PDA

View Full Version : Danny Kirwan mention

SteveMacD
01-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Danny was listed as one of the 100 most overlooked guitarists in this month's Guitar Player. He was the only Mac guitarist on the list. It said at the end that he is only now starting to get his life back together.

What was odd, though, is Clarence White, or more specifically Clarence White's bluegrass playing, made the list, especially as the picture they used was of Clarence playing his Telecaster. I guess since I hang out in alt.country circles, Clarence ususally comes up when talking about guitarists.

doodyhead
01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
That is odd. Especially since Clarence is revered by so many. The trouble is that it is really hard to find Kentucky Colonel's records, let alone CDs. Martin seemed to have no trouble selling D-28s with his name on it, I bought one. What a magnificent guitar.
As for Danny, I think that it is great news that people remember him. I hope this gives him impetus to start playing again. He has a unique take on music.
Dragonfly is always among my favorite cuts.

vinnie c

chiliD
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Danny was listed as one of the 100 most overlooked guitarists in this month's Guitar Player.

Scooped me again :mad: :thumbsup: , I just read that article this morning and was going to post about it.

It's one of the first mentions of Danny I can recall seeing in GP, whereas there's rarely an issue that DOESN'T have a reference to Peter Green somewhere in its pages.

wondergirl9847
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Love to hear that he is getting his life back together, but that is so vague. I wonder how he is going about doing so? Is it too much to hope for a future interview with Danny? That would be amazing.

mzero
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
it said at the end that he is only now starting to get his life back together.

thanks very much steve for the news. i hope this is based on current info and that danny truly is doing well.

z

bretonbanquet
01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
It's great to see Danny get a bit of recognition :nod: I do occasionally see young musicians who cite him as an influence - a couple of people / bands on Myspace have contacted me about him, saying they love his music.

There's still no real word on how Danny is doing, and I'm sure that's the way he and his family want it. I am helping someone who is trying to find out more, so with some luck we might learn a thing or two, if it's possible - no promises though :)

dansven
01-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't think Danny has actually been followed much by tabloid photographers, which of course is good for him. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong ... I know it has been written many places that he's been followed by papparazzi photographers, and while this surely has happened a couple of times, I think the pressure must have been way higher on other "retired geniuses". I mean, the ONLY photo I've seen of him since "Hello There Big Boy" is the one from '93 (I think) ... long hair and wearing a coat.

How many photos (and even amateur video) have been published of for example Syd Barrett in recent years??

I hope Danny is well and happy, but I think a little info should be shared with his loyal fanbase! :nod:

Wouter Vuijk
01-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I hope Danny is well and happy, but I think a little info should be shared with his loyal fanbase! :nod:

RIGHT!!!:thumbsup:

DavidMn
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
It's great to see Danny get a bit of recognition :nod: I do occasionally see young musicians who cite him as an influence - a couple of people / bands on Myspace have contacted me about him, saying they love his music.

There's still no real word on how Danny is doing, and I'm sure that's the way he and his family want it. I am helping someone who is trying to find out more, so with some luck we might learn a thing or two, if it's possible - no promises though :)Good luck. I'll be interested in hearing what you find out.

becca
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
It is great to have Peter and Jeremy back as it were and it would be perfedct to have Danny back too. Some people do get better with age (or so I try to convince myself), and things which were big obstacles or sticking points when you were young hardly exist later on.

HomerMcvie
01-13-2007, 05:30 PM
But I doubt if Danny's touched a guitar in years(I don't know this, of course). If not, it would take QUITE some time to get his chops(and calluses) back.