PDA

View Full Version : surreal bob welch poetry moment

aleuzzi
11-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Last night I was at a cafe in Rochester, NY where an open mic reading was taking place. Most of the readings were from young performance poets who ranged from grunge to Beat to Hip-Hop to stop-the-war-George-Bush-stuff to folk guitar accompanied reflections. But at some point during the reading, a man in his mid-50s took the stage and cooly, calmly said "I'd like to recite a song lyric, this one called 'Sentimental Lady' from Bob Welch of Fleetwood Mac." And he did just that, read the lyric as a poem. And you know what? It sounded gorgeous.

A friend turned to me and said, "when we get back to your house you HAVE to let me burn that song on a cd."

David
12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
How cool! You should tell Bob (over on his posting forum).

aleuzzi
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
How cool! You should tell Bob (over on his posting forum).

I did and he wrote me back! How awesome is that!

nicepace
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I hope you had your friend make a copy of the entire album (Bare Trees), not just that one song. They'd be in for a treat. Assuming, of course, that you gave your friend the Fleetwood Mac version of the song, not Bob's solo version. (I far prefer the version with FM.)

I didn't see your post about this on Bob's forum, or did it somehow get spammed off of the board? I'm interested to see what Bob had to say about it. He's very responsive to fans.

aleuzzi
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I hope you had your friend make a copy of the entire album (Bare Trees), not just that one song. They'd be in for a treat. Assuming, of course, that you gave your friend the Fleetwood Mac version of the song, not Bob's solo version. (I far prefer the version with FM.)

I didn't see your post about this on Bob's forum, or did it somehow get spammed off of the board? I'm interested to see what Bob had to say about it. He's very responsive to fans.

I wrote him an email, didn't post it on the forum.

nicepace
12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Too bad you didn't post it publicly. It would have made for a far more interesting thread than a lot of what gets posted on that board. (Celebrity obituaries and completely off-topic music posts, for instance.)

aleuzzi
12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Too bad you didn't post it publicly. It would have made for a far more interesting thread than a lot of what gets posted on that board. (Celebrity obituaries and completely off-topic music posts, for instance.)

Oh, I'm sorry, Joanne. I saw the email link first and just used that. And, to be honest, getting the personal response from him in an email was just the coolest damn thing ever.