PDA

View Full Version : John Grisham vs. Stephen King

Musicman408
12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok, so of these 2 authors, which one do you prefer? I am going to start reading some Stephen King tomorrow, as I am going to buy It at the bookstore..... What are your alls fave works by these guys and such? Feel free to discuss...:nod:

Much Love,
Ethan

DavidMn
12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Easily Stephen King here.

DrummerDeanna
12-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Stephen King. I have never been able to get into Grisham's stuff at. all.

DavidMn
12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Stephen King. I have never been able to get into Grisham's stuff at. all.I thought Tom Cruise was pretty good in the movie version of The Firm though.

DrummerDeanna
12-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I thought Tom Cruise was pretty good in the movie version of The Firm though.

lol...I can't get into the films of his stuff either :shrug: I tried watching The Firm and Pelican Brief (that was Grisham, right?) and nothing...couldn't get into it - maybe now that I'm a bit older....

Oh but seeing the Firm would go directly against my "NO TOM CRUISE" rule :p

JamieSPC
12-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Stephen King. Definitely.

"The Stand" is one of my favorite books ever—EVER! I love it. Highly recommended.

~Jamie

ryan8472
12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Grisham. I love his books. :nod:

A Painted House is one of my favs evar.

Musicman408
12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
What Stephen King Book would you fans reccommend I start of reading???? Is his style really verbose, or what??/ Also, what do you all think of the long walk??? It is a little shorter than IT, so maybe I should start with that....

Much Love,
Ethan

goldustsongbird
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
What Stephen King Book would you fans reccommend I start of reading???? Is his style really verbose, or what??/ Also, what do you all think of the long walk??? It is a little shorter than IT, so maybe I should start with that....

Much Love,
Ethan

Start off with his earlier work, naturally. Salems Lot, Carrie, The Shining, Cujo... Misery.... The Shining is a favourite of mine, since it's the first SK book I ever picked up.

Stay away from The Tommyknockers, whatever you do. It's a waste of time. Most of his stuff after that, like Needful Things and Gerald's Game aren't that great, either. :shrug:

DrummerDeanna
12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I read Pet Cemetary when I was in High School - really liked that...Nightmares and Dreamscapes (short stories) was pretty good as well..

The Stand has always been on my list, but I'venever gotten around to actually reading it :shrug:

goldustsongbird
12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I read Pet Cemetary when I was in High School - really liked that...Nightmares and Dreamscapes (short stories) was pretty good as well..

The Stand has always been on my list, but I'venever gotten around to actually reading it :shrug:

Was Nightmares & Dreamscapes the one with the illustrations? I know we have that. Forgot to mention Pet Sematary, too. Loved it, but the movie... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DrummerDeanna
12-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Was Nightmares & Dreamscapes the one with the illustrations? I know we have that. Forgot to mention Pet Sematary, too. Loved it, but the movie... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Nightmare and Dreamscapes had no illustrations that I can recall...and the only story I remember was one that I think was called Rock and Roll Heaven - it was way cool...

Yeah, Pet Cemetary the movie was awful...not as bad as Sleepwalkers, but still pretty bad.

goldustsongbird
12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
My Nightmare and Dreamscapes had no illustrations that I can recall...and the only story I remember was one that I think was called Rock and Roll Heaven - it was way cool...

Yeah, Pet Cemetary the movie was awful...not as bad as Sleepwalkers, but still pretty bad.

I just checked... Cycle of the Wolf was the one I was thinking of.

DrummerDeanna
12-14-2006, 05:26 PM
I just checked... Cycle of the Wolf was the one I was thinking of.

Ah. I've never even heard of that one :laugh: I'm not terribly familiar with his stuff - just the big stuff.

goldustsongbird
12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Ah. I've never even heard of that one :laugh: I'm not terribly familiar with his stuff - just the big stuff.

Yeah, I don't think it's as well known as his other work. I don't even know why we have it. :p I've skimmed through it, but that's about it. The only thing I remembered about it was the artwork.

Musicman408
12-14-2006, 09:23 PM
What do you all think of the Long Walk????

Much Love,
Ethan

Musicman408
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Ummmm yall??? Can I get some feedback????:laugh:

Much Love,
Ethan

DrummerDeanna
12-15-2006, 07:10 PM
You can always read reviews of it on Amazon.com....:nod:

Musicman408
12-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Last night you guys, I bought Salem's Lot, and I can't wait to start.......

For those of your who have read some SK stuff, which one in your opinion is the scariest?????

Much Love,
Ethan

SortaSavageLike
12-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Stephen King's legal novels usually stunk. :laugh:

Musicman408
12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I didn't know stephen king wrote legal novels:laugh:

I guess you learn something new everyday..........
:nod:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
12-16-2006, 12:02 PM

For those of your who have read some SK stuff, which one in your opinion is the scariest?????

Much Love,
Ethan

Why don't you just start reading one rather than waiting for everyone elses opinions?

DrummerDeanna
12-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Why don't you just start reading one rather than waiting for everyone elses opinions?

Fantastic advice. Or, once again, go to Amazon.com or something and read some reviews on the books you're intersted in. If you can figure out the Ledge you can figure out Amazon.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
12-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Fantastic advice. Or, once again, go to Amazon.com or something and read some reviews on the books you're intersted in. If you can figure out the Ledge you can figure out Amazon.

:nod: :xoxo:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
12-16-2006, 12:18 PM

Just to add.. Ethan has been asking what book to read since the beginning of December! I would have read 2 by now. Just make the choice and read one already!

DrummerDeanna
12-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Just to add.. Ethan has been asking what book to read since the beginning of December! I would have read 2 by now. Just make the choice and read one already!

I know! I noticed that - in three different threads no less- all asking about Stephen King.

People have given good input (or so I thought) yet the same question keeps being asked....which is why I finally suggested going to Amazon - since obviously we're not giving him the answers he wants.

Musicman408
12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Guys, I have already purchased one. If you don't like what I have to say, then please don't post in my thread and diss me, I don't appreciate it, as I am sure you wouldn't if I did the same to you...... I have done nothing wrong......

Rickypt
12-16-2006, 03:18 PM

Much Love,
Ethan

The Shining, for sure.

irishgrl
12-16-2006, 03:30 PM
meh. Steven King is too predictable for me. what about that character who wrote Red Dragon, and Silence of the Lambs?

DrummerDeanna
12-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Guys, I have already purchased one. If you don't like what I have to say, then please don't post in my thread and diss me, I don't appreciate it, as I am sure you wouldn't if I did the same to you...... I have done nothing wrong......

:rolleyes: Chill out - and do NOT "scold" me - for I have been nothing but a defender of yours.....but we have asked you repeatedly to keep the repetition down a bit - and yes, you may have purchased one - but you keep asking the same questions over and over - we're giving you other options of where to find answers :shrug:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
12-16-2006, 04:39 PM
:rolleyes: Chill out - and do NOT "scold" me - for I have been nothing but a defender of yours.....but we have asked you repeatedly to keep the repetition down a bit - and yes, you may have purchased one - but you keep asking the same questions over and over - we're giving you other options of where to find answers :shrug:

What she said :nod:

Musicman408
12-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Ok you all, I am sorry about all of the questions..... I have registered at the Stephen King message board, so we can stop talking about it...:nod:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
We stopped talking about it 3 days ago!