PDA

View Full Version : First Train Home

Tom
04-25-2005, 10:33 PM
MAN! What a fantastic tune. I was painting a room today, and I popped the "The Original Fleetwood Mac" CD into the player. I had to listen to "First Train Home" a few times. I know Peter (and Danny) questioned their own attempts to do the "black mans" music. But Peter absolutley freakin' nailed the blues on this cut IMO. His playing, and his vocal (stunning vocal) - full of the painful blues feeling. The blues don't get much better than that song.
Just had to say that.

dino
04-26-2005, 05:29 AM
I agree with you, Tom!
That's from the first Fleetwood mac session in early 1967 if I remember correctly.
No other white musician has played and sang the blues as genuinely as Green in his prime in my opinion.
Clapton? Not close.

Tom
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Dino =
There are a few great tunes on that CD from the first session with just Greeny, Fleetwood, and Mac. "Drifting" is another great one.

I am a big fan of Clapton also. I think the closest he came to "nailing" the blues was when he was pineing for Patty Harrison (aka Layla) but didn't have her yet. There's a tune on the "Layla" album called, "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" that is loaded with the feeling of the blues.
The fact that these two guitar greats have both paid tribute to Robert Johnson in the recent past is pretty cool. It would have been cooler if they had some how hooked up together. Are there any recordings of PG and EC playing together, besides that one cut from the Boston Tea Party gig?

dino
04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Yep,
that's probably the closest Clapton came to "nailing" it. An amazing performance. And probably at the right time: Cream were more into "jamming", with pointless long long solos, and Clapton post-heroin made softer music.
Don't think there's any more tape of Peter and Eric together...There was an "all-star" encore at the Bill Wyman concert last year, playing "land of 1000 dances", but Eric had left, and Peter you can't hear..

SteveMacD
04-26-2005, 02:10 PM
What's odd is that both have expressed interest in working together.

chiliD
04-26-2005, 04:52 PM
The entire PGSG Time Traders album sounds like it could've been recorded by Clapton. (well, except for "Underway" & part 2 of "Wild Dogs"...that's signature Peter Green!)

Peter's at his Clapton-esque best on most of the tunes. "Until The Well Runs Dry" & "Real World", most specifically, he sounds like Clapton....A LOT!!

SteveMacD
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
MAN! What a fantastic tune. I was painting a room today, and I popped the "The Original Fleetwood Mac" CD into the player. I had to listen to "First Train Home" a few times. I know Peter (and Danny) questioned their own attempts to do the "black mans" music. But Peter absolutley freakin' nailed the blues on this cut IMO. His playing, and his vocal (stunning vocal) - full of the painful blues feeling. The blues don't get much better than that song.
Just had to say that.

It's a great album. I especially like "Fool No More," "Mean Old Fireman," and "Leaving Town Blues."

chiliD
04-27-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm partial to "Watch Out" & "Ramblin' Pony" :D :shrug: :nod: