PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Earl’s and others’ tributes to Peter Green

kowk
10-09-2005, 10:19 AM
In M. Celmins book Peter Green - The Authorised Biography on page 223 is written:
1) There is a contemporay US blues maestro Ronnie Earl, who composed a tribute to Peter, an instrumental called Heart of Glass,
2) Earl describes Green as the greatest guitarist of any style ever, ever,

In my opinion Ronnie Earl's tribute to Peter isn't limited to only one composition Heart of Glass but acc. to point 2. Peter has a big influence on Earl's style of playing and music sensitivity ( of course not only to Ronnie Earl but to many musicians all over the world :) ).
R. Earl dedicated another composition called Barcelona Morning from the CD Language of the Soul. Am I right? And I can hear Peter's influence in many Earl's recordings ( I have the whole Earl's discography).

Apart from R. Earl's compositions and official tribute albums:
1) G. Moore - Blues for Greeny,
2) V/A - The Peter Green Songbook 2 CD (in USA VA - Rattlesnake Guitar - Tribute to P. Green)
3) B. Marsden Green and Blues
4) Jim King - When the Blues Are Green
5) VA(Family Style) - Tribute To Fleetwood Mac - Blues Years

there are many tributes by other artists, who recorded Peter's numbers, for example:
Aerosmith, Dave Hole, Barry McCabe, Gregory Hilden, Carlos Santana, Rick Vito, Snowy White, Chris Coco and many many more.

My proposal is - let's do a list of all artsists, who played compostions connected with Peter :)

sharksfan2000
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I hadn't really heard much of Ronnie Earl's recordings before last year, but after hearing more, there's no question in my mind that Peter was a big influence on his playing.

Good idea to compile a list as you propose. Of course one of the most famous tributes to Peter was the Beatles' "Sun King", inspired by "Albatross".

chiliD
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, um...(humbly)...ME!!

In various bands over the years, I've done:

I Loved Another Woman
Black Magic Woman (both FMac's AND Santana's arrangements)
Watch Out
Albatross
Green Manalishi
Oh Well (both parts)
Rattlesnake Shake (with a touch of the Madges thrown in)
Love That Burns
Fool No More
Before the Beginning

And, if you include a few Danny K's tunes from that era:
Without You
One Sunny Day
Something Inside Of Me

And, a few Jeremy Spencer's Elmore James genre/covers
I Can't Hold Out
Shake Your Money Maker
Dust My Broom (aka I Believe My Time Ain't Long)

et88b
10-21-2005, 09:48 PM
I saw Peter and the Splinter Group play the Long Beach,Ca Blues Fest in 1998.
It was a 3 Day Festival. On Sat Ronnie Earl played with A Room Full of Blues in which he was once a member. On Sun the lineup was The Yardbirds,Splinter Group and John Mayall. I had front of stage VIP seating. A few persons away, Ronnie Earl was seated to watch Peter play. At the end of John Mayalls set he was joined on stage by Kim Simmons (Savoy Brown),Mick Taylor (Mayall, Stones),Peter Green and Ronnie Earl for a "British Blues All-Star Jam", During the jam each guitarist took a turn soloing, mostly std heavy blues rock riffs. Then I heard a melodic softer lead played with touch and feeling. It was short compared to the others but proudly played by Peter Green. Standing next to Peter was Ronnie Earl. After Peter finished playing, Ronnie looked to the side of the stage to some of Peter's people, tapped his heart and pointed to Peter, He then layed his head on Peter's shoulder and also played a very Peter Green like solo. It was a very moving display of affection and admiration for Peter by Ronnie Earl. I was very moved and will never forget it.