hi guys anyone seen this ?.... gary moore has sold peters old les paul

wish he had of kept it .. i could be using it :-(

http://www.privateguitarcollector.com/

dino
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
hi guys anyone seen this ?.... gary moore has sold peters old les paul

wish he had of kept it .. i could be using it :-(

http://www.privateguitarcollector.com/

Oh man...that guitar should be back in Greeny's hands. Not that he cares about it, I guess :o

sharksfan2000
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM
It had been reported that the guitar was up for sale on the "Oh Well" Yahoo group a couple of weeks ago. Here's the direct link on the Private Guitar Collector website for Greeny's guitar:
http://www.privateguitarcollector.com/Peter%20Green%20%20Gary%20Moore.htm

Wonder why Gary Moore sold it? Maybe he needed the cash? I Googled the new buyer, Phil Winfield of Maverick Music, and it turns out that the purchase is mentioned on the homepage of their website:
http://www.maverick-music.com/

Our company President, Phil Winfield, has just acquired the Peter Green/Gary Moore 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. The guitar was purchased from Gary Moore and images are now live on the site. THE GUITAR IS NOT FOR SALE, we will be displaying the guitar at the Dallas Guitar Show in April.

It is a shame that this legendary guitar isn't either back in the hands of Peter and his family or else in a museum. I just hope that its new owner takes good care of it.

Dogon
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Hope the guy will be happy with his new tresaure!

By the way, did you know that there a possibĂ*lity to get a quite good glance of the "Grail" for all of us that missed the deal?

Recently I got my hands on a video where Gary Moore gives a concert from the "Blues For Greeny" sessions, playing on PG's Les Paul for appr. 90 minutes, recorded at Shepperd's Bush in London -95.

Gary plays most of the songs from BfG CD+ and for a sequence Peter enters the stage, waving hands and smiling.

It gives you a good view of the beauty and also an idea of how it sounded, altough not exactly as it did in the hands of the man.

I guess it's about the closest most of us ever will get to The Holy Grail!

Wouter Vuijk
03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
It had been reported that the guitar was up for sale on the "Oh Well" Yahoo group a couple of weeks ago. Here's the direct link on the Private Guitar Collector website for Greeny's guitar:
http://www.privateguitarcollector.com/Peter%20Green%20%20Gary%20Moore.htm

Wonder why Gary Moore sold it? Maybe he needed the cash? I Googled the new buyer, Phil Winfield of Maverick Music, and it turns out that the purchase is mentioned on the homepage of their website:
http://www.maverick-music.com/

Our company President, Phil Winfield, has just acquired the Peter Green/Gary Moore 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. The guitar was purchased from Gary Moore and images are now live on the site. THE GUITAR IS NOT FOR SALE, we will be displaying the guitar at the Dallas Guitar Show in April.

It is a shame that this legendary guitar isn't either back in the hands of Peter and his family or else in a museum. I just hope that its new owner takes good care of it.

On the site it gives the following information:

1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Peter Green/Gary Moore

Mere words are not going to do this piece of history justice! First off though, THE GUITAR IS NOT FOR SALE, just wanted to get that out there loud & clear.

Commonly referred to as "The Peter Green Les Paul", we prefer to call it "The Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul". Gary has been very well known for his attachment to this guitar, the stories are legendary & have been recorded & reproduced many times in articles, interviews, quotes etc, we're not here to repeat the history.

The legend of the Peter Green Les Paul is known to just about every Guitar/Rock enthusiast out there. What is it like to play? WOW, it's a humbling/moving experience. This guitar has more vibe & mojo than is possible to explain here. It is what it is, it's worked hard for most of its life, it was a tool of the trade no doubt to both of the talented professional musicians who used this guitar during their careers. Most of the wear & checking can be clearly matched with any of the many close up shots of this guitar out there on the web. The headstock was split & repaired many years ago, it is rock solid & is glued for life in our opinion.

The guitar plays perfectly, everything works, it sounds just unbearably soulful, straight into a tube amp, no effects, nothing, it sounds totally amazing rich, warm, deep & wholesome, it literally takes your breath away. We have Gary's flight case & his black parachute strap also, it's complete with signed CD's & VHS video. Gary's management tag is still attached to the case handle. A Rock-n-Roll icon, a legend in its own right, previously owned by two legendary Guitar players with inimitable tone & style.

On a lighter note, we did buy the guitar its own first class seat across the Atlantic, the pilot & aircrew were in awe & came out to pay hommage..........rightly so!

The site also gives a link to a video of Gary playing the instrument.
I took a glance and........
This shows why I definitely think it's a disgrace:mad:
Gary could have used any Les Paul to get the sound he produces. The warmness of the instrument is fully being overshadowed by the overdrive.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

SteveMacD
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I like how the guy says the guitar is not for sale. EVERYTHING'S for sale, to the RIGHT buyer.

madformac
03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I agree. Everything can be bought, it's just a matter of the price.

Personally I'm not sure why Gary Moore used it for live work. From what I've heard the neck was a bitch to play and far too thick for most hands.

David
03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
What if Peter didn't actually play a Les Paul, but everyone thinks he did because there was some sort of perception-skewering device that an alien used on us?

jjgreen67
03-21-2006, 03:19 AM
i emailed PHIL WINFIELD and asked him what he paid for the guitar but he would not tell me . i then sent an email back saying he should give the guitar back to my uncle . lol.... but he didnt take to kindly to that !!...

also found this ...

Green and Moore also reportedly had a disagreement regarding what guitar the former was playing in the song "Albatross". Moore insists it was the Les Paul, because the guitar tone was particularly warm and rich in the bass, while Peter Green maintains he was using a Strat, as the vibrato in that song was not finger vibrato, but subtle tremolo arm vibrato.

I,ll have ask peter next time he comes over from sweden

madformac
03-21-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm sure it was recorded on a Strat. It just has that distinctive sweetness and crispness on the bends you can't get with a Les Paul too..

The question is was it Peter's ('54?) sunburst Strat?

Anybody arguing it was played on the Les Paul is probably more concerned with pusing the price up. Yes it was played live on the Les Paul but the original was definitely on a Strat.

jjgreen67
03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
theres a lot of interesting questions here ... things i never thought to ask him ... but i will next time he comes over ... and post it on here....i,m not sure if he still has that strat ??..... hes got about 100 guitars .. i seen 50 of em . but not the other 50 ,they are in storage

Don Brown
03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
theres a lot of interesting questions here ... things i never thought to ask him ... but i will next time he comes over ... and post it on here....i,m not sure if he still has that strat ??..... hes got about 100 guitars .. i seen 50 of em . but not the other 50 ,they are in storage

Hello,

I asked Peter directly what he played "Albatross" with, and he told me specifically (I am paraphrasing here:) "I played the main theme with my Les Paul, and I played the high parts with a Strat, sitting with the guitar laying flat across my lap. I don't know why I chose to do it that way; I just did."

I was intrigued and pleased to have him tell me not only what instruments he used, but also to include the description of how he played them.

I hope that answers some of it for you.

Cheers, Don

chiliD
03-22-2006, 12:56 PM
What if Peter didn't actually play a Les Paul, but everyone thinks he did because there was some sort of perception-skewering device that an alien used on us?

Step away from the medicine cabinet, David. :lol:

Don Brown! Its always good to see your posts! Stop by more often if you can.

Kyoshi
06-05-2006, 08:01 AM

.....which only Pete knew about.......

Kyoshi
06-05-2006, 08:02 AM
i emailed PHIL WINFIELD and asked him what he paid for the guitar but he would not tell me . i then sent an email back saying he should give the guitar back to my uncle . lol.... but he didnt take to kindly to that !!...

also found this ...

Green and Moore also reportedly had a disagreement regarding what guitar the former was playing in the song "Albatross". Moore insists it was the Les Paul, because the guitar tone was particularly warm and rich in the bass, while Peter Green maintains he was using a Strat, as the vibrato in that song was not finger vibrato, but subtle tremolo arm vibrato.

I,ll have ask peter next time he comes over from sweden

mebbe Marks and Spencer should of bid for it....