PDA

View Full Version : December 31, 1968, Surprise party

Wouter Vuijk
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi y'all,

I, as well as most of you I guess, am lucky to have the three songs of the Surprise Party from French TV, december 31, 1969:
-Homework
-My baby's sweeter
-My baby's gone (hereafter entitled Dust my broom)

This is what I found on YouTube:
Homework: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSnwi94ANQ
Dust my broom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxUlxUwB2k

Anybody have good quality video's of these (I mean, YouTube is o.k. is you only want to watch on PC, however, on TV one needs a better quality).

Cheers,

PenguinHead
10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting these clips -- amazing! So rare to see color footage of the group playing live. I really dig seeing all the cool "mod" sixites people dancing. Sure glad that Mick Fleetwood decided to start wearing shirts in later performances!

doodyhead
10-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi y'all,

This is what I found on YouTube:
Homework: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSnwi94ANQ
Dust my broom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxUlxUwB2k

Cheers,

Thanks for finding that on youtube
Heros are hard to find , indeed

vinnie

Ms Moose
10-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Hello everyone - I am new here and this is my first post (on The Ledge or anywhere else for that matter)! I have known about The Ledge for about six months and have been really impressed with all the dedication, knowledge and energy that is to be found here.

I just saw the clips on YouTube for the first time before logging in, and was really happy and surprised because film of Fleetwood Mac in their early incarnation seem to be scarce. Great to see that there are still bits of film around with Fleetwood Mac from the late sixtees, that no one - or at least myself - never knew existed. There must be more out there - or maybe that's just wishfull thinking?!

There is a 7 minute - "something" clip of "Rattlesnake shake" from Sweden 1969 on YouTube that does not seem to appear anywhere else - on The Early Years video/DVD that is - which is the only one I know. Do anyone know where that comes from?

One day I hope to be able to figure out how to use the smilies!

Wouter Vuijk
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
One day I hope to be able to figure out how to use the smilies!

:woohoo::lol::shocked::thumbsup::angel::]
:sorry::sorry::sorry:

doodyhead
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
While I dont know about smiles either, I went to Youtube and saw the rattlesnake shake video and a comment was posted saying the entire set of 4/11/69 in sweden was filmed. They went on to say that this was never released in its entirety. I hope someday that the owners of this aquire the rights to release it for us fans as this would be a marvelous thing to see. We may never see all the players again together and some of them maybe never at all. This would be a nice blast from the past for the rest of us

vinnie c:)

zoork_1
10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
[...]...This is what I found on YouTube...[...]

Thanks Wouter for letting us know, great to se Mac in action...

Guess most of you have noticed the appearance of Warehouse New Orleans, LA 02/01/1970 at Wolfgangs Vault. I was surprised to find to Talk with you and Doctor Brown included.......

/z

Ms Moose
10-25-2007, 05:28 AM
While I dont know about smiles either, I went to Youtube and saw the rattlesnake shake video and a comment was posted saying the entire set of 4/11/69 in sweden was filmed. They went on to say that this was never released in its entirety. I hope someday that the owners of this aquire the rights to release it for us fans as this would be a marvelous thing to see. We may never see all the players again together and some of them maybe never at all. This would be a nice blast from the past for the rest of us

vinnie c:)
Yes, the last three sentences are very true (i really only wanted to quote them, but don't quite know how to work it yet). Anyway, Christopher Hjorts book "Strange Brew" does not mention the 4.11 concert in Stockholm being filmed. But he writes that the show in Oslo the day before (3.11) were filmed by NRK-TV (Norwegian Television), and that there is a surviving clip with "I'm worried", "World keep turning" and "Like it this way" - all available on "Early Years". The next concert in Örebro, Sweden on 6.11 was apparently not filmed according to Hjort. Now, activating my "inner Sherlock Holmes", it could seem like Rattlesnake shake is from the norwegian show as well. They are wearing the same clothes, and it seems to be the same setting. So maybe we have to search in Norway (dear Watson).

zoork_1
10-25-2007, 03:56 PM
[...]...Now, activating my "inner Sherlock Holmes", it could seem like Rattlesnake shake is from the norwegian show as well...

I'm quite sure Rattlesnake shake is from Njårdhallen Oslo, (Norway) 1969-11-03... :-)

/z

Wouter Vuijk
10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks Wouter for letting us know, great to se Mac in action...

Guess most of you have noticed the appearance of Warehouse New Orleans, LA 02/01/1970 at Wolfgangs Vault. I was surprised to find to Talk with you and Doctor Brown included.......

/z

As a matter of fact, I once bought two different copies of the Warehouse venues. The only difference between them was the spreading of the two concerts over two CD's. Anyway, the dates were january 30 and 31. On february 1 they assumably joined with the Dead for their bust fund. Only one jamtrack: Dark star / Turn on your lovelight. The complete Dead venue can be downloaded at http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-02-01.sbd.kaplan.9629.sbeok.shnf

I listened to Wolfgang's Vault and noticed some differences as to the two january shows. I'll have to take another good listen, though.
So, did FM also play a whole set on february 1????
Indeed, Talk with you and Doctor Brown were not included on the two january shows.
When wil all are questions ever be answered?? I hope NEVER, so we can continue our lively discussions.

Cheers ;)

BklynBlue
10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
The notes that I have for the two Warehouse boots are as follows:
The Warehouse, New Orleans, LA 01 / 30 / 70

Tune-up (1:52) / Intro (0:16) - Before The Beginning (P. Green) (3:24)

Intro (1:42) / It Takes Time (Otis Rush) (7:27)

Like It This Way (D. Kirwan) (4:35)

Only You (D. Kirwan) (4:13)

Madison Blues (Elmore James) (3:15)

I Can’t Stop Loving You (Elmore James) (3:29)

Intro (1:53) / Albatross (P. Green) (3:32)

Intro (1:02) / The Green Manalishi With the Two Prong Crown (P. Green) (11:38)

World In Harmony (D. Kirwan / P. Green) (3:28)

Stranger Blues (Elmore James) (4:06)

The Warehouse, New Orleans, LA 01 / 31 / 70

Disc 1
Sandy Mary (P. Green) (5:00)

Intro (0:26) / All Over Again (B. B. King) (8:06)

Only You (D. Kirwan) (4:10)

World In Harmony (D. Kirwan / P. Green) (3:21)

Stranger Blues (Elmore James) (5:17)

I Can’t Hold Out (Elmore James) (7:30)

Oh Well Pt. One (P. Green) (2:43)

Disc 2
Rattlesnake Shake / Underway (incomplete) (P. Green) (21:07)

Coming Your Way (11:43)

Tiger (Fabian) (3:52)

Twist and Shout (Isley Brothers) (5:00)

Even a cursory listen to the Feb 1st show posted on Woflgang's Vault would seem to indicate that even though the running times are close with the some of the tracks, they are indeed all different -

What is with the "satanic" laughter on "Coming Your Way"? Thought they would have saved that for "Green Manalishi"!

The Feb 1st show is a strange set - that is the only live version of "Doctor Brown" that I know of, and the only other concert version of Kirwan's "Talk With You" was back in November of 1968 in Stockholm - he performed it twice for BBC broadcasts
It would be great to have "new" recordings -

Dogon
10-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes, the last three sentences are very true (i really only wanted to quote them, but don't quite know how to work it yet). Anyway, Christopher Hjorts book "Strange Brew" does not mention the 4.11 concert in Stockholm being filmed. But he writes that the show in Oslo the day before (3.11) were filmed by NRK-TV (Norwegian Television), and that there is a surviving clip with "I'm worried", "World keep turning" and "Like it this way" - all available on "Early Years". The next concert in Örebro, Sweden on 6.11 was apparently not filmed according to Hjort. Now, activating my "inner Sherlock Holmes", it could seem like Rattlesnake shake is from the norwegian show as well. They are wearing the same clothes, and it seems to be the same setting. So maybe we have to search in Norway (dear Watson).

If you take a look at the very beginning of the clip from "Rattlesnake Shake" you can see a few seconds where the whole stage is filmed and this is definitely not the stage of Stockholm Consert house, which has a large stage at one side of the hall. The stage in this clip looks more like an "island" in the hall and very much like the stage seen in the clips from Oslo, Norway on "The Blues Years" video.
About their clothes; they were wearing the same clothes in Örebro on 6.11 and probably in Stockholm on 4.11 too.... :]

zoork_1
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
[...]...The stage in this clip looks more like an "island" in the hall and very much like the stage seen in the clips from Oslo, Norway on "The Blues Years" video....]

Agreed, I've been there....:-)

/Z

doodyhead
10-26-2007, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=BklynBlue;728468]
Even a cursory listen to the Feb 1st show posted on Woflgang's Vault would seem to indicate that even though the running times are close with the some of the tracks, they are indeed all different -

What is with the "satanic" laughter on "Coming Your Way"? Thought they would have saved that for "Green Manalishi"![QUOTE]

they used to sell those things at novelty stores in the 60s. I recognize the sound. It was most likely a puppet with a tape recorder in it

doodyhead