PDA

View Full Version : White House Christmas

skcin
12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Did anyone catch the special showing all the holiday decor & food for the White House? I think it was on HGTV or TLC or something.

Am I the only one disgusted? We're at war, soldiers are dying every day, there are so many hungry people in the U.S. - and the world, for that matter. Is it really appropriate to spend all kinds of time and MONEY to cut down & decorate several trees, make topiaries out of real living plants (in the shape of the White House pets, no less), bake 20,000 cookies to serve at various dinner buffets, bake MORE cookies solely to decorate some trees (talk about wasting food) and serve STEAK at most of these holiday dinners? And then have a TV program showing all of this?

I don't know, maybe it's supposed to make us feel all warm inside, and keep us in the holiday spirit. :rolleyes: I'm not saying they shouldn't decorate or celebrate at all, but it's too much, especially when we're at war. The word ostentatious comes to mind.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I just dont pay attention to things like that. I agree it's quite annoying.

SuzeQuze
12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
There's no way I could've watched this and yes I think it's in extremely poor taste bordering on disgusting.

sasja
12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
:eek:

Ostentatious indeed. Also tasteless, rude and rubbing-it-in, and wasteful.

Let me vomit in (on) the (B)bushes.

Twits.

Sasja

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Let's face it, Bush doesn't have anything close to a grip on reality nor does he understand the consequences of his actions. And now he's talking sending more troops to Iraq. If Pelosi doesn't fight this with every fiber of her being, then I will personally organize the protests outside her office.

I am beyond disgusted with Bush. Lately I've been trying to deal with my ongoing outrage at the people who reelected that monster in '04. How could people have done that to the world.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Let's face it, Bush doesn't have anything close to a grip on reality nor does he understand the consequences of his actions. And now he's talking sending more troops to Iraq. If Pelosi doesn't fight this with every fiber of her being, then I will personally organize the protests outside her office.

I am beyond disgusted with Bush. Lately I've been trying to deal with my ongoing outrage at the people who reelected that monster in '04. How could people have done that to the world.Now Now, only 2 more years.:lol:

SuzeQuze
12-29-2006, 02:12 PM

I am beyond disgusted with Bush. Lately I've been trying to deal with my ongoing outrage at the people who reelected that monster in '04. How could people have done that to the world.

They didn't have the foresight we had, bless their little minds. I wish we'd been wrong.

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
They didn't have the foresight we had, bless their little minds. I wish we'd been wrong.

They should have known by November, 2004. No foresight was needed at that point.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
They should have known by November, 2004. No foresight was needed at that point.Cmon, dont u remember the "genius" Karl Rove deciding to go after the NASCAR dads in 2004?:rolleyes:

Nixxxed
12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
I watched part of this, just because I was too shocked (from everything Paula already said) to change the channel.

I'll only add:

- On top of being immorally expensive, the decorations were tacky and just plain ****ing ugly

- Laura Bush said the word "holiday" or some variation about 1,000 times ... ummm ... what about this supposed "War on Christmas" again???

- Again, I could only stomach about 15-20 minutes, but I saw more than a hundred people helping - decorators, laborers, White House Staff, etc. It was a VERY white crowd. I didn't notice many minorities, if any at all. Kanye was right.

estranged4life
12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Cmon, dont u remember the "genius" Karl Rove deciding to go after the NASCAR dads in 2004?:rolleyes:

terms which make it seem that if you're a NASCAR fan you're automatically a conservative and/or Pro-Bush.

I love NASCAR (I come from a family of racers) and I will never be considered a 'conservative' or 'pro-Bush'.

Oh, and to stay on topic...No, I didnt watch it. Cant see how some in this country celebrate a holiday whereas others are being shipped home in metal caskets.

jannieC
12-29-2006, 09:43 PM

I stood on line for FOUR HOURS to vote against Bush. I feel your pain. And I agree with everything you stated here.

I have not seen the holiday at the White House, but from the sound of it, it would have pissed me off beyond reason. This world is crazy.

gldstwmn
12-29-2006, 09:47 PM
The whole thing is disgusting. I didn't see it and I'm glad I didn't. It's just one more thing in a long list of things that is wrong with the current administration.

BlackWidow
12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Did anyone catch the special showing all the holiday decor & food for the White House? I think it was on HGTV or TLC or something.

Am I the only one disgusted? We're at war, soldiers are dying every day, there are so many hungry people in the U.S. - and the world, for that matter. Is it really appropriate to spend all kinds of time and MONEY to cut down & decorate several trees, make topiaries out of real living plants (in the shape of the White House pets, no less), bake 20,000 cookies to serve at various dinner buffets, bake MORE cookies solely to decorate some trees (talk about wasting food) and serve STEAK at most of these holiday dinners? And then have a TV program showing all of this?

I don't know, maybe it's supposed to make us feel all warm inside, and keep us in the holiday spirit. :rolleyes: I'm not saying they shouldn't decorate or celebrate at all, but it's too much, especially when we're at war. The word ostentatious comes to mind.

They need munchies for the hanging don't forget.

carrie721
12-29-2006, 10:31 PM

um, hello? if we don't continue being ridiculously wasteful, garish, and thoughtless, the terrorists win! :mad: :mad: :mad:

gldstwmn
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
um, hello? if we don't continue being ridiculously wasteful, garish, and thoughtless, the terrorists win! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now go out shopping!

BlackWidow
12-29-2006, 10:39 PM

YEA! Thank you everyone for voting for this asshole again!!! LOVELY!
Someone sent Tom & I a XMas card that had the Bush Family all together in a family christmas pose and above their heads it said
"PISS ON EARTH!"

gldstwmn
12-29-2006, 10:42 PM
YEA! Thank you everyone for voting for this asshole again!!! LOVELY!
Someone sent Tom & I a XMas card that had the Bush Family all together in a family christmas pose and above their heads it said
"PISS ON EARTH!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Truer words were never spoken.

DavidMn
12-30-2006, 05:44 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Truer words were never spoken.Piss on earth. GAWD that's funny!!:laugh:

BlackWidow
12-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Piss on earth. GAWD that's funny!!:laugh:

Brilliant huh????!!!:laugh:

strandinthewind
01-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Then you're going to have to fault every President in, I believe, the history of the US and televised since, I believe, the Kennedy era :shrug:

amber
01-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Then you're going to have to fault every President in, I believe, the history of the US and televised since, I believe, the Kennedy era :shrug:

No, only the ones who had that party when we were at war. And I mean one of the public wars, not one of Reagan's sneaky sneaky ones. :cool: :p

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
No, only the ones who had that party when we were at war. And I mean one of the public wars, not one of Reagan's sneaky sneaky ones. :cool: :p

Um - We did lots of military campaigns (some legal and some not) during the Clinton years and Bush I. Not to mention the entire Vietnam thing. People died in those and in the latter much more than in Nam :shrug:

In the end, people can think what they want about the propriety of it, but Bush II is doing nothing different here. So, to put the disgust solely on him just because you hate him as I do, is unfair and hypocritical :shrug:

skcin
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM

Exactly. :nod: I have no problems with the decorating & fesitivities in theory, but I feel that when we're at war, it should be toned down a bit.

Strand's just pissed because I denounced the Scottie topiaries. :D

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
. . . Strand's just pissed because I denounced the Scottie topiaries. :D

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Some other WH Christmas stuff:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/holiday/whtree/

http://www.whitehousehistory.org/09/09.html

I think many people see it as a tradition and it gives them hope. SO, I say do it. But others hate it I guess.

Interestingly, here is the WWII time period:

The Twelve Years of Christmases
Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt loved Christmas: the scent of a fresh evergreen tree warmed by the fire of candles; the President's Christmas Eve ritual of reading and reciting from memory the Dickens classic Christmas Carol; the First Lady's gift buying for family friends and the hundreds of people who made their life at the White House more enjoyable.

Though half of the Christmases of the Roosevelts' 12-year tenure were seasoned by war, the holidays was always a joyous, festive, exciting family event. A year-round Christmas shopper, the First Lady maintained a Christmas Closet where she kept all the gifts she began assembling each January. To keep track of all her purchases, she kept a detailed Christmas book.

Among the most unique of the Roosevelts' gifts were the pewter items made at The Forge, a foundry established by the First Lady to create Depression-era jobs for young men willing to learn the art of metal craft. With war threatening, The Forge closed, and the First Family turned to a number of other sources for gift ideas. The Roosevelt Christmas cards were enclosed with gifts. Some, most likely, were sent as greetings. With the war in Europe came increasing contact with other heads of state, and the President also sent these cards abroad.

http://www.whitehousechristmas.com/WHC/WHC_President.aspx?curPres=19

skcin
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
^ Great. :shrug: I have no problems with trying to be festive. I do have a problem with gluttony - why do you need to serve (and I quote from the special) "steak, steak and more steak" at every dinner? I also have a problem with wasting food - baking cookie ornaments soley for decorating? :distress:

All I'm saying is that it could have been done in a more tasteful, less garish manner. The way it was presented was almost like bragging. I was appalled.

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
^ Great. :shrug: I have no problems with trying to be festive. I do have a problem with gluttony - why do you need to serve (and I quote from the special) "steak, steak and more steak" at every dinner? I also have a problem with wasting food - baking cookie ornaments soley for decorating? :distress:

All I'm saying is that it could have been done in a more tasteful, less garish manner. The way it was presented was almost like bragging. I was appalled.

They all use this as a political tool, esp. now that the media more of a political tool :shrug:

skcin
01-02-2007, 01:10 PM
They all use this as a political tool, esp. now that the media more of a political tool :shrug:

I don't get what you're saying. Who's using what as a political tool? :shrug:

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't get what you're saying. Who's using what as a political tool? :shrug:

I suggest that while the inhabitants of the WH all clearly celebrate Christmas, the photos are all staged and used to sell in some manner the current regimes throughout the history of the US. Clearly, the image of any first family around the Christmas tree, etc., sells to the masses.

Another example was Joan Crawford exploiting Christmas for pubilicity in that movie.

So, I think they all do it. On a similar note, the Clintons were always careful to be shown holding hands in Sunday service. While I think they were legit in being there, I think they knew that photo would play well. In fact, it likely was directed as are just about all photo ops.

skcin
01-02-2007, 02:44 PM
^ I agree. But why would this admin. use the media to brag about all the Christmas crap they have at the White House during a war? Seems that it would piss people off more than make them say "awwww, how cute!" :shrug:

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
^ I agree. But why would this admin. use the media to brag about all the Christmas crap they have at the White House during a war? Seems that it would piss people off more than make them say "awwww, how cute!" :shrug:

They all do it as evidenced by the sites I posted.

I think people like to see tradition, etc. I think this is supported by the fact that they have been doing it for decades. Clearly you see that the image by the Christmas tree and the kids presents given to the WH and all that is wholesome image that will play well in almost all of America regardless of your opinion, which while your's and I respect it, is clearly in the minority :shrug:

skcin
01-02-2007, 03:22 PM
They all do it as evidenced by the sites I posted.

I think people like to see tradition, etc. I think this is supported by the fact that they have been doing it for decades. Clearly you see that the image by the Christmas tree and the kids presents given to the WH and all that is wholesome image that will play well in almost all of America regardless of your opinion, which while your's and I respect it, is clearly in the minority :shrug:

I looked at your sites. :shrug: Previous war-time administrations did not seem to be so pretentious from what I saw there. There's nothing wrong with having a tree (even more than 1), or decorating, or giving gifts, especially to underpriveleged kids.

I do see something wrong with overdoing it - expensive meals, countless floral arrangements made with real flowers, topiaries, fruit sculptures, etc. You can decorate & celebrate & keep the holiday spirit in a more tasteful, toned down manner, IMO. especially when you're the leader of a country at war.

SuzeQuze
01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I looked at your sites. :shrug: Previous war-time administrations did not seem to be so pretentious from what I saw there. There's nothing wrong with having a tree (even more than 1), or decorating, or giving gifts, especially to underpriveleged kids.

I do see something wrong with overdoing it - expensive meals, countless floral arrangements made with real flowers, topiaries, fruit sculptures, etc. You can decorate & celebrate & keep the holiday spirit in a more tasteful, toned down manner, IMO. especially when you're the leader of a country at war.

:nod: There is a way to celebrate, even with abundance, but when it becomes ostentatious it is in very poor taste.

gldstwmn
01-02-2007, 04:26 PM

I'm psychic because I knew this would be your response. :laugh: Admit it, you have the hots for Laura.

Nixxxed
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM

You looked at the White House website? Make sure to clear your cookies and do a spyware check. This is the Bush Administration we're talking about. :nod:

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm psychic because I knew this would be your response. :laugh: Admit it, you have the hots for Laura.

Well, she and "Dollar Bill" Cheney are on my screensaver!!!!!

Seriously, every President has done this and most during a time when some US soldier was killed or injured - so I do not see the deal with faulting W anymore than any of the others. And - mind you, I detest W and his cronies.

strandinthewind
01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
:nod: There is a way to celebrate, even with abundance, but when it becomes ostentatious it is in very poor taste.

Line drawing and where do you draw your's?

Again, the Clintons, Bushes, Regeans, Carters, Fords, Nixons, Johnsons, Kenndeys and so on did it.

skcin
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Line drawing and where do you draw your's?

Again, the Clintons, Bushes, Regeans, Carters, Fords, Nixons, Johnsons, Kenndeys and so on did it.

No, I'm relatively sure that none of them had dog shaped topiaries all over the place. :cool:

I'll draw the line for you. The country is at war. We are torn apart over this administation. Approval ratingas are very low. So put up a giant tree & decorate it, have 4 or 5 dinners (hopefully some for "regular" people as well as politicians and businessmen; and not all consisting of one of the most expensive ingredients) and toss some poinsettias around the House. You don't need to do more than that to give people a warm, cheerful holiday feeling.

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
No, I'm relatively sure that none of them had dog shaped topiaries all over the place. :cool:

I'll draw the line for you. The country is at war. We are torn apart over this administation. Approval ratingas are very low. So put up a giant tree & decorate it, have 4 or 5 dinners (hopefully some for "regular" people as well as politicians and businessmen; and not all consisting of one of the most expensive ingredients) and toss some poinsettias around the House. You don't need to do more than that to give people a warm, cheerful holiday feeling.

Again, people died in the admin.'s of Clinton, Bush I, RR, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, kennedy, etc. -- yet, they all did it too. I remember seeing newsreels of FDR and the WH at Christmas and the celebrations they had and they were, for the times, quite fancy despite the war and the depression. So, to me this admin. is doing nothing the others did not do. That speaks nothing to whether I, you, or anyone is correct in thinking it is in bad taste. I am just saying that if you think it is in bad taste for the reason that such a show is awful when people are dying for our country -- then you have to hate them all because they all did the same thing.

Interestingly, the WH always does the best when entertaining and decorating. So, why should this be any different :shrug:

I think in the end, people just hate this because Bush is doing it.

skcin
01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
^ I want to see video please. The opinion I have formed about the current administration's over-the-top holiday decorations & festivities was due to the TV show that I watched. So, I cannot judge past admins until I see video footage, or lists of crap they paid for, or photographs of every room they decorated. I will be happy to denounce all former presidents if they've all done it to this degree.

BTW - I wonder how much is donated, and how much is paid for. :shrug:

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
^ I want to see video please. The opinion I have formed about the current administration's over-the-top holiday decorations & festivities was due to the TV show that I watched. So, I cannot judge past admins until I see video footage, or lists of crap they paid for, or photographs of every room they decorated. I will be happy to denounce all former presidents if they've all done it to this degree.

BTW - I wonder how much is donated, and how much is paid for. :shrug:

Google it :wavey: :wavey: Actually, I am basing it on memory - I remember someone walking through the WH with Hillary, Barbara, and Nancy -- I also remember seeing the newsreels of the FDR and Eisenhower years - and they were all similar to the one this year. But, I have no clue where to find them.

I do not know how much is donated. I am sure some. But, the WH has a staff of likely a thousand or so. So, if they were not making those topiaries, they'd be doing something else I guess.

In the end, it is a dog and pony show that has happened on tv since Kennedy.

skcin
01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
^ I looked around a bit, didn't find much. I looked at your links too, not much detail there. I'll Google when I get some time and report back here, sir. :cool:

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
^ I looked around a bit, didn't find much. I looked at your links too, not much detail there. I'll Google when I get some time and report back here, sir. :cool:

I did too and found some sites that claimed to have some video in the archives that you could pay to see and I did not want to make my point that bad :laugh:

But, if memory serves me correctly, they all do this Christmas at the WH thing every year and it always is a very produced thing IMO. I think Mamie Eisenhower had like 10 trees one year :eek:

BlackWidow
01-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Again, people died in the admin.'s of Clinton, Bush I, RR, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, kennedy, etc. -- yet, they all did it too. I remember seeing newsreels of FDR and the WH at Christmas and the celebrations they had and they were, for the times, quite fancy despite the war and the depression. So, to me this admin. is doing nothing the others did not do. That speaks nothing to whether I, you, or anyone is correct in thinking it is in bad taste. I am just saying that if you think it is in bad taste for the reason that such a show is awful when people are dying for our country -- then you have to hate them all because they all did the same thing.

Interestingly, the WH always does the best when entertaining and decorating. So, why should this be any different :shrug:

I think in the end, people just hate this because Bush is doing it.

..or in the end..he is just hated..period!

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 08:47 AM

I often wonder if the majority of the people in the US hate him. I know his approval rating is very low, but that does not necessarily equate to hatred. I think most people see it like this -- SH was a bad guy who needed to be taken care of. Sadly, the method used by W was and is not successful and now we are bogged down in a war we cannot win and many question whether the end (SH's hanging) justified the means (the botched reconstruction of Iraq).

As for his social policies, I think many are not too concerned about them and generally support them because they mistakenly think W lowered their taxes and is for less governmental interference in our lives.

BlackWidow
01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
I often wonder if the majority of the people in the US hate him. I know his approval rating is very low, but that does not necessarily equate to hatred. I think most people see it like this -- SH was a bad guy who needed to be taken care of. Sadly, the method used by W was and is not successful and now we are bogged down in a war we cannot win and many question whether the end (SH's hanging) justified the means (the botched reconstruction of Iraq).

As for his social policies, I think many are not too concerned about them and generally support them because they mistakenly think W lowered their taxes and is for less governmental interference in our lives.

You have a red state perspective..which surprises me since your gay.
My reality is BLUE!
I really do feel he will not be remembered kindly in the history books for all the shame he brought to our country.

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
You have a red state perspective..which surprises me since your gay.
My reality is BLUE!

That is not what I think personally - - that is what I see around me and not just in Georgia. Interestingly, I think it stems from peoples' general feeling of wanting to believe in the good of the US and her President.

My personal thoughts are W was put into power to make a select few a ton of money and they achieved that goal. I think 9/11 was the catalyst they were searching for, though I do not think they in any way caused it as is alleged. So, while I think the general theory of ousting SH was a good one (and almost all R's and D's in DC agree with me) -- the method W used was poor and IMO was geared at making a hand selected group a ton of money as evidenced by the scene in F-911 when the corps. are meeting and discussing the pot of gold in Iraq. And, even then, someone had to rebuild Iraq and I cannot say Halliburton was not the most qualified, which in no way excuses the no bid contract, etc. Actually, my position of Iraq is exactly that of Bill Clinton.

And, I agree that history will not be kind to him, although as long as there is Fox News, he will get a pass. I think it is hysterical that the only interviews he and Cheney give are to Fox now :rolleyes:

BlackWidow
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
That is not what I think personally - - that is what I see around me and not just in Georgia. Interestingly, I think it stems from peoples' general feeling of wanting to believe in the good of the US and her President.

And, I agree that historyu will not be kind to him, although as long as there is Fox News, he will get a pass. I think it is hysterical that the only interviews he and Cheney give are to Fox now :rolleyes:

....soft questions only pleeeeze..........:lol:

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
....soft questions only pleeeeze..........:lol:

There is no doubt in my mind that the WH hands then the questions. To be fair, the WH always controls the topics, but the Fox interviews are just spoon fed feeds for the canned answers.

gldstwmn
01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Google it :wavey:

Oh come on! She doesn't need to Google your point for you. We're getting a little slouchy in our advanced age, aren't we? :laugh:

gldstwmn
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Well that too... :laugh:

gldstwmn
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM

Oh brother. You're certainly shoveling it this morning, aren't you? I think most people are afraid of the consequences of openly saying they despise him, kind of like in Germany in the 30's. :laugh:

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh brother. You're certainly shoveling it this morning, aren't you? I think most people are afraid of the consequences of openly saying they despise him, kind of like in Germany in the 30's. :laugh:

I am just saying what I generally hear people say. Certainly, I have heard both extremes though. I am talking about common people not news people, etc., though some of them like KO and Dobbs are unafraid.

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh come on! She doesn't need to Google your point for you. We're getting a little slouchy in our advanced age, aren't we? :laugh:

LOL - it is true.

BlackWidow
01-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Leave It To Adolf...:laugh: