PDA

View Full Version : unissued Fleetwood Mac Compilation

Don Brown
11-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help? I recently acquired an un-issued FM Compilation LP, which includes 2 Takes of "Need Your Love So Bad". I've never seen this particular Track Listing before on any of their Compilations, and have clearly never seen another FM LP with more than one Take included. It came with a clear cellophane Sleeve (with the Track Listing written in pen), and a CBS Label Blank. The information on the Label states that Mike Vernon is the Producer, Mike Ross the Engineer, and the date: 3rd November, 1968 is given. The weird thing is... it is pressed on Vinyl (like a Test Pressing) but has a metal core in the center (like an Acetate). I have never seen one of these before, and haven't been able to find anyone who knows anything about it. I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea what this is. Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Don

dansven
11-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Don! :wavey:

I have never heard about this before... do you recognize the two versions as any of those released on the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" box set?

Could it be that one of them is that US version with Peter only overdubbing guitar and vocal..? They were planning to release it in the US, but as far as I can remember, nothing happened.

Daniel

bretonbanquet
11-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Could it be a sort of preliminary version of "Pious Bird" or "English Rose"? How close is the track listing on your record to their track listings? The date might suggest that it was an early idea for one of those albums.

You sure find some interesting stuff :blob2:

Don Brown
11-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks to you both, for your input. You have offered some viable scenarios.

I haven't listened to the Album yet for comparison to the Complete BH Sessions, because I always transcribe this sort of thing onto another format first, so that it can be played without risking wear &/ or damage to the original Disk. I plan to get to that soon. But for now, here is the Track Listing... Side A: Albatross, Black Magic Woman, Worried Dream, The Sun Is Shining, Hold My Baby. Side B: Like Crying, Love That Woman, Jigsaw Puzzle Blues, Need Your Love So Bad - Take 1, Need Your Love So Bad - Take 2.

I don't yet know what "Hold My Baby" is - perhaps a version of "I Held My Baby Last Night". I will have to wait and see.

A version of "Like Crying" was recorded for "Then Play On" in '69, but was performed earlier (at least once) for a 'BBC Radio 1' Broadcast on Oct. 9, 1968(according to J.R. Greaves Sessionography). Because of the date on the Label, this one has to pre-date "TPO" Sessions. Perhaps it's a live version. Again, I will have to wait and see.

I will let you know what I find when I play the Album.

Any other thoughts / ideas are welcomed.

Cheers, Don

wetcamelfood
11-25-2006, 01:50 PM
A version of "Like Crying" was recorded for "Then Play On" in '69, but was performed earlier (at least once) for a 'BBC Radio 1' Broadcast on Oct. 9, 1968(according to J.R. Greaves Sessionography). Because of the date on the Label, this one has to pre-date "TPO" Sessions. Perhaps it's a live version.

Could be the Like Crying that eventually showed up on the CBHS box? :)

John

dansven
11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the info!

An early version of "Like Crying" appears on disc 3 of the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" box set.. I'm thinking maybe it could be that one (or another take from the same session), since all the other songs are from the Blue Horizon era.

dansven
11-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Hehe you beat me there with 2 minutes, John! :laugh:

Don Brown
11-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info!

An early version of "Like Crying" appears on disc 3 of the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" box set.. I'm thinking maybe it could be that one (or another take from the same session), since all the other songs are from the Blue Horizon era.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Yeah you guys are probably right. I never even thought to check the Track Listing on the Complete BH Sessions Box.

When I get the transcription done, I will compare it to those Takes.

Cheers, Don

By the way, I don't know why I always refer to R.J. Greaves Sessionography. I should be looking at Mario's; his is far more complete.

Cheers, Don

bretonbanquet
11-25-2006, 06:43 PM
There's also another early version of "Like Crying" on the "Live at the BBC" 2CD set (listed as "Like Crying Like Dying", which is different to the CBHS set version. Maybe it's that one? :shrug: