PDA

View Full Version : A-N-N-A in the U-S-A

gldstwmn
12-15-2006, 06:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20061215/en_celeb_eo/e28cbb7b-3304-4336-abae-c51ae917bad0

Fri Dec 15, 9:56 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - A fat wad of cash has managed to do something that a paternity suit, an ex-boyfriend and a very angry lawyer couldn't: get Anna Nicole Smith back in the country.

The formerly zaftig Playboy Playmate left the extradition-exempt comfort of her Bahamian hideout to appear in a San Francisco court Friday morning, lawyer Ron Rale confirmed to E! Online, marking the former reality star's first time back in the U.S. since the birth of her daughter and death of her son in September.

Smith showed up at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to participate in mediation between a judge and the family of J. Howard Marshall II, her late octogenarian oil tycoon hubby, over her much-disputed share of his $1.6 billion estate.

Legal sidekick turned committed partner Howard K. Stern accompanied Smith to the proceedings, the latest in a contentious, and seemingly never-ending, legal battle—though he may now wish he'd stayed home.

Larry Birkhead, Smith's litigious ex-boyfriend, confirmed to E! Online that Stern was served with legal papers outside the courthouse for allegedly giving perjured statements in connection with Birkhead's paternity suit—yet another contentious and seemingly never-ending legal battle.

As for Smith, her is-she-or-isn't-she-entitled case finally made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court this year, and in May the high court justices reversed a federal appeals court decision, virtually reinstating the $88.5 million Smith was originally awarded back in 2002.

It's unknown what was brokered in Friday's closed-door court tête-Ã*-tête, though it's not the first time Smith's name has been featured on a docket this week.

On Wednesday, Birkhead was in court facing off with Smith's lawyers in his paternity case. The ex-paparazzo filed suit in October, alleging that he was the father of three-month-old Dannielynn, not self-proclaimed baby-daddy Stern.

Birkhead and his photo-op-friendly lawyer Debra Opri have demanded that Smith and her daughter return to the country and undergo drug and DNA testing.

While Smith and Stern arrived at the courthouse Friday morning, Birkhead said the couple left Dannielynn back in the Bahamas.

"I think it's awful funny that Anna Nicole can come in when she smelled money, but she couldn't come in to bring the baby in for a three-second paternity test," Birkhead told E! Online exclusively. "I think it's obvious what makes Anna Nicole's wheels turn."

Following Wednesday's hearing, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert A. Schneider is mulling whether to order Smith to undergo testing.

Schneider said he would issue a written ruling, which is expected to come early next week.

strandinthewind
12-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I think she had to come. It seems this was a court ordered thing :shrug: So, his comments on the coming for money are not really accurate in that she had no choice other than to dismiss her suit, which she has all but won.

gldstwmn
12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I didn't know she was engaged in mediation. Apparently, the family has decided to settle now that Pierce is gone.

irishgrl
12-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I didn't know she was engaged in mediation. Apparently, the family has decided to settle now that Pierce is gone.
I hope that family doesnt swindle her, but seeing as she's so good at looking out for her own interests, I guess I dont need to worry! As for this paternity thing, why is Larry so hellbent on claiming fatherhood of Anna's baby? whats in it for him?

strandinthewind
12-15-2006, 08:51 PM
The widow said she would rather die than give Anna one dime and her husband's death only steeled her further in her resolve.

As for Larry, he wants money - pure and simple.

irishgrl
12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
The widow said she would rather die than give Anna one dime and her husband's death only steeled her further in her resolve.

As for Larry, he wants money - pure and simple.
Oh, I thought the family wanted to work out a settlement? And Wait! ANNA is the Widow, right? SHE was married to the geezer when he kicked off....

strandinthewind
12-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh, I thought the family wanted to work out a settlement? And Wait! ANNA is the Widow, right? SHE was married to the geezer when he kicked off....

The geezer's son died and his widow is pressing on with the suit - to wit:

Family vows to battle Anna Nicole
E. Pierce Marshall's widow to take over as lead in next round in court
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:56 p.m. ET July 23, 2006
DALLAS - A month after the death of E. Pierce Marshall, who feuded for years with Anna Nicole Smith over his father's oil fortune, his family says they are more committed than ever in their legal battle against the former Playboy playmate.

"Nothing has changed from the family's standpoint as to how this case should end up and we will handle it as Pierce did, in his honor," the family told The Dallas Morning News in a written statement.

Marshall, the son of tycoon J. Howard Marshall II, died June 20 at age 67. His family said his death was caused by a brief and extremely aggressive infection.

Smith, a former stripper, married the family patriarch in 1994, when he was 89 and she was 26. He died a year later, launching the legal dispute that reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

A federal court in California awarded Smith $474 million in a complicated legal twist that began after she declared bankruptcy. That was later overturned.

Last March, Smith won another victory when the U.S. Supreme Court revived the case. The justices ruled that federal courts could have jurisdiction and told the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider her case.

Family friend and Houston attorney Rusty Hardin said the federal court soon will be notified that Elaine Marshall, E. Pierce Marshall's widow, is now the estate representative.

Kent L. Richland, one of Smith's attorneys, thought the change might lead to a settlement.

"Certainly, there is a fact that there will be a change in personalities involved," he said. "That opens up the possibility there will be a different attitude. Assets change hands. That is often a time when people want to access what is in their best interest."

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13997416/

irishgrl
12-15-2006, 08:59 PM
The geezer's son died and his widow is pressing on with the suit - to wit:

Family vows to battle Anna Nicole
E. Pierce Marshall's widow to take over as lead in next round in court
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:56 p.m. ET July 23, 2006
DALLAS - A month after the death of E. Pierce Marshall, who feuded for years with Anna Nicole Smith over his father's oil fortune, his family says they are more committed than ever in their legal battle against the former Playboy playmate.

"Nothing has changed from the family's standpoint as to how this case should end up and we will handle it as Pierce did, in his honor," the family told The Dallas Morning News in a written statement.

Marshall, the son of tycoon J. Howard Marshall II, died June 20 at age 67. His family said his death was caused by a brief and extremely aggressive infection.

Smith, a former stripper, married the family patriarch in 1994, when he was 89 and she was 26. He died a year later, launching the legal dispute that reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

A federal court in California awarded Smith $474 million in a complicated legal twist that began after she declared bankruptcy. That was later overturned.

Last March, Smith won another victory when the U.S. Supreme Court revived the case. The justices ruled that federal courts could have jurisdiction and told the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider her case.

Family friend and Houston attorney Rusty Hardin said the federal court soon will be notified that Elaine Marshall, E. Pierce Marshall's widow, is now the estate representative.

Kent L. Richland, one of Smith's attorneys, thought the change might lead to a settlement.

"Certainly, there is a fact that there will be a change in personalities involved," he said. "That opens up the possibility there will be a different attitude. Assets change hands. That is often a time when people want to access what is in their best interest."

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13997416/
so you meant the SON'S widow, gotcha :nod:

gldstwmn
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM

Then why are her attorneys engaged in mediation?

irishgrl
12-15-2006, 11:59 PM
my guess is, Anna is in the better bargaining position. Especially with the recent Supreme Court decision.

gldstwmn
12-16-2006, 12:19 AM
my guess is, Anna is in the better bargaining position. Especially with the recent Supreme Court decision.

I meant Pierce Marshall's wife. Why are her attoneys mediating with Anna's if they've no intention of settling?

irishgrl
12-16-2006, 12:20 AM
I meant Pierce Marshall's wife. Why are her attoneys mediating with Anna's if they've no intention of settling?
actually, that is a good question.........

DavidMn
12-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Brings new meaning to the term Honey I'm Home.:lol:

strandinthewind
12-16-2006, 05:18 PM

It likely is required under the court's rules - this has been a trend for a long time.

strandinthewind
12-16-2006, 05:20 PM

She is is a very good position as she has won before on the merits in this jurisdiction, the appealing side lost their procedural appeal, etc.