PDA

View Full Version : New Nord Stage Piano

David
04-08-2005, 01:03 PM
All you Christine fans & keyboard players might be excited about the unveiling of the prototype of the Nord (Clavia) Stage Piano at last week's Frankfurt Musicmesse.

It combines the best of the Electro with some wild new features, all in one 88-key weighted-action board.

With the new patches on the Stage, you'll be able to capture about 80 percent of the Christine McVie catalog of keyboards throughout her career: Yamaha CP-7 acoustic grand, Rhodes Suitcase, Rhodes Stage, Hohner Pianet, Hohner Clavinet, Hammond B3, Vox Continental, Farfisa, Wurlitzer 120/200, & the Yamaha CP-70/80 electric grand.

http://www.clavia.se/news/nordstagechecklist.htm

Since it's still at prototype stage, by the time it hits the market it might even include some of the other bits & pieces you can find on Fleetwood Mac albums, like ARP, Mellotron & Moog, on its analog synth patch panel.

For a video demonstration: http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse05/

jbrownsjr
04-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow! :eek:

dougl
04-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I wish I could afford one of these babies. In the meantime I'm having fun with my Emu PK-6 which I outfitted with the Vintage ROM all for around $500. The Wurly and the Rhodes are fine, the organ's a little rough though.

David
04-09-2005, 10:28 AM
I wish I could afford one of these babies. In the meantime I'm having fun with my Emu PK-6 which I outfitted with the Vintage ROM all for around $500. The Wurly and the Rhodes are fine, the organ's a little rough though. Now help me out here doug. As I understand it there's a vintage keys expansion & a classic keys expansion (& maybe even a vintage keys PRO?).....from Emu.

does one of those have a pianet?

With all the focus on the new stage piano, the Nord Electro has just walked off with the 2005 Musikmesse International Press Award. (I spotted this on the Apple site as they are crowing about their own award for GarageBand as well as their Jam Pack sound library.) Congrats to the Clavia staff.

dougl
04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
The vintage keys ROM that I installed has the same sounds that are found on the Emu VK-6. You can find a list of the presets here: http://www.americanmusical.com/manuals/emuensoniq/emu9728_manual.pdf
Look for 'preset listing' on the menu.
Alas, there is no pianet or anything similar that I have found. The vintage synths are fun though. I'm still figuring trying to figure out how to tweak the beast.

Alexbt
04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't recall Chris ever using a Farfisa. (I'm 99% sure. The Rumours DVD-A is wrong in its instrument listings. I don't recall which it said she was using it on, but many people confuse the sound of a Vox Continental with that of the Farfisa.)

I've also never heard of her using a Wurly piano. She has said in interviews that she didn't like them.

Nor have I heard of her using the CP-70/CP-80. She always toured with a real grand. She did use a CP-30, but that was more like the Pianets.

macfan 57
04-27-2005, 06:13 AM
I don't recall Chris ever using a Farfisa. (I'm 99% sure. The Rumours DVD-A is wrong in its instrument listings. I don't recall which it said she was using it on, but many people confuse the sound of a Vox Continental with that of the Farfisa.)

I think it was listed on "Oh Daddy". A mistake is certainly possible, because there are other mistakes in the instrument listings on the DVD-A.

David
04-27-2005, 10:43 AM
My OP was worded poorly. I didn't mean to say that chris played literally all those instruments, only some of them.

However, she did use Wurly -- we have photos of her playing Wurly 200A from back in the Jeremy Spencer days for some "Pops" TV show (& she played a CP-80 at a muscular dystrophy benefit at UCLA in '83)

As for inaccuracies on the DVD-A instrumentation list, see my question to Ken Caillat in his Q&A several yrs back.

Still, the Nord Stage Piano will have samples of a big chunk of her boards from her middle yrs. (although some of those samples, like the pianet, are supposed to be made available as flash memory downloads for the Nord Electro, which you should have by now)

Forgot to add: Lesley's Madness Fades site is posting (little by little) the full-band notations for the whole Rumours album. Those of you players who want to wallow in Chris's style should really download those PDF files -- especially "Don't stop" -- because you can see essentially (though not always exactly) what's going on in her arrangements. After downloading, practice practice practice!

Big shout out to Les for doing that!! :xoxo:

HomerMcvie
04-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Still, the Nord Stage Piano will have samples of a big chunk of her boards from her middle yrs. (although some of those samples, like the pianet, are supposed to be made available as flash memory downloads for the Nord Electro, which you should have by now)
The two guys I know that have the Electro just RAVE about it. I've only played with one once. Pretty damned cool. :cool:

Alexbt
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
And this site would be where?

David
04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
And this site would be where?Sorry about that, Alex. It's www.madnessfades.net, the Sheet Music link.