PDA

View Full Version : Wynonna Judd files for divorce after husband's arrest on sex charges

gldstwmn
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/27/wynonna.judd.ap/index.html

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Country music star Wynonna Judd said she filed for divorce Tuesday from her estranged husband, Dan R. Roach, after his arrest last week in Texas on sex charges involving a minor.

Roach, 49, was arrested Thursday in Abilene and charged with three counts of aggravated sexual battery against a child younger than 13 in Nashville, police said.

He was expected to be extradited to Nashville, said police spokesman Don Aaron. It wasn't known if he had an attorney.

"I am obviously devastated," the 42-year-old country singer said in a statement on her Web site.

"Our family will pull together, begin the healing process and hopefully -- by the Grace of God -- become stronger. We will move forward with our faith, family and our friends to find resolution to this difficult situation."

Aaron said an investigation by the department's sex crimes unit started in February.

Judd cited irreconcilable differences as a reason for divorce in the complaint filed in the Nashville suburb of Williamson County.

The couple, who were married in November 2003, have been separated since February 18, according to the complaint.

Roach had been receiving treatment for drug and alcohol addiction at a rehabilitation clinic in Buffalo Gap, Texas, Judd said.

The couple have no children. Judd has children from a previous marriage.

Judd has sold nearly 30 million albums as a solo artist. She sang with her mother, Naomi Judd, as the duo The Judds. Her solo hits include "No One Else on Earth" and "I Saw the Light."

Her sister is actress Ashley Judd.

BTFLCHLD
03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/27/wynonna.judd.ap/index.html :shocked: wow. what does it mean "aggravated sexual battery?"

irishgrl
03-27-2007, 08:57 PM
poor girlie....she seems like such a down to earth gal, I hope she finds happiness :nod:

gldstwmn
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
:shocked: wow. what does it mean "aggravated sexual battery?"

I'm not exactly sure if he confessed to something that happened prior to going in to rehab or this happened while he was there. It's unlikely there would be adults with minors in a rehab. I guess anything's possible though.

gldstwmn
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
poor girlie....she seems like such a down to earth gal, I hope she finds happiness :nod:

I know. She deserves better than this. I kind of remember seeing snippets of their wedding on television. I think they got married at the Judd family homestead in Tennessee.

gldstwmn
03-27-2007, 09:02 PM
[url]Roach, 49, was arrested Thursday in Abilene and charged with three counts of aggravated sexual battery against a child younger than 13 in Nashville, police said.

I guess this happened before rehab. :distress:

BTFLCHLD
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Aggravated sexual assault means a sexual assault that is accompanied by factors or circumstances that enhance the seriousness of the crime. When these factors are proven to exist beyond a reasonable doubt, the perpetrator will receive a greater sentence.

The factors vary from state to state, but there are many of them, including:

You were armed with or discharged a firearm during the assault or possessed, displayed or threatened to use some other kind of deadly weapon
You threatened or endangered the life of the victim
The victim was physically handicapped, severely mentally retarded or over the age of 60
You gave the victim drugs without his or her consent
You committed the sexual assault during the commission or attempted commission of another felony
You are under 17 and the victim is under 9 years of age or between 9 and 13 and you used force.
Depending on which of the above factors apply, the court may add 10, 15, 20 or 25 years to the punishment it would have imposed for a non-aggravated sexual assault. If you are convicted of aggravated sexual assault and have previously been convicted of a sexual assault, the court can impose a life sentence.

gldstwmn
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Aggravated sexual assault means a sexual assault that is accompanied by factors or circumstances that enhance the seriousness of the crime. When these factors are proven to exist beyond a reasonable doubt, the perpetrator will receive a greater sentence.

The factors vary from state to state, but there are many of them, including:

You were armed with or discharged a firearm during the assault or possessed, displayed or threatened to use some other kind of deadly weapon
You threatened or endangered the life of the victim
The victim was physically handicapped, severely mentally retarded or over the age of 60
You gave the victim drugs without his or her consent
You committed the sexual assault during the commission or attempted commission of another felony
You are under 17 and the victim is under 9 years of age or between 9 and 13 and you used force.
Depending on which of the above factors apply, the court may add 10, 15, 20 or 25 years to the punishment it would have imposed for a non-aggravated sexual assault. If you are convicted of aggravated sexual assault and have previously been convicted of a sexual assault, the court can impose a life sentence.

Jesus H. Christ. What the hell did this guy do? And to whom? Although we'll never know that because it involves a minor.
On edit: Wynonna's son is 12 and her duaghter is 11.

irishgrl
03-28-2007, 06:14 AM
*sigh* this topic is touchy for me (old-timers know why) so its hard for me to be humane toward sex offenders, but that man needs some sort of help. Im not saying I think he can be cured, because I firmly believe this is something that is ingrained in their personalities, and cant be cured, only managed. However, he certainly needs to come to terms with the fact that he has a problem, and maybe this will be his wake up call and he wont abuse anyone else.

strandinthewind
03-28-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm not exactly sure if he confessed to something that happened prior to going in to rehab or this happened while he was there. It's unlikely there would be adults with minors in a rehab. I guess anything's possible though.

The facts remain to be seen. It could be a false accusation for all we know. After all, WJ has lots of money :shrug:

So, I hold judgement until the facts are revealed.

irishgrl
03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
its been my experience that the "facts" as presented in the courtroom are nowhere NEAR as reliable as the "facts" that come from a police report. I know from my previous connections with law/legal issues that police officers get very frustrated with what happens to their meticulous work once it gets into the hands of adversarial lawyers....just an observation. All Im saying is, I trust that there was plenty of something happening for an arrest to have been made. If the DA files charges, thats enuff for me...

Für Elise
03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
its been my experience that the "facts" as presented in the courtroom are nowhere NEAR as reliable as the "facts" that come from a police report. I know from my previous connections with law/legal issues that police officers get very frustrated with what happens to their meticulous work once it gets into the hands of adversarial lawyers....just an observation. All Im saying is, I trust that there was plenty of something happening for an arrest to have been made. If the DA files charges, thats enuff for me...
ha, sorry. why have a legal system at all just send them behind bars without trial then. i think the court case happens for a reason