PDA

View Full Version : Forty years ago today (13 August 1967)

sharksfan2000
08-13-2007, 08:45 AM
13 August 1967 - Fleetwood Mac's first performance at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival. Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Brunning, and Mick Fleetwood played for about 24 minutes.

Their setlist:
Can't Hold Out
I'm Coming Home
I Need You
Fleetwood Mac
Fine Little Mama
World Keep On Turning
Shake Your Moneymaker

They alternated between numbers led by Jeremy and Peter, with Jeremy taking four and Peter three. The arrangement for "I'm Coming Home" was nearly identical to "I Loved Another Woman", which would appear on the band's first album. It might have been the only time the band performed "Fleetwood Mac" live.

Happy Birthday to the band! :woohoo:

A bit of music trivia.....exactly two years earlier, on 13 August 1965, Jefferson Airplane played their first show at the Matrix club in San Francisco.

GJK
08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
13 August 1967 - Fleetwood Mac's first performance at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival. Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Brunning, and Mick Fleetwood played for about 24 minutes.

Their setlist:
Can't Hold Out
I'm Coming Home
I Need You
Fleetwood Mac
Fine Little Mama
World Keep On Turning
Shake Your Moneymaker

They alternated between numbers led by Jeremy and Peter, with Jeremy taking four and Peter three. The arrangement for "I'm Coming Home" was nearly identical to "I Loved Another Woman", which would appear on the band's first album. It might have been the only time the band performed "Fleetwood Mac" live.

Happy Birthday to the band! :woohoo:

I'm listening to the concert right now!
I don't think they ever played "I'm coming home" again.

GJK

sharksfan2000
08-14-2007, 12:42 AM
If Jeremy Spencer happens to be reading this thread......do you have any recollections of the Windsor show?

chiliD
08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
According to CDUniverse.com, the well-circulated bootleg recording of the first Fleetwood Mac show will be (semi?) officially released on September 18th as a new 2 disc set along with the Live At The Marquee 1967 disc as the 2nd disc.

Fleetwood Mac's first show CD at CDUniverse.com (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7494297&BAB=M)

shackin'up
08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Now that is a nice 40th birthdaypresent. Shame that I will be 42 five days later.;)

I think that is very good news, ChiliD!

Wouter Vuijk
08-17-2007, 04:55 PM
According to CDUniverse.com, the well-circulated bootleg recording of the first Fleetwood Mac show will be (semi?) officially released on September 18th as a new 2 disc set along with the Live At The Marquee 1967 disc as the 2nd disc.

Fleetwood Mac's first show CD at CDUniverse.com (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7494297&BAB=M)

I believe all true fans already have this show, as well as the previously released Live At The Marquee. So what's new?
Furthermore, I'd like to know where CD Universe got the Windsor tapes. Somebody has been taping the show and made it possible for all us fans to spread it all over the world, thanks to the internet. Now some commercial company is trying to make money out of it? I wonder how much they're going to pay the bloke who did the taping????? Bet he/she won't see a penny.

Wouter Vuijk
08-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Hah, I just took a look at the cduniverse info. They list track 4 as "instrumental".
My God, don't they even know that this is THE ultimate beginning of the name Fleetwood Mac?
Shame, shame, shame, shame.......:mad:

As for the Marquee show, why not completing it with the two omitted tracks ("Long Grey Mare" and "Red Hot Mama") as mentioned on the Chrome Oxide page:
http://www.chromeoxide.com/green.htm#Marquee
Then at least it would have given some extras compared to the previous release.:confused: :confused:

shackin'up
08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I believe all true fans already have this show, as well as the previously released Live At The Marquee. So what's new?
Furthermore, I'd like to know where CD Universe got the Windsor tapes. Somebody has been taping the show and made it possible for all us fans to spread it all over the world, thanks to the internet. Now some commercial company is trying to make money out of it? I wonder how much they're going to pay the bloke who did the taping????? Bet he/she won't see a penny.

I hope the soundquality is better than the recording we know....

becca
08-18-2007, 11:45 PM
They could have included the proto-FM sides Double Trouble, It Hurts Me Too, Curly, Rubber Duck and Fleetwood Mac... then it would be more a great front bookend set eh?

What a grand year 1967 were! And our Chicken Shack too and all.

Wouter Vuijk
08-19-2007, 06:38 AM
They could have included the proto-FM sides Double Trouble, It Hurts Me Too, Curly, Rubber Duck and Fleetwood Mac... then it would be more a great front bookend set eh?

Not too sure about that, I certainly wouldn't want John Mayalls voice in there.
So if you insist, leave it at Curly, Greeny and Rubber Duck. Perhaps even The Supernatural, The Stumble and You Don't Love Me from the Hard Road album.

Or, another possibility,
Both the Fleetwood Mac and the Bluesbreakers show on august 13, 1967 at Windsor on 1 CD, no Marquee.
Bluesbreakers (with Mick Taylor) setlist:
1 Instrumental (Driving Sideways) (4.34)
2 I can't quit you Baby (4.51)
3 Sonny Boy blow (4.36)
4 Stand Back Baby (2.59)
5 Oh Pretty Woman (4.07)
6 It's my own Fault (7.42)
Encore
7 Ridin on the L & N (3.00)

becca
08-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Mayall gave the Decca studio time to Peter for those but I was under the impression they were takes with Peter's vocals. I guess I've been chasing shadows in thinking that? :)

Picking a birth of any band is a tricky science but thought that studio date could be in the running...

jeremy spencer
08-19-2007, 03:33 PM

What a grand year 1967 were! And our Chicken Shack too and all.

Double Trouble, It Hurts Me Too, Curly and Rubber Duck all had Aynsley Dunbar on drums.

becca
08-19-2007, 04:50 PM
"So Peter, John and I went into Decca's studios and recorded two sides of a single, 'Double Trouble' and 'It Hurts Me Too'. We also recorded three instrumentals; two of them, 'Curly' and 'Rubber Duck', were later released as B-sides of the singles. The third instrumental was a three-minute twelve-bar R&B shuffle with a fast tempo tapped on the high hat cymbal, Peter picking nimble blues changes. It was a real Chicago-sounding track, especially when Peter overdubbed a growling harmonica part, in the style of the immortal Little Walter. This third track, Peter later told us, was named after his favorite rhythm section, Fleetwood and McVie. I remember Peter Green writing down the name on the tin can that held the finished tape: 'Fleetwood Mac'."

- Mick Fleetwood

...which isn't to say Mick couldn't have remembered it wrong but if those sessions exist could be the earliest Fleetwood Mac recordings. Aynsley was out of The Bluesbreakers at this time when the above session at Decca took place.

sharksfan2000
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for joining the discussion, Jeremy! The discographies I've seen show Mick Fleetwood as the drummer on "Double Trouble" and "It Hurts Me Too" (and becca - it is John Mayall on vocals, not Peter Green). It does sound more like Mick than Aynsley on those two. Maybe there were other sessions for these two songs with Aynsley Dunbar on drums? As Jeremy pointed out, it's definitely Aynsley and not Mick on "Curly" and "Rubber Duck" - you don't need any discography to tell that, just listen and there's no doubt!

Jeremy - do you have any memories of that first show at the Windsor Festival that you'd like to share?

becca
08-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the added info. I was thinking there must've been variations of the same recordings that were not Bluesbreakers or something but then he writes that they were released so he's probably just gotten it mixed up, or the person he wrote with did. It does come across as though there were only three players at the session(s) mentioned who would form FM a few months later but I guess it wasn't quite that way or as significant as alluded to. I know, it was that perm that addled his brain! :)

Keith Hartley, who later had his own group, replaced Mick in the Bluesbreakers; could he have come in afterwards on those tracks? That would at least make some sense of Mick saying he was at the sessions for those titles. If Aynsley Dunbar was there it would mean he was at sessions before he was in the group, or that he wasn't there at all never mind playing on them. I don't suppose he could have mimicked Dunbar being quite a different style of drummer...