PDA

View Full Version : Interview 6/12/08: Hello St. Louis!

Tango
06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/4D42AE024C33B9168625746400781DFA?OpenDocument

Stevie Nicks will sing songs people want to hear

Stevie Nicks vows to stick with fan favorites for her show hereBy Kevin C. Johnson

When Stevie Nicks comes to Chaifetz Arena this weekend, her fans won't have to worry about her dropping "Gold Dust Woman," "Rhiannon," "Landslide" or other staples to make room for new material.

First of all, Nicks, 60, hasn't released new music since 2001's "Trouble in Shangri-La"; her latest release is last year's "Crystal Visions — The Very Best of Stevie Nicks."

Second, Nicks just isn't into deleting hits from her set.

"People aren't happy with you for doing that, and we've all tried," she says. "The Eagles tried it, Fleetwood Mac tried it, I've tried it. We try to do it because we want to do something different. But then when you do it, you find your audience going to the bathroom or going to buy a T-shirt.

"They've leaving because they're not familiar with what you're doing and don't care. So all we can do is take the nine or 10 songs they're coming to hear, build a set around those songs, add four or five songs, and mix it around, change the sequencing. Then it appears to be different to everybody."

Nicks, who will rejoin Fleetwood Mac for a tour next year, says her show has changed since the last time fans saw her.

She put "Beauty and the Beast," "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You" and "Outside the Rain" back into her show, and added songs by Bob Seger and Dave Matthews Band.

"Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You" is performed in front of a video montage of American soldiers in noncombat situations.

"It's great, but I couldn't look back at the video," says Nicks, who believes she'd lose it if she did. "It's beautiful and poignant. It had everyone in tears."

Nicks, who filmed a PBS "Soundstage" episode to air this summer, had more to say about her music and tour.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/nicks460june12.jpg
Herbert Worthington

Q. When you look over your solo repertoire with a collection like "Crystal Visions — The Very Best of Stevie Nicks," are there any regrets?

A. I have no regrets. I did everything pretty right. The only thing was in 1986, with the tranquilizers (she says it was Alonpin). I got through the pot and the cocaine and the Kool menthols and still worked. But the tranquilizers stole my soul. It was a very sad time. I curled up and didn't do anything. I could have made one or two more Fleetwood Mac records, and my own repertoire would've been 30 to 40 percent bigger.

Q. You released "Timespace — the Best of Stevie Nicks" in 1991. What makes "Crystal Visions — the Very Best of Stevie Nicks," the very best?

A. Some of it is live, some of it is hot new mixes, some of it is video with me sitting and doing commentary over each video and telling people what the song is about and what was happening in my life when the song was being made. That's interesting and fun to me because it's not just greatest hits.

Q. Dixie Chicks and Billy Corgan both covered "Landslide." What's the preferred version?

A. I love the Dixie Chicks, and I love Billy Corgan's version, crazy as it was. I'm friends with the Dixie Chicks and I got to sing it with them in a four-part harmony, and they brought it back in a huge way. Now the version I do is different, and the Dixie Chicks made that possible.

Q. Your songs have been heavily remixed by dance-music technicians, including the Deep Dish remix of "Dreams" on "Crystal Visions." How do you feel about your material getting this treatment?

A. I love them. I work out to all these dance remixes. With Deep Dish, they asked whether they should use my old vocal, or another singer, or if I could sing it over. I said I'll be there in an hour. It was a thrill to put a brand-new vocal on it, though it sounds similar to the old (one). My voice doesn't change.

Q. Destiny's Child used "Edge of Seventeen" for its hit "Bootylicious." What was your thought on that?

A. I know Beyoncé fairly well, and she's a doll. She asked me if she could do it, then she called and asked me to be in the video. As a writer, 50 percent of that song is mine. Every time that song is played, Beyoncé and I make the same money.

Q. When can we expect the next Stevie Nicks studio project?

A. I don't know. That's why I'm doing more greatest hits and going back in the vaults and finding cool stuff that might bring people out to Borders and Starbucks to buy a record. I can do a solo record, but what will happen is 1,000 hard-core fans will buy it and push the send button and send it to 5 million others. That makes me wonder, why bother? People are stealing our songs.

kjohnson@post-dispatch.com

MacMan
06-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I can do a solo record, but what will happen is 1,000 hard-core fans will buy it and push the send button and send it to 5 million others. That makes me wonder, why bother? People are stealing our songs.

She underestimates the size of her hard-core fans! Look how many bought Crystal Visions... Twice that many would buy a new release!

Thanks for the article.

vermicious knid
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
My voice doesn't change.
Oh dear, she's crazy.

As a writer, 50 percent of that song is mine. Every time that song is played, Beyoncé and I make the same money.
Well, there are four writers listed for that song: Stevie, Beyonce, Rob Fusari, and Faltone Moore. So Stevie and Beyonce can not BOTH get 50 percent.

I can do a solo record, but what will happen is 1,000 hard-core fans will buy it and push the send button and send it to 5 million others. That makes me wonder, why bother? People are stealing our songs.
Major cop-out. First of all, TISL sold about six times what Crystal Visions sold, so you can't use a sales argument for why you are doing "more greatest hits" instead of original music. What happened to the Stevie who wanted to seclude herself on a mountain with a typewriter?

strandinthewind
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh dear, she's crazy.

That vocal is pretty much spot on and very, very close to the original.

Well, there are four writers listed for that song: Stevie, Beyonce, Rob Fusari, and Faltone Moore. So Stevie and Beyonce can not BOTH get 50 percent . . .

Beyonce may get 50 and then split that 50 in some way with the others.

Major cop-out. First of all, TISL sold about six times what Crystal Visions sold, so you can't use a sales argument for why you are doing "more greatest hits" instead of original music. What happened to the Stevie who wanted to seclude herself on a mountain with a typewriter?

I tend to agree. However, I wonder how much it would cost her to produce the records and then what level of sales would be needed to sustain that production level.

RockALittle250
06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Stevie is so fragmented with her answers. In Q magazine in May, when the reporter asked her if she was working on a new album she said "Yes, I've been writing continually." and she handed the reporter "The Soldier's Angel"...and now a month later she doesn't know when she's going to have out a new record because her loyal fans are going to send her music to everyone they know!? How could she change her mind so rapidly in a month's time, that's just ludicrious! Well, at least "I don't know" is better than "never". But i'm just so angry that between interviews she did a complete 180.

Tango
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Stevie is so fragmented with her answers. In Q magazine in May, when the reporter asked her if she was working on a new album she said "Yes, I've been writing continually." and she handed the reporter "The Soldier's Angel"...and now a month later she doesn't know when she's going to have out a new record because her loyal fans are going to send her music to everyone they know!? How could she change her mind so rapidly in a month's time, that's just ludicrious! Well, at least "I don't know" is better than "never". But i'm just so angry that between interviews she did a complete 180.

http://jimwinters.com/illustration/images/Gemini.jpg

Evil Gemini.

:shrug:

BombaySapphire3
06-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Let's see I"m a Gemini and with ADHD on top of that and even I'm not crazy enough to believe that a new Stevie Nicks album would sell 5 million copies in this day and age which is what she is implying by saying 5 million people who otherwise would have purchased it would "steal" it instead..I think more likely she is creatively bankrupt and really who would want to admit that?

David
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
She does her cardio to the plethora of remixes! How cool is that?

(Of course, it's my opinion that exercise is the only thing thumpy club mixes are good for.)

GoldDustOrphan
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Personally, I don't feel that Stevie is creatively bankrupt.

Stevie's choice of numbers (1,000 hardcore fans in relation to 5 million illegal downloaders) is an obvious exaggeration on her part to make a point.

wheart
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Hummm...Stevie seems to forget that she had many hits that people ARE familiar with and DO want to hear that she just doesn't do. I think when it comes down to it, she does the songs she wants to do. Period. I don't think anyone really comes to her shows to hear her do "Sorcerer" or "Fall From Grace", yet she continues to perform them. Why? Neither were hits and I did recently witness quite a few people take breaks during these two songs. If she was consistent in what she says in interviews, she would drop those two songs and replace them with two songs that were equally as popular as Dreams, Rhiannon and Stand Back. Same with the covers. I really enjoyed them but again, most people aren't coming to see her perform three songs that aren't her own. I adore Stevie but I think that sometimes what she says and what she does are two different things.

jwd
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I do enjoy reading these articles on Stevie and Fleetwood Mac. But the more I read, the more confused I become. From Stevie not touring with Fleetwood Mac unless Chrisitine McVie is involved, to Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac and then not, and now proposing to use a female "back up" singer to flesh out the Fleetwood Mac sound? One day Stevie is writing as if she is getting ready to put out an album and then the next her sentiment is "why bother, we're getting ripped off?" Talk about mood swings?! I'll just have to say that I'll believe it when I see/hear it.

BombaySapphire3
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Personally, I don't feel that Stevie is creatively bankrupt.

Stevie's choice of numbers (1,000 hardcore fans in relation to 5 million illegal downloaders) is an obvious exaggeration on her part to make a point.

Other than creative bankruptcy I can't think of an explanati0n why that a woman who alway's said" my first love is my songs ..I gave up everything to do this "..and endlessly laments the lost years of creativity from the Klonopin would esstentially do nothing but "oldies" tours for the last 5 years now..after the SYW tour ended she had plans to start work the very next month on a new album ..and so far not a single new song.:shrug:

JWS
06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
A. I have no regrets. I did everything pretty right. The only thing was in 1986, with the tranquilizers (she says it was Alonpin). I got through the pot and the cocaine and the Kool menthols and still worked. But the tranquilizers stole my soul. It was a very sad time. I curled up and didn't do anything. I could have made one or two more Fleetwood Mac records, and my own repertoire would've been 30 to 40 percent bigger.

That's KLONOPIN.

strandinthewind
06-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Other than creative bankruptcy I can't think of an explanati0n why that a woman who alway's said" my first love is my songs ..I gave up everything to do this "..and endlessly laments the lost years of creativity from the Klonopin would esstentially do nothing but "oldies" tours for the last 5 years now..after the SYW tour ended she had plans to start work the very next month on a new album ..and so far not a single new song.:shrug:

Again, I wonder if she is having difficulty getting the producers and musicians she wants. For her to produce a record the way she wants to produce it would cost at least a million. And, I am unsure she can be produced on a smaller budget in that her songs require a great deal of work based on the final products of the demos I have heard. But, she allegedly was recording something in Nashville. So, we'll see. In the end, she is 60 and likely wants to take it a little easier, esp. with a FM record and tour coming up (hopefully).

BombaySapphire3
06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Again, I wonder if she is having difficulty getting the producers and musicians she wants. For her to produce a record the way she wants to produce it would cost at least a million. And, I am unsure she can be produced on a smaller budget in that her songs require a great deal of work based on the final products of the demos I have heard. But, she allegedly was recording something in Nashville. So, we'll see. In the end, she is 60 and likely wants to take it a little easier, esp. with a FM record and tour coming up (hopefully).

Id be interested to know what Bella Donna would cost now adjusted for inflation.Most of that album was done in one or two takes ..I bet it would only be around 250,000 for the production of the album itself.I can't really believe that they would expect to have a new FM album done for a 2009 tour that they have not even begun recording.

petep9000
06-11-2008, 08:15 PM

She will? You mean she's going to do 'Blue Lamp', 'Straight Back' and 'The Dealer'?
Wow, I am SO there this year.

We needed an interview to tell us this...

"People aren't happy with you for doing that, and we've all tried," she says. "The Eagles tried it, Fleetwood Mac tried it, I've tried it. We try to do it because we want to do something different. But then when you do it, you find your audience going to the bathroom or going to buy a T-shirt.

That's bullcrap. If she were adventerous and playing a club gig and really shook up the set and played nuggets for 500 real fans, no one would be making a Diet Coke run.

Then it appears to be different to everybody."

Different to who???

Well now that she's off the Alonpin (LOL) when is she going to catch up for the lost years? She's still dragging our hearts around, far as I'm concerned...

My voice doesn't change.

:shocked:

People are stealing our songs.

Christopher Nicks suddenly slinks guiltily from the room...

strandinthewind
06-11-2008, 08:15 PM
^^^^^^

I do not know. To get Iovine now would be hugely expensive. But, she had expensive talent then. So, assuming dollar for dollar in 1980's cost and adjusting only for inflation, $250,000 would be a little over $651,000 http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Chrislit18
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
She will? You mean she's going to do 'Blue Lamp', 'Straight Back' and 'The Dealer'?
Wow, I am SO there this year.

LMAO!!!!
:laugh:

Count me in too!!!

michelej1
06-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Christopher Nicks suddenly slinks guiltily from the room...

Chris only steals the stuff that hasn't been commercially released. It's her 1000 harcore fans who steal the rest.

Actually, she must have only 333 hard core fans, because most of the hardcore ones that I know buy at least 3 copies of everything. One for the car, one for the house, one for work, one to keep in its original wrapping, one that's shipped with a "personal" greeting from Stevie . . .

Michele

petep9000
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Chris only steals the stuff that hasn't been commercially released. It's her 1000 harcore fans who steal the rest.

Actually, she must have only 333 hard core fans, because most of the hardcore ones that I know buy at least 3 copies of everything. One for the car, one for the house, one for work, one to keep in its original wrapping, one that's shipped with a "personal" greeting from Stevie . . .

Michele

I know, right??? And one for a friend, with a note "don't play it until I fly out to SLC to visit, and we'll listen together and I'll explain it all to you..!"

(true story, BTW)

bellagypsy79
06-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I am not disapointed with the interview. Let's face it everyone....she is 60 years old... I mean how much further can you expect an artist to go on? I would be exausted.
I can understand why she would want to wait to put out a new solo record. I understand about the downloading, and stealing of music. It costs record companies thousands of dollars to make a record, get the product out there, and sell it. There is so much involved in making a record, that it has nothing to do with some artist being broke, it has to do with the fact that society today has too many things going on that the last thing that anyone ever thinks about is buying a new record. Music today is all downloads, and that's why the cost of cd's are up is because no one is buying them any more. I can completely understand the "artists'" point of view on all of it. {And yes, that bothers me when people want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of a song. Take a pee before the show! That bothers me too. I am a hippie in a way and music has been a big part of my life too, but when I go to a concert I want to sit and listen to great music and not have some drunk people being a pain in the ass when I spent good money on a show that I would like to see. } Sorry, had to get that part off of my chest. But anyway, I don't really think we should pay attention to every single little detail that this woman does in her life. we should all go to the show and have a great time. Take pictures, have fun, enjoy great rock and roll, and most importantly, just smile. Please let's just enjoy her company when she comes into our town, and welcome her with open arms and just smile. Hey look on the bright side, at least Sheryl Crow won't be singing with Fleetwood Mac....LOL!

Sanne2
06-12-2008, 03:35 AM
See that? That thing flying out the window there?
That was my hope for a new album.

GODDESS6
06-12-2008, 04:53 AM
^^^^^^

I do not know. To get Iovine now would be hugely expensive. But, she had expensive talent then. So, assuming dollar for dollar in 1980's cost and adjusting only for inflation, $250,000 would be a little over $651,000 http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

but aren't they still friends, dontcha think he could throw her a bone?~ & here one to us?~ i would love to hear new music, but if she would just record some of the demos we all know & love that would be fine w/me too~ i just want to hear something new!!!~

trackaghost
06-12-2008, 05:24 AM

Michele

Absolutely. How out of touch is she?

It really pisses me off that essentially she's saying that her career these days is dictated by casual fans. They want to hear the hits when they come to shows so she won't change the set list, they won't buy a new album they'll steal it, so she won't record or release one. I really appreciate that she thinks so little of us.

And the idea that non-hits make people rush to the t-shirt stands is rubbish because last time she tried that was with Beautiful Child, at Lindsey's urging I must add, and it was so successful she carried it over into her solo shows. Plus if it did make people run to buy a t-shirt she should be happy. That's where most artists make their money from these days anyway.

Plus, her choice of cover songs recently would make me rush to the t-shirt stand. Apparently covering Dave Matthews or whoever makes more sense than trying out Nightbird or I Don't Wanna Know or whatever, because when people go to a Stevie show obviously they want to hear her play other people's hits.

Also, it seems to me that many artists who used to sell millions of records still manage to release albums somewhat regularly and manage pretty well without matching their glory days. But Stevie's reason for making music appears to completely based on sales, according to what she's been saying recently. And if Stevie really can't produce an album unless it costs millions of dollars maybe she really is as untalented as some people have accused her of.

wheart
06-12-2008, 05:41 AM
See that? That thing flying out the window there?
That was my hope for a new album.

Yup! it ain't happening.

SortaSavageLike
06-12-2008, 07:46 AM
As a wise old man once said...

Oh Well. :rolleyes:

Musicman408
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Again, I wonder if she is having difficulty getting the producers and musicians she wants. For her to produce a record the way she wants to produce it would cost at least a million.

This is why she needs to give me a call. I would be more than willing to help her out.:laugh:

Seriously though, I am just glad that she is still touring. I remember a couple of years ago, the question was asked if we felt like we'd ever see another Stevie solo tour, and then we get both Crystal Visions 2007 and 2008. I know from personal experience that doing stuff with a band is difficult, so if she wants to take her time, I understand.

I think that we should be thankful that she is still with us, and enjoy whatever she wants to put out there. I thought that the Alpharetta show was amazing, and for a 60 year old to do that.....Pretty remakable.

petep9000
06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Oy, oy, and oy.

David
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Absolutely. How out of touch is she?I hate to say it, but her powers of reasoning aren't that great, either (although this might not surprise anyone). It isn't only new studio albums that are downloaded illegally or traded around illegally. It's also all those "best of" & "very best of" CDs that Stevie & Fleetwood keep putting out.

It really pisses me off that essentially she's saying that her career these days is dictated by casual fans. A long time ago, it occurred to me that Fleetwood Mac (as a unit) didn't distinguish, in any aspect of its outlook, between "audience" (anyone present at the concert or any album purchaser) & "fan." The club idea that fans have always mentioned as a legitimate way out of the problem Stevie cites is excellent, but Stevie must not consider it viable or desirable. She has played enough clubs in her lifetime -- even touring clubs in 1999 & 2000 -- to have decided for or against the idea of taking her act out of the impersonal arenas, where she feels she has to please 10,000 people for two hours, & she has apparently decided against it.

And the idea that non-hits make people rush to the t-shirt stands is rubbish because last time she tried that was with Beautiful Child, at Lindsey's urging I must add, and it was so successful she carried it over into her solo shows. Plus if it did make people run to buy a t-shirt she should be happy. That's where most artists make their money from these days anyway.Yep, yep & yep. I was going to say, Why should she be so preoccupied with that (which happens at every rock concert regardless of what's played)? What does it matter to Stevie's bottom line? Admission is already bought in every case.

michelej1
06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Plus, her choice of cover songs recently would make me rush to the t-shirt stand. Apparently covering Dave Matthews or whoever makes more sense than trying out Nightbird or I Don't Wanna Know or whatever, because when people go to a Stevie show obviously they want to hear her play other people's hits.

Exactly. I have to emphasize that it's not just the covers that bother me (and they bother me a LOT), it's also the choice. I haven't heard this Bob Seger one, so I won't judge, but her renditions of Circle Dance, Rock and Roll and Crash are beyond uninteresting. I'll forgive Circle Dance, because it may have been chosen because she realized her father would not be with her very long. So, she gets a pass there.

I don't think her casual fans know Sorcerer or How Still My Love, but she knows she is on fire on those songs. She knows the audience doesn't run to make pit stops during those songs. She can't think of any others in her own repertoire that she can knock out the ball park like that? Well, that's says she has a rather sad view of her own career. Michele

Steviefan49
06-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Michele

:laugh: Thank you! LOLOL..Oh, and also remember.. we go to Amazon and do the "Pre-ordered" ones too... so that we will get them, the day stuff comes out! LOLOL- So, for some of us.. that's 4 copies! :laugh: SHEESH.. Get it right Stevie!

studyinscarlet
06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
All these years, all these interviews... I wish Stevie would 'own' her addiction to Klonopin and stop behaving as if she was a victim there. I've taken it for years for anxiety. You can only abuse it if you abuse it. Lump it in with the cocaine and other junk and stop making it a seperate issue that you did, in fact, abuse Klonopin. I love her, but she really should do that after all these years.

As far as the other stuff? I wonder who she's listening to that's advising her on setlists and new albums? Who says 1000 hardcore fans are stealing music? And who, by this time, does not know every song on every album she's put out? How could she put out a different setlist and have people NOT know the songs? They've been out there forever. And if it's a bootleg I haven't heard then that would make me stay and want to hear this new thing.

Geez, I don't go to the bathroom during a Stevie concert. It's before and after. I get my t-shirt before too. Stevie used to be a lot more in touch it seems with her fans. Maybe playing in casinos is not the best venue to be judging your real audience? She's skipped the old Star Lake amp./now Post Gazette Pavillion for the last couple of little tours. Last thing I saw was the TISL concert. Get out of the casinos and come back and visit us little Stevie.

petep9000
06-12-2008, 12:10 PM
All these years, all these interviews... I wish Stevie would 'own' her addiction to Klonopin and stop behaving as if she was a victim there. I've taken it for years for anxiety. You can only abuse it if you abuse it. Lump it in with the cocaine and other junk and stop making it a seperate issue that you did, in fact, abuse Klonopin. I love her, but she really should do that after all these years.

Thank you for saying this. She's doing such a disservice to the millions of people who take Klonopin (or Ativan, or Xanax etc) to manage their anxiety and have no bad effects from it. I myself take Ativan as needed, and the instructions are clearly written on the bottle on how many to take and it wouldn't occur to me to take 6 times the amount- well, unless I was a celebretard and my "doctor" was giving me the Klonopin in plastic baggies by the hundreds for cash.

Read the label Stevie. Ot have Glen or Rebecca read it for you if you're too busy writing reams of new music.

David
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I haven't heard this Bob Seger one, so I won't judgeIt sounds like standard Seger to me -- straightforward blues rock that no more requires a singer to "interpret" it than it requires a guitarist to "interpret" it. It's one of those songs you just ... play. It would be suitable for stripping down to your underwear, cranking the volume on your dad's expensive sound system, & dancing around in your living room. I saw the video on YouTube from one of Stevie's shows; she & her band just ... play it. :shrug:

I love CIRCLE DANCE, though, & felt a studio recording of it with Bonnie Raitt, its original singer & writer, would have made a big hit on AC radio.

JeannieKartis
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM

I think its a little insulting to as she puts it, 'hard-core' fans, that we will just buy it and 'send' it on....I think its a cop out, putting out a new album with all the logistics involved is hard work and I don't think she wants to work that hard.....

michelej1
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
As far as the other stuff? I wonder who she's listening to that's advising her on setlists and new albums? Who says 1000 hardcore fans are stealing music?

Actually, they're more likely to buy the music and give it to friends as gifts. Honestly, since you could get a CD with your ticketmaster purchase, I had so many copies of UTS, I could have paved my driveway with them. But as has been noted, Stevie's confusing the behavior of hard core fans with that of casual fans here.

Geez, I don't go to the bathroom during a Stevie concert. It's before and after. I get my t-shirt before too.

I never leave my seat. Still, it's true that a lot of people did run for the doors during the SYW tour, for Come and Red Rover especially, but it's hard for me to know whether it happened during any of Stevie's new songs because she didn't keep them in the setlist long enough for me to make an assessment.

Michele

michelej1
06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I saw the video on YouTube from one of Stevie's shows; she & her band just ... play it. :shrug:

I love CIRCLE DANCE, though, & felt a studio recording of it with Bonnie Raitt, its original singer & writer, would have made a big hit on AC radio.

I've avoided Youtube because I want to be surprised. Although there's no guarantee that I'll be seeing Stevie any time soon.

As far as Bonnie Raitt goes, anytime Stevie wants to get together with her and do I Can't Make You Love Me, I will be all over it.

Michele

Tango
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Like a lot of you, I gotta wonder how many fans she thinks she has. It took more than 1000 fans to make her Trouble In Shangri-la album debut at #5. That's a respectable showing for someone who hadn't released a new album since 1994, and that last album wasn't anything, by her own admission, to "crow" about. On the other hand, is Stevie saying out of all the fans she has, maybe 1000 of them are weasels and crooks. I hope Stevie's implying MOST of her fans aren't ripping her off. This is the lady who said she's given up "everything" for her fans. Did the internet totally change her perception of who her fans are?

I don't even think fans share her album in the way she is imagining. "Those evil internet people." I think the internet fans here have more than gone the mile in policing people to NOT share anything commericially released. I don't doubt there are people that burn a copy for a friend. They did it with cassettes too, in the past. But if you are really really a Stevie fan, you want to buy it yourself, have the lyrics, the art work, the pictures. You want to open the cellophane. (Okay, that part is annoying.) You want to read the liner notes. You want to try to figure out who the people are that she's thanked and why. You wonder if you'll find mistakes on the thing.

The people that got a gratis "copy" from a friend would have never bought the album anyhow. :shrug: I'm guessing if you had to "share" an album with someone, it was probably because you were dragging someone against their will to a concert and you wanted to get them up to speed. You more than made up for it by paying the cost of shelling out for your friend's ticket at the show. Besides, you probably only made a sort of "best of" album, incorporating the gems of Fleetwood Mac and her solo career that you figure they are going to hear at the show. You already KNOW the chances of Stevie incorporating any new songs into her act at this point are slim, and she'll drop 'em at the end of the opening show. (WHY do these artists feel that we have to be on our feet and singing along to every song to PROVE that we are listening and enjoying ourself?) Getting back on topic, if your friend liked what they heard from your promo, if they liked what they saw at the show, and you made a fan, you probably stimulated another sale of her work, or at least a coffee mug at the show. Record companies give out gratus "for your listening" promos all the time.

As others have said, her fans buy MULTIPLE copies. I had to laugh reading someone- I think it was michelej 1- who said you need one for the car, one for the house, one for work, and one kept in the wrapper "just in case." I've done that with a couple of my Stevie/Lindsey/Chris or FM albums.

No one is asking Stevie to drop all her basic staples or hits. Don't you just wish you could have a conversation with her? Stevie's die hard fans just want one or two more songs--something that's a surprise. NOT a Dave Matthews song or Bob Seger's stuff. As I read though the comments, we are all saying the same thing. We've all been saying the SAME thing for the past two years. We just can't seem to get the message through to Stevie.

Stevie: It's a rock concert, they sell beer. People have to use the rest room. It's basic physiology. It's not an orchestral setting. If you want that, stop selling beer at your concerts. Do some intimate venues that require shoes, shirts and ties. Play at the Music Box instead of The Event Center at the Borgata. Stevie, do you even know some of venues you select sell popcorn and hot dogs in the stands! You want people "sitting" or "standing" at the front? Then find a way to get the tickets out to your die hard fans without comping them to the casino people. Stop using Ticketmaster. Sell them through "I Love All Access" or some similar control system.

Stevie, use your "official" fan website more to communicate with your fans, and make it a two way exchange. You said that's what you wanted, before you decided the internet was all evil. At least let the fans vote for TWO SONGS they want to hear on the tour. You can give fans a list of the songs you are capable of singing and find out what your fans have to say. They'd go NUTS for something like that. Finally, stop villifying your fan base. We've been supporting you and your band for years. Many of us stood in the whipping winds and in 6 inches of ocean water at Jones Beach just to see you, risking electrical shock and who knows WHAT was floating in the water there. Others have stood in miserable heat in HOTLANTA and in Texas. We've traveled to Arizona to see "your friends" or to Las Vegas, because it was supposed to be something "ultra." Your fans have been there in the lean years and the thick, the drug years and the sober years. We've been ripped off by the fan clubs that have come and gone over the years. And we're still here. This website proves it.

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Tango;758908]http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/4D42AE024C33B9168625746400781DFA?OpenDocument

Stevie Nicks vows to stick with fan favorites for her show hereBy Kevin C. Johnson

When Stevie Nicks comes to Chaifetz Arena this weekend, her fans won't have to worry about her dropping "Gold Dust Woman," "Rhiannon," "Landslide" or other staples to make room for new material.

First of all, Nicks, 60, hasn't released new music since 2001's "Trouble in Shangri-La"; her latest release is last year's "Crystal Visions — The Very Best of Stevie Nicks."

"They've leaving because they're not familiar with what you're doing and don't care. So all we can do is take the nine or 10 songs they're coming to hear, build a set around those songs, add four or five songs, and mix it around, change the sequencing. Then it appears to be different to everybody."

To me its still the SOS. I guess she is pandering to those who just want to hear the HITZ and not the esoteric stuff that WE on the Ledge all love. I still dont get her doing a Bob Seger song or a crappy dave Mathews song. Just wait. You'll see at Chicago that everyone who has had a few will be leaving to go to restroom when she plays Crash!! Come on Stevie, dig into the catalog and give us something more than this!!!

Glenn

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Nicks, who filmed a PBS "Soundstage" episode to air this summer, had more to say about her music and tour.

Obviously, this must have been a Joe Thomas decision or Soundstage decision because we're all hearing the fall; Don't these people speak to each other???

BombaySapphire3
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I think its a little insulting to as she puts it, 'hard-core' fans, that we will just buy it and 'send' it on....I think its a cop out, putting out a new album with all the logistics involved is hard work and I don't think she wants to work that hard.....

True that..although it does appear a new Fleetwood Mac album will happen so then she can show up to work on it when she feels like it and later complain bitterly that she dosen't like the way her songs were produced.:laugh:

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
[ Q. When you look over your solo repertoire with a collection like "Crystal Visions — The Very Best of Stevie Nicks," are there any regrets?

A. I have no regrets. I did everything pretty right. The only thing was in 1986, with the tranquilizers (she says it was Alonpin). I got through the pot and the cocaine and the Kool menthols and still worked. But the tranquilizers stole my soul. It was a very sad time. I curled up and didn't do anything. I could have made one or two more Fleetwood Mac records, and my own repertoire would've been 30 to 40 percent big

And this guy calls himself a BIG Stevie Nicks fan??? Maybe that tornadee scrambled hiz brainz!!!

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=JeannieKartis;759030]I can do a solo record, but what will happen is 1,000 hard-core fans will buy it and push the send button and send it to 5 million others. That makes me wonder, why bother? People are stealing our songs.

Is this Stevie talking or her label speaking??? HMMM, makes one wonder about that? Is it about the $$ to produce a new record or the effort?? Come clean mystery woman??? 1000 will buy and send it to 5 million? Has she given up the ghost and resigned herself to the fact (in her head anyway) that her CDs will NOT sell. I agree with many of you that they WILL sell if she'd only sit down and DO it. Member when Tom Petty told her to sit down and just do the album at dinner and she relented. He basically said, " Thats what you do!!" Why don't we call Tom and tell him to stick a firecracker in her A** and light it again to get some new music out of her!! Not only that, she has such a depp catalog, give us a half and half deal, new and old deep cuts. I'd buy that and so would the more than 1000 members of the Ledge and other lists!!

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 02:59 PM
True that..although it does appear a new Fleetwood Mac album will happen so then she can show up to work on it when she feels like it and later complain bitterly that she dosen't like the way her songs were produced.:laugh:

So that she can fight with Lindsey some more!!!

vermicious knid
06-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey, who remembers that interview from a few years back when she said she went to Hawaii (with her friends) to write new songs for an album? Even at the time, I suspected that was crap. Maybe she wrote a little, but you don't go on a best-girlfriends island paradise party if the purpose is really to create material for an album. I will try to find that interview.

petep9000
06-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey, who remembers that interview from a few years back when she said she went to Hawaii (with her friends) to write new songs for an album? Even at the time, I suspected that was crap. Maybe she wrote a little, but you don't go on a best-girlfriends island paradise party if the purpose is really to create material for an album. I will try to find that interview.

Her writing on that trip must have been limited to:

"Dear Mom & Dad,
Made it safe, weather fine, wish you were here. Isn't this the cutest postcard with the hula girl on it?

xxxooo

Teedee"

:D

GlennGlenn
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Now its Mexico to do a MOVIE over the summer, thats why the summer tour is so short!!

vermicious knid
06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Okay, I found it.

"Three years ago Nicks and a couple of girlfriends spent three months in Hawaii brainstorming the Tetralogy with a view to translating it into a musical work. 'It could be a movie. It could be a record. It could be a couple of records. It could be a mini-series. It could be an animated cartoon. There is no end to what this could be, because the stories are fantastic."
link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/09/08/sm_stevienicks.xml&page=3)

In addition to there being no end to what that project could be, it also seems there is no beginning as well.

michelej1
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Stevie: It's a rock concert, they sell beer. People have to use the rest room. It's basic physiology. It's not an orchestral setting. If you want that, stop selling beer at your concerts. Do some intimate venues that require shoes, shirts and ties. Play at the Music Box instead of The Event Center at the Borgata. Stevie, do you even know some of venues you select sell popcorn and hot dogs in the stands! You want people "sitting" or "standing" at the front? Then find a way to get the tickets out to your die hard fans without comping them to the casino people. Stop using Ticketmaster. Sell them through "I Love All Access" or some similar control system.

That's excellent advice. You are not going to get your audience's full attention at a casino (where most of them aren't there to see you), at a supper club, or at the Superbowl.

This is from the Riverfront Times (St. Louis):

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2008-06-11/music/stevie-nicks/

During her time as a member of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks filled many roles: singer, songwriter, muse, tambourine player and main hottie. As a contributor to the Mac's legendary Rumours album, Nicks sealed her place in history as one of the great original rock & roll heroines. After penning some of the band's biggest tunes (including otherworldly classics such as "Dreams," "Rhiannon" and "Landslide"), the 60-year-old went on to enjoy a successful solo career, scoring hits with songs like "Edge of Seventeen" and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around". These days Nicks is still working the witchy hippie thing, what with her suede boots, shimmery scarves, untamed mane and trademark twirling dance moves. Her infrequent tours command top dollar, as Miss Nicks is still a powerful performer who has grown into her delightfully distinctive voice.

Steviefan49
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Like a lot of you, I gotta wonder how many fans she thinks she has. It took more than 1000 fans to make her Trouble In Shangri-la album debut at #5. That's a respectable showing for someone who hadn't released a new album since 1994, and that last album wasn't anything, by her own admission, to "crow" about. On the other hand, is Stevie saying out of all the fans she has, maybe 1000 of them are weasels and crooks. I hope Stevie's implying MOST of her fans aren't ripping her off. This is the lady who said she's given up "everything" for her fans. Did the internet totally change her perception of who her fans are?

I don't even think fans share her album in the way she is imagining. "Those evil internet people." I think the internet fans here have more than gone the mile in policing people to NOT share anything commericially released. I don't doubt there are people that burn a copy for a friend. They did it with cassettes too, in the past. But if you are really really a Stevie fan, you want to buy it yourself, have the lyrics, the art work, the pictures. You want to open the cellophane. (Okay, that part is annoying.) You want to read the liner notes. You want to try to figure out who the people are that she's thanked and why. You wonder if you'll find mistakes on the thing.

The people that got a gratis "copy" from a friend would have never bought the album anyhow. :shrug: I'm guessing if you had to "share" an album with someone, it was probably because you were dragging someone against their will to a concert and you wanted to get them up to speed. You more than made up for it by paying the cost of shelling out for your friend's ticket at the show. Besides, you probably only made a sort of "best of" album, incorporating the gems of Fleetwood Mac and her solo career that you figure they are going to hear at the show. You already KNOW the chances of Stevie incorporating any new songs into her act at this point are slim, and she'll drop 'em at the end of the opening show. (WHY do these artists feel that we have to be on our feet and singing along to every song to PROVE that we are listening and enjoying ourself?) Getting back on topic, if your friend liked what they heard from your promo, if they liked what they saw at the show, and you made a fan, you probably stimulated another sale of her work, or at least a coffee mug at the show. Record companies give out gratus "for your listening" promos all the time.

As others have said, her fans buy MULTIPLE copies. I had to laugh reading someone- I think it was michelej 1- who said you need one for the car, one for the house, one for work, and one kept in the wrapper "just in case." I've done that with a couple of my Stevie/Lindsey/Chris or FM albums.

No one is asking Stevie to drop all her basic staples or hits. Don't you just wish you could have a conversation with her? Stevie's die hard fans just want one or two more songs--something that's a surprise. NOT a Dave Matthews song or Bob Seger's stuff. As I read though the comments, we are all saying the same thing. We've all been saying the SAME thing for the past two years. We just can't seem to get the message through to Stevie.

Stevie, use your "official" fan website more to communicate with your fans, and make it a two way exchange. You said that's what you wanted, before you decided the internet was all evil. At least let the fans vote for TWO SONGS they want to hear on the tour. You can give fans a list of the songs you are capable of singing and find out what your fans have to say. They'd go NUTS for something like that. Finally, stop villifying your fan base. We've been supporting you and your band for years. Many of us stood in the whipping winds and in 6 inches of ocean water at Jones Beach just to see you, risking electrical shock and who knows WHAT was floating in the water there. Others have stood in miserable heat in HOTLANTA and in Texas. We've traveled to Arizona to see "your friends" or to Las Vegas, because it was supposed to be something "ultra." Your fans have been there in the lean years and the thick, the drug years and the sober years. We've been ripped off by the fan clubs that have come and gone over the years. And we're still here. This website proves it.

Amen Tango! Very well stated on all counts! Wouldn't you love to be able to tell all of this to Stevie? Sheesh, if I could only sit down, and add up ALL of the money I've spent on cd's, t-shirts, mugs, programs over the years at various shows, memoribilia, CONCERT TICKETS.. (which I've paid dearly one show to be in the Orchestra pit "JUST" to shake Stevie's hand for the Edgewalk).. and I can go on and on.. - and would love to tell Stevie.. "And you have the heart to sit here and say how I- as a fan rip you off here"? AM I missing something??????? LOL:shrug:

trackaghost
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I hate to say it, but her powers of reasoning aren't that great, either (although this might not surprise anyone). It isn't only new studio albums that are downloaded illegally or traded around illegally. It's also all those "best of" & "very best of" CDs that Stevie & Fleetwood keep putting out.

David, that's a brilliant point. It also pains me that we, the people who do buy her albums, are basically being sold the same old crap time and time again because apparently we don't deserve a new one.

Also, since she's apparently given up on albums and record sales, maybe she should take comfort in the fact that younger fans might actually discover her music on the internet and go and spend money on a concert ticket, since that's the only thing she does these days, and, god forbid, a t-shirt!

A long time ago, it occurred to me that Fleetwood Mac (as a unit) didn't distinguish, in any aspect of its outlook, between "audience" (anyone present at the concert or any album purchaser) & "fan." The club idea that fans have always mentioned as a legitimate way out of the problem Stevie cites is excellent, but Stevie must not consider it viable or desirable. She has played enough clubs in her lifetime -- even touring clubs in 1999 & 2000 -- to have decided for or against the idea of taking her act out of the impersonal arenas, where she feels she has to please 10,000 people for two hours, & she has apparently decided against it.

The fact that she mentioned The Eagles is proof enough of that.
She obviously thinks very little of her audience that they can't take and enjoy a song that hasn't been played into the ground and has a well-worn, totally unspontaneous routine to go along with it.

If audiences can't deal with new or different material, how come stadium-filler, crowd-pleasing Bruce Springsteen still manages to wow audiences each night with varied sets that include, not just album tracks, but obscurities. How come Bob Dylan manages it, hell how did Lindsey manage to change up his sets if audiences are hanging out at t-shirt stands all through the boring, non-hits?

Yep, yep & yep. I was going to say, Why should she be so preoccupied with that (which happens at every rock concert regardless of what's played)? What does it matter to Stevie's bottom line? Admission is already bought in every case.

I think Stevie's ego has gotten so big she can't stand to think people aren't paying attention to her the whole time she's on stage.

Exactly. I have to emphasize that it's not just the covers that bother me (and they bother me a LOT), it's also the choice. I haven't heard this Bob Seger one, so I won't judge, but her renditions of Circle Dance, Rock and Roll and Crash are beyond uninteresting. I'll forgive Circle Dance, because it may have been chosen because she realized her father would not be with her very long. So, she gets a pass there.

I don't think her casual fans know Sorcerer or How Still My Love, but she knows she is on fire on those songs. She knows the audience doesn't run to make pit stops during those songs. She can't think of any others in her own repertoire that she can knock out the ball park like that? Well, that's says she has a rather sad view of her own career. Michele

I can't work out if she has a sad view of her own career of us the fans, the people who attend her shows. But this interview very much sounds like the latter.
She has absolutely no clue what's she's talking about here.

BombaySapphire3
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
LA Nicks is kind of the anti-Tori Amos ..both of these women have a sizeable hard core .cultish following .Amos has chosen to cultivate this group and happily ask for their input on setlists etc whereas La Nicks is treating her most devout fans that have bought anything she 's done over the years as red headed step children and instead catering to casual fans who probably only ever bought Rumours and Bella Donna.Very perplexing.

jwd
06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I say we burn her at the stake. She is a witch after all!

Tango
06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I say we burn her at the stake. She is a witch after all!

http://www.degutis.com/albums/bw/witch.jpg

Indeed. :laugh:

trackaghost
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
You can make fun of it if you like, but she really is a fool to start criticising her fans in interviews, especially as an artist who hasn't released a new album in seven years.

jwd
06-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Ooooh, that's really creepy. I don't think she burned too well.

Tango
06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
You can make fun of it if you like, but she really is a fool to start criticising her fans in interviews, especially as an artist who hasn't released a new album in seven years.

Trust me, trackaghost, I do agree with you. I just couldn't help laugh at jwd! I think it's careless to almost seemingly bait your supporters. This whole money thing-- it's kind of like Ed McMann's mess.

Perhaps they've all spent more than they've earned, and they've all made a heck of a lot more than we'll ever see ourselves. They still have royalties. They've been living in la vida de loca. It's the fans that have made them wealthy. They should all be well off at this point, including The Eagles.

jwd
06-12-2008, 06:15 PM
And yes, that bothers me when people want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of a song. Take a pee before the show! That bothers me too.

Have mercy child! Stevie's old and so are a lot of her fans! Incontinence is not something to scoff at. You'll understand one day, yup! :nod:

BombaySapphire3
06-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Have mercy child! Stevie's old and so are a lot of her fans! Incontinence is not something to scoff at. You'll understand one day, yup! :nod:

Hey great idea for another concession stand item The Wild Bladder adult diapers ..you'll never have to miss the extended drum solo or "Crash " again.:lol:

jwd
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey great idea for another concession stand item The Wild Bladder adult diapers ..you'll never have to miss the extended drum solo or "Crash " again.:lol:

:laugh: I like it. Do I get a cut?! Gives a whole new meaning to the song "I Can't Wait"! :] And you thought you'd never hear it again at a Stevie Nicks concert. HA!

Tango
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
:laugh: I like it. Do I get a cut?! Gives a whole new meaning to the song "I Can't Wait"! :] And you thought you'd never hear it again at a Stevie Nicks concert. HA!

There you go again! :laugh: For some, "It's A Really Long Way To Go." What do we have to do to get ANY of these songs back on the set list? "TALK TO ME" Stevie. ;)

Nikolaj
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
It's interesting to me that what has been discussed for months and years on The Ledge, (her setlist), does seem to have gotten back to her, and she's addressing the topic in interviews, though not in an entirely satisfying way to her fans. I personally am pleased to hear about 'Face The Promise' and 'Crash' (though thats not news, by now) and it makes me reconsider seeing her this summer (though i passed on her recent Mohegan Sun show)-
I also recall that when 'Red Rover' was a hot topic here on The Ledge, for whatever reason it became one, well, soon it was in the setlist on the 'Say You Will' tour, so it's good, anyway, that intelligent or pertinent discussions here do seem to find their way to Stevie and Fleetwood Mac.
I think Stevie is in a hard place, and is trying (s0mewhat) to please the die-hards, who have had a viable argument for years (and it seems the most satisfying tour for all of us was 'Enchanted', what with 'Garbo', 'Sleeping Angel', 'Rose Garden', 'Twisted'-- plus she had time for her staples.
What i think often gets overlooked is the very reason Stevie began a solo career to begin with, was because 'all i get is 2 or 3 songs every few years per album with FM and i have too many songs'-- Remembering this, Stevie long ago should have realized that her solo tours should be a vehicle for her solo material, and her Mac tours, for her Mac material. Imagine how much more impact 'Landslide', 'Gold Dust Woman', 'Rhiannon', 'Dreams' and the others would have if not performed constantly on every Stevie and FM tour, and bless her wild heart, since 1997, i think there has been just one year she has not toured, either with Mac or solo. I think every (or lets say most) solo album needs to be represented during a solo tour, and that means bringing back 'Talk To Me' or any track from RAL, it means 'Long Way To Go' from TOSOTM, well, whatever, -- but, i guess if any of us ever gets to have a career, then we too can decide what the hell it is that we want to sing at concerts, and clearly, she feels this is the music she wants to perform, and truth is, we can take it, or leave it, and not attend.
Even little Nicks-isms of the past would help (like, when she'd sing a line or 2 of 'At The Fair' or a line from 'Violet and Blue)'-- this could be fun for both Stevie, and for the die-hards, if at beginnings or endings of say 'Dreams' she'd throw in 'go on save yourself, leave the key' or at the conclusion of 'Rhiannon' if she'd add 'and she goes each day to the forest of the black roses'--- or if on 'If Anyone Falls' she'd do a line or 2 of '24 Karat Gold'-- any little thing like this would have me attending as many shows as i can, and she'd get to keep doing the hits she is so loyal to, while acknowledging those many amongst us, to whom she is SO much more than ''thunder only happens when it's rainin"...
As for releasing a new cd, do it. More than 1,000 people will buy it, promise :) I, amongst this 1000, promise that ALL of us will not download any of it to anyone! Get new material out there for us, then we won't have to search the web for ANY song we haven't heard a zillion times :)

RockALittle250
06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Alot of fans on Seven Wonders, including myself, are emailing Liz Rosenberg in hopes that she will do some damage control and/or Stevie will apologize. Her email address is Liz.Rosenberg@wbr.com. If enough people speak up, we can get some answers!

michelej1
06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Imagine how much more impact 'Landslide', 'Gold Dust Woman', 'Rhiannon', 'Dreams' and the others would have if not performed constantly on every Stevie and FM tour, and bless her wild heart, since 1997, i think there has been just one year she has not toured, either with Mac or solo.

Yes, I was reading that River Front Times blurb which talked about her "infrequent tours" and I wondered, "Where have they been?"

Although Landslide wasn't out of the setlist for as long as Stevie thought it had been, anytime something goes even for a little while, it's exciting to see it return. A rest is as good as a change. So, juggling the setlist a little would not only let us hear rarer songs, but it would give us a chance to miss and appreciate the regulars more.

Michele

starshine
06-12-2008, 09:06 PM
All of you made some great points in this thread...I posted on 7 wonders also...its long. So I don't want to rehash it all....Needless to say...I make no excuses for Stevie's comments about us 'hardcore fans'...I think it was uncalled for and inexcusable on her part. If your not feeling well or whatever than call off the interview. We as fans have support her through thick and thin yrs. I take it as a slap in the face so to speak. I've been a fan of some 20 yrs now and others here longer and its horrible to hear an artist speak so belittling of the fans that helped her become the success that she is or should I say 'was' now. She should be kissing the ground everyday for all the success that she has had. Instead of looking at the negative side she should be happy. Some people have nothing and she has much to be greatful for. Act like it....she's so Diva like now its not funny. You don't appreciate your fans...well I guess we don't need to buy anything else ever again and
your set for life already. Christine was smart she got out on top of the biz so to speak.....I guess Stevie should've done the same thing after Enchanted really. I don't need anymore GH packages. If Stevie isn't inspired by her fans or music...than why should I be inspired to support that music anymore?? I really don't know right now. How very sad really....its come down to this.......I see Stevie on Sunday night @ DTE but I'm not looking forward to it.....it'll probably be my last Stevie concert ever....I won't say never...but it would have to be 200% better than what I'll be getting Sunday night before I return ever again........I don't really know how Stevie can make it up to us 'Hardcore' fans.......kiss our butts maybe....release some rare gems ......like an 8 cd set.....dvds...that book..........its gonna take magic right now......I wonder what will happen if all of us will 'forget' about this interview........or not...right now...I'm not....it hurts too much........how very, very sad..........no offence anyone.......:mad::(:shrug:

galestreet
06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Stevie should make her next cd and forget what the world thinks or does, I think she is having a moment, not a real light at the end of the tunnel.:shrug:

Sorceress
06-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Stevie needs to get a grip and just be honest with herself and the public--most of all herself. I bet she really believes the things she says in the interviews at the time, having talked herself into fantasy as fact. She really doesn't seem to exist on the same plane as the rest of us. I'd have a better opinion of her right now if she'd just say, "I'm at the point in my career where I'm not interested in writing; I'm interested in interpreting others' songs and being out on the road as much as I can." Or, "Let's get real. Writer's block is a bitch. But, I'm having a blast on the road with my band, and my charitable work occupies a lot of my time..." I wish she knew that Rhiannon movie nonsense is really a running joke now among people who pay attention and once believed what she said.

I'm with everyone here who have called the music stealing excuse a cop out. It's not even logical. She might as well say "I can't be creative because I won't make money on it." It's sad that she doesn't see any reason to love and practice that gigantic segment of her craft anymore. There is ALWAYS a way to make music and get it out there for someone with Stevie's profile. Jesus. Who cares if it sells 45 copies? You can't tell me that Stevie couldn't afford to finance a modestly produced album with modest sales.

I'm just tired of this nonsense, really, especially combined with her continuing refusal to take responsiblity for her Klonopin addiction and her continued rehashing of the Lindsey crap. If you want a comparison, look at Emmylou Harris. She's in the same age bracket with the same career longevity, but she is still energetically following her muse and putting out great stuff. And you can go see her live for $40. :woohoo:

Oh well. Stevie is who she is, and apparently we as fans should not really expect anything more than what she has been giving these last few years. My expectations are adjusted to the point that the covers she's adding are exciting to me...without them there will be nothing new at all and we might as well just sit at home listening to the same boot over and over for free.

BombaySapphire3
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm just tired of this nonsense, really, especially combined with her continuing refusal to take responsiblity for her Klonopin addiction and her continued rehashing of the Lindsey crap. If you want a comparison, look at Emmylou Harris. She's in the same age bracket with the same career longevity, but she is still energetically following her muse and putting out great stuff. And you can go see her live for $40. :woohoo:

Just exactly what I was thinking while listening to Emmylou's great brand new album.I think Stevie's 7 or so years at the very top somehow spoiled her beyond repair and in her mind if she can't have all the trappings of superstardom she had in the making of each new album then including airplay and sales then she just won't bother ..A line in one of Emmylou's new songs really struck me in regard to artistic integrity vs commercial success "no matter how bright I glittered baby I could never be gold"Well Emmylou still glitters brightly even if she was never"gold" Stevie in her time was Fort Knox ..but she doesn't seem to be glittering much now.

Sorceress
06-12-2008, 09:41 PM
All of you made some great points in this thread...I posted on 7 wonders also...its long. So I don't want to rehash it all....Needless to say...I make no excuses for Stevie's comments about us 'hardcore fans'...I think it was uncalled for and inexcusable on her part. If your not feeling well or whatever than call off the interview. We as fans have support her through thick and thin yrs. I take it as a slap in the face so to speak. I've been a fan of some 20 yrs now and others here longer and its horrible to hear an artist speak so belittling of the fans that helped her become the success that she is or should I say 'was' now. She should be kissing the ground everyday for all the success that she has had. Instead of looking at the negative side she should be happy. Some people have nothing and she has much to be greatful for. Act like it....she's so Diva like now its not funny. You don't appreciate your fans...well I guess we don't need to buy anything else ever again and
your set for life already. Christine was smart she got out on top of the biz so to speak.....I guess Stevie should've done the same thing after Enchanted really. I don't need anymore GH packages. If Stevie isn't inspired by her fans or music...than why should I be inspired to support that music anymore?? I really don't know right now. How very sad really....its come down to this.......I see Stevie on Sunday night @ DTE but I'm not looking forward to it.....it'll probably be my last Stevie concert ever....I won't say never...but it would have to be 200% better than what I'll be getting Sunday night before I return ever again........I don't really know how Stevie can make it up to us 'Hardcore' fans.......kiss our butts maybe....release some rare gems ......like an 8 cd set.....dvds...that book..........its gonna take magic right now......I wonder what will happen if all of us will 'forget' about this interview........or not...right now...I'm not....it hurts too much........how very, very sad..........no offence anyone.......:mad::(:shrug:

I really think this is less about the fans and more about Stevie's rationalizing her stagnation and generally being out of touch with modern technology. (And apparently about making money).
My point is, I guess I don't really expect Stevie to do anything for me just because I call myself a fan. But I wish she'd do something more for herself, to be growing and learning and alive as an artist.

RockALittle250
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I keeping looking at this part of the quote:

That's why I'm doing more greatest hits and going back in the vaults and finding cool stuff that might bring people out to Borders and Starbucks to buy a record. I can do a solo record

What does she mean by this? Does she mean she's finding old demos and re-recording them, possibly for the Soundstage CD for example? I'm just confused by this...she couldn't mean putting these kinds of songs on her setlist, because as we know, there are no old demos/rarity songs on her setlist.

michelej1
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
What does she mean by this? Does she mean she's finding old demos and re-recording them, possibly for the Soundstage CD for example? I'm just confused by this...she couldn't mean putting these kinds of songs on her setlist, because as we know, there are no old demos/rarity songs on her setlist.

I took it to mean that she IS thinking about packaging something new to be sold exclusively at Starbucks, Borders or whatnot. So, we might yet get an official version of The Dealer and other unofficial hits. In light of the Irving Azoff comment about Walmart's, talk about Starbucks and Borders is something that really sounds like they are kicking around.

Michele

Tango
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I keeping looking at this part of the quote:

That's why I'm doing more greatest hits and going back in the vaults and finding cool stuff that might bring people out to Borders and Starbucks to buy a record. I can do a solo record

I don't know, really. Starbucks has been having commericial success selling albums. I guess those that have disposable income for coffee costing more than making it yourself, you won't mind buying the music playing in the background while standing in line. Maybe Stevie or her management have read the New York Times article a while back and think there may be something happening great at Starbucks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/arts/22domi.html

Maybe she wants to go for The Starbucks Aesthetic. :shrug: Maybe she thinks it's a way to keep the music away from that Hardcore 1000 that shares her songs on the internet. As the article suggests, the Starbucks customers are more or less ripened for the harvest, those who foster attributes such as “quality, good will, trust, intelligence.” We know who Stevie doesn't trust.

Then again, I may be totally wrong. Maybe it's HK/Azoff's "modest proposal" for Stevie to get her albums out. (there's a loose Swift reference hidden here somehow, since Stevie sees her songs as children.) Why NOT sell them in coffee houses, then tour the coffee house circuit. Or not. We will all have to wait and see if there's a further explanation of that article somehow.

Nixxxed
06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Starbucks music isn't doing all that well. And Starbucks itself is in the process of closing a bunch of stores. For that matter, Borders (Stevie's other example) just posted a loss for the first quarter.

Here's an article about Starbucks Music from March of this year:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/17/technology/starbucks.php?page=1

AliceLover
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I took it to mean that she IS thinking about packaging something new to be sold exclusively at Starbucks, Borders or whatnot. So, we might yet get an official version of The Dealer and other unofficial hits. In light of the Irving Azoff comment about Walmart's, talk about Starbucks and Borders is something that really sounds like they are kicking around.

Michele

I think Stevie meant going back to get the videos for CV and using the backdrop for her tour. I also think she counts "silver springs" on CV as one of the things she dug out of the vault.

The whole article made me sick..I sent an email to Liz.

vermicious knid
06-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Liz Rosenberg may be in a tizzy right now. Madonna is her client also, and there is that business about her brother writing a book about her that is supposed to be real seamy.

studyinscarlet
06-13-2008, 01:20 AM
I really think this is less about the fans and more about Stevie's rationalizing her stagnation and generally being out of touch with modern technology. (And apparently about making money).
My point is, I guess I don't really expect Stevie to do anything for me just because I call myself a fan. But I wish she'd do something more for herself, to be growing and learning and alive as an artist.

It is a bit sad to see Stevie stagnating. Especially since she's always expressed her love of what she does. How important it is to her. That's what makes this interview so puzzling. It's mostly a 180, except for the Klonopin bit.

It is a sort of 'laying it at the fans feet' argument. We don't want to listen to a different setlist, so that won't change. We have to pee sometimes when she's singing, so she won't do anything but the standards in concert. We'll steal her music, so what's the point of a new album?

It's quite disappointing. If the thrill is gone, we shouldn't take the blame for that.

wheart
06-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Just exactly what I was thinking while listening to Emmylou's great brand new album.I think Stevie's 7 or so years at the very top somehow spoiled her beyond repair and in her mind if she can't have all the trappings of superstardom she had in the making of each new album then including airplay and sales then she just won't bother ..A line in one of Emmylou's new songs really struck me in regard to artistic integrity vs commercial success "no matter how bright I glittered baby I could never be gold"Well Emmylou still glitters brightly even if she was never"gold" Stevie in her time was Fort Knox ..but she doesn't seem to be glittering much now.

I think you nailed it! Between FM's mega stardom and her own solo success, Stevie just can't seem to settle for less. So she's chosen to settle for nothing and piss off many of her loyalists. Many artists these days are responding to the vastly different marketplace and are trying to come up with new ways to get their music out there. Stevie just doesn't seem to care anymore...

Sorceress
06-13-2008, 07:34 AM
It's quite disappointing. If the thrill is gone, we shouldn't take the blame for that.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say, but you said it way better!

Steviefan49
06-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I think Stevie meant going back to get the videos for CV and using the backdrop for her tour. I also think she counts "silver springs" on CV as one of the things she dug out of the vault.

The whole article made me sick..I sent an email to Liz.

I couldn't agree more Jimmy! It's not that I'm out for any sort of "Apology" from her, as I don't see that happening.. But does she "REMEMBER" that is was "US" hard-core fans- and I know that there are MANY more that just 1,000 of us, that got her to the point of where she is now????? Does she REALLY feel we are "ALL" somehow, ripping her off- after spending Lord knows HOW much money on seeing her perform at MULTIPLE shows, during just ONE of her tours, let alone, other monies we have spent on cd's, dvd's, Herbie's posters and calendars, t-shirts, tour books from every tour, etc..??? And other memorabilia as well?? It's as like she now feels, what little fans she mentioned are nothing but internet thieves, and I just don't get it??? :shrug: I'll definitely write Liz a letter as well!

Musicman408
06-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Who is this Liz lady?

I think it is somewhat degrading and selfish to say anything negative about her hardcore fans. If it weren't for us, where would she be today?

In addition, it isn't like Stevie's music is the only music that is being copied. It's the same with every other artist out there and you don't hear them saying "oh what's the point in recording when it's all going to get copied." The purpose of making music is to make music because you love doing it, and it is somewhat frustrating to think that a musician is not going to make music because "everyone will copy it". I mean, I would have died and gone to heaven if I had a for real, big time rock and roll band and would be eternally grateful and appreciative of my position in their minds, and would always write my music........ I don't know, maybe that's just a crazy primise.:shrug:

The Catdancer
06-13-2008, 03:43 PM
If it wasn't for us she'd still be cleaning houses and serving coffee. It's a slap in the face to me. I've been a fan for more than 30 years and now I'm considered a thief??? It doesn't make sense at all and if she really said that, it's pretty sad.
And yes Stevie, some of us have to go to the bathroom especially when you do covers no one is interested in. Give me a break.

Steviefan49
06-13-2008, 04:00 PM
If it wasn't for us she'd still be cleaning houses and serving coffee. It's a slap in the face to me. I've been a fan for more than 30 years and now I'm considered a thief??? It doesn't make sense at all and if she really said that, it's pretty sad.
And yes Stevie, some of us have to go to the bathroom especially when you do covers no one is interested in. Give me a break.

Ok??? Exactly!! Couldn't have said it better.. I just don't understand at all..:shrug:

Ghost_Tracker
06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Who cares if it sells 45 copies? .

Warner Brothers does. Very MUCH so.

And - - - You CAN'T market an album successfully these days without a large distributer. i.m.o. it's just simply not realistic.

Check out the end of Eric Clapton's recent autobiography.

He said that the record companies have decided that they're going to scale WAY back by 2010 - two short years from now. Less, in fact. The Internet is drastically changing things, as we all know. I think it's reasonable for Stevie to feel bothered by that after 35 years in the business - and it IS a business. And to feel a little flustered and confused about how to keep this going. And to feel angry about the reasons why.

Pssst Warner Brothers is going to drop her. It's obvious.

Read BETWEEN Stevie's lines...

Steviefan49
06-13-2008, 04:53 PM

And - - - You CAN'T market an album successfully these days without a large distributer. i.m.o. it's just simply not realistic.

He said that the record companies have decided that they're going to scale WAY back by 2010 - two short years from now. Less, in fact. The Internet is drastically changing things, as we all know. I think it's reasonable for Stevie to feel bothered by that after 35 years in the business - and it IS a business. And to feel a little flustered and confused about how to keep this going. And to feel angry about the reasons why.

Ok.. in ALL honesty... do you ever see "STEVIE NICKS" only selling 45 copies of any newly released cd's that AREN'T a "Greatest Hits" package??? Even with Crystal Visions- which more or less was a "Greatest Hits" deal with a dvd thrown in, she sold a hell of a lot more than 45 copies... I know personally, that "if" Stevie came out with a newly released cd of "NEW" - (un-released demo's) and some of her other new songs, I'd be all over that like tomorrow's news.. and I'm sure I'm not the only one! ;)

David
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Beethoven, too, went into a lengthy dry period in about 1813, which lasted until the writing of Opuses 101 & 106, primarily, & brought about for a number of social, psychological, & physical causes.

Stevie, like Beethoven, may well come out of this -- her compositional "horse tropics" -- in a slowly gathering blaze of personal expression & extraordinary artistic accomplishment. We may yet see Stevie's "Diabelli" Variations or her Missa Solemnis in the twilight of her career & life. She may yet alter the face of an art form!

Go, Stevie! :wavey:

petep9000
06-13-2008, 05:25 PM
That's right David, maybe she'll have some of an artistic rebirth and decide to do something completely different, like a one-woman show. She'd be like Dietrich, Lena Horne, etc.
Can you imagine? Stevie the toast of NYC supper clubs or cabarets, at age 65?

BombaySapphire3
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
That's right David, maybe she'll have some of an artistic rebirth and decide to do something completely different, like a one-woman show. She'd be like Dietrich, Lena Horne, etc.
Can you imagine? Stevie the toast of NYC supper clubs or cabarets, at age 65?

I think she is already half way there as a cabaret act and posted as much on here after her show at the Chronicle Pavillion out here a year ago .I believe I compared it to a Judy Garland .Edith Piaf or Dietrich show..I had to enjoy it in that context because as a rock concert her shows don't really work for me at this point.

Sorceress
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Of course WB cares. But does Stevie really need to? Not if what she is interested in is art for art's sake, which I think is much preferrable to art for the sake of fame, glory and money. Being dropped from a major label is not a bad thing, IMO. Stevie and I are clearly not on the same wavelength on this point. I get that. It just frustrates me that she hasn't been able to make that transition to accepting the marketplace and create in spite of that.

I keep saying the same things over and over. I'll go listen to Emmylou now. :laugh:

RoseGarden
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
It's ashamed that this interview came out. With many other suddle words in the past , this just fuelled my inquiry of suspesicion. For many years, I have felt that Stevie isn't who I or We thought...................Still love her music and beautiful face . But if she can not realize without loyal fans to buy her music and go to her concert (nothing is inexpensive--gas, time off from work ect......) then why should fans "bother"?

STEVIE!!~ don't allow my favorite song to become your prophecy! Don't be so rich and ohhh so lonely! We're not gone yet----say something--acknowledge us...something!!!!!! Don't be the lonley rich one with pillars all around. Some people want to do your horticulture. Just show some appreciation. :cool:

starshine
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
My point is, I guess I don't really expect Stevie to do anything for me just because I call myself a fan. But I wish she'd do something more for herself, to be growing and learning and alive as an artist.I totally agree.....but she doesn't really want to do anything for herself unless I guess she's 'forced' by the so called record companies(or so it appears unless this Soundstage thing is or is it just fulling her contract??).....before she started her so called solo career she wanted to get as much out as possible.......I'd did a long list on 7 wonders....I guess I just didn't want to retype it all again....(pg 11 if anyone wants to read it).....Stevie needs to embrace the techno world....heck I'm sure her assistants have bought things for her online...so she could sell so much stuff to us as fans.....but she doesn't want to which is the bottom line. What good are all those outtakes (music and photos) etc why have them if they just 'sit' in some valuet and collect dust....what purpose do they serve? All the excess they(fmac/solo) she spent $$ on in times past. That would be nice to get them out to fans....I can keep going but I'll type this saying that was on a calender I have that have positive quotes on it...."The Man who does not work for the love of work but only for money is not likely to neither make money nor find much fun in life" Charles M. Schwab........I guess we've all heard of Charles Schwab.......don't get me wrong who doesn't want more $$ but not all of have tons of money.......Anyway, she needs to love the work.....etc other things will follow.....if not they maybe its time to spend time with her family and retire.......I'm still disappointed in what she said in that interview.....not right. :(

starshine
06-14-2008, 01:11 PM
And yes Stevie, some of us have to go to the bathroom especially when you do covers no one is interested in. Give me a break.Good point.....totally agree.....heck we all have to go to the rest room til we bust sometimes......even Stevie (other artists) have to go.....were human....give me a break.....it doesn't mean your any less of a fan cause well you've got to go to the bathroom......bs really....:(:shrug: PS: I'm not crazy about the covers either.....do your own catalog not others.....its sad really.......

Ghost_Tracker
06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Ok.. in ALL honesty... do you ever see "STEVIE NICKS" only selling 45 copies of any newly released cd's that AREN'T a "Greatest Hits" package??? ;)

I'd be all over that like white on rice. :wavey:

Also, I'm not a Record Executive who's paid to determine whether a business decision he makes is going to significantly help increase his mega-corporation's profits compared to another decision which could be made. (For example, taking that money and using it to market Madonna's next album and tour even more strongly, making another video for Madonna, etc.)

Record Executives may be Stevie's biggest fans in the world, in their private lives. But professionally, they don't give a crap whether Stevie's albums sell or not. What they care VERY much about (i.m.o.) is whether they will sell MORE than another potential money-maker. They don't answer to the artists or to us, they answer to the stockholders.

IKV Nexis
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Q. When can we expect the next Stevie Nicks studio project?

A. I don't know. That's why I'm doing more greatest hits and going back in the vaults and finding cool stuff that might bring people out to Borders and Starbucks to buy a record. I can do a solo record, but what will happen is 1,000 hard-core fans will buy it and push the send button and send it to 5 million others. That makes me wonder, why bother? People are stealing our songs.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/ikvnexis/comunisum.jpg