PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hamilton Talks Rattlesnake Shake

michelej1
05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
This is from Bass Player, March 2006

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/cookin/mar-06/18912

Tom: When we got to Vegas and were picking songs, we realized we could take some chances. If they came out well, we’d have them on tape—and if they were bad, well, we’d only screwed up in front of 1,500 people. So we brought out “Seasons of Wither,” “No More No More,” and a song called “Rattlesnake Shake.”

Question: I’m glad you mentioned that song. It’s almost the perfect cover tune for Aerosmith.

Tom: Yes, that song is like the Rosetta Stone of this band’s style. A lot of people don’t know that Fleetwood Mac was a kick-ass blues-rock band back in the ’60s, but I always like to point that out. Joe and I used to meet at this underground club called the Boston Tea Party and see them play, and I’ll never forget their amp line. It was a solid wall of Fender Showman amps; it was just so unbelievably cool-looking to a couple of teenage kids who were still saving up to buy their first good amplifier.

Anyway, they had an album called Then Play On, and “Rattlesnake Shake” is on there, followed by this fast boogie jam called “Searching for Madge.” I don’t know if they meant those two songs to always be associated with each other, but for Joe and me, it was all one big, long song. Whenever we’d see them live, they’d play “Rattlesnake Shake,” and they always did a real good job of explaining the song’s subject matter. I’m not sure many people realize what it’s about, but whenever they’d get to the part where the band stops, and you hear a maraca shaking, Mick Fleetwood—who used to have hair down to his ass—would jump up from behind the drums and show these two wooden balls hanging from his belt on a piece of rawhide. He’d hook his finger in there and, you know, pretend he was stabbing a duck in his lap [laughs]. It was hilarious, and we thought, Oh, my God, that is so cool! So you can see we’ve always loved that song. In fact, Joe and I used to play it in bands two or three years before Aerosmith got together. Now we almost feel like it’s ours!

michelej1
05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Then Play On was also mentioned in this response to an Ejazz news article about Bit Torrent, May 1, 2008:

http://www.ejazznews.com/print.php?sid=9391

Bob:

It seems that high quality is already the big trend in the bittorrent world, especially when you download the complete discography of an artist. Case in point: I was looking for Pink Floyd's The Wall...downloaded what looked to be a high-quality bit rate download. It came packed in a .rar file. I was expecting 320 kps LAME files, but lo and behold, the download was actual 1411 kps...a direct rip from the CD. Found a similar situation when I downloaded Fleetwood Mac/Peter Green's Then Play On...great 1411 kps uncompressed files! Insofar as most ISP subscribers have broadband now (I have a cable modem w/ 5 meg per second capability), it would seem pretty easy to set up some high-quality/speed servers and go from there. The future is now!!!