don't dam the river that's running through you / Stop saving up for time that may never become." The singer advises the listener to take action; do not wait for everything to fall into place before acting. But at the same time the singer acts as an observer and not a participant; he says "I can rest easy now, and watch the carnival rolling by" (the carnival of life). He says he's been around the world five times and has seen "the future come true in twenty days." I think he is saying that after so many observations of the way the world works, he feels qualified to give advice, and the advice is to get out there and do -- don't just wait and watch. "Don't let waters of caution remove you ..." that's a way of saying don't let fear or hesitation take you out of the game (of life).

DavidMn
08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I listened to both songs just now and I really like both of them. I voted for "Emerald Eyes" but I wish I could vote for both.

Both songs require more than a casual listen to really appreciate them. However, I think "Emerald Eyes" is a more accessible song. I call it an easygoing love song. "Emerald eyes is a mystery to me ... she's my place of serenity." The singer sings about a woman with whom he feels so comfortable that she brings peace and calm into his life. This is a real, true love song; not a song of teen passion or angst, but a song about a relationship that is so good that it brings a deep-felt sense of worth. I find it interesting that the singer doesn't sing TO the woman. In fact, he addresses an unknown third party ("you don't know what she means to me"), as if he is so happy about the woman that he can't help himself from talking about her even when she's not around. Musically, the song is beautiful as well. The backing vocals (Christine) are splendid, as is her piano. This song illustrates Chris' comment that she views her piano as part of the rhythm section. The song is perfect in every way.

"Bright Fire" is another excellent Welch composition, requiring a little more attention to the lyrics than the straightforward "Emerald Eyes." I believe it is a song about living life, and about not letting fear or hesitation rule your actions. "Don't dam the river that's running through you / Stop saving up for time that may never become." The singer advises the listener to take action; do not wait for everything to fall into place before acting. But at the same time the singer acts as an observer and not a participant; he says "I can rest easy now, and watch the carnival rolling by" (the carnival of life). He says he's been around the world five times and has seen "the future come true in twenty days." I think he is saying that after so many observations of the way the world works, he feels qualified to give advice, and the advice is to get out there and do -- don't just wait and watch. "Don't let waters of caution remove you ..." that's a way of saying don't let fear or hesitation take you out of the game (of life).Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed both.:nod: