PDA

View Full Version : Live cover of "The World Keep On Turning"

nicepace
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I have heard Graham Parker perform this Peter Green song twice. Graham Parker is a British singer/songwriter (now living in America) who had a hit album in the late '70s called 'Squeezing Out Sparks' by Graham Parker and the Rumour. He is still recording and performing, and is a real favorite of mine. Both performances of "The World Keep On Turning" were in solo shows, just Graham and electric guitar. He did an amazing job with the song -- sounded just like Greeny.

I love it when one of my favorites covers a song by another of my favorites.

Has anyone else heard any live covers of Peter Green songs or other pre-Rumours FM songs?

-Joanne (fan since 1974)

chiliD
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I always liked Graham Parker...his take on a PG tune must be great!

ZZ Top did "Rattlesnake Shake" during their 1976 "WORLDWIDE TEXAS" tour, didn't actually SEE them play it, but one of the LA radio stations simulcast their Anaheim Stadium show, so I heard it live, even though I wasn't at the show.

Tom Petty & Heartbreakers had/have "Oh Well" in their set this tour.

A band I used to be in about 25 years ago covered "Bermuda Triangle". My current band covers "I Loved Another Woman" & "Stop Messin' Round".

sharksfan2000
08-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Aerosmith also used to perform "Rattlesnake Shake" live, and more recently did "Stop Messin' Round".

And I seem to remember Santana doing "Black Magic Woman" :)

chiliD
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
And I seem to remember Santana doing "Black Magic Woman" :)
:eek: Santana?!?! "Black Magic Woman"?!?!? REALLY? :eek:

:lol:

Of course, Rick Vito has covered "Homework" (a cover of a cover of a cover), "I Loved Another Woman", "Rattlesnake Shake", & "Albatross", too.

J. Geils Band also covered "Homework" (a cover of a cover of a cover of a cover)

The Melvins covered "Green Manalishi" (as did Judas Priest)

And, the odder than odd cover of Bob Welch's "Hypnotized" by the Pointer Sisters.

Annie McLoone (who would later join Walter Egan's "Professional Band") recorded a cover of Christine McVie's Bare Trees tune "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love".

There's also the plethora of covers of "Oh Well" by (to name just a handful):
The Black Crowes w/Jimmy Page
Joe Jackson
Sonny Landreth
Kenny Wayne Shepard (yuck! The only version of "Oh Well" I really dislike)
Billy Burnette (a really cool "rockabilly-esque" arrangement)
Bob Welch (one of the rare covers that includes Part 2)

Ottmar Leibert covered "Albatross".

The Beatles bastardized "Albatross" by turning it into "Sun King" on the Abbey Road album.

The Yardbirds covered the Mystery To Me tune "For Your Love"...wait, that was the other way around. :o :D

ex-Ultravox guitarist Midge Ure covered "Man Of The World" (as did Moody Blues guitarist Justin Hayward)

Of course, I'm not including the covers from the Rattlesnake Guitar: The Music Of Peter Green tribute album.

RoJo
08-31-2006, 01:38 AM
"World keep on turning" was also the B-side of the "Where in the world" single by BBM (Bruce Baker Moore). Beside the usual suspects like Rick Vito, Bernie Marden, Snowy White,and Gary Moore who always seem to have some Greenie stuff in their live set I found a good cover of "Green Manalishi" on the recent (very good!) live album of the Ian Parker Band (UK) called "Whilst the Wind"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whilst-Wind/dp/B0009HL8JQ/sr=1-1/qid=1157006028/ref=sr_1_1/026-1175495-2411638?ie=UTF8&s=music
RoJo

Peestie
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Bernie Marden

Very cool. Bernie is one of my favourites. Early Whitesnake is great, but I didn't know Bernie covered Greenie stuff! I've seen very little stuff on his solo projects other than M3. What ones does he normally do?

As for what live covers I've seen. It's only Green Manilishi when I went to see Judas Priest a year and a half ago. I'd heard the JP version before the FM one and while I thought it was good I never loved it. Then I heard the original and it is just so much better! Way more feeling and much darker mood.

RoJo
09-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Very cool. Bernie is one of my favourites. Early Whitesnake is great, but I didn't know Bernie covered Greenie stuff! I've seen very little stuff on his solo projects other than M3. What ones does he normally do?

Beside M3 Bernie is also gigging and recording in the Blues field. His latestest releases are "Big Boy Blue" and "Bid Boy Blue Live at the Granary". They are available from his web site http://www.berniemarsden.com. A cover of "Loved another Woman" is included in both. Don't be surprised, it's a female vocalist singing. But as soon I got used to it I liked these versions very much.

His 1994 PG tribute album "Green and Blues" contains a lot of Mac covers and was discussed some times earlier on this board.

Also the Moody Marsden Band had Greenie covers. Unfortunatly the CDs are out of print. But the new Bernie Marsden sampler "Blues 'n' Scales" contains some Moody Marsden material including the PG covers "Merry Go Round" (from "Dog & Dust Bin" Album) and "Oh Well" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-n-Scales-a-Snakemans-Odyssey-1970-2005/dp/tracks/B000E6ET9S/ref=dp_tracks_all_2/026-7308037-3475623?ie=UTF8#disc_2
If you like early Whitesnake and FM its worth to check out!

RoJo

Peestie
09-08-2006, 05:13 AM
If you like early Whitesnake and FM its worth to check out!

RoJo

I certainly will be. Thanks very much for all the info!