PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Hates Computers

David
05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
"I'm so against it. I don't have a computer. I don't have a cell phone. I don't have an iPod. I don't like it. I don't like it. ... I want to take the computer & throw it out the window. ... I hate it. ... I think it's causing people to be very closed & very unfriendly & very unsocial ... it creeps me out."

-- Stevie Nicks (Melbourne interview with Nui TeKoha, May 15, 2006)

The people who argue with me when I say Stevie hates computers might want to read this quote!

BTFLCHLD
05-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I guess she wants to throw the imaginary one out the window. :wavey:

jkmaletic
05-22-2006, 11:14 PM
The Gemini that she is speaks again-

Didn't she just hand out a bunch of Ipods?? :cool: She's so funny...

catinthedark
05-22-2006, 11:45 PM
"I'm so against it. I don't have a computer. I don't have a cell phone. I don't have an iPod. I don't like it. I don't like it. ... I want to take the computer & throw it out the window. ... I hate it. ... I think it's causing people to be very closed & very unfriendly & very unsocial ... it creeps me out."

-- Stevie Nicks (Melbourne interview with Nui TeKoha, May 15, 2006)

The people who argue with me when I say Stevie hates computers might want to read this quote!

i don't buy it. she's full of crap. she emails. she has talked about that, as have the people (like christine!) with whom she emails. there's no way she doesn't have a computer. i think, though i could be remembering wrongly, she was talking specifically about her niece on her computer when she said the part about taking it and throwing it out the window. as for the ipods... yeah, gimme a break. she crows on and on about them when she's giving them to vets. how does she know how great they are if she doesn't have one (or if she's never used one)? she said at one point she loaded all her albums onto them. she doesn't have one? riiight. and no cell phone? i'm not even going to dignify that one with an answer.

what a load of crap.

sparky
05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
i don't buy it. she's full of crap. she emails. she has talked about that, as have the people (like christine!) with whom she emails. there's no way she doesn't have a computer. i think, though i could be remembering wrongly, she was talking specifically about her niece on her computer when she said the part about taking it and throwing it out the window. as for the ipods... yeah, gimme a break. she crows on and on about them when she's giving them to vets. how does she know how great they are if she doesn't have one (or if she's never used one)? she said at one point she loaded all her albums onto them. she doesn't have one? riiight. and no cell phone? i'm not even going to dignify that one with an answer.

what a load of crap.

Cat ? Marry me.

gldstwmn
05-22-2006, 11:56 PM
What the hell could she have against an iPod?

estranged4life
05-23-2006, 12:09 AM
after reading Stevie's view on computers I get the mental image of Lindsey Buckingham saying "Get that schizophrenic bitch away from me..."

paleshadow
05-23-2006, 12:13 AM
What the hell could she have against an iPod?

"Question 134 - from Glenda Scott in Wartburg TN

Stevie,
I am a huge fan and I have seen you many times in concert. You are a huge influence on my life as well as any one who has ever heard your truly magical voice. My question is where can we as fans donate money to your IPOD for the soldiers fund. I think this is a wonderful thing and I really would like you to help you in this worthwhile endeavor.
Thanks and you are terrific!!!!!
Glenda

Stevie's answer:

Thank you Glenda, the Soldier’s iPod program is something very dear to me. We are in the process of establishing a non-profit foundation for people like yourself to make donations to. When we are up and running I will have all of the information posted on the Nicksfix."

Stevie would be the WORST spokesperson for any product because she is constantly contradicting herself.

Johnny Stew
05-23-2006, 12:16 AM
How odd is it that Stevie would do an interview with a Melbourne journalist that was published just a week ago, when that tour was finished over two months ago? Instead, it seems to be a paraphrasing of this earlier interview (the 15th must've been a slow news day)....

No hi-tech for Nicks
Wednesday, 02 November 2005
By Claire Sutherland and Nui Te Koha
Herald Sun (Australia)

Fleetwood Mac rock chick Stevie Nicks has revealed that she despises, and refuses to join, the computer age.

Nicks, 57, says computer games, text messaging and mobile phones have turned the new generation into social morons.

"I don't have a computer, I don't have a cellphone and I don't have an iPod," Nicks tells The Back Room.

"I don't like them."

Nicks says her 14-year-old niece is a teen caught in a technology trap.

"She is the closest thing I have to a daughter and I hate it when she's slumped over her computer.

"I'll ask her something, and she'll raise her hand: 'Excuse me, I'm busy!' I hate that," Nicks says.

"That's the moment I want to take the computer, throw it out the window, and slap her.

"And I tell her: 'You and your friends have no social skills, you don't know how to talk to anybody because you're always text messaging, you burn your eyes and hump your back playing these stupid computer games.
Don't you want to stand tall, and be beautiful, and have something to say? You won't if you're slumped over that box!'"

Nicks, who wrote her biggest tunes, including Dreams, on cassette, acknowledges the wonders of the world wide web.

"If this new wave had stayed the information superhighway, I would have been happy.

"Gosh, doesn't life fly by fast enough without wanting to sit in a dark room with a monitor and keyboard? It creeps me out."

But why doesn't music legend and femme-rock pioneer Stevie Nicks have an iPod?

"I have 300,000 CDs. Believe me, there is plenty of music in my life," Nicks answers.

"But I will admit I sunk to doing my last demos on (a computer-generated) 16-track pro-tools. I didn't run it, though, I wouldn't know how," Nicks says, laughing.

Nicks performs, with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, at Rod Laver Arena on February 18. Tickets go on sale on November 15.

I have to say that I do see her point of view, to a certain degree. Working in the library, I see tons of kids every single day, huddled in front of the computers updating their MySpace pages and IMing the friends who are sitting right next to them. Meanwhile, it's 75 degrees outside and sunny.
When I was a kid, sitting in my living room in front of the TV, my mother used to encourage me to go outside and play and interact with others. Really, what Stevie's suggesting isn't that much different.

paleshadow
05-23-2006, 01:01 AM
How odd is it that Stevie would do an interview with a Melbourne journalist that was published just a week ago, when that tour was finished over two months ago? Instead, it seems to be a paraphrasing of this earlier interview (the 15th must've been a slow news day)....

Nice catch. She'll probably be mentioned in various media outlets this week since it's almost her birthday. I'm actually shocked that there hasn't been at least one "Happy Birthday Stevie" thread posted here already! ;)

desertangel
05-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Didn't Corey mention in one of her tour diaires that Stevie was taking digital pictures? ;) ... that's not exactly techno-phobic behavior either.

I think Stevie was using her Verbal Bedazzler to enhance the particular statement she was making at the time. Gemini... truly!

Laura

David
05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Think of those days when you hate something you use that you ordinarily like. Maybe it's your car. Or maybe it's a computer. Ordinarily, you love your computer. But maybe one day you just hate the damn thing because you start thinking about all the hours you've logged on it & you think, Christ, what a waste!

Jyqm
05-23-2006, 03:00 AM
The Gemini that she is speaks again-

Didn't she just hand out a bunch of Ipods?? :cool: She's so funny...

By "funny," do you mean "hypocritical"?

Feck off, Nicks.

Johnny Stew
05-23-2006, 03:24 AM

Feck off, Nicks.The paraphrasing in the blurb David posted, is unfair, IMO. In the longer article, we can all see that she's not disparaging something like iPods... she was simply saying she doesn't have one or really need one.

Obviously though, she sees how they can benefit someone who's not able to get up and change the CD in their stereo, and that's why she donated so many of them to the veterans' hospitals.

jkmaletic
05-23-2006, 07:37 AM

Feck off, Nicks.

Exactly. :nod:

She is in her "freaky fifties" though.... that explains a lot. :laugh:

ELIUD
05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
How would anybody hear know how much she uses or depends on a computer or a cell phone? It took me forever to break down and get a cell phone for myself and my partner and we still barely use them. I love my computers and depend on them to make a living. Stevie's a rock star and can go on making a living and finding other ways to entertain herself rather than sit in front of a computer. When she does use one she probably sees all the ridiculous assumptions people make about her and decides "this sucks".

And as far as iPods go...she's almost 60 and probably prefers VINYL.
Google it kids.

David
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
The paraphrasing in the blurb David posted, is unfair, IMO. In the longer article, we can all see that she's not disparaging something like iPods... she was simply saying she doesn't have one or really need one.I didn't really paraphrase, I selectively quoted!

But I think this iPod fuss is really beside the point, the point being that Stevie hates computers, not iPods.

I also hold that Stevie's dislike of computers spills over into a dislike of her online fans. I hold that Stevie thinks the fans online are a bunch of depraved loons.

jannieC
05-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I also hold that Stevie's dislike of computers spills over into a dislike of her online fans. I hold that Stevie thinks the fans online are a bunch of depraved loons.
This may be true, but wouldn't we still be her fans if there was no such thing as this online community? The majority of us, anyway? That line of reasoning would be kind of lame, if it were true.

Rickypt
05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Stevie's answer:

Thank you Glenda, the Soldier’s iPod program is something very dear to me. We are in the process of establishing a non-profit foundation for people like yourself to make donations to. When we are up and running I will have all of the information posted on the Nicksfix.

Stevie would be the WORST spokesperson for any product because she is constantly contradicting herself.

I don't think Stevie wrote that answer. I don't see Stevie saying something like "I will have all of the information posted on the Nicksfix." Looks like something her management would write.

I share Stevie's contempt of cell phones.

However, her comment about how scary it is that people sit in a dark room with a monitor and keyboard while life flies by is a little strange. Didn't she used to sit in a bathtub all day and write songs?

David
05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
This may be true, but wouldn't we still be her fans if there was no such thing as this online community? The majority of us, anyway? That line of reasoning would be kind of lame, if it were true.Yeah. Plus, Ginny hated us a lot more & that influenced Stevie.

Jyqm
05-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I share Stevie's contempt of cell phones.

I don't care to have a cell phone myself, usually, but lordy, contempt? The cell phone is really a wonderful and incredibly useful piece of technology. I certainly have contempt for people who yap away loudly on them in restaurants or at concerts, or who use them constantly while driving, or who don't know to turn them off in a theater or classroom, but contempt for cell phones themselves is just silly and misguided.

Try telling a parent with teenage kids that cell phones are a bad idea. Or somebody stuck on the side of the highway with an overheated engine. For emergency use, cell phones are absolutely invaluable.

jannieC
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't care to have a cell phone myself, usually, but lordy, contempt? The cell phone is really a wonderful and incredibly useful piece of technology. I certainly have contempt for people who yap away loudly on them in restaurants or at concerts, or who use them constantly while driving, or who don't know to turn them off in a theater or classroom, but contempt for cell phones themselves is just silly and misguided.

Try telling a parent with teenage kids that cell phones are a bad idea. Or somebody stuck on the side of the highway with an overheated engine. For emergency use, cell phones are absolutely invaluable.
I fought the cell phone thing for a long time, but finally got one this past year and I cannot imagine life without it. I have a horrendous sense of direction, and seem to get lost a lot (*sigh*). I can't tell you how many times the cell has saved me from wandering around like an idiot.

jannieC
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah. Plus, Ginny hated us a lot more & that influenced Stevie.
I wasn't online during the Ginny era, so I know nothing of her. Well, other than it wasn't a pleasant experience for most.

sparky
05-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Didn't she used to sit in a bathtub all day and write songs?

Let alone sit in a dark studio doing mountains of coke, chain smoking and taking bong hits. But, I suppose she was with real people she could talk to and canoodle with.
On the other hand, considering the validity and authenticity of most conversations I have had wired on coke and chain smoking, I would say my online contacts tend to have more meaning. :laugh:

ELIUD
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah but when we sit around a computer for hours on a fansite or chatroom, we're not touching the hearts of millions or gaining legions of fans from our clever usage of emoticons.

Rickypt
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Oh okay, I should have elaborated. I have contempt for the overuse and misuse of cell phones. They are, of course, a useful tool.

cliffdweller
05-23-2006, 01:48 PM
No hi-tech for Nicks
Wednesday, 02 November 2005
By Claire Sutherland and Nui Te Koha
Herald Sun (Australia)

Fleetwood Mac rock chick Stevie Nicks has revealed that she despises, and refuses to join, the computer age.

Nicks, 57, says computer games, text messaging and mobile phones have turned the new generation into social morons.

"I don't have a computer, I don't have a cellphone and I don't have an iPod," Nicks tells The Back Room.

"I don't like them."

"She is the closest thing I have to a daughter and I hate it when she's slumped over her computer.

"I'll ask her something, and she'll raise her hand: 'Excuse me, I'm busy!' I hate that," Nicks says.

"That's the moment I want to take the computer, throw it out the window, and slap her.

"And I tell her: 'You and your friends have no social skills, you don't know how to talk to anybody because you're always text messaging, you burn your eyes and hump your back playing these stupid computer games.
Don't you want to stand tall, and be beautiful, and have something to say? You won't if you're slumped over that box!'"

Nicks, who wrote her biggest tunes, including Dreams, on cassette, acknowledges the wonders of the world wide web.

"If this new wave had stayed the information superhighway, I would have been happy.

"Gosh, doesn't life fly by fast enough without wanting to sit in a dark room with a monitor and keyboard? It creeps me out."

But why doesn't music legend and femme-rock pioneer Stevie Nicks have an iPod?

"I have 300,000 CDs. Believe me, there is plenty of music in my life," Nicks answers.

"But I will admit I sunk to doing my last demos on (a computer-generated) 16-track pro-tools. I didn't run it, though, I wouldn't know how," Nicks says, laughing.

Nicks performs, with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, at Rod Laver Arena on February 18. Tickets go on sale on November 15.

:laugh: Ha-ha! Stevie sounds like an old fuddy-duddy aunt to Jessica "don't you want to grow up tall and beautiful?!" "You'll never do that slumped over that box all day!" God this had me roaring with laughter. And furthermore, can you just IMAGINE having auntie Stevie look over your shoulder trying to ask you questions? Can Stevie be my aunt? I promise I would never stick my hand in her face telling her "I'm busy! leave me alone!" :laugh:

JazmenFlowers
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
this whole thread is so funny.

we all know poor Stevie talks out of both sides of her mouth...most likely not even realizing it. don't get too flustered over these quotes or paraphrases. I doubt Stevie has the world and it's use of computers on her prayer list. it probably sounded good at the time and she went with it.

bless her heart...she isn't consistent. I hope to god none of us are ever disected by our each and every move, comment, look or outfit and judged for consistency. I, for one, would be in the same boat as Stevie is here I'm sure.

Sahara
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM

I'd hate her to see the amount of time I spend at this laptop. It overheats most nights....

Though to be fair, most of the time I'm looking up stuff related to her, so maybe that makes it better.
Er, no, maybe that makes it worse....

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
I hope to god none of us are ever disected by our each and every move, comment, look or outfit and judged for consistency. Where have you been??? There are 10 threads dedicated to as much. Oh yea, NOTS! ;)

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd hate her to see the amount of time I spend at this laptop. It overheats most nights...
First the coming down the stairs, and now the overheated laptop.
I shall be good! ;) :xoxo:

jannieC
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Where have you been??? There are 10 threads dedicated to as much. Oh yea, NOTS! ;)
Oh man, I love your sig picture- yay!!!

jwd
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Stevie's a rock star and can go on making a living and finding other ways to entertain herself rather than sit in front of a computer. When she does use one she probably sees all the ridiculous assumptions people make about her and decides "this sucks".

Yeah, I feel the same way, and I'm not even her. :laugh:

JazmenFlowers
05-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Where have you been??? There are 10 threads dedicated to as much. Oh yea, NOTS! ;)
oh you! that sig pic. lol. too funny. :p

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
oh you! that sig pic. lol. too funny. :p

See Stevie, if we didn't have computers, cool people from across the miles couldn't enjoy each other as we do...
unless of course we hitchhiked like they did back in the day and met up at a ledgefest :thumbsup:

I'd give Stevie a ride...in the backseat! ;)

DavidMn
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the greatest with computers either(especially spell check:laugh: )

Sahara
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
First the coming down the stairs, and now the overheated laptop.
I shall be good! ;) :xoxo:

Argh. Do I even ... nah, I probably don't want to know.

And you think I'm joking about the laptop. I'm actually not! It gets so warm after a few hours. And my AC adaptor is totally frayed and about to burst into flames at any minute. Not to mention my dodgy screen, dodgy processor, dodgy DVD player ... Don't ever get a Fujitsu Siemens laptop, OK kids?

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
It gets so warm after a few hours. And my AC adaptor is totally frayed and about to burst into flames at any minute. Not to mention my dodgy screen, dodgy processor, dodgy DVD player ... Don't ever get a Fujitsu Siemens laptop, OK kids? Awww babe...I'm sorry! It is so cool you put yourself in firehazard way to spend time with us! I love you for that! :xoxo:

Sahara
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Awww babe...I'm sorry! It is so cool you put yourself in firehazard way to spend time with us! I love you for that! :xoxo:

Aww, thanks diddums. Hopefully you love me for other reasons too...! :wavey:
There's nowhere else I'd rather be if my laptop's going to burn the house down. ;)

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Aww, thanks diddums. Hopefully you love me for other reasons too...! :wavey: You know I do!!!! :xoxo:
There's nowhere else I'd rather be if my laptop's going to burn the house down. ;) Guess what? I know where Lindsey is everytime my laptop is about to burn the house down. Bwahhhaaaa ;)

Sahara
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Guess what? I know where Lindsey is everytime my laptop is about to burn the house down. Bwahhhaaaa ;)

Yeah ... that's because I've just emailed you to let you know he's safe here with me and to give you all the craic about what we've been "getting up to" ...... ;) ;)

WelshWitchPMD
05-23-2006, 04:31 PM

I do that now and I am 41.:laugh: Well, OK I am not that bad. I did just go and buy a laptop so that I could upload photos while traveling.
I just wonder what Stevie is using to print and store all of her digital pictures that she takes? :confused:

There are also some photos of a few laptops in the TISL tourbook but maybe those aren't Stevie's.

BTFLCHLD
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah ... that's because I've just emailed you to let you know he's safe here with me and to give you all the craic about what we've been "getting up to" ...... ;) ;) Criac you've been getting into? :laugh: Your email was rejected as under 10 characters! :lol:

EDIT: (mybad) :xoxo:

Serrart
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
IMo you can use something even if you hate it. It's the same for me with the cell phones, I hate them, the concept to be tracked down everywhere for me is a violence, but I must use it and keep it on most of the day because of my work. I resisted till 2003 before buying one, but then I was obliged because my chief gave me an ultimatum.
Maybe it's the same for Stevie (without the ultimatum part :D ). She probbly hates the cold computers but learned to cope with them because everybody else has one; she maybe hates Ipods because they represent the "music without paying" concept, but knows that a young soldier probably prefers one of them instead of a yellow cape (well... at least most of them...JK).

Romy

goldustsongbird
05-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I do own a computer, but as I don’t enjoy typing I don’t really surf the net. I’ll email Mick [Fleetwood] or Stevie [Nicks] from time to time, but other that that I don’t want to sit in front of a screen all day. The computer looks very nice on my desk, though [laughs].

-Christine McVie: A Week in the Life

Guess poor Chris doesn't get much response from Lady Nicks, then, if she loathes technology so much.

Johnny Stew
05-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Guess poor Chris doesn't get much response from Lady Nicks, then, if she loathes technology so much.It also sounds like Christine isn't too fond of computers either... or at least sitting in front of them for very long.

David
05-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way, and I'm not even her. :laugh:
Did you know that the photo of Stevie in your sig was taken during the 1978 Fleetwood Mac Penguin Country Safari Tour?

Most people think it was shot on the Tusk Tour but it was not.

The Catdancer
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah. Plus, Ginny hated us a lot more & that influenced Stevie.

Why did she hate us? What did we do to her?

David
05-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Why did she hate us? What did we do to her?
Her words to me:

They all twist everything and yet the ones I have helped almost never step forward to say a word.... and that is fine. I have done many nice things for fans over the past 19 years and not wanted recognition or thanks...I am a nurse...we tend to be kindhearted...I played by the rules set down for me when I was hired and took crap for that, too. I didn't make excuses, I just did as I was told and that is why I am still good friends with my former boss today. I won't tell you what our motto about those people is. I can tell you she HATES the internet and will NOT own a computer or look at a message board.

She said this about demos:

I have seen my friend raging in tears about having her demos leaked and how fans have them and how unfair and downright (sic) rude it is...as if someone stole her babies and gave them away and then people knowingly kept them. It is a sad sight to have seen. I saw it on more than one occassion. Initially it was hre slugs er "friends" but after that...well.

goldustsongbird
05-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Who's Ginny? I know I've read the name before on here.

Johnny Stew
05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Who's Ginny? I know I've read the name before on here.She's the lady who answered Stevie's fan mail a long, long time ago.

goldustsongbird
05-24-2006, 05:24 PM
She's the lady who answered Stevie's fan mail a long, long time ago.

Ohh, right.

BTW, if Stevie doesn't like computers who/what is Computer Baby and why did she thank them/it in the OSOTM liner notes? :p

Angel69
05-24-2006, 05:58 PM
this whole thread is so funny.

we all know poor Stevie talks out of both sides of her mouth...most likely not even realizing it. don't get too flustered over these quotes or paraphrases. I doubt Stevie has the world and it's use of computers on her prayer list. it probably sounded good at the time and she went with it.

bless her heart...she isn't consistent. I hope to god none of us are ever disected by our each and every move, comment, look or outfit and judged for consistency. I, for one, would be in the same boat as Stevie is here I'm sure.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

ELIUD
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't think she's been inconsistent at all about computers and the internet. It's sounds like she's hated them all along. Sending email doesn't require you to be internet savvy or even slightly into it.