PDA

View Full Version : New Album...

Gypsy-Rhiannon
06-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Is this old news??

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=326771&From=PGR-COL-02062005-1300-MAC

Pip

chiliD
06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Not really. Glad to see that those two albums are getting re-released.

But, the sad part is, "here we go again". Another round of the constant repackaging of Peter's material. After the incessant repackages of his 1978-1981 material, now the same thing SEEMS to be starting with his PGSG material, too. At least, his 78-81 albums are being re-released (have been re-released?) in their original form.

Mario
06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
The first 3 Pvk albums have been already re-released in England and "Watcha Gonna Do" has "Woman Don't" and "Watcha Gonna Do" (the supposed title track) as bonus (but not unrelased) tracks.

Both "White Sky" and "Kolors" wil be out in England next June 20th 2005, and both have bonus(but not unreleased) tracks, the same already available on "Legend" , plus the acoustic version of "Apostole".

After a few interviews with Peter's brother Mike, Martin Celmins eventually sorted out from which sessions the "Kolors" tracks came.

Mario.

dino
06-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mario! :]

The Kolors sleevenotes will be an interesting read!

wetcamelfood
06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
The first 3 Pvk albums have been already re-released in England and "Watcha Gonna Do" has "Woman Don't" and "Watcha Gonna Do" (the supposed title track) as bonus (but not unrelased) tracks.

Both "White Sky" and "Kolors" wil be out in England next June 20th 2005, and both have bonus(but not unreleased) tracks, the same already available on "Legend" , plus the acoustic version of "Apostole".

After a few interviews with Peter's brother Mike, Martin Celmins eventually sorted out from which sessions the "Kolors" tracks came.

Mario.

Thanks Mario, I was looking in to this and this is the way the bonus tracks seem to map out based on the amazon.com listings:

Apostle (Single version) (WS)
Whatcha gonna do (WGD)
Woman don't (WGD)
Touch My Spirit (WS)
Six String Guitar (WS)
You Won't See Me Anymore (WS)
Long Way From Home (Kolors)
Rubbing My Eyes (Kolors)
Corner Of My Mind (Kolors)
Carry My Love (Kolors)

...BUT does anyone here know which remaster the "Legend" version of "Bandit" will be on?

John

Tom
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
OK - help me out folks. I'm not as familiar yet with Peter's record label history.
Would someone be kind enough to post a list of all these re-released CDs that have recently - or are about to come out so I can proceed to get them? And are these only out in England, or will they be out here in the U.S.? If not I'll look for them as imports.
Thank you.

chiliD
06-08-2005, 08:34 AM
These are the ones to get, as far as Peter's 1978-1981 material:

In The Skies
Little Dreamer
Whatcha Gonna Do
White Sky
Kolors

I think, as of now, they're only imports...don't know if they're going to be released domestically (US)

Tom
06-08-2005, 09:00 AM
These are the ones to get, as far as Peter's 1978-1981 material:

In The Skies
Little Dreamer
Whatcha Gonna Do
White Sky
Kolors

I think, as of now, they're only imports...don't know if they're going to be released domestically (US)

Thank you.

Mario
06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mario, I was looking in to this and this is the way the bonus tracks seem to map out based on the amazon.com listings:

Apostle (Single version) (WS)
Whatcha gonna do (WGD)
Woman don't (WGD)
Touch My Spirit (WS)
Six String Guitar (WS)
You Won't See Me Anymore (WS)
Long Way From Home (Kolors)
Rubbing My Eyes (Kolors)
Corner Of My Mind (Kolors)
Carry My Love (Kolors)

...BUT does anyone here know which remaster the "Legend" version of "Bandit" will be on?

John

I do believe, but I cannot be sure that this reissue of "Kolors" has the Bandit version with slide guitar and pan pipes overdubbed.

The basic version of Bandit (no overdubs) is only available on Legend and on one of the many anthologies with Pvk stuff, called "Rock & Pop Legends" (see the photo).

Mike Green said that the basic version of Bandit was recorded during the "Little Dreamer" sessions.

Mario.

wetcamelfood
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I do believe, but I cannot be sure that this reissue of "Kolors" has the Bandit version with slide guitar and pan pipes overdubbed.

The basic version of Bandit (no overdubs) is only available on Legend and on one of the many anthologies with Pvk stuff, called "Rock & Pop Legends" (see the photo).

Mike Green said that the basic version of Bandit was recorded during the "Little Dreamer" sessions.

Mario.

Thanks Mario, this is interesting, I just listened to them back to back and it sounds like the Kolors "version" is in a higher key and performed at a faster tempo.

I suppose they could've sped the tape up a little before adding the overdubs? I know this has been done before with other artist's recordings (such as Camel's "Lady fantasy" for example)

It's a shame anyways, I think those overdubs (if that's what's in fact happened) really hide Greeny's great playing heard so well on the Legend version/mix.

John

dino
06-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Thanks Mario, this is interesting, I just listened to them back to back and it sounds like the Kolors "version" is in a higher key and performed at a faster tempo.

I suppose they could've sped the tape up a little before adding the overdubs? I know this has been done before with other artist's recordings (such as Camel's "Lady fantasy" for example)

It's a shame anyways, I think those overdubs (if that's what's in fact happened) really hide Greeny's great playing heard so well on the Legend version/mix.

John

I agree...but that's the problem with the whole "Kolors" album. You can hardly hear him on many tracks!
Some awful slide guitar playing drowns him out, and there's some strange echo added.
What they should have done is find the original versions of these tracks for the remastered issue, but I guess that''s not the case?
Also, whatever happenned to the "real" Kolors tapes that the Kolors band recorded in 1982 (mentioned in Celmins book)? Maybe the ganja smoking precluded anything good being captured on tape, but it would be cool to hear them.

mzero
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree...but that's the problem with the whole "Kolors" album. You can hardly hear him on many tracks!
Some awful slide guitar playing drowns him out, and there's some strange echo added.
What they should have done is find the original versions of these tracks for the remastered issue, but I guess that''s not the case?

i could not agree more with this. when the album came out it was distressing. a new peter green record with all this stuff on top obviously not played by peter. many of the tracks of dubious worth in the first place. of course, most of us had no way of knowing then that these were discarded tracks from earlier sessions with a bunch of crazy overdubs. i didn't learn this until i joined the ledge board more than 20 years later!

but there are some songs of quality, bandit being one of them. after hearing the legend version without the panpipes etc, the kolors version is almost unlistenable. i hadn't realized that it may also be sped up (john, you could check the track duration to see if it is appreciably shorter on kolors).

and there are some that aren't great songs that i like even with the overdubs. for reasons i can't explain, i love 'what am i doing here?'; it's kind of the kolors theme song.

dino, you also mentioned tapes made by the kolors band, i don't know this story. can someone summarize when these were made (82-83?) and the circumstances?

zero

Mario
06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Also, whatever happenned to the "real" Kolors tapes that the Kolors band recorded in 1982 (mentioned in Celmins book)? Maybe the ganja smoking precluded anything good being captured on tape, but it would be cool to hear them.

Well, I will forward this question to Martin and if he will answer, I will let you know.

Mario.

wetcamelfood
06-09-2005, 04:09 PM
i hadn't realized that it may also be sped up (john, you could check the track duration to see if it is appreciably shorter on kolors).

Well, I hate to sound difficult here but I just checked and the Legend Bandit on my CD counter goes to 2:56 & the Kolors Bandit goes to 3:03, so I guess my theory about it being sped up can't be right (since the times should've been the other way around in order for this theory to work). Unless, they faded it out earlier on Kolors (making it appear as though the original would've been shorter) and I must admit that I get so lost "trying to hear the Legend Bandit inside the Kolors Bandit" that I can't say I can tell on listening if that's what they did, so it must be either:

1. They sped it up and faded it out "earlier", or,

2. It's a different version.

...so what do you guys think? Hey, maybe I should post this as a poll, I don't think we've ever had a poll on the PG board before! :)

John

Mario
06-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, I will forward this question to Martin and if he will answer, I will let you know.

Mario.

Ok here you get Martin's answer:

"I recently asked Mike Green the same question and he doesn't know either"

So maybe I can suggest to you guys (and myself too), that if you are really keen, you can hire a private detective to try and trace Knocker and Zilch!

Mario.

Mario
06-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, I hate to sound difficult here but I just checked and the Legend Bandit on my CD counter goes to 2:56 & the Kolors Bandit goes to 3:03, so I guess my theory about it being sped up can't be right (since the times should've been the other way around in order for this theory to work). Unless, they faded it out earlier on Kolors (making it appear as though the original would've been shorter) and I must admit that I get so lost "trying to hear the Legend Bandit inside the Kolors Bandit" that I can't say I can tell on listening if that's what they did, so it must be either:

1. They sped it up and faded it out "earlier", or,

2. It's a different version.

...so what do you guys think? Hey, maybe I should post this as a poll, I don't think we've ever had a poll on the PG board before! :)

John

Well, my money goes for a different version!

Mario.

dino
06-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Well, my money goes for a different version!

Mario.

Hmm...I think it's the same version, but edited differently, if you notice
I think it's missing a bridge while the basic melody is
repeated over and over compared to the Legend version. Not sure though...