PDA

View Full Version : Of Priorities and Phantom "stuff"

irishgrl
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
with all the recent board talk about budgets not balancing, and various explanations why........I offer the following article as a case in point, and as a reminder, lest anyone have any doubt: The little guy matters not a whit to the powerbrokers, the war hawks...the sly skulking poseurs who infest our nation's capital like a foul rot, like so many two-legged cockroaches.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
President Bush proposed on Monday to boost defense spending, slow Medicare's growth and cut a host of domestic programs in a $2.77 trillion budget that sought to soothe Republican frustrations over high deficits.

With congressional elections looming in November, the fiscal 2007 blueprint came under swift attack from Democrats, who said elderly and working Americans would bear the brunt of Bush's fiscal mismanagement.

A prominent Republican, Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania, said Bush's proposed funding cuts for health and education were "scandalous." Specter chairs a Senate panel that oversees spending on such programs.

He was particularly critical of the White House's call for eliminating an anti-drug program and a new cord-blood stem cell bank, as well as proposed funding levels for the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and the "Head Start" education program for low-income preschoolers.

The Bush plan would cut discretionary programs outside national security by 0.5 percent. Bush wants to pare back or scrap 141 programs, with education, cancer research and community policing programs slated to take a hit.

But Bush proposed a record $439.3 billion defense budget, up 4.8 percent from last year. On top of that, the White House will seek new financing for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The president renewed his call for the Republican-led Congress to make his tax cuts permanent even as he projected a surge in the federal deficit to $423 billion this year, up more than $100 billion from fiscal 2005.

However, the non-partisan
Congressional Budget Office on Monday released its new fiscal 2006 budget deficit estimate of about $355 billion.

Bush said failing to extend his tax cuts would amount to a tax increase.

But congressional Democrats said his plan masked the depth of fiscal problems by ignoring the long-term impact of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, which they said would cost $1.5 trillion in 2012-2016 if they are fully renewed.

"The tax cuts explode after five years," said Sen. Kent Conrad (news, bio, voting record) of North Dakota, senior Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada called the budget document "immoral and irresponsible."

"After creating record deficits and debt with his budget busting tax breaks, the president is asking our seniors, our students, and our families to clean up his fiscal mess with painful cuts in health care and student aid," Reid said.

Democrats hope to overturn Republican dominance in both chambers of Congress in November elections and see the deficits as an issue on which Bush and his allies are vulnerable.

Lawmakers will debate the budget this spring and the eventual product could look very different from Bush's plan.

The White House penciled in $50 billion for war spending in 2007 but budget director Joshua Bolten said that was simply based on Congress's initial allowance for 2006 and was not a firm assessment of the needs.

"It's very hard to say what we'll be spending 18 months from now in Iraq," Bolten said. "It has been a very expensive undertaking."

A new infusion this year of $70 billion in emergency funds for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan dwarfs the proposed domestic program cuts in fiscal 2007 and is double the five-year savings of $36 billion in Medicare.

Total war spending for 2006 is $120 billion -- the budget's single biggest discretionary item. The $70 billion in emergency funds is in addition to $50 billion already approved by Congress.

ELECTION-YEAR WORRIES

Even though fiscal conservatives are upset about the deficits, lawmakers are usually squeamish about cutting programs in an election year, making the Bush's wish list a tough sell.

Nine of the 15 Cabinet agencies would see cuts, with education down 3.8 percent, justice reduced by 7.2 percent and transportation 9.4 percent lower. Veterans Affairs was given an 8 percent increase, one of the few domestic programs to get a bigger budget.

Bush would hold the growth in discretionary spending to 3.2 percent, below the 3.4 percent inflation rate.

He also hopes to squeeze $65 billion in savings over five years from mandatory programs, including $36 billion for the Medicare health program for the elderly. Growth in hospital payments would be reduced and the administration would set triggers to cut Medicare if spending surpasses certain thresholds.

As an indication of the battles the administration will face over its budget, the AARP, the influential seniors lobby, vowed to fight the Medicare triggers.

The administration emphasized it was not cutting Medicare but slowing its annual growth to 7.5 percent from 7.8 percent.

Spending for the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina have contributed to an expected rise in the 2007 deficit to $423 billion from $318 billion in 2006. But Bush still maintains he can halve the shortfall by 2009.

A handful of domestic programs would get fresh cash. Those include research and development, math and science education, high-tech training and alternative fuel sources.

what's the world coming to, indeed.

SuzeQuze
02-07-2006, 07:43 AM
He's a lunatic. That is an insane budget. We already give half of our tax dollars to the Pentagon. Here's a simple representation of the budget http://www.truemajority.com/oreos/. And here's Ben on nuclear proliferation (which I haven't yet watched) http://www.truemajority.org/bensbbs/. If the administration would stop wasting money on "defense" programs we just don't need then that would free up money for Iraq. Bush is heartless. This makes me so sick and just when I tought I couldn't get any sicker. :distress:

DavidMn
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
He's a lunatic. That is an insane budget. We already give half of our tax dollars to the Pentagon. Here's a simple representation of the budget http://www.truemajority.com/oreos/. And here's Ben on nuclear proliferation (which I haven't yet watched) http://www.truemajority.org/bensbbs/. If the administration would stop wasting money on "defense" programs we just don't need then that would free up money for Iraq. Bush is heartless. This makes me so sick and just when I tought I couldn't get any sicker. :distress:Would you like an asprin?:)

SuzeQuze
02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Would you like an asprin?:)

So long as there's some Captain Morgan to knock it back with! :]

SuzeQuze
02-09-2006, 09:44 AM
The latest sneaky move by Bush is to slip Social Security privatization into the budget:

From Newsweek:

Sleight of Hand

Bush buried detailed Social Security privatization proposals in his budget. Can the surprise move jump-start bipartisan reform?

By Allan Sloan
Updated: 12:09 p.m. ET Feb. 8, 2006

Feb. 8, 2006 - If you read enough numbers, you never know what you'll find. Take President Bush and private Social Security accounts.

Last year, even though Bush talked endlessly about the supposed joys of private accounts, he never proposed a specific plan to Congress and never put privatization costs in the budget. But this year, with no fanfare whatsoever, Bush stuck a big Social Security privatization plan in the federal budget proposal, which he sent to Congress on Monday.

His plan would let people set up private accounts starting in 2010 and would divert more than $700 billion of Social Security tax revenues to pay for them over the first seven years.

If this comes as a surprise to you, have no fear. You're not alone. Bush didn't pitch private Social Security accounts in his State of the Union Message last week.

First, he drew a mocking standing ovation from Democrats by saying that "Congress did not act last year on my proposal to save Social Security," even though, as I said, he'd never submitted specific legislation.
Then he seemed to be kicking the Social Security problem a few years down the road in typical Washington fashion when he asked Congress "to join me in creating a commission to examine the full impact of baby-boom retirements on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid," adding that the commission would be bipartisan "and offer bipartisan solutions."

But anyone who thought that Bush would wait for bipartisanship to deal with Social Security was wrong. Instead, he stuck his own privatization proposals into his proposed budget.

"The Democrats were laughing all the way to the funeral of Social Security modernization," White House spokesman Trent Duffy told me in an interview Tuesday, but "the president still cares deeply about this." Duffy asserted that Bush would have been remiss not to include in the budget the cost of something that he feels so strongly about, and he seemed surprised at my surprise that Social Security privatization had been written into the budget without any advance fanfare.
….

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11235990/site/newsweek/from/RSS

Rickypt
02-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Just days after Congress passed the '06 budget with all the Medicaid/Medicare/student loan/food stamps, etc. cuts, Bush released this budget which calls for another $50 billion in cuts to Medicaid and Medicare.

He is dismantling the safety net for poor Americans. It has nothing to do with getting rid of the budget deficit, as his tax cuts will keep us in debt.

We lost by 1 vote in the Senate and 2 in the House last time. With Specter calling the budget "scandalous" and being an election year with no one wanting to cut health care so close to a vote, we might get lucky this year.

irishgrl
02-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Just days after Congress passed the '06 budget with all the Medicaid/Medicare/student loan/food stamps, etc. cuts, Bush released this budget which calls for another $50 billion in cuts to Medicaid and Medicare.

He is dismantling the safety net for poor Americans. It has nothing to do with getting rid of the budget deficit, as his tax cuts will keep us in debt.

We lost by 1 vote in the Senate and 2 in the House last time. With Specter calling the budget "scandalous" and being an election year with no one wanting to cut health care so close to a vote, we might get lucky this year.
let us pray..