PDA

View Full Version : Anabelle Lee

UndoingTheLaces
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
For some odd reason I was listening to this the other day and it hit me in a way it had never hit me before. I think I never paid much attention to it. It didn't grab me at the beginning so I never really listened but the other day it was playing and I left it on, and when it gets to the end it's just totally haunting. And the guitar on it is gorgeous. And I love the way she sings the part at the end, "I lie down... by the side... of my darling... i lie down". It's funny how you can sing three notes and it can seem like magic. There's a line in a Third Eye Blind song that goes "...and the four right chords would make me cry". I always thought that sounded like a Stevie line and it makes so much sense.

Anyway, does anyone have any info on Anabelle Lee? Other than the obvious, Poe, Shangri La demo, yadda yadda. Are there any other versions than the regular and the rock remix (which I really love)? Any ideas on why it was never put on TISL? I'm just totally obsessed by this song.

And I've always maintained that Stevie was the original goth chick and was sort of left behind by the goth movement, but I can't think of anything more "goth" than Stevie singing about laying down by the side of a dead lover. It gives me chills but it's so beautiful. I could totally see Sousxie doing her own version of this.

JimSATX
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
What is the "rock mix" of Annabel Lee? I don't think I've ever heard that one, just the original demo. Can anyone post it? I love that song, too!

UndoingTheLaces
04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
What is the "rock mix" of Annabel Lee? I don't think I've ever heard that one, just the original demo. Can anyone post it? I love that song, too!

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Annabelle Lee (Rock Remix).mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tsxnnt

Phoenix
04-30-2008, 02:24 AM
O.M.G.:shocked: I LOVE THIS! (off to go search edgar allan poe....) As usuall, she makes the sadness beautiful with a hint of hope. cant believe I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE. This is one of the coolest songs.:thumbsup: The mix on this fan made youtube vid is "louder". Plus the made up pic at 125 is nice also.<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KJcOegUsCrQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KJcOegUsCrQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

galestreet
04-30-2008, 07:02 AM
will you post the original song , i've never heard it or heard of it, thanks!

skuncles
04-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I think the reason this never ended up on TISL is 1) I think it was something that was never meant to be released, just something Stevie wanted to record and 2) I think going thru the legal aspect of securing the rights to Poe's poem may have been too costly. Since the song is just Poe's poem set to music, I think there may have been too much red tape to cut thru.

HejiraNYC
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I think the reason this never ended up on TISL is 1) I think it was something that was never meant to be released, just something Stevie wanted to record and 2) I think going thru the legal aspect of securing the rights to Poe's poem may have been too costly. Since the song is just Poe's poem set to music, I think there may have been too much red tape to cut thru.

I'm no intellectual property attorney, but I thought that literature beyond XX number of years was considered to be part of the public domain and therefore free to use- perhaps it's something like fifty years or so. But then again, I think if you vigorously defend/update your trademark, e.g., the "Happy Birthday" song, I think you can collect residuals in perpetuity. I'm not sure about Poe though. In the worst case scenario, I think all Stevie would have to do is split the songwriter residuals with the Poe estate; she does not have to obtain written permission.

To be honest this is not one of my favorite songs from the TISL era- definitely better than "Have No Heart," but not anywhere close to "Space Needle." Perhaps it would have better potential if given the FM treatment.

skuncles
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I am assuming that some publishing house own the rights to the Poe stuff. True, stuff does go into public domain after a certain amount of time, but if a publishing house keeps renewing the rights, it can be a long time before it goes into PD.

HejiraNYC
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I am assuming that some publishing house own the rights to the Poe stuff. True, stuff does go into public domain after a certain amount of time, but if a publishing house keeps renewing the rights, it can be a long time before it goes into PD.

I wonder if Oscar Wilde's estate has been actively defending the rights on his work. If so, Stevie's in big trouble! :eek:

Phoenix
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I wonder if Oscar Wilde's estate has been actively defending the rights on his work. If so, Stevie's in big trouble! :eek:

:lol: So true. I also think i agree this one sounds like it would bennefit with the full blown Fleetwood Mac treatment.

wolfontherun
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Stevie goth? The woman defies a category but I certainly would never describe her as goth.

Phoenix
05-01-2008, 12:58 AM

I Just wanted to thank you for posting this. Im still enjoying it!:thumbsup:

UndoingTheLaces
05-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Stevie goth? The woman defies a category but I certainly would never describe her as goth.

Well, look at her earlier in her career. Long black flowing gowns, robes and capes, songs about witchcraft, Sisters of the Moon, dreams and chains and all that. If some of the bigger goth bands did a Stevie tribute it would be amazing.

APerfectLie
02-16-2010, 02:33 PM

Can someone repost this rock remix of Annabel Lee?

bellagypsy79
02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Read the poem as you are listening to the demo. Stevie does a little bit of plagerizing, but can you blame her? Poe is one of the greatest poets of all time and this one is my favorite as well as her demo...

Annabel Lee

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsman came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

Edgar Allan Poe

BrokenHearted
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Can someone repost this rock remix of Annabel Lee?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/moy0wmywwze/06%20Annabell%20Lee%20%28Rock%20Remix%29.wma

Here ya go :wavey:

APerfectLie
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Ah thank you so much!

mikebise
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Would anyone be able to help me hear this as a Mac user?

Can I change it to .mp3? This .wma isn't playing on my iTunes, which I used as the application to open the downloaded file.

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

SuiteShangriLa
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Would anyone be able to help me hear this as a Mac user?

Can I change it to .mp3? This .wma isn't playing on my iTunes, which I used as the application to open the downloaded file.

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

im having the same problem. im converting it to mp3 now. ill post it when im done.

SuiteShangriLa
02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
here it is in mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?okjtvvrctmm

mikebise
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!

I LOVE this song! The OP echoed my feelings about Stevie's voice and the music.

I think the demo is exquisite as is!

Nikolaj
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Could be amusing to read the songwriting co-credit should it ever be released. 'Lyrics by Edgar Allen Poe and Stevie Nicks, Music by Stevie Nicks, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench and Sandy Stewart :)
Welsh Witch/Raven publishing?
Edgar Allen Poe appears through the courtesy of no-one, but he always wanted to write a hit song and Lady Gaga hasn't begun her Poe stage yet'

"I read this poem. And there my life changed"

And if it were not to be a hit?? "Poe Stevie!"

Nikolaj
02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, but this Poe talk got me thinking about Eric Clapton. ( I know...) Does anybody know Clapton's work really well? I think it may have been from the 'Layla' album, but there's a guitar-riff that seems almost identical to me to that of 'Gold And Braid's' opening guitar that then weaves in and out of the song. Does anybody know which song this may be, or is it an incorrect memory that 'Gold And Braid's' music sounds a lot like a Clapton tune?
I don't recall this being mentioned on The Ledge in all these years, so maybe I'm remembering something wrong??