PDA

View Full Version : Best Xmas present ever: Zito signs with SF!

Rickypt
12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
:blob1: :blob2: :blob1:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6312316

Giants and lefty Zito reach contract agreement
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 10 minutes ago

The Giants have identified their centerpiece of the post-Barry Bonds Era, only it's not a hitter.

The team has reached preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander Barry Zito, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is for seven years and more than $120 million, according to a major-league source.
The deal, agreed to late Wednesday night, includes an $18 million option for 2014 that could increase the value to $144 million, according to The Associated Press.

Zito must pass a physical for the contract to be finalized.

Zito, 28, spurned lesser offers from the Rangers and Mets to remain in the Bay Area, where he spent his first six seasons with the A's.

While the Giants again will be one of the oldest teams in the majors, the long-term addition of Zito will give them a strong young rotation for the future.

Left-hander Noah Lowry, 26, is under the team's control through 2010 and right-hander Matt Cain, 22, through '11.

The Giants also have right-hander Matt Morris, 32, signed through 2008 with a club option for '09.

While the Rangers were considered the early front-runners for Zito, many in the industry believed he would end up with the Mets.

By signing with the Giants, Zito will gain the advantage of working in a pitcher-friendly park in the competitive — but frequently mediocre — National League West.

The Giants have undergone numerous changes this off-season, hiring Bruce Bochy to replace Felipe Alou as their manager and bringing in a new wave of veteran free agents, including outfielder Dave Roberts, infielder Rich Aurilia, first baseman Ryan Klesko and catcher Bengie Molina.

They've also re-signed Bonds, second baseman Ray Durham, third baseman Pedro Feliz and left-handed reliever Steve Kline.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.

ryan8472
12-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Great signing for you guys. :nod: Too bad the hottest pitcher in baseball couldn't come to the Bronx though. ;)

Oh well, at least this raises the trade value for Randy Johnson. Word is Arizona and San Diego want him. :nod:

Now I'm just praying that The Rocket comes back for an encore in NYC. :D

Rickypt
12-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Now I'm just praying that The Rocket comes back for an encore in NYC. :D

That would be great. :nod:

ryan8472
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
That would be great. :nod:

Hey, the only time they made it to the WS lately is with Clemens, Pettitte and Mussina at the top of their rotation. Since two of the three are already there, with Chien Ming Wang as the new ace and the Japanese pitcher Igawa, the addition of Roger would be HUGE. :nod:

Rickypt
12-28-2006, 02:10 PM
The Yankees are coming to SF for interleague next year. Can't wait to go to all three games.

ryan8472
12-28-2006, 02:15 PM
The Yankees are coming to SF for interleague next year. Can't wait to go to all three games.

Those will be good games. :nod:

If I recall, last time they met up, Bonds hit a monster homerun off Ted Lilly. Rivera struck him out though. ;)

amber
12-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Sweeeet. I would rather he stayed in Oakland, but at least he's still "in town". :thumbsup:

Rickypt
12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Sweeeet. I would rather he stayed in Oakland, but at least he's still "in town". :thumbsup:

You like to go to games? We should go to one of the SF vs. Oakland games in June.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Great signing for you guys. :nod: Too bad the hottest pitcher in baseball couldn't come to the Bronx though. ;)

Oh well, at least this raises the trade value for Randy Johnson. Word is Arizona and San Diego want him. :nod:

Now I'm just praying that The Rocket comes back for an encore in NYC. :DEver heard of a guy anmed Ed WHitson that pitched for teh Yankees back in the 80's? He absolutely could not handle the whole New York thing and was traded to the Padres. I think this might have been a similar situation.

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
I did read that one of the reasons Zito might have chosen not to go to Mets/Yankees is because NY sportswriters and fans are so hard on players and if he signed a mega-contract and didn't perform well then he would get skewered. He's a fragile soul, apparently. We are quite forgiving and rather mellow in the Bay Area.

Giants fans are ecstatic this week!

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 01:44 PM
I did read that one of the reasons Zito might have chosen not to go to Mets/Yankees is because NY sportswriters and fans are so hard on players and if he signed a mega-contract and didn't perform well then he would get skewered. He's a fragile soul, apparently. We are quite forgiving and rather mellow in the Bay Area.

Giants fans are ecstatic this week!Man I'm happy for ya. Good signing!:nod: I found it rather interesting though I saw this piece comparing the signing of Zito with Matsusaka, the ace the Red Sox got from Japan, and he's younger than Zito, and his contract, minus the fee they ahd to pay the Japan team to negoriate with him is only half of Zito's. I'm just as excited my Sox got this guy!

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 01:48 PM

Giants fans are ecstatic this week!

I think Barry would have been fine in NY. He wanted to play on a team that's goal is to win (Yankees). He also had a great working relationship with Rick Peterson, the pitching coach for the Mets. It all came down to the money, really. He turned down offers from Texas, the Mets, etc, for that. You could argue that he stayed in San Fran because it's his home, it's a pitcher's park in the NL, etc, but it's all about $$$.

Besides, if he REALLY wanted to play for a contender, he would've gone to a New York team. ;)

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
I think Barry would have been fine in NY. He wanted to play on a team that's goal is to win (Yankees). He also had a great working relationship with Rick Peterson, the pitching coach for the Mets. It all came down to the money, really. He turned down offers from Texas, the Mets, etc, for that. You could argue that he stayed in San Fran because it's his home, it's a pitcher's park in the NL, etc, but it's all about $$$.

Besides, if he REALLY wanted to play for a contender, he would've gone to a New York team. ;)

Did the Mets ever make him an offer?

And let's let me believe what I want to believe....:laugh:

Zito chose the Giants because we are contenders and he loves San Franciscans and New York is filled with meanies.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Heres the thing to with Matsusaka. Our arch enemies the Yankees, whod they sign? Old Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson's probably going back to the desert. It's going to be a good year in Boston I think.:nod:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM

Zito chose the Giants because we are contenders and he loves San Franciscans and New York is filled with meanies.

Zito and Boras met with Omar Minaya and the Mets brass earlier this month, and it's presumed they made a big offer. :nod:

And lets reach the post season before we proclaim our teams "contenders." :laugh:

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Zito and Boras met with Omar Minaya and the Mets brass earlier this month, and it's presumed they made a big offer. :nod:

And lets reach the post season before we proclaim our teams "contenders." :laugh:I'm waiting for your response sir.:laugh: :lol:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Heres the thing to with Matsusaka. Our arch enemies the Yankees, whod they sign? Old Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson's probably going back to the desert. It's going to be a good year in Boston I think.:nod:

We did sign Andy Pettitte. ;) And if Randy goes, you know who is replacing him.
http://www.bronxpride.com/files/images/RogerClemensYankees.jpg

As for that Boston team, you can't say their pitching is that great either. Schilling is as ancient as Johnson, Beckett is inconsistant, Dice-K is a huge question mark, not having thrown a pitch in the bigs, Matt Clement is about as useless as Carl Pavano, Tim Wakefield is either great or awful, Jon Lester is recovering from cancer, and Papelbon needs to learn another pitch other than a fastball. :wavey:

NOT TO MENTION A COMPLETELY BARREN AND WORTHLESS BULLPEN! :laugh:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm waiting for your response sir.:laugh: :lol:

lmao

See above. :D

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:01 PM
lmao

See above. :DBring it baby come spring training! Cant wait!:xoxo:

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
As for that Boston team, you can't say their pitching is that great either. Schilling is as ancient as Johnson, Beckett is inconsistant, Dice-K is a huge question mark, not having thrown a pitch in the bigs, Matt Clement is about as useless as Carl Pavano, Tim Wakefield is either great or awful, Jon Lester is recovering from cancer, and Papelbon needs to learn another pitch other than a fastball. :wavey:

Oh, snap.

I'm not sure if Giants are contenders or not, but I know that I now have two hottie pitchers to obsess over, Zito and Lowry. Which means spending a lot more money going to games.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Oh, snap.

I'm not sure if Giants are contenders or not, but I know that I now have two hottie pitchers to obsess over, Zito and Lowry. Which means spending a lot more money going to games.Yeah asshole! how come your team gets all the hot guys!?!?!:xoxo: :mad: :rolleyes:

emfan2377
12-29-2006, 02:12 PM

Minaya said in today's NY Daily News that he wasn't offering more than 5 years. His reasoning was it's too big of a risk for any team. He also said he offering was in the $10-$15 million per year range.

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah asshole! how come your team gets all the hot guys!?!?!:xoxo: :mad: :rolleyes:

ROFL, the Giants have been the least hottie team in baseball as long as I've been a fan. We now have a total of two hotties.

The hottie team is the A's. I'm sure they will replace Zito with another hottie, that is what they do.

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Bring it baby come spring training! Cant wait!:xoxo:

You have no rebuttle. You know the Sox still suck. ;)

The only thing they have going for them is the offense. And that got em 3rd place last year. :p :wavey:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah asshole! how come your team gets all the hot guys!?!?!:xoxo: :mad: :rolleyes:

Oh go drool over Joe Mauer. :laugh:

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Minaya said in today's NY Daily News that he wasn't offering more than 5 years. His reasoning was it's too big of a risk for any team. He also said he offering was in the $10-$15 million per year range.

It is a huge risk for the Giants, but they had to do something. There was so much anger among fans about the pathetic signings and much grumbling about resigning Bonds. SF was at risk of losing a lot of bona fide fans and maybe not filling seats. Had they decided just to go young and have some rebuilding, then we would have been okay with that, but they instead signed a bunch of so-so mid-30's players and resigned Bonds.

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
You have no rebuttle. You know the Sox still suck. ;)

The only thing they have going for them is the offense. And that got em 3rd place last year. :p :wavey:Ok, as you guys so eloquently chanted for about 100 years, 1918 when the sox won their last title before 2004, now its my turn. OK All Red Sox fans, this is for new york!!!!

2000! 2000!:xoxo:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, as you guys so eloquently chanted for about 100 years, 1918 when the sox won their last title before 2004, now its my turn. OK All Red Sox fans, this is for new york!!!!

2000! 2000!:xoxo:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/Ssport/BUCKPHU006000~Mookie-Wilson-s-Grounder-Past-Bill-Buckner-1986-World-Series-Game-6-Posters.jpg:wavey:

DavidMn
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/Ssport/BUCKPHU006000~Mookie-Wilson-s-Grounder-Past-Bill-Buckner-1986-World-Series-Game-6-Posters.jpg:wavey:Ok, not bad. He's forgiven now though. It's all water under the bridge. We have that one ring after all these years.:nod: Oh here's a couple names for ya!

Kevin Brown. Javier Vasquez

believe me, I'll never forget them!:laugh:

SuzeQuze
12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok, not bad. He's forgiven now though. It's all water under the bridge. We have that one ring after all these years.:nod: Oh here's a couple names for ya!

Varitek
Papelbon

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Varitek
Papelbon

- Grossly overrated.
- Has a lot of potential. :nod:

ryan8472
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok, not bad. He's forgiven now though. It's all water under the bridge. We have that one ring after all these years.:nod: Oh here's a couple names for ya!

Aww, they're water under the bridge too now. Right now the big two words are CARL PAVANO. :laugh:

SuzeQuze
12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
- Grossly overrated.
- Has a lot of potential. :nod:

I'm just talking hotness! Carry on. :lol:

DavidMn
12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Aww, they're water under the bridge too now. Right now the big two words are CARL PAVANO. :laugh:Touche. :thumbsup:

Rickypt
01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh glorious day!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/RickyPT/sp_baseball_cajc103.jpg

DavidMn
01-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh glorious day!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/RickyPT/sp_baseball_cajc103.jpgGodamn that is one hot dude!!!!:D

Rickypt
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
:D :D :D

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/RickyPT/sp_giants_0634.jpg