PDA

View Full Version : Green et al in Netherlands 1969

zoork_1
09-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Humble question - does anybody have information (dates, set lists, etc.) on two or possibly more shows in Netherlands 1969? I’ve got a number of songs tagged as either Concertgebouw The Hague 1969-02-28 or Concertgebouw Amsterdam, 1969-03-01. However, I suspect most of them are wrong labelled and would really appreciate some help to sort this out...

//Michel

Wouter Vuijk
09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Humble question - does anybody have information (dates, set lists, etc.) on two or possibly more shows in Netherlands 1969? I’ve got a number of songs tagged as either Concertgebouw The Hague 1969-02-28 or Concertgebouw Amsterdam, 1969-03-01. However, I suspect most of them are wrong labelled and would really appreciate some help to sort this out...

//Michel

As for Amsterdam, here's the poster. It clearly mentions 28 february. As for The Hague, I'm almost sure that has taken place on april 20 1969.
Not sure about the complete setlists, but I have recordings as follows:
FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE IN HOLLAND

Amsterdam (28-02-1969)

1. Intro
* 2. Merry go round
* 3. One sided love
* 4. Dust my broom
* 5. Got to move
* 6. Green thoughts
* 7. Sugar mama
* 8. Can’t hold out
9. Tallahassie Lassie

Den Haag (20-04-1969?)

10. Intro
11. One sided love
* 12. Stop messin’ round
* 13. San Ho Zay
* 14. Albatross
15. Tallahassie Lassie
* 16. Blue suede shoes
17. Teenage darlin’ (bass)
18. Twist and shout

* Released as “Live in Amsterdam” and/or “Roughage 69”

Wouter Vuijk
09-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Just realised I forgot to mention that they played in Rotterdam a few days before or after The Hague. I saw them in Rotterdam and only have a vivid memory of them playing Green Manalishi, and seeing little Jeremy hidden behind his huge slide guitar and also playing the piano. Can't recall the songs they played.:confused:
I moved to a town called Groningen in 1971. People over here told me about them playing at the "Korenbeurs". The stage manager shut down the "electricical" (as Lisa Douglas from Green Acres would say) because of either the noise or the fact that at 24.00 the place had to shut down. :distress: I'd have to ask about the reason.
:wavey:

sharksfan2000
09-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Wouter, if you saw the band performing "The Green Manalishi", wouldn't it have been a later show? I don't believe Peter Green wrote that song until late '69. The first live performance I know of was in November 1969.

BklynBlue
09-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I've always had doubts as to the accuracy of the April 20th date given for second show - the set list most definitely places the show in 1969, and we know that they toured Scandinavia for eleven days at the end of March 1969 with them back in England by the latest April 15th, when Green played bass on a couple of numbers for Duster Bennett's live LP.
Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to include a trip to Netherlands around the same time period, rather than make the trip for this one show, even if there were others we do not know about?
April 22nd was the first night of their series of shows opening for B. B. King on his first tour of England. Why cut it that close? It would make more sense if the show was actually from March.
As to the set list, the bootleg that I have also lists "Teenage Darling" yet it is not on the disc - the first live version that I know of is from January 2nd 1970 at the Fillmore West. Also, "Twist and Shout" is less than a minute in length, hardly worth mentioning other than that number too would not be heard again on bootleg until January 4th 1970 at the Fillmore West.
Coincidence? Possibly, but it seems more likely to me that those numbers were not part of the show the rest of the numbers were taken from.
If anyone actually has a copy of the bootleg with "Teenage Darling" on it, I would love to hear about it and how it compares with the version from the Fillmore West.

zoork_1
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=Wouter Vuijk;568629]As for Amsterdam, here's the poster. It clearly mentions 28 february. As for The Hague, I'm almost sure that has taken place on april 20 1969.

Tanks Wouter (and others) for answering. Maybe we'll find out about Hague some day... Another question; In Vienna Austria 1970-03-25 P Green appears to play a Fender Stratocaster, at least on the "Apache" part. I've been playing both Les Pauls and Strats for at least 20 years so I guess I should know. (On the other hand I've been wrong before...) Do you or anyone else know if he used Strats in other shows? I know he used one on video clips from studio out takes on Need Your Love So Bad, but I'm reflecting up on live gigs.

Dogon
09-12-2006, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=zoork_1;569921... Another question; In Vienna Austria 1970-03-25 P Green appears to play a Fender Stratocaster, at least on the "Apache" part. I've been playing both Les Pauls and Strats for at least 20 years so I guess I should know. (On the other hand I've been wrong before...) Do you or anyone else know if he used Strats in other shows? I know he used one on video clips from studio out takes on Need Your Love So Bad, but I'm reflecting up on live gigs.[/QUOTE]

That's interresting, I've never heard of him using any other instrument than his Les Paul and the 6-string Fender bass (which he used on the solo part of his live performances of Green Manalishi during live shows towards the end of his FM career). I seem to remember seeing a picture of Peter with a National Steel Guitar in his hands somewhere, but I don't remember where or when (could it be in the booklet from Vaudeville Years or Live at the BBC that I've seen it?).
I saw their concert in Stockholm Sweden one week after the Vienna concert and it would be nice to compare the setlists. Do you have one, or perhaps even information on how to obtain a copy of the recording from that concert?
Is there a released recording or is it a bootleg in circulation?

zoork_1
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I've always had doubts as to the accuracy of the April 20th date given for second show - the set list most definitely places the show in 1969, and we know that they toured Scandinavia for eleven days at the end of March 1969 with them back in England by the latest April 15th, when Green played bass on a couple of numbers for Duster Bennett's live LP.
Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to include a trip to Netherlands around the same time period, rather than make the trip for this one show, even if there were others we do not know about?
April 22nd was the first night of their series of shows opening for B. B. King on his first tour of England. Why cut it that close? It would make more sense if the show was actually from March.

March 1 1969 was apparently incorrect suggested (on a collectors hompage) as the date for the show at Concertgebouw Amsterdam. Could this possibly be the date for Concertgebouw Hague? (One of the gaps in The Fleetwoodmac.net tour book is between February 25 Bournemouth Ritz and March Bristol University - March 6 Lafayette, Wolverhampton Club.)

//Michel

zoork_1
09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Dogon,
Look for a message including a list... :-)

//Michel

Mari
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
haha, with Cuby & the Blizzards? cool. And, living in Groningen for 6 years, never knew the Korenbeurs used to be a concert hall? Interesting. I do know the mac played in Jazzcafé de Spiegel, but that was in 1994/5 (also before I lived here, ah..)
thanks for the stories!

Wouter Vuijk
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
haha, with Cuby & the Blizzards? cool. And, living in Groningen for 6 years, never knew the Korenbeurs used to be a concert hall? Interesting. I do know the mac played in Jazzcafé de Spiegel, but that was in 1994/5 (also before I lived here, ah..)
thanks for the stories!
I saw Cuby & the Blizzards e few weeks ago in Drachten. Could have spent my time a lot better.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
On the other hand, Kaz Lux was opening the show. His voice is still awesome

zoork_1
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
thanks for the stories!

Korenbeurs*, concertgebouw, Jazzcafé de Spiegel, stories……? I was aiming at dates for the Amsterdam and/or Hague shows. And sorry, I didn’t know Hague had no “concertgebouw”. By the way I don’t know if this poster is familiar or not but it’s claimed to be 1969.

*Saturday March 1 1969 according to a poster at fmlegacy.com

Dogon
09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes, April 1 was a Tuesday in 1969.
Thanks zoork_1, now we've a set the date for the Stockholm spring concert. Think I have parts of the setlist somewhere. I'll check it out during the weekend.

Wouter Vuijk
09-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes, April 1 was a Tuesday in 1969.
Thanks zoork_1, now we've a set the date for the Stockholm spring concert. Think I have parts of the setlist somewhere. I'll check it out during the weekend.

That would be nice, I have a recording presumably Stockholm april 1, 1970. Here are the tracks (2CD):
Disc 1:
1. Foxtrot instrumental (4.14)
2. Underway (15.45)
3. Rolling man (8.42)
4. World in harmony (3.49)
5. Only you (4.09)
6. Madison blues (3.23)
7. My baby's gone (4.19)
8. Instrumental improvisation (3.39)
9. I've got a mind to give up living (8.00)
10. The green manalishi (19.58)

Disc 2:
1. Coming your way (10.03)
2. Loving kind (3.21)
3. Stranger blues (5.07)
4. Tiger (4.06)
5. Albatross (3.43)
6. Rattlesnake shake (23.10)
7. Twist and shout (14.09)

Perhaps you can compare with your setlist?
On the other hand, Sharksfan pointed out that Peter didn't write Manalishi until late 1969.... By coincidence they played Stockholm april 1 on two consecutive years (could be a joke, april fool:D )?

librax2
09-16-2006, 10:08 AM
How does one get a copy of this recording? Is it a bootleg?

Dogon
09-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Congratulations Wouter Wuijk, it is definitly the Stockholm April 1, 1970 concert and you also have got the complete show there!

zoork_1
09-17-2006, 04:55 AM
How does one get a copy of this recording? Is it a bootleg?

Hi librax2,
Yes, it is a bootleg. If you’re not in the trading swamp you’ll have to find a generous collector (or get in to it yourself), to get it….. ;.)

librax2
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Guess that leaves me out then. I know nothing about swamps

Dogon
09-19-2006, 04:43 AM
As said before, it is the complete setlist for the Stockholm April 1, 1970, concert you have got there.
After some digging I found an incomplete setlist for what is supposed to be the Stockholm April 1, 1969, concert:
1. Like It this Way
2. All Over Again
3. Great Balls of Fire
4. Need Your Love So Bad
5. Tutti Frutti
6. Before The Beginning
7. My Babe
8. Jumping At Shadows
9. Stop Messin’ Around
10. Coming Your Way

I'm sure they played more songs than that. Anyone who can complete the list?

That would be nice, I have a recording presumably Stockholm april 1, 1970. Here are the tracks (2CD):
Disc 1:
1. Foxtrot instrumental (4.14)
2. Underway (15.45)
3. Rolling man (8.42)
4. World in harmony (3.49)
5. Only you (4.09)
6. Madison blues (3.23)
7. My baby's gone (4.19)
8. Instrumental improvisation (3.39)
9. I've got a mind to give up living (8.00)
10. The green manalishi (19.58)

Disc 2:
1. Coming your way (10.03)
2. Loving kind (3.21)
3. Stranger blues (5.07)
4. Tiger (4.06)
5. Albatross (3.43)
6. Rattlesnake shake (23.10)
7. Twist and shout (14.09)

Perhaps you can compare with your setlist?
On the other hand, Sharksfan pointed out that Peter didn't write Manalishi until late 1969.... By coincidence they played Stockholm april 1 on two consecutive years (could be a joke, april fool:D )?

sharksfan2000
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
As said before, it is the complete setlist for the Stockholm April 1, 1970, concert you have got there.
After some digging I found an incomplete setlist for what is supposed to be the Stockholm April 1, 1969, concert:
1. Like It this Way
2. All Over Again
3. Great Balls of Fire
4. Need Your Love So Bad
5. Tutti Frutti
6. Before The Beginning
7. My Babe
8. Jumping At Shadows
9. Stop Messin’ Around
10. Coming Your Way

I'm sure they played more songs than that. Anyone who can complete the list?

I've seen this tracklisting that's supposed to be from 1 April 1969 too, though I have not heard this show. I suspect the last three tracks listed may be from a different show, as there are two other tracks that seem to be from the same recording that come after "Coming Your Way" - "All Over Again" and "Rollin' Man" (I do have those five). Not likely they would have played "All Over Again" twice during one show.

As you mention, that looks like an incomplete show but it may be all that survives. The track order may not be the original one either.....hard to say for sure without hearing the recording though.

Dogon
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I've seen this tracklisting that's supposed to be from 1 April 1969 too, though I have not heard this show. I suspect the last three tracks listed may be from a different show, as there are two other tracks that seem to be from the same recording that come after "Coming Your Way" - "All Over Again" and "Rollin' Man" (I do have those five). Not likely they would have played "All Over Again" twice during one show.

As you mention that looks like an incomplete show but it may be all that survives. The track order may not be the original one either.....hard to say for sure without hearing the recording though.

I have seen, and heard, a tracklisting/tape which starts with the last three of my previous list ("JAS", "SMA" and "CYW") and continues with "All Over Again" and "Rolling Man" but those two tracks comes from the April 1, 1970, concert.
This tape, which really is a mixture of performances in Sweden, continues with "San Ho Say" and "I'm So Lonely" (="Without You") from the Golden Circle concert November (17?) 1968.

sharksfan2000
09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I have seen, and heard, a tracklisting/tape which starts with the last three of my previous list ("JAS", "SMA" and "CYW") and continues with "All Over Again" and "Rolling Man" but those two tracks comes from the April 1, 1970, concert.
This tape, which really is a mixture of performances in Sweden, continues with "San Ho Say" and "I'm So Lonely" (="Without You") from the Golden Circle concert November (17?) 1968.

Thanks for the info, Dogon. I'll have to compare "All Over Again" and "Rollin' Man" to the 1 April 1970 recording. I've seen those five tracks listed as being from the 4 November '69 show but I don't believe that's correct.

zoork_1
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM

Tanks for coming up with a potential setlist for 1969-04-01. When it comes to Golden Circle I noticed a poster indicating that they played Falkoner Centret Copenhagen, Denmark 1968-11-17. All these uncertain dates and venues really makes things hard...
By the way, it's someting strange about the 1968 "Golden Circle" concert (this is one of my favorites). Playing is great but something is missing, poosibly songs, and I can't hear Spencer anywhere (on the other hand I've played a lot of loud Marshall amps during the years.....).