PDA

View Full Version : 20 greatest tearjerkers

gypsysoul
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
A tv channel in England recently ran a list of 100 greatest tearjerkers. Here is the top 20. How many make you blub?

Or what would you put on the list?

20 - Dead Poets Society

Robin Williams avoids his trademark tics and tremors to deliver a convincing performance as an inspirational English teacher in a conservative American boys school. Ethan Hawke and Robert Sean Leonard are the students who start to appreciate poetry as a result. Unfortunately, the parents object to Robin’s liberal ways and it’s left to the pupils to stage a moving protest when he gets the sack.

19 - Sophie’s Choice

Based on William Styron’s bestseller, this is a thoroughly successful adaptation. Meryl Streep turns in the performance of a lifetime as Sophie, the Polish survivor of a Nazi concentration camp stranded in suburban, post-war New York. Her big secret is slowly revealed over several long summer days to young aspiring writer (and the film’s narrator) Peter MacNicol. When the revelation comes, it is truly heartbreaking

18 - Brief Encounter

David Lean breaks out the stiff upper lips for his restrained, yet emotionally charged, examination of forbidden passions in 1940s England. After a chance meeting at a suburban railway station, Trevor Howard and housewife Celia Johnson embark on a remarkably chaste, yet overwhelmingly passionate, affair. After numerous meetings and much soul-searching, the tears start to flow when the couple see each other for one last time in a railway tearoom.

17 - Stand By Me

Touching, high-quality drama about a bunch of kids who discover the meaning of friendship in 1950s America - whilst on an adventure to find the body of a dead boy. Based on a Stephen King story and directed by Rob Reiner, Stand By Me is the definitive coming-of-age drama and features a wonderful performance from a very young River Phoenix. Phoenix delivers such a heartbreaking story about his abusive father in one scene that you’ll find yourself crying along with him.

16 - Terms Of Endearment

Showered with praise, laden with Oscars, this hugely successful tearjerker boasts some magnificent on-screen chemistry between Jack Nicholson and Shirley MacLaine. Although the story focuses on the fraught relationship between MacLaine and her daughter Debra Winger, it’s retired-astronaut-next-door Nicholson who brought cinema audiences flocking. Terms Of Endearment also features one of the most moving ever deathbed scenes, when Winger explains to her son that she isn’t going to be around forever.

15 - Watership Down

A beautifully animated version of Richard Adams’ classic tale of rabbits and men, Watership Down follows the trials of a group of rabbits who must abandon their doomed warren and find a new home. Although it looks cute, the film has more than its fair share of bunny peril and violence, and is more than a little upsetting. You’ll be choking back the sobs when Hazel is shot, and his little brother Fiver has a dreamlike vision of him to the sound of Garfunkel’s Bright Eyes.

14 - Gone With The Wind

The definitive Technicolor romantic epic. Rhett, Scarlett, burning sets and a whole slew of nostalgic and/or reactionary values, this is creator-producer David O Selznick’s finest hour and a cornerstone of the Hollywood monolith. Winner of 10 Oscars, hugely successful at the box office and containing one of the most quoted lines in the history of the movies, Gone With The Wind is the stuff of film legend. Vivien Leigh and Clarke Gable spend the whole of the American civil war falling in and out of love, before he finally leaves her in one of cinema’s saddest and most famous moments. Frankly my dear, he just didn’t give a damn.

13 - Blackadder

Blackadder had been one of Britain’s most successful ever comedies, but its final series set during the First World War managed to elicit genuine affection from the audience. Rowan Atkinson’s Captain Blackadder fails in his quest to get out of the trenches and is sent ‘over the top’ in the last ever episode. This grim image, the frame frozen which then dissolves into one depicting the same field now full of poppies, memorably ended the series on a note of dark satire.

12 - Beaches

Gary Marshall’s 1980s chick flick is as shamelessly entertaining as it is mushy. Two girls, one a privileged rich kid, one from the wrong side of the tracks, forge a lifelong friendship one summer, fall out and make up endlessly until the inevitable disease-of-the-week plot happens along. The tears will be welling up when the two friends sit on the beach for the last time together to the strains of Wind Beneath My Wings.

11 - Forrest Gump Tom Hanks is the heroic dunce living through America’s recent history in Robert Zemeckis’ multi-Oscar winning comedy-drama. Top-notch performances and some impressive visual trickery contribute to one of the populist triumphs of the 90s. Hanks fills the timid, innocent Gump with such sentimental energy, that you can’t help but celebrate his triumphs and cry at his falls, especially when his beloved Jenny decides to leave him heartbroken

10 - My Girl

Growing up sure is hard to do, as post-Home Alone Macaulay Culkin discovers in this adolescent drama about a girl (Anna Chlumsky) who is obsessed with death, owing to her mother’s death and her dad’s funeral parlour business. She finds a friend in the form of allergy-riddled Culkin. Sadly, the pair don’t get beyond a first kiss before Culkin is stung to death by bees. It’s a tough old world out there.

9 - Field Of Dreams

If you build it, he will come. Weepy baseball fable with supernatural overtones starring Kevin Costner (who else?) as a farmer who builds a baseball pitch out in his corn fields to help the ghosts of the disgraced 1919 White Sox team find peace. Field Of Dreams is that rare thing, a poignant movie, which manages to drain the tear ducts, without ever resorting to cheap manipulation or clich餠sentiment. So genuine, you can’t help but be moved when Costner’s dead father emerges from the corn for an impromptu game of catch.

8 - The Champ

John Voight is an ageing boxer whose young son calls him ‘The Champ’ in one of the saddest of all sports movies. When his ex-wife, fashion designer Faye Dunaway, comes to claim the boy, Voight takes on a fight to justify the boy’s confidence in him. The crushing dignity of the film’s final scenes ensures there isn’t a dry eye in the house when The Champ reaches the final round.

7 - The Shawshank Redemption

It’s hard to believe that The Shawshank Redemption was ignored by both audiences and the Oscars on its cinema release, when you consider how popular it has now become. Much like Tim Robbins’ character Andy Dufresne, the inspirational movie’s warmth shines out. His touching relationship with fellow inmate Morgan Freeman only increases its emotional punch. Scenes like the one in which Robbins plays classical music to the rest of the prison, and when he is reunited with Freeman outside the prison, are some of the most moving in cinema.

6 - Bambi

Disney’s iconic fable about a year in the life of a fawn may have been made for kids, but that doesn’t mean it pulls any punches in telling children how life is. Birth, death and man’s inhumanity to animals are all present on screen as the young deer tries to survive in the forest. The moment that has traumatised millions of children, and adults, around the world comes after a forest fire, when Bambi realises his mummy isn’t coming back.

5 - Ghost

Heaven can wait for Patrick Swayze in this supernatural love story starring Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg. When Swayze is murdered in a street robbery, his spirit is unable to rest and he returns to find out who was responsible for his untimely death. A perfect balance of laughter and tears, Ghost’s most moving moment comes when Demi Moore finally says goodbye to her true love and he ascends to heaven. Another reason to cry about Ghost is that pants pop song ‘Unchained Melody’.

4 - It’s A Wonderful Life

A perennial Christmas favourite, Frank Capra’s classic heart-warmer is actually much darker than many people fondly remember. James Stewart’s Everyman character may eventually realise that life is wonderful, but he reaches the brink of suicide to do so. The magic of Bedford Falls, a throwback to small-town Americana that probably never existed, is revealed in all its uplifting glory in the final scene when George is reunited with his family, and showered with the much-needed money from his friends.

3 - Titanic

The ultimate blockbuster weepy, James Cameron’s disaster movie focuses on the unsinkable love between Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, but it’s the ship that steals the show. Such is the power of Cameron’s special effects-driven recreation of the fate of the Titanic and its passengers that you can’t help but get swept away by it. The Academy and millions of teenage girls around the world wept as Leo finally sank beneath the waves into the freezing ocean.

2 - The Green Mile

Following The Shawshank Redemption, director Frank Darabont hooked up with writer Stephen King for another spiritual prison drama. Michael Clarke Duncan is the prisoner convicted of child murder, yet apparently capable of performing miracles, awaiting execution on the so-called Green Mile. Tom Hanks plays the prison guard who forms a bond with the gentle giant, and amongst the many moments that tug on the heartstrings, it’s the inexorable ending, as Duncan is strapped into the chair, which really opens the floodgates

1 - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

Before the likes of Independence Day and Evolution, there was a time when movie aliens were cute and only wanted to be our friends. Steven Spielberg brings all of his magic to this wondrous tale of a young boy called Elliot, who befriends an alien stranded on Earth. It’s up to Elliot to get E.T. home and keep him away from the government. The film’s central relationship is so touching, that you won’t be able to hold back the tears when the little guy finally returns to his spaceship

DrummerDeanna
04-09-2007, 05:15 PM
It's a Wonderful Life makes me cry every. single. year. Seriously. I adore that movie.

I've seen most of the movies on the list, Gone With the Wind has never made me cry though it is one of my favorites....My Girl? I weep like a little girl with a skinned knee...

GiniLeaE
04-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh My Gosh...they omitted that one! Lorenzo's Oil is based on the saddest story ever...The Odone's story is what my students look forward to seeing every semester when we study Genetic Diseases!

:wavey: Oh, and Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias is awfully sad too...as is Boys on the Side and Safe Passage! Hell, all Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker, Susan Sarandon, Sally Field and SHIRLEY MACLAINE movies are awesome! :laugh:

skcin
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Terms of Endearment. Every.Single.Time. I think I've cried during Beaches, Ghost & Titanic too.

I'd add Stepmom & Steel Magnolias. :o

Stew_Matthews
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
God what's all this with British people crying :shrug: I've been away too long!:)

Well none of those listed upset me, though had Kate Winslet drowned on the Titantic - I might have shed a few tears :) .

My favourite 'sad' film is 'The Pianist'. The part where he is hiding in the house and the German guard asks him to play and you think he's going to shoot Szpilman - it is heartbreaking. He plays Chopin 2nd Piano Concerto I think. Now that is sad!

SortaSavageLike
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
No Apollo 13? This list must have been made by a chick. :p

Beachwood Mac
04-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Not sure why but the movie Rudy gets me every time.

Serrart
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Some others of my favourite tearjackers:

Shadowlands
Umberto D
Au revoir Les Enfants
Incompreso by the great Luigi Comencini, who recently passed away
Waterloo Bridge
Carrington
The Hours
Farewell My Concubine
Silkwood
Million Dollar baby
La leggenda del santo bevitore
Daddy Nostalgie
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
The Secret Life of Words
The Fisher King
The Dawning
The Seventh Cross
Empire of the Sun
Schindler's list
Hanabi
The Deer Hunter
Trois couleurs: Bleu

... and many more...

Romy

michelle2677
04-09-2007, 07:52 PM
dead poet's society. every.single.time.

oh captain, my captain. Gah!

and it's a wonderful life, fo sho. it's not christmas until some angels get their wings.

steel magnolias for sure. I have never NOT cried during that movie. I say everytime..."o.k..not going to cry"...."wWAAAHHHHH!!!!!" :lol:

most of those I have never seen. beaches-meh. I saw it. didnt' really get into it. it was.."ok"

I have to say-Shawshank redemption is my second favorite movie (even though I've never cried watching it) and DPS is my third :lol:

DrummerDeanna
04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
^^

Oh yeah, Steel Magnolias...gets me every time. I'm pretty sure that if you don't cry during it that you don't have a soul :p

And I agree with Paula..Stepmom gets me too.

Lets see...other than that? LaBamba makes me cry...man when his mom breaks down, "NOT RITCHIE..NOT MY RITCHIE" I just lose it :laugh:

estranged4life
04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
9 - Field Of Dreams (Greatest baseball movie ever!)

5 - Ghost (The summer of its release I was a student in Tulsa living across I-244 from the Admiral Twin Drive-In, A real drive-in theatre shown in the movie adaptation of S.E. Hinton's "The Outsider". That summer that movie was shown nightly, so for about 4 months in a row I could watch that movie minus the dialog unless I could catch the theatre's frequency, which rarely happened. I know the scenes, but never bothered to watch it to learn the dialog.)

2 - The Green Mile (Great movie that I cannot watch anymore, I'm easily made tearful if I do.)

michelle2677
04-09-2007, 08:27 PM
^^

Oh yeah, Steel Magnolias...gets me every time. I'm pretty sure that if you don't cry during it that you don't have a soul :p

True dat sista!!! true dat!

I'm so happy my soul is intact :blob1: :blob1: :lol: :lol:

BlackWidow
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Um...LOVE STORY for $100

ryan8472
04-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh My Gosh...they omitted that one! Lorenzo's Oil is based on the saddest story ever...The Odone's story is what my students look forward to seeing every semester when we study Genetic Diseases!

omg...we watched that movie in 8th grade science class, before Christmas break! Afterwards, with no expression, my teacher said "Ok kids, have a very happy holiday!" :lol:

Stew_Matthews
04-09-2007, 09:00 PM
........Steel Magnolias.........err.........:confused:

Michelle, Deanna - two intelligent women - and you choose that film?!

Well I really must be a Neanthertal from the other side of the world!!:nod:

Stew

BlackWidow
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Stew

You better go run and hide. He is in the U.S. now ladies!!!!:lol:

BTFLCHLD
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
-0-

dog fight
ethan frome
big street
untamed heart hehe

michelle2677
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Stew

must be :shrug: or as deanna said. you don't have a soul :wavey:

BlackWidow
04-09-2007, 09:24 PM

exactly chelley..no soul..yea...:laugh:

Stew_Matthews
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
exactly chelley..no soul..yea...:laugh:

......and you'd know about that:rolleyes:

Stew_Matthews
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM

........well it must be something to do with my British genes cos I just don't get it at all :laugh: ! I remember Julia Roberts :) but the rest were just depressing :sorry:

.........I'll just have to try and be a better person in future:laugh:

Stew

michelle2677
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
........well it must be something to do with my British genes cos I just don't get it at all :laugh: ! I remember Julia Roberts :) but the rest were just depressing :sorry:

Stew

well, no ****. hence the crying :rolleyes: :p

its sally field. that bitch is fierce when julia dies. right after the funeral. GOD damn....when they are following her?? and she freaks out?? does that ring a bell?? did that make you tear up??

if not...you need to get andre to start weaving your ass a handbasket. cuz you're going to hell :lol:

Stew_Matthews
04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

its sally field. that bitch is fierce when julia dies. right after the funeral. GOD damn....when they are following her?? and she freaks out?? does that ring a bell?? did that make you tear up??

if not...you need to get andre to start weaving your ass a handbasket. cuz you're going to hell :lol:

Well of course I remember it.......but at the risk of digging an even bigger hole.......I didn't think it was terribly well acted. But maybe I just missed the point of it :confused: . I'll get a copy of the film this week and if you get hold of 'The Pianist', we can discuss the relative merits of both films.

Stew

BlackWidow
04-09-2007, 09:48 PM

no....hell no. off to hell I say!:rolleyes:

GiniLeaE
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
<center> omg...we watched that movie in 8th grade science class, before Christmas break! Afterwards, with no expression, my teacher said "Ok kids, have a very happy holiday!" :lol:

Yup, I pulled that **** on my kids before SPRING BREAK and EASTER...they did compare it to the resurrection of Christ (which from what I read is what the director intended...) after he is crucified (Lorenzo being the Christ child of course!). I teach them Competitive Inhibition and how to complete a pedigree (I actually use the royal family more than the movie...Queen Victoria and her incestuous family that is!) BUT they always remember the movie through the years...:laugh:

GGGEEEEZZZZUUUSSS...that scene makes me cry the fugly cry! Then leave it to good ole' Shirley Mac to bring me around...I'll never forget watching this for the first time. My best friend thought I was having a seizure...:rolleyes: </center>

michelle2677
04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Well of course I remember it.......but at the risk of digging an even bigger hole.......I didn't think it was terribly well acted. But maybe I just missed the point of it :confused: . I'll get a copy of the film this week and if you get hold of 'The Pianist', we can discuss the relative merits of both films.

Stew

you're kidding me, right? there are a few things I know will make me cry instantly-that scene is one of them. but you go get your copy. and if after you watch it, your opinion is unchanged...you better go ahead and get dre's digits :p

I'll watch 'The Pianist', but if you think you're going to win, you're wrong!! :lol: ;)

Für Elise
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
philadelphia always made me cry.
dead poets of course and also bloody sunday.

catinthedark
04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
oh, god. life is beautiful. convulsive sobbing.

the english patient. when he's carrying her body across the desert? oh, the pain... can't stand it.

babel. just saw it this weekend. one of the best movies i've ever seen. i'm a sucker for the heart-wrenchers.

Red
04-10-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm not a big cryer when it comes to sad movies, so the few that have made me bust a tear or two stick out in my mind:

Babel - the scene with Brad and Cate where he kisses her. Man, THAT's love.

Brokeback Mountain - "Jack, I swear". Uncontrollable sobbing.

A Beautiful Life - I typically avoid WW2 movies as I just can't seem to get ahold of myself when I watch them and this is a biggee. Particularly when the little boy, who looks alarmingly like my nephew, comes out of his hiding place and there's that wide shot of him all alone.

Titanic - No tears when Jack bites it but I always lose it at the final scene - the smooch on the stairs and everyone claps, knowing this is Rose's final dream before she passes away.

...and I know this doesn't really count b/c it's tv, but the last 5 minutes of Six Feet Under. That has haunted me and I burst into tears every time I see it.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-10-2007, 04:12 AM
...My Girl? I weep like a little girl with a skinned knee...

Oh god... the first time I saw that was at the cinema and I had no clue it was going to be sad! So I had no tissues! Was a nightmare.. always worse when you're trying not to cry! And then a woman a few rows in front of me sobbed out loud.. so I didn't feel quite so bad! :lol:

I pretty much blub at anything... sad or happy. I'm such a cry baby!

I have to say Blackadder never made me cry! I bawled like a baby at Terms of Endearment, Beaches and The Champ.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-10-2007, 04:13 AM
I'd add Stepmom & Steel Magnolias. :o

:nod: I cry everytime I watch those! Notting Hill always makes me cry at the end because it's so sweet! :rolleyes:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-10-2007, 04:16 AM

Stew

Hehe... one of my fave films too! And I cry everytime I watch it! But don't think any less of me.. :p I watched it with my 10 year odl daughter the other day... her first time watching it. And I'm happy to report she blubbed too! ;)

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Stew

Nothing to do with being British... must be a man thing! ;)

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-10-2007, 04:19 AM
the english patient. when he's carrying her body across the desert? oh, the pain... can't stand it.

:nod: Very sad... predictibly I bawled!

Richard B
04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
These make me cry, hard:

Dear Frankie
Keys To The House
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself
Dangerous Minds
The Fisher King

Richard B
04-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I should add Dancer In The Dark. The moment you realize she is going blind, my tears begin.

The first time I saw this movie it took me a week to finish as I just couldn't take it, it made me feel so sad and yes, the tears would flow. I really can never watch this film again. It's so damn tragic.

sara1998
04-10-2007, 10:38 AM

OH God... I can hardly stand it... I cry like such a baby, and I know it's coming... I've watched it so many damn times, and I can nearly act it out with her.

hehe... Andre weaving him a handbasket.... cold soul going to hell.... :lol:

Sorry... just messing with ya...

skcin
04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I forgot Mask with Cher. "Now you can go anywhere you want baby." Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! :distress:

CelticGypsy
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I loved The Notebook. I love Robert Redford so any movie where he dies makes me reach for the Kleenex. The Great Gatsby is one of them. A Beautiful Life is another movie that got to me. Even, my hubby who never cries was moved by that movie.

shackin'up
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
fischer king
a perfect world
babe (:nod: :o )
dead poets society
field of dreams
breaking the waves

...and a interviewvideo about the career of Marco Van Basten. Crying because of the beauty of his goals and the end of his career when even Fabio Capello bursts into tears when Marco says goodbye to a packed San Siro.

skcin
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
^ I forgot about Babe. "I want my mom." :distress:

GypsySorcerer
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I definitely agree with "It's a Wonderful Life." The part that gets me is Harry's toast to George - "To my brother, the richest man in town." My eyes are welling up just thinking about it. :o :laugh:

Others, scenes included (spoilers):

Field of Dreams: "Dad, wanna have a catch?"
Sling Blade: Karl says goodbye to the boy
The Hours: Ed Harris' character's suicide; Virgina Woolf lays down by the dead bird
Saving Private Ryan: Yes, I know Speilberg is manipulating us, but the death of Giovanni Ribisi's character gets me. "I want my mother." :(
Dead Man Walking - end
American Beauty - end sequence with Lester's narration

Many, many more...

michelle2677
04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
OH God... I can hardly stand it... I cry like such a baby, and I know it's coming... I've watched it so many damn times, and I can nearly act it out with her.

hehe... Andre weaving him a handbasket.... cold soul going to hell.... :lol:

Sorry... just messing with ya...
omg. I know. dude. like-you can totally see her going off the deep end and you know that's how you would probably react. Or at least I would. It's not really when she's sad-it's when she gets mad "no!! NO! it wasn't supposed to happen this way!!" etc. those are the parts that always get me :( :(

I loved The Notebook. I love Robert Redford so any movie where he dies makes me reach for the Kleenex. The Great Gatsby is one of them. A Beautiful Life is another movie that got to me. Even, my hubby who never cries was moved by that movie.

oh yeah. I forgot about the notebook too. I didn't cry at the end. It was a little bittersweet. the part I cry on is right after she gets in the fight with her parents and he leaves. She goes out to the truck and they break up. Just-her. When she flips out, slaps him, and then realizes they are really breaking up. GOD. It also gets me after the boat ride. "it STILL isn't over!!!!" :shocked: :shocked: but those are usually happy tears :laugh:

irishgrl
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
here are some of my faves:

Eight Below
Seventh Sign
Somewhere in Time (oldie with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour)
Dead Man Walking
To Sir With Love
Born Free

hmmmm guess I dont have too many tear jerkers :lol:

Mari
04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm not British (anglophile though) but I don't get a lot of these either!

Although... Awakenings, that one springs to mind..

DrummerDeanna
04-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Hehe... one of my fave films too! And I cry everytime I watch it! But don't think any less of me.. :p I watched it with my 10 year odl daughter the other day... her first time watching it. And I'm happy to report she blubbed too! ;)

Sweet!! Gotta start 'em young :lol: I was actually 9 when I first saw it (the year it came out I believe) and I loved it from day one.

And now? I can damn well talk along with the movie, but it makes me cry every. time.

And Stew - don't be knocking Steel Magnolias!! Beyond being a chick flick (and it totally is) it's very funny...and touching..and it's just basically the best movie ever :p

SuzeQuze
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
'night Mother with Sissy Spacek is the saddest movie ever. http://imdb.com/title/tt0090556/

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Sweet!! Gotta start 'em young :lol: I was actually 9 when I first saw it (the year it came out I believe) and I loved it from day one.

And now? I can damn well talk along with the movie, but it makes me cry every. time.

And Stew - don't be knocking Steel Magnolias!! Beyond being a chick flick (and it totally is) it's very funny...and touching..and it's just basically the best movie ever :p

Make me feel old! I was 19 when it came out!

goldustsongbird
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised that The Notebook wasn't on this list. It seems to turn up on every other one. I didn't even like it, let alone cry at it. :shrug:

Suze! 'Nite Mother is so good.

I can't think of any movies that really make me cry. Unless you want to count Land Before Time. :lol: I'm a big mess during that. Shut up, it's sad! You don't feel sorry for Littlefoot? Poor little dino without his mommy. The Lion King makes me cry, too. Go figure, I bawl at cartoon characters, but give me real people and I've got a heart of stone.

foxyluva
04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I can't think of any movies that really make me cry. Unless you want to count Land Before Time. :lol: I'm a big mess during that. Shut up, it's sad! You don't feel sorry for Littlefoot? Poor little dino without his mommy. The Lion King makes me cry, too. Go figure, I bawl at cartoon characters, but give me real people and I've got a heart of stone.

I have wanted to kill Littlefoot on several different occasions

goldustsongbird
04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I have wanted to kill Littlefoot on several different occasions

You're heartless! I wanted to kill Cera, that little bitch.

foxyluva
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
You're heartless! I wanted to kill Cera, that little bitch.

Hes a whiny little bitch. And I love Cera - she reminds me of me :laugh:

goldustsongbird
04-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Hes a whiny little bitch. And I love Cera - she reminds me of me :laugh:

y u so mean :( He's so cute and pathetic. Awww. I just wish they hadn't gone and made 300 sequels about them going here, there, and to the moon. :rolleyes: Are you against Lion King, too?

foxyluva
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
y u so mean :( He's so cute and pathetic. Awww. I just wish they hadn't gone and made 300 sequels about them going here, there, and to the moon. :rolleyes: Are you against Lion King, too?

:laugh:

No I love The Lion King - atleast it was quality. And the Elton John soundtrack is the best Disney Soundtrack ever...

goldustsongbird
04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
:laugh:

No I love The Lion King - atleast it was quality. And the Elton John soundtrack is the best Disney Soundtrack ever...

Good. I was afraid we'd have to end this friendship right here if you dissed LK. I'd throw you off a cliff into a herd of... whatever those were. :lol: I don't even remember.

foxyluva
04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Good. I was afraid we'd have to end this friendship right here if you dissed LK. I'd throw you off a cliff into a herd of... whatever those were. :lol: I don't even remember.

Frightened gazelle? :laugh:

goldustsongbird
04-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Frightened gazelle? :laugh:

Gazelle! Yeah. I was going to say buffalo. :o

foxyluva
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Gazelle! Yeah. I was going to say buffalo. :o

Close enough - I have no idea if they were actually gazelle, I just pulled the name out of nowhere :D

shackin'up
04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not British (anglophile though) but I don't get a lot of these either!

Although... Awakenings, that one springs to mind..

AHH...add that one to my list too.

Villavic
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
17 - Stand By Me - I loved it but was far from crying.
14 - Gone With The Wind - I was like 13 when I watch it for 1st time, I almost cried.
11 - Forrest Gump - I liked it but was far from crying.
6 - Bambi - I was to child. I don't remember if I cried
5 - Ghost - No way I'd cry
3 - Titanic - I almost cried.
1 - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - I almost cried.

Ok, I can't believe it's not the saddest movie (and a very very good one) I've ever seen, and I really cried when John Merrick screamed:

I'M NOT AN ANIMAL!!! I'M NOT AN ELEPHANT!! I'M A MAAAAN!!!!!

Now THAT's a gret movie: THE ELEPHANT MAN. And if you are sensible it really touches you. One of the greatest movie I've ever seen. They should have given the Oscar.

Richard B
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok, I can't believe it's not the saddest movie (and a very very good one) I've ever seen, and I really cried when John Merrick screamed:

I'M NOT AN ANIMAL!!! I'M NOT AN ELEPHANT!! I'M A MAAAAN!!!!!

Now THAT's a gret movie: THE ELEPHANT MAN. And if you are sensible it really touches you. One of the greatest movie I've ever seen. They should have given the Oscar.

Yes, a true tear jerker and one of the most accessible films by David Lynch.

Stew_Matthews
10-14-2007, 03:31 PM
..........for those who missed it before we went back in time........I feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek:nod: - I'm sure I said I'd watched the film Atonement and thought it was one of the saddest films that I'd seen in a long while. Keira Knightley was really good and it is a great film but be warned, you'll be crying!

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-14-2007, 03:38 PM
..........for those who missed it before we went back in time........I feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek:nod: - I'm sure I said I'd watched the film Atonement and thought it was one of the saddest films that I'd seen in a long while. Keira Knightley was really good and it is a great film but be warned, you'll be crying!

I love a good tearjerker... I'll have to get this one..

Stew_Matthews
10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I love a good tearjerker... I'll have to get this one..

Yes do - very sad but much better than that Steel Magnolias film that you encouraged me to watch.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes do - very sad but much better than that Steel Magnolias film that you encouraged me to watch.

Oooh... we'll see about that! :o

michelle2677
10-14-2007, 04:21 PM
oh my god.

I remember this thread, and posting in it, but i thought it was another one on the same thing. So of course I was gonna post the exact same thing I did last time :laugh: but when I scrolled down and realized I had already posted, I was all "wtf?"

so again. dead poet's society-yes.
steel magnolias-double yes.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
oh my god.

I remember this thread, and posting in it, but i thought it was another one on the same thing. So of course I was gonna post the exact same thing I did last time :laugh: but when I scrolled down and realized I had already posted, I was all "wtf?"

steel magnolias-double yes.

Love your sig... hehe

Stew_Matthews
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Love your sig... hehe

I decided to say nothing............:laugh:

michelle2677
10-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Love your sig... hehe
lmao thanks. i got that in an email from a patient the other day haha

I decided to say nothing............:laugh:

good move :laugh: :p

David
10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Did you ever see the movie about the little boy with the acquired immune deficiency syndrome virus? His pal, played by Brad Renfro, finds companionship & a familial sense of belonging.

http://www.astrographics.com/GalleryPrints/Display/GP1429.jpg

suzyvermoesen
10-15-2007, 06:03 AM
The biggest tear-jerker i've ever seen was a Greek movie called "Iphigenia" by director Micael Cacoyannis and starring Irene Papas.
It's the story of Agamemnon who believes that by offering his only daughter, Iphigenia ,to the gods, the winds will turn and his ships will be able to sail and go to war. The part where Clytemnestra (a fenomenal Irene Pappas) beggs her husband not to sacrifice their daughter is heartwrenching and left me crying my eyes out in a way that i did not even bother anymore to use my hanky cause it was no use anyway. I left the theater with no make-up left on my face whatsoever.
I've seen it was released on dvd this year, but only for the american market.:(

suzy

danax6
10-15-2007, 09:09 AM
oh my god.

steel magnolias-double yes.I posted in this thread a few days ago and my post is gone. :mad:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I posted in this thread a few days ago and my post is gone. :mad:

The board died and some posts were lost

danax6
10-15-2007, 09:52 AM
The board died and some posts were lostI know. I was sorta kidding with my :mad: face. :p

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
I know. I was sorta kidding with my :mad: face. :p

Haha... went over my head! :lol: