PDA

View Full Version : Rufus Wainwright to re-create Judy at Carnegie Hall

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Rufus plans to re-create everything from Judy's Carnegie Hall concert...from the setlist right down to the promo poster. Should be interesting...and really, really, gay.:blob2:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=3136

Josh2003
02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I heard this last week. And I adore Rufus. That is all.

Brwn_eyes0511
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
How amazing...

I was actually just on The Judy Room...and they haven't posted anything on this yet...

:thumbsup: rock on judy!

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I heard this last week. And I adore Rufus. That is all.
I do too. I have really been wanting to see him live lately. I can't make this show, but I hope it will be released in some form.

DavidMn
02-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Rufus plans to re-create everything from Judy's Carnegie Hall concert...from the setlist right down to the promo poster. Should be interesting...and really, really, gay.:blob2:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=3136I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but I assume he's gay?

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but I assume he's gay?
yes, he is. and very talented, IMO. you should check out Want One for sure.

catinthedark
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
i'm not sure how i feel about this. i love rufus - and his sister, martha, by the way - but not so sure about the whole judy garland thing. :o sorry! :)

PS yes - if you've never listened to rufus, check him out!!

DavidMn
02-27-2006, 12:04 PM
yes, he is. and very talented, IMO. you should check out Want One for sure.I feel so embarresed. There go My gay wings... I think I need to check into the gay hipness class!:laugh:

Brwn_eyes0511
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM

and if you've never listened to Judy At Carnegie Hall...check it ou! ;) :woohoo:

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 02:11 PM
i'm not sure how i feel about this. i love rufus - and his sister, martha, by the way - but not so sure about the whole judy garland thing. :o sorry! :)

you know...I don't know how I feel either. But I am anxious to see what he does with those songs.

Nixxxed
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I do too. I have really been wanting to see him live lately. I can't make this show, but I hope it will be released in some form.
Have you seen his Live at the Fillmore DVD? It came free with the first edition of Want Two, but I think it's available separately now. It's an awesome show.

I've never been able to see him live, either - I missed him on both the Poses (supporting Tori Amos) and Want One tours in Houston. And he didn't come anywhere near here for Want Two.

But I got bootlegs! :laugh: And some are still available online - let me know if you're interested & I'll post some links... :xoxo:

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Have you seen his Live at the Fillmore DVD? It came free with the first edition of Want Two, but I think it's available separately now. It's an awesome show.

I've never been able to see him live, either - I missed him on both the Poses (supporting Tori Amos) and Want One tours in Houston. And he didn't come anywhere near here for Want Two.

But I got bootlegs! :laugh: And some are still available online - let me know if you're interested & I'll post some links... :xoxo:
I did get the Fillmore DVD. It's really good. I wish it were a little longer...did it seem like a full concert to you? but I did love the snippets of him out and about. the way he talks cracks me up - I didn't expect it at first.

*sigh* to see Rufus AND Tori...I could die happy (with the exception of never seeing Sarah Brightman and Linda Eder live).

I would love some bootlegs.

Nixxxed
02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Here ya go:

Want Two Tour - Paris 11/28/05: http://rufuswainwright.site.voila.fr/page4.html

Black Sessions 2003 - Paris: http://rufuswainwright.site.voila.fr/page8.html
This is a French radio show, with Rufus solo at the piano and on guitar. He speaks French for most of the dialogue, but at a few points screws it up and has to switch to English. :laugh:

These 2 links are from the same site - make sure to check out all the page links for concert pics - especially his European "Gay Messiah" routine. Also, the "Cadeau du Jour" page has a radio show posted at the bottom.

Rufus Wainwright Media: http://community.livejournal.com/rufus_media/
The second post down is hosting a show from his first tour in 1998. You'll have to check the comments section for the current links ("25 at grey gardens") - so many people have tried to snag it that the bandwidth keeps expiring. I haven't been able to get it, but you may have a faster connection than me.

The Rufus Files: http://rufus.jt.org/
A collection of TV appearances - video and audio.

Last one - Rutopia: http://www.rutopia.info/forum/index.php
A non-official Rufus forum - stuff pops up on here from time to time, but usually goes pretty quickly. Cool people though, if you just wanna chat about all things Rufus.

Enjoy! :xoxo:

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Here ya go
wow. thank you very much. if I can ever repay the favor, let me know.

catinthedark
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
and if you've never listened to Judy At Carnegie Hall...check it ou! ;) :woohoo:

touche.

:o

Nixxxed
02-27-2006, 06:14 PM
I did get the Fillmore DVD. It's really good. I wish it were a little longer...did it seem like a full concert to you?

It's not the complete concert. (Sorry for the delay - I had to look it up! :laugh: )

I love the street snippets and interview footage, too ("They're ALL fresh! FRESH AS DAISIES!"), but I would have preferred a bonus interview or some other "Special Feature". I really hate that they cut out the on-stage banter between Rufus & the crowd, not to mention the missing songs. From what I hear, that's what makes his shows so special -- you never know what he's going to say. And, like Tori, his setlist is different for every show.

They discuss the actual concert banter at the end of this thread:
http://bb.dreamworksrecords.com/rufuswainwright/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=97792&page=12&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

And here's the real setlist, with what's missing from the DVD in bold:

L'Absence
14th Street
Harvester of Hearts
Movies of Myself
Natasha
Go Or Go Ahead
Pretty Things
The Art Teacher
Hallelujah
Matinee Idol
Vibrate
Gay Messiah
Want
Greek Song
11:11 - used in DVD credits
Foolish Love
I Don't Know What It Is
Dinner At Eight
Beautiful Child

ENCORE
Oh What A World
Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk
Liberty Cabbage

2ND ENCORE
Grey Gardens
California
As In Happy

3RD ENCORE
Millbrook
Complainte de la Butte

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 06:55 PM

L'Absence
14th Street
Harvester of Hearts
Movies of Myself
Natasha
Go Or Go Ahead
Pretty Things
The Art Teacher
Hallelujah
Matinee Idol
Vibrate
Gay Messiah
Want
Greek Song
Foolish Love
I Don't Know What It Is
Dinner At Eight
Beautiful Child

ENCORE
Oh What A World
Liberty Cabbage

2ND ENCORE
Grey Gardens
California
As In Happy

3RD ENCORE
Millbrook
Complainte de la Butte
movies of myself, go or go ahead and pretty things - 3 of my favorite songs...:mad:

mikeschmike
02-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Clang clang clang went the homo...

Seriously though, this should be a lovely show. I'm hoping for cd/dvd!

Nixxxed
02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
movies of myself, go or go ahead and pretty things - 3 of my favorite songs...:mad:
I'm not a "Movies" fan (it's just OK for me), but I would have preferred either of the other 2 over "Harvester" - for some reason that's the one song of his I *really* don't like.

"Go Or Go Ahead" is one of my faves. The version on the Paris link I posted earlier is pretty good. I'd say great, but that's the only version I've ever heard... :D

Nixxxed
02-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Clang clang clang went the homo...

Seriously though, this should be a lovely show. I'm hoping for cd/dvd!
:lol:

Knowing Rufus, he'll probably "smut it up", though: "Bang, bang, bang went the trollop..." I'm hoping for a release of it, too.

And Jazmen, if you REALLY feel like you have to pay me back for the links, just find a way to get us to the Carnegie show. Hell, I'll even put out. :eek:

"Well, I'm just a floozy, old-fashioned hussy -
Trying to kiss you - it hasn't been easy -
A lost little puppy dog -
Runnin' away from the pound"

You've heard that song, right?

Brwn_eyes0511
02-27-2006, 08:00 PM

Knowing Rufus, he'll probably "smut it up", though: "Bang, bang, bang went the trollop..." I'm hoping for a release of it, too.

And Jazmen, if you REALLY feel like you have to pay me back for the links, just find a way to get us to the Carnegie show. Hell, I'll even put out. :eek:

I hear the joint is really jumpin' down at carnegie hall....:thumbsup: :lol:

mikeschmike
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM

Ups and Downs is a kick ass song.

JazmenFlowers
02-27-2006, 11:10 PM

lol...:thumbsup:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
02-28-2006, 04:38 AM
I have this... it's fantastic

Moony
02-28-2006, 05:45 AM
It's not the complete concert. (Sorry for the delay - I had to look it up! :laugh: )

I love the street snippets and interview footage, too ("They're ALL fresh! FRESH AS DAISIES!"), but I would have preferred a bonus interview or some other "Special Feature". I really hate that they cut out the on-stage banter between Rufus & the crowd, not to mention the missing songs. From what I hear, that's what makes his shows so special -- you never know what he's going to say. And, like Tori, his setlist is different for every show.

They discuss the actual concert banter at the end of this thread:
http://bb.dreamworksrecords.com/rufuswainwright/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=97792&page=12&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

L'Absence
14th Street
Harvester of Hearts
Movies of Myself
Natasha
Go Or Go Ahead
Pretty Things
The Art Teacher
Hallelujah
Matinee Idol
Vibrate
Gay Messiah
Want
Greek Song
Foolish Love
I Don't Know What It Is
Dinner At Eight
Beautiful Child

ENCORE
Oh What A World
Liberty Cabbage

2ND ENCORE
Grey Gardens
California
As In Happy

3RD ENCORE
Millbrook
Complainte de la Butte

WTF?! I didn't know they left out all those songs! I would have loved to hear Complainte, Grey Gardens, Cigarettes and ESPECIALLY Go or Go Ahead. Damn.

by the way thanks for all of those links :wavey:

Nixxxed
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
WTF?! I didn't know they left out all those songs! I would have loved to hear Complainte, Grey Gardens, Cigarettes and ESPECIALLY Go or Go Ahead. Damn.

by the way thanks for all of those links :wavey:
You're (all) welcome! :xoxo: I know I have other links somewhere, I just can't find them at the moment. Time to clean out the bookmarks...

And, are the links working? I checked a few before posting, but ya never know. I'm pretty sure they're Savefile links, which aren't supposed to expire.

JazmenFlowers
02-28-2006, 02:59 PM
You're (all) welcome! :xoxo: I know I have other links somewhere, I just can't find them at the moment. Time to clean out the bookmarks...

And, are the links working? I checked a few before posting, but ya never know. I'm pretty sure they're Savefile links, which aren't supposed to expire.
worked for me. I'm loving the Paris show...where he forgets the words! so funny.

JazmenFlowers
02-28-2006, 03:12 PM
btw, due to "overwhelming demand" they have added another date for the show

June 14 and 15

ragandbone
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Here is a song he did at a concert curated by Emmylou Harris at Carnegie Hall, he was a special guest of the McGarrigles Dying of Our Love (http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3ORGYBMZJY1UO3ESOOMEDPFV8C)

Nixxxed
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
worked for me. I'm loving the Paris show...where he forgets the words! so funny.
:lol: Yeah, plus the part where he says "And now for some rock'n'roll..." and the beginning of the song ("Go or Go Ahead"?) starts out slow and everyone laughs.

:laugh:

Glad they're working and you're enjoying.

JazmenFlowers
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
:lol: Yeah, plus the part where he says "And now for some rock'n'roll..." and the beginning of the song ("Go or Go Ahead"?) starts out slow and everyone laughs.

Glad they're working and you're enjoying.
I've found something else to take up the rest of the free time I'm not collecting Stevie and Tori boots. yeah, thanks a lot.:p

ragandbone
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Here ya go:

Want Two Tour - Paris 11/28/05: http://rufuswainwright.site.voila.fr/page4.html

Black Sessions 2003 - Paris: http://rufuswainwright.site.voila.fr/page8.html
This is a French radio show, with Rufus solo at the piano and on guitar. He speaks French for most of the dialogue, but at a few points screws it up and has to switch to English. :laugh:

These 2 links are from the same site - make sure to check out all the page links for concert pics - especially his European "Gay Messiah" routine. Also, the "Cadeau du Jour" page has a radio show posted at the bottom.

Rufus Wainwright Media: http://community.livejournal.com/rufus_media/
The second post down is hosting a show from his first tour in 1998. You'll have to check the comments section for the current links ("25 at grey gardens") - so many people have tried to snag it that the bandwidth keeps expiring. I haven't been able to get it, but you may have a faster connection than me.

The Rufus Files: http://rufus.jt.org/
A collection of TV appearances - video and audio.

Last one - Rutopia: http://www.rutopia.info/forum/index.php
A non-official Rufus forum - stuff pops up on here from time to time, but usually goes pretty quickly. Cool people though, if you just wanna chat about all things Rufus.

Enjoy! :xoxo:

Thanks for posting these great links!

DestinyRules
03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I feel so embarresed. There go My gay wings... I think I need to check into the gay hipness class!:laugh:
I haven't listened to him either. It's just not my bag of tea.

But to partially redeem myself, I've heard of him, know who he is and know he plays for our team. ;):p

SuzeQuze
03-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Damn, he's a doll! Naturally since he plays for the other team. ;) I will have to check out his music.

JazmenFlowers
03-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Damn, he's a doll! Naturally since he plays for the other team. ;) I will have to check out his music.
he's kind of like a male Tori Amos (tho not really and I hate to make comparisons like that, but it gives you an idea)

I'm not totally versed in his background and all of his music as I just have Want One and Want Two. I think he's really refreshing.

Nixxxed
03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for posting these great links!
You're welcome! And thank you for posting that awesome McCarrigle mp3!

Do you know which show that was from? He pops up in their concerts so much over the last few years it's hard to keep them organized. Someone on Rutopia has promised mp3s from the McCarrigle Christmas show they all did a few months ago (I think Emmylou was there too...), so keep your eyes peeled.

ragandbone
03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
Yes, it was from the Creators at Carnegie show, curated by Emmylou Harris. If you search on the NPR site, I think they may still have active links to stream the show. It is awesome: Patty Griffin, Steve Earle, Julie and Buddy Miller, The McGarrigle Sisters, and some Emmylou!
PM if you can't find it - I grabbed the show, and broke it into tracks. Rufus only does the one song, though.

Nixxxed
06-14-2006, 08:53 PM
So, this is happening tonight - right now actually. Early reviews are promising (they're doing a setlist/wardrobe play-by-play on Rutopia).

I'm just sitting here wishing I was at Carnegie Hall. :distress:

David
06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
I don't know who Rufus Wainwright is, but I once saw Jim Bailey do his Judy Garland impersonation show & he was amazing. It was like watching & listening to the ol' gal right in front of you!

He even has a Web site now:

http://www.jimbaileyweb.com/

carrie721
06-14-2006, 09:45 PM
i like what trent of pinkisthenewblog.com said about it:

Tonight, Rufus Wainwright takes one small step for man and one giant leap for gays the world over as he takes the Carnegie Hall stage to perform the entire classic album of Judy Garland's famous 1961 concert live and in person. Just when you thought that Rufus couldn't get any gayer he goes and attempts to out-gay himself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nixxxed
06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
i like what trent of pinkisthenewblog.com said about it:

Tonight, Rufus Wainwright takes one small step for man and one giant leap for gays the world over as he takes the Carnegie Hall stage to perform the entire classic album of Judy Garland's famous 1961 concert live and in person. Just when you thought that Rufus couldn't get any gayer he goes and attempts to out-gay himself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That was pretty much the point, given that it's Pride Month and all...

From one of the many interviews he's done:

Any which way, the result is sure to be flaming. Garland is perhaps the ultimate icon of pre-Stonewall gay culture, and in re-creating her most celebrated concert, the difference between near myth and near miss may come down to the proper application of a lisp. Wainwright’s undertaking can be seen as a kind of gay séance, transforming Carnegie Hall into a haunted house full of songs that moan with the memories of the fans who once loved them. “It’s a communal experience; I’m drawing upon a collective unconscious,” Wainwright notes. “In this day and age I think it is important for us, as gay men, to respect that part of history, and not put it in a place of shame.”

What draws him to Garland, he says, is her vulnerability and emotional servitude to the music she sang, regardless of how it made her look. “I definitely don’t want to portray implacability, which is what most of the male performers of the era did,” he observes. “Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra—they were these sort of statuesque swine, aloof and tight.” And he already knows how his performance will be perceived. “When I am up there singing ‘The Trolley Song,’ it is going to be the gayest moment of my life,” he predicts. “For everybody in the audience, it will be one of their top gay moments, too, and that’s wonderful.”

David
06-15-2006, 12:00 AM
That was pretty much the point, given that it's Pride Month and all...
HAAHAAHAAA!!!!

Nixxxed, I just now saw your sig banner. HAHAHAAAEHHEAHHAAA!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JazmenFlowers
06-15-2006, 08:44 AM
I hope this is released in some way. I really wanted to go see this.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
06-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Lorna joined him on stage at Carnegie Hall:

http://www.lornaluftonline.com/

JazmenFlowers
06-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Lorna joined him on stage at Carnegie Hall:

http://www.lornaluftonline.com/
how awesome. there are a couple of short clips on youtube.

omg. I just realized Lorna played Paulette in Grease 2.

SortaSavageLike
06-19-2006, 08:35 AM
We have the technology. We can rebuild her.

That, or we could just cover her body with electrodes and hope she doesn't keep walking into walls.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
how awesome. there are a couple of short clips on youtube.

omg. I just realized Lorna played Paulette in Grease 2.
LOL! Crap film but Lorna was great!

BTW... I couldn't find any clips?

JazmenFlowers
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I just read that Rufus is putting his Judy show out on CD and DVD! :thumbsup:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-18-2007, 04:36 AM
I just read that Rufus is putting his Judy show out on CD and DVD! :thumbsup:

They aired his show at the Palladium on TV a few weeks ago. It had been cut to shreds to fit into an hour along with commercials... which was a shame. I hope the release is the complete show.