PDA

View Full Version : Ah youth...

mikeschmike
04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/04/22/top.texter.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- OMG!

Thirteen-year-old Morgan Pozgar, of Claysburg, Pennsylvania, was crowned LG National Texting champion on Saturday after she typed "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from "Mary Poppins" in 15 seconds.

"I'm going to go shopping and buy lots of clothes," the teen said after winning her $25,000 prize from the electronics company LG.

Morgan defeated nearly 200 other competitors at the Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan to become East Coast champion and then beat West Coast champion Eli Tirosh, 21, of Los Angeles, California.

She estimated that she sends more than 8,000 text messages a month to her friends and family.

Musicman408
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
8,000 a month? Hope she has unlimiting text messaging.:nod:

mylittledemon
04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow. 25 G's for texting? What's the world coming to?

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow. Think of all the good that money could have done in the world. Feeding the hungry, helping a homeless man, been given to a domestic abuse cause...

But no. It goes to some spoiled little girl who is likely a completel pain in the ass to her teachers because she spends all her time texting....a 13 year old child should not have a cell phone. I hate that everyone and theird kids have them now...and are completely annoying with them.

What a waste....:distress:

GateandGarden
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Damn. When I say that I didn't have a cell phone until I was in college, people actually ask, "How did you get by?" WTF? None of the other students I went to high school with had cell phones at the time, either. We were fine. How can things have changed that much in six years?

And I couldn't help but think how the money could be better spent, too. If I were thirteen, no doubt I'd spend some on myself (hell, I would now), but I would have enough sense to donate some of it to some charitable organization.

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
^^

Right. My opinion is kids and cell phones=NO. My sister has a kid and teaches kids and shares that strong opinion. Parents say "well it's a safety thing" "So we always know where they are"

You know what? I didn't have a cell phone growing up and my mom always knew where I was. And I didn't die for lack of cell phone. It's bull****, imo. I know, I know, I don't have kids...but I'm constantly being annoyed by others' kids who have phones AND horrible manners...so basically that's how I've formed my opinion.

And at 13 I sure hope that the parents don't let the kid blow the money - because I sure would have at that age! And I don't think I would have had enough sense to donate any of it or save it....so hopefully this kid will.

sara1998
04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Jeesh.... simmer down. It's a kid. A kid can have a cell phone AND manners.... My 14 year old went over her texting at 14000 texts sent in a month!!! Her mom and dad work longer then she gets out of school, so she can always call and ask to go into town after school, or if she needs to be picked up from cheerleading after school. If she's out, and is in trouble or danger, she always has a way to get in touch with any of us. You better believe when Sara is going out with her friends, she'll have a cell too.

Musicman408
04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Completely agree with EVERYTHING you all have said. The whole thing is frustrating.

mylittledemon
04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Jeesh.... simmer down. It's a kid. A kid can have a cell phone AND manners.... My 14 year old went over her texting at 14000 texts sent in a month!!! .

Wasnt that whole thing contradictory? If my kid was sending 450+ texts PER DAY and went over their 14,000 text limit, they wouldnt have a cell phone. That's not good manners as far as I'm concerned.

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Jeesh.... simmer down. It's a kid. A kid can have a cell phone AND manners.... My 14 year old went over her texting at 14000 texts sent in a month!!! Her mom and dad work longer then she gets out of school, so she can always call and ask to go into town after school, or if she needs to be picked up from cheerleading after school. If she's out, and is in trouble or danger, she always has a way to get in touch with any of us. You better believe when Sara is going out with her friends, she'll have a cell too.

I just don't think kids should have them :shrug: I mean they are dispruptive with them in school, at movie and generally in public...probably not all of them are - and kudos to parents who actually teach their kids to use them responsibly.

But so many of my sister's friends who gave their kids phones are now in deep doodoo....and owe tons of money because of what their kid did (I totally blame the parents in those instances) but still...

It's just my opinion...but again, I don't have kids so it doesn't really matter...I'll just continue to be annoyed when a 12 year old texts through an entire movie :p

skcin
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't have a problem with kids having a cell if it's limited - either the parents program in what numbers they can call, or pay as they go (no unlimited texts or calls.) It's fine for emergencies. It's rude when people of any age are constantly checking their phone, or texting people, when you're with them. Unless someone is sick or dying or there's a true emergency, it's not necessary to be in constant touch with everyone in your life. Especially when the messages are usually something like "Hi how R U."

BlackWidow
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow. Think of all the good that money could have done in the world. Feeding the hungry, helping a homeless man, been given to a domestic abuse cause...

But no. It goes to some spoiled little girl who is likely a completel pain in the ass to her teachers because she spends all her time texting....a 13 year old child should not have a cell phone. I hate that everyone and theird kids have them now...and are completely annoying with them.

Preach it!!!:angel:

AliceLover
04-23-2007, 02:46 PM

I know....Holy Christ. My sister is spolied and has a cell phone, but she isn't on it 24/7. Honestly it really DOES help. I would feel worried if my child didn't have one.

AliceLover
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Right, OR it might be a kid with good grades and obeys her parents. Don't be so quick to judge.

ryan8472
04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
My sister got a cellphone when she was 14. If she starts to abuse it, it gets taken away for a little while. It's not that big of a deal guys.

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey..my opinion is my opinion...I'm not "worked up" and there's no need for "holy christ" :rolleyes: I'm not changing my mind, kids should not have cell phones. Good grades or not...that's just MY opinion. Deal.

Johnny Stew
04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
When I was young (where did I put my false teeth and my hearing aid?), you used to see PARENTS with their kids. Now you see kids walking around by themselves with just a cell-phone.
TVs and computers shouldn't be used as babysitters, and cell-phones shouldn't be used as a parental surrogate.

If giving them a cell-phone makes a parent feel better about their child's safety, it should be one of the "kid-friendly" phones with limits on who they can call and who can call them. There's no reason they need text messaging, photo-taking and video-capturing abilities, etc.

carrie721
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
When I was young (where did I put my false teeth and my hearing aid?), you used to see PARENTS with their kids. Now you see kids walking around by themselves with just a cell-phone.
TVs and computers shouldn't be used as babysitters, and cell-phones shouldn't be used as a parental surrogate.

If giving them a cell-phone makes a parent feel better about their child's safety, it should be one of the "kid-friendly" phones with limits on who they can call and who can call them. There's no reason they need text messaging, photo-taking and video-capturing abilities, etc.

so kids shouldn't have cameras either? wtf? :laugh:

phones are not the problem. parents who give their kids a cell phone and don't watch them wouldn't be watching them anyway.

Johnny Stew
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
so kids shouldn't have cameras either? wtf? :laugh:What I was saying is that they don't need camera-phones and all of the other bells and whistles. They just need to be able to call home in case of an emergency.
I had a camera when I was 13/14 and loved it. I just hated how long it took for that little bird to peck out the picture on a stone slab.

phones are not the problem. parents who give their kids a cell phone and don't watch them wouldn't be watching them anyway.I agree, the phones aren't inherently the problem... and I didn't say they were. The problem is technology being used and abused in lieu of good parenting.

AliceLover
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey..my opinion is my opinion...I'm not "worked up" and there's no need for "holy christ" :rolleyes: I'm not changing my mind, kids should not have cell phones. Good grades or not...that's just MY opinion. Deal.

Nor is there a need for stereotyping.

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
so kids shouldn't have cameras either? wtf? :laugh:

phones are not the problem. parents who give their kids a cell phone and don't watch them wouldn't be watching them anyway.

So recently there was a situation (I think it was in Colorado) in which some little middle school girl sent a nudie picture of herself to someone. With her cell phone..using her camera phone.

Well this picture, naturally, went out to hundreds of little middle school and some high school phones.

Just one example of how kids are just not responsible enough for this stuff. Granted, many college-aged people aren't either :laugh:

But I do agree, Carrie, that ultimately it's the parents....

BUT I still think kids should not have phones :lol:

danax6
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
BUT I still think kids should not have phones :lol:I agree. At least not up until a certain age, when they're responsible enough to use it wisely. I mean, sheesh, 8.000 texts a month?? I think I'd be braindead after that. Not to mention suffer from a severe case of RSI. (And really, what kind of subscriptions do you guys have there? 8.000 texts here would make me go bankrupt.)

I really do think that all these videogames and cell phones and what not else are a waste of childhood. Look at all of us here, we grew up without all that **** and we were fine. We didn't need a cell phone or a computer to keep us entertained, no, we climbed trees or went out on our bikes and played games and socialized. You know, we were kids.

danax6
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
You know, we have to watch these kids, cherish their youth, otherwise this might one day turn into a real case scenario:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/esM4akoE1WY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/esM4akoE1WY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

carrie721
04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I really do think that all these videogames and cell phones and what not else are a waste of childhood. Look at all of us here, we grew up without all that **** and we were fine. We didn't need a cell phone or a computer to keep us entertained, no, we climbed trees or went out on our bikes and played games and socialized. You know, we were kids.

i totally agree with this. i just don't like when people blame the technology. i had a nintendo when i was younger, and a computer. but i wasn't allowed to sit and play it for hours.

xdreamsunwindx
04-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I've had a phone on and off ever since I was 14. Granted, each phone I had was a prepaid phone that I used for emergencies or long distance. They served their purpose - I could make a call if I needed to, and people knew where to reach me. Especially after I started going to shows by myself, and I needed to call my mom or whomever to pick me up afterwards.

I got my first phone with a monthly plan a few months ago, simply because I was sick of going to Wal Mart or wherever and buying phone cards. I pay the bills, and I never go over my call/text limits. I have T-Mobile with "My 5 Faves," so I put the people I talk to most in my top 5, I get free calls and texts to anyone on T-Mobile, and nights and weekends are free, so I make sure to budget everything wisely.

I love my phone, too. It's super cute and it's bright pink, so it's almost like another accessory. I love that it takes pictures and video. I was at a show the other night, and my camera ran out of room, so I took video on my phone. And my ringtones are super awesome. My phone is simply made of awesome.

foxyluva
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree. At least not up until a certain age, when they're responsible enough to use it wisely. I mean, sheesh, 8.000 texts a month?? I think I'd be braindead after that. Not to mention suffer from a severe case of RSI. (And really, what kind of subscriptions do you guys have there? 8.000 texts here would make me go bankrupt.)

Totally. I had a great child hood - I was outside playing with all my friends every day, because we were to poor to afford any those gadgets. Im so grateful for that, and I actually feel sorry for kids today who don't know how to go outside and have fun...

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
i totally agree with this. i just don't like when people blame the technology. i had a nintendo when i was younger, and a computer. but i wasn't allowed to sit and play it for hours.

You mean you had rules and boundaries...oh you must have had cruel parents...

The Onion just had a hilarious article about how most kids today are "abused" citing kids who were made to wear ugly clothes or clean their rooms.

Anyway, I've already said I agree that it's ultimately the parents...because kids don't automatically come with responsibility and common sense. If a parent lets their kids sit all day and night on the computer or videogame system then yeah...that's a problem...and it's not really the kid's fault.

Of course, that brings me to another strong opinion, I don't think kids (until a certain age) should have complete access to computer (ie in their rooms). :eek: Let THAT one fly....

It's not an issue though, since I really don't want kids at this point...if I ever had any...they'd be so deprived *evil laugh*

carrie721
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Of course, that brings me to another strong opinion, I don't think kids (until a certain age) should have complete access to computer (ie in their rooms). :eek: Let THAT one fly....

yeah, i agree. same with tv's. i got a tv for christmas when i was 14 and it got taken away until i was a senior :laugh: and i survived.

ryan8472
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I just feel that points about poor parenting are moot, especially since A) This girl's parents are obviously responsible ones, and B) none of the people who have responded to this thread besides Maria are parents, so who are they to judge one for giving their kid a cell phone. JMHO.

Johnny Stew
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
none of the people who have responded to this thread besides Maria are parents, so who are they to judge one for giving their kid a cell phone. JMHO.That's not true -- I'm Scary Spice's baby daddy. :nod:

skcin
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Yeah, how dare you, you mean old lady. :p

I was telling someone the other day that if I ever have kids, they are so going to hate me. No TV or DVD in the bedroom, no iPod at the age of 10, a limit on TV time & video games & computer access, etc. I was brought up with a lot of this stuff, and I turned out OK (I think :laugh:) but looking back, I wish I hadn't had it all handed to me. I should have played more sports, I should have been outside more, I should have been more active & less spoiled.

danax6
I just find the points about poor parenting to be moot, especially since A) This girl's parents are obviously responsible ones, and B) none of the people who have responded to this thread besides Maria are parents, so who are they to judge one for giving their kid a cell phone.Not a parent no, but I have a 9 and a 12 year old brother. I especially worry about the oldest, he has a hard time making friends and his social skills are severely underdeveloped. He used to be such a fun and outgoing kid, but he's almost married to his PC/GameCube/PS2/etc. He just won't go outside anymore, and because my mother has let him do whatever the f-ck he wanted for the past 2-3 years, she can't make him either. So, I've been butting heads with her over this for quite some time now. They stay over at my apartment for a few days every 2-3 months and I make sure I take them out and DO stuff. No touching my computer when they're here.

xdreamsunwindx
I just feel that points about poor parenting are moot, especially since A) This girl's parents are obviously responsible ones, and B) none of the people who have responded to this thread besides Maria are parents, so who are they to judge one for giving their kid a cell phone. JMHO.

iawtp. I honestly don't think that kids having phones always = parental responsibility. I mean, like I said, I paid for all my phones. I still do. My folks said I can have a phone as long as I pay for it, so I did. I got caught texting in study hall one day, and my mom said "**** happens, that's why you turn your phone off in school." My parents trust me enough that I can have a phone at 17, and if I get in trouble because of it, it's my responsibility. Most kids I know have the same deal.

foxyluva
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Not a parent no, but I have a 9 and a 12 year old brother. I especially worry about the oldest, he has a hard time making friends and his social skills are severely underdeveloped. He used to be such a fun and outgoing kid, but he's almost married to his PC/GameCube/PS2/etc. He just won't go outside anymore, and because my mother has let him do whatever the f-ck he wanted for the past 2-3 years, she can't make him either. So, I've been butting heads with her over this for quite some time now. They stay over at my apartment for a few days every 2-3 months and I make sure I take them out and DO stuff. No touching my computer when they're here.

Im the same - my sister is ten, and my mother has just given her a cell phone. Lets just say Im less than happy about it. WTF does a 10 year old need with a ****ing cell phone? Seriously.

Johnny Stew
04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
iawtp. I honestly don't think that kids having phones always = parental responsibility. I mean, like I said, I paid for all my phones. I still do. My folks said I can have a phone as long as I pay for it, so I did. I got caught texting in study hall one day, and my mom said "**** happens, that's why you turn your phone off in school." My parents trust me enough that I can have a phone at 17, and if I get in trouble because of it, it's my responsibility. Most kids I know have the same deal.I think 17 is the perfect age to start allowing your child more cell-phone privileges. Even 16 isn't bad, depending on the maturity-level and responsibility-level of your child.
But I still think 13/14 is way too young to have phones that are maxed-out with features. Like you said about your own situation, the cell-phones you were allowed to have at that age were of the prepaid variety, that you used for emergencies or calling home for a ride. And there's nothing wrong with that -- in those situations, a cell-phone is a very valuable thing to have.

BlackWidow
04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
I think 17 is the perfect age to start allowing your child more cell-phone privileges. Even 16 isn't bad, depending on the maturity-level and responsibility-level of your child.
But I still think 13/14 is way too young to have phones that are maxed-out with features. Like you said about your own situation, the cell-phones you were allowed to have at that age were of the prepaid variety, that you used for emergencies or calling home for a ride. And there's nothing wrong with that -- in those situations, a cell-phone is a very valuable thing to have.

You're a mean Daddy!! :laugh:

ryan8472
04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
To be honest, kids that are 13 or 14 know a lot more now than they did in the 70's or 80's. They're exposed to more, and a lot of times mature faster than before. So I think that if the parent thinks the kid can have a cell phone, that's fine. Having said that, I really don't see a point to having one before the age of 14. It's about that time when kids generally do their own thing with friends, so IMO, they're better off with the phones.

Grainuaile
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Tell me about it! Last year by boyfriend's bought a new computer, and gave the old one to his 7 YEAR OLD SISTER. She's 7, what the hell does she need her own computer for?

Cell phones started becoming the norm when I was in high school, and I didn't understand it then, either. When I was out and needed to phone home, I used a payphone. Anyone else remember those? You plunk a quarter in and you get to talk to someone. I tend to have my dad's mentality of I'll get a hold of you when I get a hold of you. Someone dying isn't an emergency, they'll still be dead when I get home to answer the landline.

sara1998
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Wasnt that whole thing contradictory? If my kid was sending 450+ texts PER DAY and went over their 14,000 text limit, they wouldnt have a cell phone. That's not good manners as far as I'm concerned.
That's just it. The supposedly "unlimited" plan runs out at 14000.... She was told not to do it again, and never has.
I'll just continue to be annoyed when a 12 year old texts through an entire movie :p
If the 12 year old texting through a movie has the phone on silent, what's it matter?
I'm surely not a model parent. But, I see the point of giving her (my stepdaughter) a phone. She's 14! She does her own thing with her friends! The live out in the country, so when she "goes out" she stays in town. She is well disciplined and trusted by her folks. If she screws up, she knows she'll pay the consequences. And, she's ran up the bill, and paid dearly for it. She's learned not to do it again. If the kids are well disciplined, then there's no problem. Plus, there's been a time where she was out, got into a situation with her friends she shouldn't have been into, and called me. She was able to get in touch with a responsible adult to help her out. I'm not even her mom, and I feel safer just for that reason. Sara begs me for a phone, but she's 8. Now, what the hell would an 8 year old do with a phone? As soon as she starts going out with her friends, I'll get her one. But, right now, when she goes out with her friends, she's with me or the other parent. :laugh: She's not ready for one just yet.

DrummerDeanna
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
If the 12 year old texting through a movie has the phone on silent, what's it matter?

One, you can still hear the annoying clicking..and two - it's damn annoying to see the light in the middle of a dark theater :shrug: it's rude, and should never be done by kids OR adults.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, that was not my intention - and I don't think you're a bad parent by letting your kid have a cell phone or anything, it's just my general feeling that kids should not have them...but my opinion doesn't mean anything, I mean it's not going to stop kids from having them...so :shrug:

sara1998
04-23-2007, 08:35 PM
One, you can still hear the annoying clicking..and two - it's damn annoying to see the light in the middle of a dark theater :shrug: it's rude, and should never be done by kids OR adults.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, that was not my intention - and I don't think you're a bad parent by letting your kid have a cell phone or anything, it's just my general feeling that kids should not have them...but my opinion doesn't mean anything, I mean it's not going to stop kids from having them...so :shrug:
Haha! Honey, you didn't offend me!!! You have every right to your opinion. I'm not mad at you for that. As far as the tapping and the light... I can see your point.

Macfanforever
04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Cell phones are good for emergencies only,call home for help,In my day in school, there were no such thing.I was lucky enough to bring in my portable radio to class.no walkmans and ipods those days, nevermind cell phones.

Kelly
04-23-2007, 10:38 PM
My older two kids have cell phones. One is 16 and pays for it himself. My 12 year old has a prepaid and buys the minutes himself with his paper money. (he works, delivers newspapers.....so kids can have phones and be responsible and have manners as well....SHOCKER)
My 12 year old is also addicted to the computer and has to be monitered like a hawk. (he has a time limit, etc) However, he also knows how to play outside and get dirty. He plays baseball, skateboards and rides his bike pretty much every day after school. So a kid can still play outside and have fun, but also use a computer. Maybe when some of you actually have kids, you will understand that things are not all black and white.
Why in the world should a kid not have an MP3 player?? My Mom took me to my first Stevie concert when I was in grade school! She bought me BellaDonna on cassette when it first came out.
I loved music and so do my kids. I put the music on their MP3's so I see no harm in them having one. Did you guys have walkman's or boom boxes when you were a kid?

Kids who have cell phones, tv, mp3's can also have manners. These things do not make them spoiled brats, bad parenting does.

I would rather my kid be able to call me if he was hurt or in trouble ....and that does not mean I do not know where my kids are either. Again, things are not that black or white. I know where my kids are most of the time and they could still get into trouble and I feel better knowing they can get in touch with me or vice versus. An example of this happened about a month ago. My oldest son left for school at 6:45 in the morning. I was in the shower, getting ready for work. I heard my cell ringing, it was my son, Matt. He tells me he is in an ambulance, that he passed out at the bus stop. He did not eat breakfast that morning and he got light headed from low blood sugar. (of course I offered to make him breakfast, he said he wanted to eat at school that morning) He passed out and hit his face on the curb. He had to get five stiches in his eyebrow and four caps on his teeth. I knew where my kid was...on his way to school but he still needed to get in touch with me. I am sure I could have waited for a call on my house phone from the police or a phone call from the hospital, like the old days but it was comforting to him to be able to talk to me. He was alone and scared and talking to me made him feel better. Without his cell, he could not have done that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but most parents do not use a cell phone or computer as their new "babysitter".

sara1998
04-24-2007, 07:15 AM
My older two kids have cell phones. One is 16 and pays for it himself. My 12 year old has a prepaid and buys the minutes himself with his paper money. (he works, delivers newspapers.....so kids can have phones and be responsible and have manners as well....SHOCKER)
My 12 year old is also addicted to the computer and has to be monitered like a hawk. (he has a time limit, etc) However, he also knows how to play outside and get dirty. He plays baseball, skateboards and rides his bike pretty much every day after school. So a kid can still play outside and have fun, but also use a computer. Maybe when some of you actually have kids, you will understand that things are not all black and white.
Why in the world should a kid not have an MP3 player?? My Mom took me to my first Stevie concert when I was in grade school! She bought me BellaDonna on cassette when it first came out.
I loved music and so do my kids. I put the music on their MP3's so I see no harm in them having one. Did you guys have walkman's or boom boxes when you were a kid?

Kids who have cell phones, tv, mp3's can also have manners. These things do not make them spoiled brats, bad parenting does.

I would rather my kid be able to call me if he was hurt or in trouble ....and that does not mean I do not know where my kids are either. Again, things are not that black or white. I know where my kids are most of the time and they could still get into trouble and I feel better knowing they can get in touch with me or vice versus. An example of this happened about a month ago. My oldest son left for school at 6:45 in the morning. I was in the shower, getting ready for work. I heard my cell ringing, it was my son, Matt. He tells me he is in an ambulance, that he passed out at the bus stop. He did not eat breakfast that morning and he got light headed from low blood sugar. (of course I offered to make him breakfast, he said he wanted to eat at school that morning) He passed out and hit his face on the curb. He had to get five stiches in his eyebrow and four caps on his teeth. I knew where my kid was...on his way to school but he still needed to get in touch with me. I am sure I could have waited for a call on my house phone from the police or a phone call from the hospital, like the old days but it was comforting to him to be able to talk to me. He was alone and scared and talking to me made him feel better. Without his cell, he could not have done that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but most parents do not use a cell phone or computer as their new "babysitter".

Sara is limited on her TV and computer time too. She is allowed to watch TV only after her homework is done, and she's waiting for dinner to be finished. After dinner, if it's nice, I make her go outside to play. Or help clean the house. She has a little MP3 player, and she loves it! I teach her manners with it. She also has a television in her playroom with a satellite receiver hooked up, but it's not on all the time. I have a computer for her, but it's not hooked up. When it is, there will be parental controls in place for her safety, and she won't be on that all the time either. You have to teach them that there are limits with everything. If you hand them these things, and don't supervise their time with them, that's where bad parenting comes in.

We didn't have such things when I was a kid. Even if we did, we were poor, and would have never been able to afford it. I always had a stereo and a television in my room, and while I still love my stereo, I rarely, if ever, watch television.

So, in my opinion, it's not the gadgets these kids have, it's the parents who give the gadgets. If the parent teaches the child to be responsible with thier things, they will be respectful with them and about them.

Sarah
04-24-2007, 09:01 AM

That's a good point.

I got my first cell phone when I was in the 9th grade, I think. They were quite primitive then.. the old nokias that didn't have any games or anything.. but mine was super cool because it was red. :lol:

There were a few times that I did go over my minutes - which, at that time, the plan was only 200 anytime wtf - but overall, my parents put down the ground rules about it, and i stuck to it. Or there was hell to pay, and it was going to come out of my pocket.

There's just a thing about this board that is like.. okay.. post a story. Now everybody jump in and talk about how rotten the world is! I don't get that. The girl won 25k from a cell phone manufacturer. She's like, what, 12, and people are insisting that what she's done is meaningless and that she should donate the money to charity? Kill. Joy.

Personally, I hope homegirl keeps every cent for herself uses it to get her future started right, but I'm not gonna say what SHOULD happen to that 25k until I take my ass up there and win it myself.

sara1998
04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
There's just a thing about this board that is like.. okay.. post a story. Now everybody jump in and talk about how rotten the world is! I don't get that. The girl won 25k from a cell phone manufacturer. She's like, what, 12, and people are insisting that what she's done is meaningless and that she should donate the money to charity? Kill. Joy.

Personally, I hope homegirl keeps every cent for herself uses it to get her future started right, but I'm not gonna say what SHOULD happen to that 25k until I take my ass up there and win it myself.

Yeah. She's a kid. Take 15 or 20 grand and invest it in a college fund. Take the rest and play with it. She's a young kid, and won $25000 for a "skill" she has. That's exciting!!! If you walked into a pizza parlor and won $25000 for being their millionth customer, would that be meaningless to you? Would you donate it all to charity, or would you pay your bills off and buy something nice for yourself? Charity is nice, but being a poor white girl, I believe charity starts at home. I have myself, kids, and family who could use a little charity.

strandinthewind
04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah. She's a kid. Take 15 or 20 grand and invest it in a college fund. Take the rest and play with it. She's a young kid, and won $25000 for a "skill" she has. That's exciting!!! If you walked into a pizza parlor and won $25000 for being their millionth customer, would that be meaningless to you? Would you donate it all to charity, or would you pay your bills off and buy something nice for yourself? Charity is nice, but being a poor white girl, I believe charity starts at home. I have myself, kids, and family who could use a little charity.

People around here just HATE it when someone get a wad o cash. People around here also love to tell people what to do with their money --- yet, if that same judgment was put on them, they'd balk. In the end, I do not want anyone telling me what to spend my money on, so you likely are not going to hear me chastise someone else's spending habits with their mad money.

As for this girl, I am happy she won. I think her parents should put 90% of it aside for college, but that is just me :cool:

As for kids with cell phones, most adults I know are FAR more annoying with them. Moreover, if my kid was in trouble and could not call me because of some ban on kids with cell phones, I'd go a huntin' for the person that banned them.

sasja
04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I am a mom... my sons are still babies though, at 19 months and nine weeks.

Still. I don't even have a cellphone, nor does my husband. So if the boys at this time were teenagers I wouldn't see them having any either.

I like peace. And quiet. So does my husband.
We have one phone, and people can leave a message, as we answer the darn thing maybe 80% of the time. I don't want to be pressured into having to communicate all the time. Silence is golden.

As for "being able to get in touch in case of an emergency" I just hope such emergencies are few and far between and to raise two sons who can cope with them. I know. But I am an optimist and trust my parenting skills :)

Of course who knows what the world'll look like 14 years from now. Sigh.

skcin
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM

This is my point. Looks like you are raising responsible kids. Not everyone does. I wouldn't venture to say that "most parents" do not use technology as their new babysitter either. No, I don't have kids & there's a reason for that - I don't want to deal with them. :laugh: But I'd say it's 50/50 with the parents I know as far as good vs. lazy parenting, to be honest. Social skills & physical fitness are seriously lacking for many of the kids I know. It's sad.

As far as the mp3 issue, that's my opinion, it's what I would do if I had kids. I'm not saying everyone who buys their kids this stuff is a bad parent, not at all. But I don't like the fact that it's become an assumption that every kid has to have a tv, dvd, mp3, cell phone, video game system, etc. Yes, I had a boombox - the same one from the age of 8 until I was 15. It was special to me, a prized possession. I didn't assume I should have one just because. I was proud & excited that my parents gave me one. Oh, and it cost about $25 (as opposed to my mp3 which cost $125.) I mean, really, it's all relative, and of course I sound like "back in my day....when I was your age.....etc." but it's how I feel. Sorry you disagree.

As far as constant texting, I think it's rude when you're at dinner, or at a movie, or having a conversation with someone & they're texting at the same time. It's obvious that they're not giving you their full attention & it's rude. It's an interruption - same as if they had started suddenly speaking to someone else while you were in the middle of a convo with them, or people who yak on the cell whenever & wherever they may be. Over 400 texts per day? :shocked: How is there time for much else?

skcin
04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I had to. :D

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/04/26/ireland.text.message.reut/index.html

Report: Text messaging harms written language

April 26, 2007

DUBLIN, Ireland (Reuters) -- The rising popularity of text messaging on mobile phones poses a threat to writing standards among Irish schoolchildren, an education commission says.

The frequency of errors in grammar and punctuation has become a serious concern, the State Examination Commission said in a report after reviewing last year's exam performance by 15-year-olds.

"The emergence of the mobile phone and the rise of text messaging as a popular means of communication would appear to have impacted on standards of writing as evidenced in the responses of candidates," the report said, according to Wednesday's Irish Times. "Text messaging, with its use of phonetic spelling and little or no punctuation, seems to pose a threat to traditional conventions in writing."

The report laments that, in many cases, candidates seemed "unduly reliant on short sentences, simple tenses and a limited vocabulary".

In 2003, Irish 15-year-olds were among the top 10 performers in an international league table of literacy standards compiled by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.