PDA

View Full Version : Video clips

sharksfan2000
11-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I was home yesterday evening and happened to catch a show on VH1 with highlights of a video documentary on the Who called "Amazing Journey" which is being released this week. Seeing some fantastic old clips of the band performing made me realize once again how poor the video documentation of early Fleetwood Mac is in comparison to many other '60s bands. Now admittedly, the Who was a far more exciting band visually than Fleetwood Mac was and must have attracted more attention in terms of filming them, but you would still think there would be more video of the early Mac. Was there really so little film of the band, or has there just been so little that has survived (or at least that has been released)? We've heard that there were more TV appearances than what we've seen released on The Early Years and the few other video clips from that era that are floating around. What about other video....Promo videos? Interviews? Home movies? Just seems like there must be more out there somewhere. Anyone know?

BklynBlue
11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Those bands which have the more complete visual or auditory records seem to be those with management and/or record labels who had the desire to promote them -
as you noted, The Who were an extremely visual act and their management was very interested in films and other visual arts -

Promoters and managers who worked for outfits like the Gunnell agency thought strictly in terms of club dates and the odd BBC radio broadcast - they were "old school" promoters

Even Mike Vernon saw himself as a record producer, not a "star maker" and while that was great for the music, it could only take the acts so far -

the other thing is that Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac never really broke through in America - again, management, and lack of distribution for their records kept them under the radar of most people outside the big cities -

The only visual records that might still be around of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac performing would be from television shows (European ones as aside from "Playboy after Dark" they never played a nationally broadcast show in the U.S.) and they would most likely be miming to a pre-recorded track -

zoork_1
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
[...]...The only visual records that might still be around of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac performing would be from television shows (European ones as aside from "Playboy after Dark" they never played a nationally broadcast show in the U.S.) and they would most likely be miming to a pre-recorded track

You might be right. However, it appears to me, like it is a complex mess of copyrigt issues, money and potential sales (popularity). There are good visual records from Paris, Norway, possibly Sweden, etc. But we can't buy them, watch them and so forth. When I tried to buy a copy of Njordhallen from NRK it was no, no no, impossible, and when I asked to watch it in situ i got the same answer. I'm afraid the "market" for this stuff is too small, which sucks fat.....