PDA

View Full Version : Discuss Oh Well

DavidMn
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, I'm going to try my hand at this. Forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge, but what do I need to know when I hear the line DONT ASK ME WHAT I THInK OF YOU, I MIGHT NOT GIVE THE ANSWER YOU WANT ME TO. Without a doubt probably one of the best if not the best song ever to come out of Fleetwood Mac! Never gets old, Never.:cool:

BTFLCHLD
02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge, but what do I need to know when I hear the line DONT ASK ME WHAT I THInK OF YOU, I MIGHT NOT GIVE THE ANSWER YOU WANT ME TO. What is technical about that line, David? I guess I am not understanding your question. I posted a vid for OhWell earlier today in the "what ru listening to" thread. I really enjoy this song too.

chiliD
02-28-2007, 11:47 AM
To me, the song isn't just the best Fleetwood Mac song of all-time, it's the best song (bar none) of all-time.

Listen to Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog"...how much of an inspiration was "Oh Well" in the creation of that song? :shocked: Quite a bit, it appears.

BTFLCHLD
02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Hope you guys don't mind...I am posting the video here...so I can have handy... :thumbsup:

<object width="160" height="160"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YVT4GTncmM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YVT4GTncmM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="160" height="160"></embed></object>

DavidMn
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
What is technical about that line, David? I guess I am not understanding your question. I posted a vid for OhWell earlier today in the "what ru listening to" thread. I really enjoy this song too.No what I meant was I have a hard time explaining the technical side of a song. I'm just not too good at it

BTFLCHLD
02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
No what I meant was I have a hard time explaining the technical side of a song. I'm just not too good at it gotcha :thumbsup:
yeah...'don’t ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer you want me to' :lol:

robm
03-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Technical:shrug:
I believe the line was in reference to him replacing Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers...and peoples comments regarding Peter's abilities as said replacement..."Clapton is God" was in vogue during this period of british blues...so "replacing" "God", as Peter did, probably stired the pot so to speak, and this was how Peter felt about the whole thing...correct me if I'm wrong...

doodyhead
03-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Ok, I'm going to try my hand at this. Forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge, but what do I need to know when I hear the line DONT ASK ME WHAT I THInK OF YOU, I MIGHT NOT GIVE THE ANSWER YOU WANT ME TO. Without a doubt probably one of the best if not the best song ever to come out of Fleetwood Mac! Never gets old, Never.:cool:

How about this

without reference to Clapton or the green god, to me the statement is simple

Honesty. Most people if they really thought of it know their own faults, foibles, assets and quirks. Its easy for someone to criticize someone else, isnt it? We do it all the time. We know what we mean when we think or talk. Does anyone else understand us? What do they hear?

first statement
I can tell you about the shape Im In, Icant sing, I ant pretty and my legs are thin,
self assessmnt
second statement. If this is what I think of myself what would you expect me to say about you?
but dont ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.
second line. only god knows what is in our hearts and can lead us

here is peters dilemna with being a band leader. He did not want to be the last word or the answer for others. If you read what he had said to many a fan after that time and of his accounts of jam sessions where everyone diferred to him, this statemet makes complete sense

When I talk to god i know he understands, he says sit by me and I'l be your guiding hand,
but dont ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.

doodyhead

librax2
03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
How about this

without reference to Clapton or the green god, to me the statement is simple

Honesty. Most people if they really thought of it know their own faults, foibles, assets and quirks. Its easy for someone to criticize someone else, isnt it? We do it all the time. We know what we mean when we think or talk. Does anyone else understand us? What do they hear?

first statement
I can tell you about the shape Im In, Icant sing, I ant pretty and my legs are thin,
self assessmnt
second statement. If this is what I think of myself what would you expect me to say about you?
second line. only god knows what is in our hearts and can lead us

here is peters dilemna with being a band leader. He did not want to be the last word or the answer for others. If you read what he had said to many a fan after that time and of his accounts of jam sessions where everyone diferred to him, this statemet makes complete sense

When I talk to god i know he understands, he says sit by me and I'l be your guiding hand,

doodyhead

Well said, doodyhead. I never quite followed the idea that Peter was getting god like when he penned those lines. Your interpretation seems more on the mark

zoork_1
03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Technical:shrug:
I believe the line was in reference to him replacing Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers...and peoples comments regarding Peter's abilities as said replacement..."Clapton is God" was in vogue during this period of british blues...so "replacing" "God", as Peter did, probably stired the pot so to speak, and this was how Peter felt about the whole thing...correct me if I'm wrong...

Sorry to ask about trivia, but when did PG replace Clapton, and when did FM release Oh Well?

//Zoork

michelle2677
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I do like the particular line mentioned in david's initial post, but for this song I prefer the guitar riffs, etc more than the lyrics themselves. Which is a HUGE feat for me :nod: great jam song, great-everything-about-it song :thumbsup:

chiliD
03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry to ask about trivia, but when did PG replace Clapton, and when did FM release Oh Well?

//Zoork

Peter replaced Clapton in '66 twice. First when Clapton left for his "Greek holiday", then when Clapton came back, Mayall took him back in (that was when they recorded the "Beano" album) and Peter was bounced out...then Clapton left again to co-found Cream. Peter once again joined on, the Hard Road album was recorded (along with many other tracks, too, hence an entire second CD of outtakes was recently released on the Deluxe Edition of the album). Peter stayed for about a year or so, then he formed Fleetwood Mac in 1967. "Oh Well" was recorded in 1969, released in 1970.

zoork_1
03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
"Peter replaced Clapton in '66 twice. First when Clapton left ...[...]"

Thanks for answering chiliD

//Zoork

sharksfan2000
03-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Peter replaced Clapton in '66 twice. First when Clapton left for his "Greek holiday", then when Clapton came back, Mayall took him back in (that was when they recorded the "Beano" album) and Peter was bounced out....Actually, the first time Peter Green replaced Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers was during '65, not in '66. During that time, apparently John Mayall tried out several replacements for Clapton, and Green was the last of these (and apparently the most satisfactory), but Green only played with the band for a very short time before Clapton returned from Greece.

kowk
02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
T
Listen to Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog"...how much of an inspiration was "Oh Well" in the creation of that song? :shocked: Quite a bit, it appears.

That's true. Here is a piece of an article from GuitarPlayer:

If there’s one Fleetwood Macera Peter Green riff you’ve gotta know, it’s the one from “Oh Well” (from Then Play On). How come? There are few honors in the music biz greater than having one of your songs provide the inspiration for another classic-rock standard, so dig this: According to John Paul Jones, who penned Led Zeppelin’s immortal “Black Dog” riff, the song was intentionally modeled after Green’s “Oh Well.” Jones, in a recent feature in the UK publication Record Collector, cited the song’s lengthy, low-register riff and quirkily timed vocal breaks as chief motivational factors. Admittedly, Green’s riff, the studio version of which begins with the growling, low-register syncopations notated in Ex. 9a played on nylon-string acoustic (!), is much longer. This four-bar call-and-response figure— echoed by Green’s overdriven Les Paul on the repeat—features nearly identical passages in bars 1 and 3, the only difference being the B versus Bb in the middle of beat two’s triplet. The song continues with Green and Kirwan matching each other’s phrasing note-for-note in different octaves on the pair of riffs shown in the first two bars of Ex. 9b, before concluding with another “Black Dog”-ish move as Green shifts the meter to 5/4, prefacing his own “B.D.”-like vocal breaks. Depending on which version you reference, G&K either play this measure in octaves, as in bar 3, or in harmony, when Green would replace the lower octave part with the one shown in Ex. 9c. Rock on and keep shakin’ it!

mzero
02-20-2013, 11:21 PM
That's true. Here is a piece of an article from GuitarPlayer:

If there’s one Fleetwood Macera Peter Green riff you’ve gotta know, it’s the one from “Oh Well” (from Then Play On). How come? There are few honors in the music biz greater than having one of your songs provide the inspiration for another classic-rock standard, so dig this: According to John Paul Jones, who penned Led Zeppelin’s immortal “Black Dog” riff, the song was intentionally modeled after Green’s “Oh Well.” Jones, in a recent feature in the UK publication Record Collector, cited the song’s lengthy, low-register riff and quirkily timed vocal breaks as chief motivational factors. Admittedly, Green’s riff, the studio version of which begins with the growling, low-register syncopations notated in Ex. 9a played on nylon-string acoustic (!), is much longer. This four-bar call-and-response figure— echoed by Green’s overdriven Les Paul on the repeat—features nearly identical passages in bars 1 and 3, the only difference being the B versus Bb in the middle of beat two’s triplet. The song continues with Green and Kirwan matching each other’s phrasing note-for-note in different octaves on the pair of riffs shown in the first two bars of Ex. 9b, before concluding with another “Black Dog”-ish move as Green shifts the meter to 5/4, prefacing his own “B.D.”-like vocal breaks. Depending on which version you reference, G&K either play this measure in octaves, as in bar 3, or in harmony, when Green would replace the lower octave part with the one shown in Ex. 9c. Rock on and keep shakin’ it!

thanks kowk. i hadn't seen a reference to this jpj interview, it sounds fantastic

jimmy page has also said similar things about oh well in 'light and shade' a book that came out in 2012. it is a series of interviews conducted over a number of years.

jp brings up the peter era fleetwood mac, i think, three or four times without being prompted - he's a big fan i gather. also mentions jeremy as well. i'll try and remember to scan those and post here.

z

LesPaul7
03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
I've always thought the droning riffs and chords Green plays under the solo are awesome. You can really hear them on a stereo version like the backing track for one of the BBC appearances (this is on that FM, the Early Years DVD). Not the actual version from the BBC CD though, that one has some weird stuff going on in the solo, overdubs?

slipkid
03-07-2013, 01:36 AM
This popular UK game panel show based on pop music really angered me after this past series (season in US). There was a completely stupid Fleetwood Mac or Lee Mack segment were the panelists had to guess if a certain story happened to FM or northern English comedian Lee Mack. One of the stories was a certain guy dressed up as Jesus, and told everyone he was resurrected!?!? The UK tabloid press can be very cruel. If that happened, FM isn't talking. Then there was the obvious pointing a shotgun at his agent.

THD
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM

I don't see that much similarity myself Only the unaccompnied vocal shout really . the Led Zep riff is a good riff, but like a million other riffs of the time(though played better!) - a sort of extended Rock Me Babe riff ? And not really like Peter's riff at all( to my ears anyway )Certainly the song, in general, is an an inspiration .

THD
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Sometimes people can read too much into lyrics (like art experts do to oil paintings I find )!

When Peter said "When I talk to God ..." did he mean :when I have a chat with Eric Clapton ...Er I don't think so !

But Peter was investigating Christianity at the time ,don't know if he actually converted, so to speak- he did start to wear a cross though .He and Jeremy (who was very religious and presumably still is ) were supposed to be working on a idea about an album about the life of Christ -( I heard Peter talk about it in a BBC radio interview at the time )- which would have pre -dated Jesus Christ Superstar ! Did Peter and Jeremy actually write any songs ?Did they actually record anything that has never seen the light of day ? Jeremy if your out there ................?