PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour references Peter Green

johndoe
04-16-2006, 08:41 AM
In this month's "Guitar World" magazine, David Gilmour mentions Peter Green.

"You bend a note, hold it, then shake it," he explains. "Its kind of like the way classically trained singers hold a note for a couple of seconds, then add vibrato. I've always enjoyed listening to guitarists who do that well-players like Peter Green."

BklynBlue
04-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the quote -
I was just listening to Green's guest work on Peter Bardens "The Answer" and the title track has a very Pink Floyd feel -
Green's guitar would fit quite nicely in "Learning To Fly"!

Wouter Vuijk
04-16-2006, 09:25 PM
In this month's "Guitar World" magazine, David Gilmour mentions Peter Green.

Quote:
"You bend a note, hold it, then shake it," he explains. "Its kind of like the way classically trained singers hold a note for a couple of seconds, then add vibrato. I've always enjoyed listening to guitarists who do that well-players like Peter Green."

Personally, as concerned to Fleetwood Mac, I prefer Danny's vibrato.
Peter never so much added any vibrato with his fingers. Peter (during his FM era) especially stays in my mind for his melodic "feel"/emotional use of dynamics.
:wavey:

madformac
04-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Peter's vibrato was very subtle. Maybe one very slow movement. I think Peter's greatest skill was his feel for string bends. Not just the process of bending a string but the pressure involved, sometimes using pressure on the string when bending and then using less pressure when bringing the string back to its original position. We can try and talk technical but I've always felt Peter's touch is beyond explanation myself. :nod:

dino
04-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Quote:

Personally, as concerned to Fleetwood Mac, I prefer Danny's vibrato.
Peter never so much added any vibrato with his fingers. Peter (during his FM era) especially stays in my mind for his melodic "feel"/emotional use of dynamics.
:wavey:

I have to disagree here :shocked: ...I think Peter had a very distinctive vibrato, "Black magic woman" anyone? True, he didn't use very much vibrato, but it's instantly recognizable, like Mr. Watson tried to ape it when he played BMW.

Danny used much more vibrato..I always thought it almost sounds neurotic, like he's playing very hard with his left hand. Great, but I prefer Peter's. "Like it this way" is a great for comparison

robm
04-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Glad to see Peter being mentioned by a world class musician in a popular publication...Peter's influence has extended more than most people know.

I agree with the "feel" Peter has/had with his vibrato...some musicians are terrific technical players...and then there are those great ones with the "feel".

SRV, Gilmour, and Metheny are some of my other favorites along with Peter. I never tire of listening to Peters masterpiece/gems.