12-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Preach it!!!!

I'm so ready to see this.

GODDESS6
12-23-2006, 12:13 PM
looks good, i can't wait to see it either!!!~

SuzeQuze
12-23-2006, 12:18 PM
She's so talented, I want to see this too!

DavidMn
12-23-2006, 01:57 PM
The previews looked good.:nod:

BlackWidow
12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Preach it!!!!

I'm so ready to see this.

I heard it is AMAZING!
People clapping and standing in the movie theatre after all of Effie's songs...

Musicman408
12-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Hudson is amazing..... Absolutely beautiful voice.:nod:

Rickypt
12-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I have tickets to the 10:20 am show on Xmas with two friends. Can't wait. I saw the play in the 80's with my grandma and loved it.:woohoo:

rbs3676
12-23-2006, 11:00 PM
My friend Tamela and I are going to the first showing on Christmas then headed downtown to the La Mansion champagne brunch! :]
Good times...

rbs

BlackWidow
12-24-2006, 12:27 AM
I have tickets to the 10:20 am show on Xmas with two friends. Can't wait. I saw the play in the 80's with my grandma and loved it.:woohoo:

I am seeing it here in Vegas with my family on Christmas Day..then when I get back to L.A. I will see it in a packed Theatre with hundreds of gay screaming men...lol!!!:D

Rickypt
12-24-2006, 11:01 AM
then when I get back to L.A. I will see it in a packed Theatre with hundreds of gay screaming men...lol!!!:D

Talk about the depths of hell! :laugh:

danax6
12-24-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm really looking forward to this one, but unfortunately it won't hit theatres here until the end of February. Did I mention yet that I hate they haven't perfected the concept global release yet?

BlackWidow
12-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Talk about the depths of hell! :laugh:

...hehehehe.

Rickypt
12-25-2006, 07:21 PM
This movie is fan-fricking-tastic! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I loved every minute of it. All of them turned in great performances. And while know the hype is about Jennifer Hudson (well-deserved, she has earned it), I think the show-stopper was Eddie Murphy. I can't wait to see this movie again.:D

ontheEdgeof17
12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
ARGH!@#

I was going to treat myself to this movie tonight, but it's not showing here yet. :(

BlackWidow
12-26-2006, 12:52 AM
The Movie Rocked!!!!

skcin
12-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Can't wait to see it. :thumbsup:

Rickypt
12-26-2006, 02:32 PM
I'd also like to give props to the 3rd Dreamgirl, Anika Noni Rose. She isn't getting a lot of attention what with Jennifermania and Beyonce and all. And her part is much smaller. But she is great. She was Caroline's daughter in my favorite musical "Caroline Or Change" and won a Tony for that outstanding performance. I believe she is from the Bay Area.

Damn, I want to see the movie again today.

ragandbone
12-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I want to see it too. The tracks I have heard from the movie have been great. I never saw the stage show, but I was just looking at this performance from the Tony awards in the early 80's, and I was spellbound.
J. Holiday at Tony awards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq4uc9b2s1o)

mikeschmike
12-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I want to see it too. The tracks I have heard from the movie have been great. I never saw the stage show, but I was just looking at this performance from the Tony awards in the early 80's, and I was spellbound.
J. Holiday at Tony awards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq4uc9b2s1o)

This is why I love Jennifer Holliday (the original B'Way Effie) and am biased towards the movie. I still want to see it though. Look at how skinny Loretta Devine is in the youtube vid! Wow, she was hot!

Rickypt
12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
This is why I love Jennifer Holliday (the original B'Way Effie) and am biased towards the movie. I still want to see it though. Look at how skinny Loretta Devine is in the youtube vid! Wow, she was hot!

There will never be another Jennifer Holliday as Effie, but Hudson does justice to the role. I hope they get a revival of the musical going very soon.

ragandbone
12-26-2006, 03:24 PM
There will never be another Jennifer Holliday as Effie, but Hudson does justice to the role. I hope they get a revival of the musical going very soon.
Just so you know, I am not trying to get a debate going about the Jennifer's, but I was so blown away by that Tony awards clip, and wanted to share.
Now, if you look at the clip, imagine being that guy with Jennifer Holiday singing 2 inches from your ear—yikes!

Rickypt
12-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Just so you know, I am not trying to get a debate going about the Jennifer's

Every thread turns into a debate. :laugh:

I love the clip...thanks for posting!

P.S. Jennifer Holliday would be pleased you posted that. Apparently she is very angry that she's not getting much publicity with the release of the movie.

goldie
12-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I can't wait to see this! For those who have seen it, what about Beyonce? How would you rate her performance?

Rickypt
12-26-2006, 11:12 PM
I rate it very good. She didn't blow me away like Hudson, Murphy. But she did a great job.

BlackWidow
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I rate it very good. She didn't blow me away like Hudson, Murphy. But she did a great job.

Well..Beyonce was good..did not blow me away either!
What a great cast...Hudson blew the roof off!
Beyonce obviously wanted her role pumped up by adding the song "Listen"
No one will steal Jennifer's thunder!!!:laugh: :p

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
!
Beyonce obviously wanted her role pumped up by adding the song "Listen"

Too bad that song blows chunks.

BlackWidow
12-28-2006, 11:04 PM

It kinda grew on me....:shrug:

irishgrl
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Tell us what you REALLY think Curtie :nod:

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 11:13 PM
It kinda grew on me....:shrug:

like genital warts.

"Inspirational" songs are so tacky. They are one, big ball of mushy lyrics thrown together to make 12 years olds with braces and zits feel good. Whatever. It's not real life. When do big dreams come true? Hardly ever.

I think I'm bitter. :lol:

irishgrl
12-28-2006, 11:16 PM
like genital warts.

"Inspirational" songs are so tacky. They are one, big ball of mushy lyrics thrown together to make 12 years olds with braces and zits feel good. Whatever. It's not real life. When do big dreams come true? Hardly ever.

YOU ARE EVIL CURTIE!!!!!!!!

the fact that you may be right is of course nonimportant under the circumstances since the men in white coats are coming to take you away ha ha.....

BlackWidow
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
:xoxo: like genital warts.

Do you need a hug???

irishgrl
12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
:xoxo:

Do you need a hug???
no. he needs antibiotics. :distress:

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 11:28 PM
no. he needs antibiotics. :distress:

You mean antidepressants right?

carrie721
12-28-2006, 11:29 PM

no, antibiotics. to kill the sad germs. didn't you go to nursing school???

BlackWidow
12-28-2006, 11:30 PM

..and a hug...:nod:

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 11:30 PM

...but Xanax, Klonopin, Lithium are so much more fun to take than Penicillin. :cool:

strandinthewind
12-28-2006, 11:31 PM

Why not both :cool:

carrie721
...but Xanax, Klonopin, Lithium are so much more fun to take than Penicillin. :cool:

the real problem is that you've built up a tolerance for penicillin after contracting all those social diseases ...

irishgrl
for Genital warts? me thinkee not............although a good dose of RUM might help...

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 11:32 PM
the real problem is that you've built up a tolerance for penicillin after contracting all those social diseases ...

Thanks to your mom.

carrie721
12-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks to your mom.

i know, it's sad ... i was a herpes baby.

strandinthewind

a Judy Garland cocktail :D :D

BlackWidow

oh snap....

irishgrl
12-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks to your mom.
OH. MY. GAWD.

Your bedside manner leaves much to be desired!!!

and Your Ship Left Port an Hour ago. sorry Curt old fart........

ontheEdgeof17
12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
a Judy Garland cocktail :D :D

Ok. I just laughed really hard at this.

:lol::lol:

irishgrl
12-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Ok. I just laughed really hard at this.

:lol::lol:
because you're EVIL!!!!!!

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 01:22 AM
l

It's just a musical. And it made this 37 year old who should have braces and has a zit now and again feel good. And big dreams never come true.

But then again, I've popped every pill mentioned on this thread. :laugh:

BlackWidow
12-29-2006, 10:09 AM
It's just a musical. And it made this 37 year old who should have braces and has a zit now and again feel good. And big dreams never come true.

But then again, I've popped every pill mentioned on this thread. :laugh:

Tell Jennifer Hudson that BIG DREAMS never come true.....:cool:

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
What I would give to be in NY for New Year's Eve this year:

http://www.saintatlarge.com

ontheEdgeof17
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM

I know. It just kills me to listen to that song. Beyonce is so trying to upstage Hudson and failed miserably. The video is upright laughable.

Rickypt
12-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I know. It just kills me to listen to that song. Beyonce is so trying to upstage Hudson and failed miserably. The video is upright laughable.

I misunderstood, probably because I was tipsy....my NY resolution doesn't start until '07. I thought you were criticizing all the Dreamgirls music. I agree that Listen is nothing to cheer about.

RavenOfRhiannon
12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
'Dreamgirls' is not playing here. Luckily, I had a business trip this week and I dragged one of my co-workers to see it.

Very good. Jennifer Hudson was a force to be reckoned with, and a good substitute for the OJ (Original Jennifer). Beyonce was perfect in her role, she just had to look pretty and sing with no personality.
The script wa tight, and the performences were strong.

I agree that Listen brought the film to a screeching halt however. If Beyonce was upset she was upstaged, then she truely did not know what part he had signed up for. This was Effie's movie...

ontheEdgeof17
12-29-2006, 05:19 PM
I misunderstood, probably because I was tipsy....my NY resolution doesn't start until '07. I thought you were criticizing all the Dreamgirls music. I agree that Listen is nothing to cheer about.

Yeah. The original songs are tight and I love 'em. I skip Listen every time.

BlackWidow
12-29-2006, 10:05 PM

She tried & failed...:thumbsup:

Rickypt
01-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I finally saw the Listen video and it is indeed awful. And her voice cracks halfway through the song....terrible.

I bought the deluxe soundtrack and it has a great dance version of ...and I am telling you. I can't get enough of this music.

BlackWidow
01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I finally saw the Listen video and it is indeed awful. And her voice cracks halfway through the song....terrible.

I bought the deluxe soundtrack and it has a great dance version of ...and I am telling you. I can't get enough of this music.

Oh..I gotta hear that!!!!:lol:

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
. . . And big dreams never come true . . . .

horseshiitte - mine did, even if for just a second and not all of them have :shrug: Then again, my glass always is half full :cool:

BlackWidow
01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
horseshiitte - mine did, even if for just a second and not all of them have :shrug: Then again, my glass always is half full :cool:

I like that perspective!!!

rbs3676
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM

I concur. I've had many of my dreams - big and small - come true. A positive attitude and the belief that anything is possible are two components that can lead anyone to achieve whatever they set their mind to. :wavey:

rbs

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I concur. I've had many of my dreams - big and small - come true. A positive attitude and the belief that anything is possible are two components that can lead anyone to achieve whatever they set their mind to. :wavey:

rbs

Lord Child - our balloons never land do they :cool:

Rickypt
01-03-2007, 01:26 PM

I was drunk and maudlin when I wrote that.....

danax6
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I'll just wait till February then... sigh.

strandinthewind
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I was drunk and maudlin when I wrote that.....

SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:xoxo: :xoxo: :xoxo: :xoxo:

JazmenFlowers
01-03-2007, 06:01 PM
hands down one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time.

mikeschmike
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Rickypt
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM

What a thrill, I just came to post in this thread and find a post from the delightful Jazmen!

I am excited as I just got a free ticket to this event. Will see the great Jennifer Holliday! Not my kind of event, but will be fun.

JENNIFER HOLLIDAY SET TO DAZZLE 2007 SAN FRANCISCO EQUALITY AWARDS
OIA Newswire
SAN FRANCISCO -– Broadway's original "Dreamgirls" star and award-winning actress and vocalist Jennifer Holliday is the featured entertainment for the Equality California (EQCA) 2007 San Francisco Equality Awards.

Holliday will awe hundreds of EQCA supporters with her powerful voice and inspirational lyrics at the organization's premier awards event on February 10. The exclusive performance will highlight Holliday's chart-topping songs, which included the famous "Dreamgirls" Billboard hit "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." The actress starred as Effie Melody White in the original "Dreamgirls" smash hit Broadway musical in the early 1980s. Inspired by the story of Diana Ross and the Supremes, an all-female trio from Chicago, the musical has been made into a much-anticipated major motion picture starring Jamie Foxx and Beyoncé Knowles.

"Equality California is delighted to have Jennifer Holliday join us for the 2007 Equality Awards," said EQCA Executive Director Geoff Kors. "Her spectacular presence will undoubtedly make for a remarkable evening as we celebrate the community leaders and honorees that have joined us in fighting for equality for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community this past year."

The 2007 Equality Awards will be held at San Francisco's majestic City Hall, where three years ago more than 4,000 same-sex couples were married. The evening's festivities include a gourmet dinner, awards ceremony, silent auction and after-party with entertainment and dancing.

Lead sponsors for this year's event include Comcast, AT&T, Wells Fargo, AAA and Energy 92.7 with additional support from Contempo Homes, Clear Channel Outdoor, Olivia Cruises and Resorts, Seduction of Napa Valley, Smirnoff, Geoff Kors and James Williamson, Strategic Accounting Solutions, BvH Law Group LLP, California Teachers Association, Clint Reilly Holdings, Heller Ehrman LLP, Sterling Bank, Jim Nickoff and David Lawson and Hollenbeck Associates.

To purchase tables and individual tickets or for information about sponsorship packages, contact Traci Hoffberg with Blue Room Events at (310) 491-1401 or traci@blueroomevents.com.

Founded in 1998, Equality California is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, grassroots-based, statewide advocacy organization whose mission is to achieve equality and civil rights of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Californians. Please visit our website at www.eqca.org.

JazmenFlowers
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
What a thrill, I just came to post in this thread and find a post from the delightful Jazmen!
:xoxo:

you lucky dog. I bet this show will be awesome.

text me and lemme know if she's still skinny, k? thanks. :D

JazmenFlowers
01-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait!
I think you'll love it. I did.

I've never been to a movie where the audience talked, yelled, clapped and sang. it was like being in the audience at an Oprah show when Barbra's on or something.

of course I was one of maybe 3 caucasions (is that still the PC term? :rolleyes: ) and one of 3 males...so...:cool:

BlackWidow
01-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Do you think Stevie will cover :..And I'm telling you I'm not going on her next tour?

strandinthewind
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Do you think Stevie will cover :..And I'm telling you I'm not going on her next tour?

Well, it has more than three notes and requires effort - so likely not

BlackWidow
01-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, it has more than three notes and requires effort - so likely not

too rough...:lol:

mikeschmike
01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
I saw it tonight, and it was amazing. The writers and directors got the best performances out of each and every cast member. There wasn't a single character that I didn't adore. Well besides Jamie Foxx's "Curtis", but you're not supposed to like him anyway.

As for Listen, I didn't mind it.

JazmenFlowers
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I saw it tonight, and it was amazing. The writers and directors got the best performances out of each and every cast member. There wasn't a single character that I didn't adore. Well besides Jamie Foxx's "Curtis", but you're not supposed to like him anyway.

As for Listen, I didn't mind it.
I knew you'd like it. when it comes out on DVD with special features, you wanna come over and watch? k.

I didn't mind "Listen" either. Beyonce', bless her heart, was trying to make her own "And I Am Telling You" - she really did sing the hell out of that song.

BlackWidow
01-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I knew you'd like it. when it comes out on DVD with special features, you wanna come over and watch? k.

I didn't mind "Listen" either. Beyonce', bless her heart, was trying to make her own "And I Am Telling You" - she really did sing the hell out of that song.

..the problem is..it is really not Deena's story. Deena as written and created originally as a secondary character.It is funny that Beyonce was and still is insecure about being upstaged...CUZ SHE WAS!!!!!:nod:

JazmenFlowers
01-05-2007, 10:12 AM
..the problem is..it is really not Deena's story. Deena as written and created originally as a secondary character.It is funny that Beyonce was and still is insecure about being upstaged...CUZ SHE WAS!!!!!:nod:
that's true. but I thought the song fit Deena's state of mind and was reflected perfectly in the song. each of the actors needed a high point in the movie...a torch song, if you will...JHud got "AIATY" and Beyonce' got "Listen"

BlackWidow
01-05-2007, 10:14 AM
that's true. but I thought the song fit Deena's state of mind and was reflected perfectly in the song. each of the actors needed a high point in the movie...a torch song, if you will...JHud got "AIATY" and Beyonce' got "Listen"

...it was fine ultimately. It's not supposed to be Diva Torch Song Trilogy!:laugh:

mikeschmike
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM

It's a deal!

I'm all over that soundtrack too. I might even go on my lunch break. :lol:

Rickypt
01-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I am driving everyone crazy at my watering hole playing songs from DG soundtrack on jukebox over and over and over and over and over. :D

BlackWidow
01-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I am driving everyone crazy at my watering hole playing songs from DG soundtrack on jukebox over and over and over and over and over. :D

I LOVE IT!!!:nod:

JazmenFlowers
01-05-2007, 06:16 PM
It's a deal!

I'm all over that soundtrack too. I might even go on my lunch break. :lol:
don't go buy it. PM me.

I have the "highlights" version. if you want the deluxe edition, you're on your own. but maybe you'll share. :p

strandinthewind
01-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Jenifer Holiday's is still the benchmark - my lord that woman!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kC_u_q-iND0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kC_u_q-iND0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I cry at about 6:25 and thereafter - then the end

Your gonna love me!

Sheebus

I mean once in a million years a song is written like that - much less the delivery!

BlackWidow
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Jenifer Holiday's is still the benchmark - my lord that woman!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kC_u_q-iND0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kC_u_q-iND0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I cry at about 6:25 and thereafter - then the end

Your gonna love me!

Sheebus

I mean once in a million years a song is written like that - much less the delivery!

She is just heartbreaking!!!:distress:

Rickypt
01-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Anyone see J. Hudson on Letterman the other night? She's very charming and sang a kickass version of I Am Changing.

I also heard a rumor that Dreamgirls the musical might be coming to Vegas. The rumor made it sound like it would be with the cast from the movie, but that sounds impossible with their schedules.

BlackWidow
01-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Anyone see J. Hudson on Letterman the other night? She's very charming and sang a kickass version of I Am Changing.

I also heard a rumor that Dreamgirls the musical might be coming to Vegas. The rumor made it sound like it would be with the cast from the movie, but that sounds impossible with their schedules.

The Vegas cast will be Kim "Tooty" Fields as Effie!!!:D

Rickypt
01-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Okay, I now think Jake Gyllenhaal does the best "And I Am Telling You". :D

BlackWidow
01-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay, I now think Jake Gyllenhaal does the best "And I Am Telling You". :D

And where the hell did you see that????:shrug:

Rickypt
01-14-2007, 07:47 PM
And where the hell did you see that????:shrug:

Last night's SNL. Hopefully it will get on YouTube soon....fricking great.

BlackWidow
01-14-2007, 08:34 PM

We have it on TIVO..and are about to have dinner and watch it!!!:blob2:

BlackWidow
01-14-2007, 10:19 PM

He was great! I loves me some Jakie G!:p

mikeschmike
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
You knew the gays wouldn't let this thread die...:laugh:

Here's a good article from cnn:

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- Like Effie, the "Dreamgirls" character based in part on her life, Florence Ballard had a triumphant return to the stage after her fall from grace.

Singing at Ford Auditorium in Detroit on June 25, 1975, Ballard, a former member of the Supremes, shook off years of drinking and other troubles and put on a dynamic performance that drew wide acclaim and revived interest in her career.

"She was a wonderful singer," said Martha Reeves, Ballard's former Motown labelmate.

But unlike Effie, Florence Ballard's road to a comeback did not go much further than that night. In 1976, Ballard, one of the original Supremes, died of a heart attack at age 32, almost 10 years after she was kicked out of the legendary girl group.

While Diana Ross remains an international icon and Mary Wilson continues to perform nationwide, Ballard is known, if at all, as a tragic figure. But with the release of the movie "Dreamgirls," and Jennifer Hudson's Oscar-nominated performance in the role based on Ballard, Ballard's family is hoping it will provide a new opportunity to let the world know about the real Florence. (How do you think Hudson will do? Play our inside the envelope game.)

"I thought that Jennifer Hudson did a great job," Maxine Ballard, Florence's sister, said in an interview at her suburban Detroit home.

But she summarized the Effie character, which originated in the Broadway version of "Dreamgirls" in the early '80s, as "a very mild Florence Ballard because there would have been some slaps and some bops or whatever and somebody would have been picking themselves up off the floor.

"I'm just telling you how the real Florence Ballard was."

Maxine Ballard has penned a yet-to-be-released book titled "The True Story of Florence (Blondie) Ballard" (the nickname references the hair color she inherited from an Irish ancestor). Florence was the ninth of 15 children of Jesse and Lurlee Ballard. Her father, who worked for General Motors, played steel guitar, sang the blues and loved to tell stories to his kids. Florence, Maxine and most of the rest of the younger siblings grew up singing in the choir at a local Spiritualist church, Ballard said.

"She always had drive and passion about everything," Ballard said of her sister. "My father named her "The Flying Red Horse" because she couldn't sit still."

Florence was approached one day sitting on the steps of her home in a Detroit housing project by Milton Jenkins, the manager of a pre-Temptations outfit called the Primes. He was looking for an accompanying act, and he asked her to lead the Primettes.

Rounded out by Ross, Wilson and Barbara Martin, who quickly left the group, the Primettes became The Supremes, and made their debut on the Motown label in 1961. Ballard initially sang lead on at least some songs, but after sweet-sounding, glamorous Ross was given the lead spot, the group recorded five consecutive No. 1 singles from 1964-65, including classics like "Baby Love," "Where Did Our Love Go" and "Come See About Me."

Disagreements between the three friends, however, had become common, Ballard said. In 1967, with Florence Ballard struggling with her weight and alcohol, she was replaced with Cindy Birdsong.

"The word 'kicked out' sounds a little brutal," said Reeves, of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. "I saw them get to the point where they disagreed. I think it was mainly at the point when they put Diana Ross' name out front."

Ballard's ensuing years saw her give birth to twins Nicole and Michelle in 1968 and daughter Lisa in 1972. Her attempts to pursue a solo career fell flat, and she confronted problems with drinking, her marriage and the emotional trauma left over from being raped as a teenager by an acquaintance.

"Some friends that she thought were friends just weren't friends," Ballard said. "She bought instruments for bands, she bought fur coats for girlfriends of hers. When she got down and out and felt like she needed these people around her they weren't there."

Ballard said her sister, who fell into poverty, became consumed by her own anger.

"When she lived with me she tore up about 10 telephones of mine, throwing them against the wall," Ballard said. "She would drink, she would smash things against the wall or whatever out of anger that she felt. She felt betrayed by Motown and (label founder) Berry Gordy and she felt betrayed by (Ross and Wilson) because she felt like they should have stood up for her.

"But she realized I think years later that they couldn't do anything. What could they do?"

Ross left The Supremes to pursue her own solo superstardom in 1970, and the group eventually disbanded a few years later. After Ballard's death, some fans blamed her former bandmates for abandoning their friend, and Ross bore the brunt of the blame.

But Maxine Ballard said Ross quietly sent checks to help Florence's children, Wilson remained supportive over the years and both showed up in Detroit for Florence's funeral despite open animosity from some surviving family members. Wilson, whose book "Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme" was published in 1986, even agreed to sit down for an interview for the forthcoming book, she said.

"In the end, she still loved them like sisters and this is the message that she wanted me to deliver," Ballard said. "And this is something that I don't think (people) know."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

JazmenFlowers
02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
^^^
:lol: you know it!

I just read that J.Hud will be gracing the cover of Vogue. now, I love her, but she ain't no size 12 like they're saying. she's svelte, yes, but I'd say she's at least a 16.

mikeschmike
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
^^^

I just read that J.Hud will be gracing the cover of Vogue. now, I love her, but she ain't no size 12 like they're saying. she's svelte, yes, but I'd say she's at least a 16.

who the hell said she was a twelve? Anna Wintour's shades must have been acting up. 12, 16, 52 regular...I don't mind. She's a good looking woman with some serious talent.

JazmenFlowers
02-21-2007, 07:32 PM
who the hell said she was a twelve? Anna Wintour's shades must have been acting up. 12, 16, 52 regular...I don't mind. She's a good looking woman with some serious talent.
ITAWTC.

:wavey:

BlackWidow
02-21-2007, 09:39 PM
GO Jennifer!!! We just did her Oscar Nominee Basket!!

BlackWidow
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
^^^

Jenny Hud won her GOLD!!! YEA!!!:thumbsup:

Rickypt
02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I will get slammed for this, but I'm officially tired of JenniferHudsonmania. :nod:

BlackWidow
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I will get slammed for this, but I'm officially tired of JenniferHudsonmania. :nod:

Consider your ass Bitch slapped!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

mikeschmike
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM

I agree to a point. The hype around her is pretty old, but I love her a little more every time I hear her sing.

JazmenFlowers
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
let the slamming begin!

she is our new troop leader, dontcha know! :lol:

BlackWidow
02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
let the slamming begin!

she is our new troop leader, dontcha know! :lol:

She F'ing ROCKS!!!

Rickypt
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
She F'ing ROCKS!!!

You guys will move on to the next diva in six months. :wavey:

BlackWidow