PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty Insists He's Not Retiring

estranged4life
01-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Looks like Tom Petty won't back down after all. The veteran rocker says he's not retiring, despite a Rolling Stone article in July that suggested otherwise.

Petty said 2006 was one of the most rewarding years in his career, and he expects the ride to continue in 2007.

"You never know how things are going to turn out, and I didn't see this year coming," Petty told the Los Angeles Times for a story published Sunday. "But maybe next year will be even better."

Petty and his band, the Heartbreakers, recently earned two Grammy nominations for their latest album, "Highway Companion."

Their 30th anniversary tour was a sellout and included a triumphant homecoming to Gainesville, Fla., where the band formed in the 1970s. Petty was offered the key to the city.

The Heartbreakers also are the subject of a documentary due out in 2007 from Oscar-nominated director Peter Bogdanovich. Bogdanovich calls Petty "an American troubadour in the truest sense of the word."

Petty is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His many hits include "I Won't Back Down, "Even the Losers," "Breakdown," "American Girl," "Free Fallin'" and "The Waiting."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

UnwindedDreams
01-01-2007, 01:50 AM
[QUOTE=estranged4life;622247]

Petty said 2006 was one of the most rewarding years in his career, and he expects the ride to continue in 2007.

"You never know how things are going to turn out, and I didn't see this year coming," Petty told the Los Angeles Times for a story published Sunday. "But maybe next year will be even better."

Petty and his band, the Heartbreakers, recently earned two Grammy nominations for their latest album, "Highway Companion."

The Heartbreakers also are the subject of a documentary due out in 2007 from Oscar-nominated director Peter Bogdanovich. Bogdanovich calls Petty "an American troubadour in the truest sense of the word."

QUOTE]Cool...That documentary should be AWESOME!

rbs3676
01-01-2007, 12:22 PM
That is wonderful news!! :]

rbs

irishgrl
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Im jazzed for Tom, apparently he underestimated his appeal! :nod:

skcin
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
This? Is awesome news. As a side note, I thought Highway Companion was a solo album, sans Heartbreakers. :shrug: I know Mike Campbell was on it, but it was released as a Petty album.

sparky
01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear this. I wish Stevie had such enthusiasm for her career.

DavidMn
01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
If he can still do it, I say go for it!:thumbsup:

Rickypt
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
What a great man. Maybe there will be a TP/Stevie Two Voices tour this summer.

skcin
01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Glad to hear this. I wish Stevie had such enthusiasm for her career.

What a great man. Maybe there will be a TP/Stevie Two Voices tour this summer.

Well, at least she has enthusiasm for HIS career. :lol:

xdreamsunwindx
01-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh, good. Now I don't feel as horrible for missing him on his last tour. Damn you, other concert commitments!

This is really great news. Tom is one of the few true rock 'n' rollers of our time. He'll always kick ass.