PDA

View Full Version : Stevie's song rights

Nichoel
04-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Today on the news...they were talking about the new Michael Jackson song rights, money thing.....I didn't know this but not only does he own rights to many of the beatles songs....but it is an entire library of different artists. They were listing some of the artists, and Stevie was one of them. I am just curious, does anyone know which songs of her's, that he owns the rights to?

Johnny Stew
04-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Jacko doesn't actually own her songs in the sense that he gets to decide how or when they're used (ie: in commercials), but he has a 50% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which handles the licensing rights for Stevie's songs. So when a song like "Edge Of Seventeen" is used in a movie, Stevie gets her 50% of the profits, and then Sony/ATV, as the publisher, gets the other 50%. Jacko then gets 50% of that.

If I'm mistaken in any way though, hopefully someone will correct me.

StreetAngel86
04-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Today on the news...they were talking about the new Michael Jackson song rights, money thing.....I didn't know this but not only does he own rights to many of the beatles songs....but it is an entire library of different artists. They were listing some of the artists, and Stevie was one of them. I am just curious, does anyone know which songs of her's, that he owns the rights to?

ew. is anyone else disgusted by this?
Michael and Stevie associated together :sorry:

as long as he doesn't own anything SA or TOSOTM related
i will sleep easy tonight :D

MacMan
04-15-2006, 01:01 AM
These songs are published by Sony/ATV..
http://www.sonysongs.com/frontdoor/index.cfm/usa_main_site/english/2/0.html?wid=29&view=songs

Apparently the beatles songs make up about two 3rds of the total value (1 billion) of the catalogue.

Stevie Nicks:
19 songs found

After The Glitter Fades
Bootylicious
Dreams
Edge Of Seventeen
Fireflies
Gypsy
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You
I Can't Wait
If Anyone Falls
Landslide
Leather & Lace
Nightbird
Rhiannon
Rooms On Fire
Sara
Say You Will
Seven Wonders
Sisters Of The Moon
Stand Back

SandyMac
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
My Husband actually heard about this and mentioned something to me about it. I was so weirded out by it that I put it out of my mnd. I agree, the thought of Michael and Stevie being connected in the music biz is rather unsettling.

This explanation makes my mind a little bit more at ease.
Wiping forhead - (Whew).

estranged4life
04-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Jacko doesn't actually own her songs in the sense that he gets to decide how or when they're used (ie: in commercials), but he has a 50% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which handles the licensing rights for Stevie's songs. So when a song like "Edge Of Seventeen" is used in a movie, Stevie gets her 50% of the profits, and then Sony/ATV, as the publisher, gets the other 50%. Jacko then gets 50% of that.

If I'm mistaken in any way though, hopefully someone will correct me.

put, Mr.Librarian...

But as soon as the new deal with Wacko-loon is in place with Sony ('Cause if Wacko-loon was to file bankruptcy, His rights to the Sony/ATV Music Publishing would be put up for auction, Whereas Sony's rivals could in fact end up with those rights to the musical material contained under Sony/ATV Music Publishing.) he will only have a 25% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing.