PDA

View Full Version : Live recordings of Greeny 1970 / 1971

monkeydevil
02-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Has anybody heard (of) any recordings with Peter Green playing solo or jamming with others since his departure from Fleetwod Mac???!

He seemed to play quite a lot during 1970 and 1971, and there is also mention somewhere on this forum of a TV performance from 1971 where he is playing Heavy Heart. It would be the missing link for any Greeny fan to hear him live from this period.

manfred
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Oh yes, you're absolutely right. But I would be happy, if I had the chance to buy the two official singles of that era somewhere:

Heavy Heart / No Way Out
Reprise RS 27012
Juni 1971

Beasts of Burden / Uganda Woman
Reprise K 14141
Januar 1972

To find them is really a hard job.

Regards
Manfred

monkeydevil
03-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I had to look for the solo singles for several years before I found them.

Another great project (Rhino, please! :cool: ) would be the reissue of the Complete End Of The Game Sessions. Legend has it they where recording for an entire night, so there should be plenty to release, coupled with the solo singles and eventual outtakes from those sessions. A nice 4 CD box set maybe... :laugh:

dino
03-02-2005, 06:21 AM
The appearance on TOTP was not live, I've heard from a reliable source here on The ledge.
They just "mime" to a tape of the single. Would be fun to see anyway...
I've got two live shows from the re-union tour with Peter and Mac from spring 1971,
Fillmore 26/2/71 and Long island 27/3/71. Although the sound is bad on both,
you can hear Peter well, something that can't be said about the Swing auditorium tape from 1971.
After that there doesn't seem to be any taped shows untill the "Kolors era" 1982-84.
Peter

monkeydevil
03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info about TOTP! A pity though. But it is really strange that no recordings have surfaced. He seem to have been gigging a lot in different "loose" contexts around 1970-1972 and SOMETHING should have been recorded... Although it probably isn't in circulation.

Mario
03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I think one tape (60 min.) is the 1970 Bath Festival, the line-up being Peter, John Mayall, Rod Mayall, Ritch Grecth and Aynsley Dunbar..........

Mario.

rhubarb
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Heavy Heart is available on the FM 'Changes' DVD (of dubious legality!) This can usually be found on e-bay.

Given the nature of TOTP (certainly circa 1971-72), this is truely a bizarre performance. God knows what the studio audience must have thought :-)

monkeydevil
03-04-2005, 02:25 AM
That's true. I have only 2 songs though... "It might as well be raining" and one more. How many songs do they play on the 60 minute tape?

dino
03-04-2005, 05:58 AM
I think it's 6 or seven songs on the Bath tape. It's really good,
at least Peter's playing. With Aynsley Dunbar, Rick Grech, Mayall and
and Roderick Mayall.
What would be cool to hear is a tape of Peter playing
with Nick Buck, summer 1970

monkeydevil
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Heavy Heart is available on the FM 'Changes' DVD (of dubious legality!) This can usually be found on e-bay.

Given the nature of TOTP (certainly circa 1971-72), this is truely a bizarre performance. God knows what the studio audience must have thought :-)
That sounds really interesting! Couldn't find anything on the internet though, and no completed auction on eBay? Are you sure the DVD is called "Changes"?

rhubarb
03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
:thumbsup:
Yup...........it's called 'Changes'

Tracklisting
Peter Green era:
1 Rattlesnake Shake - Playboy after dark 1969
2 Oh well / Bad woman blues (a.k.a, Like crying) - Monster music mash 1969
3 Rattlesnake shake-Swedish tv 1969
4 Heavy Heart (solo) TOTP

Bob Welch era:
5 Green Manalishi
6 Spare me a little
7 Black Magic woman - all from Don kirshners 'Rock concert' 1974

Buckingham / Nicks era:
8 Rhiannon
9 Miles away
10 Over my head - all from 'Midnight special' 1976
11 Rhiannon
12 Say you love me
13 Go your own way
14 Im so afraid - Rosebud film 1977

The label says 'Silverstone Films 2004' under licence from'Thin air productions' Tokyo.

Just keep your eyes open on e-bay. It comes up fairly regularly! :D

monkeydevil
03-05-2005, 04:26 AM

Tracklisting
Peter Green era:

Bob Welch era:
5 Green Manalishi
6 Spare me a little

Buckingham / Nicks era:
8 Rhiannon
9 Miles away
11 Rhiannon
12 Say you love me
13 Go your own way

The label says 'Silverstone Films 2004' under licence from'Thin air productions' Tokyo.

Thanks for that info! I'm gonna check the next big record fair, those japanese bootDVD:s usually turn up there! :cool:

rhubarb
03-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh yes, you're absolutely right. But I would be happy, if I had the chance to buy the two official singles of that era somewhere:

Heavy Heart / No Way Out
Reprise RS 27012
Juni 1971

Beasts of Burden / Uganda Woman
Reprise K 14141
Januar 1972

To find them is really a hard job.

Regards
Manfred

'Heavy Heart / No Way Out / Beasts of Burden' are available on the bootleg cd
'Session Man Vol 1' (Head label)

'Uganda Woman' is missing in action :distress:

rhubarb
03-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6375274600&rd=1 :D

monkeydevil
03-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Thanks! It is actually me who is bidding on it. :D

chiliD
03-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Buckingham / Nicks era:
8 Rhiannon
9 Miles away

That's wrong.

Only "Rhiannon" & "Over My Head" were from the 1976 Midnight Special appearance..."Miles Away" was from the Mystery To Me-era band when they were on Midnight Special in 1973...they performed "Believe Me" at that 1973 appearance, as well.

rhubarb
03-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Im quoting from the dvd sleeve...I haven't got the slightest interest in B/N mac. :shrug:

chiliD
03-08-2005, 07:04 PM
I wasn't correcting you...just the information given. Obviously, the DVD sleeve is wrong. "Miles Away" was performed on Midnight Special almost two years before Buckingham Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac.

The personnel on "Miles Away" is (for those who don't happen to know the Mystery To Me-era FMac) :

Bob Welch: guitar, vocals
Bob Weston: lead guitar, background vocals
Christine McVie: keyboards, background vocals
John McVie: bass
Mick Fleetwood: drums

rhubarb
03-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I wasn't correcting you...just the information given. Obviously, the DVD sleeve is wrong. "Miles Away" was performed on Midnight Special almost two years before Buckingham Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac.

The personnel on "Miles Away" is (for those who don't happen to know the Mystery To Me-era FMac) :

Bob Welch: guitar, vocals
Bob Weston: lead guitar, background vocals
Christine McVie: keyboards, background vocals
John McVie: bass
Mick Fleetwood: drums

This is perplexing!! Obviously with over 2000 posts under your belt you know a thing or two about FM :thumbsup: And by my own admission, I know nothing about B/N Mac- so I bow to your expertise.
However I decided to watch the footage (having never bothered before.)Sure enough they are performing a song with 'Miles away' in the lyrics.Chris McVie handles the vocals and B/N the harmonies. This is definately not the m2m lineup.

Can you shed further light??

chiliD
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Um...hmmm... :shrug: ...this IS perplexing.

Ok, know at the 1975 Midnight Special performance, they ONLY played "Rhiannon", "Why", "World Turning" & "Over My Head".

Could it be either "Why" or "World Turning"? (neither of which has "miles away" in the lyric; hence my confusion) On "World Turning", Christine would be at the microphone playing maracas, not behind the keyboards (until later in the song) and alternating verses with Lindsey; Stevie would sing on the chorus only...and Mick would play an African Talking drum solo in the middle. Does that describe the tune?

rhubarb
03-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Hehehe....i've figured it out:D You were right - it's a typo!
I did a search on the net for the lyrics of 'Miles away' and compared them to the footage. Not even remotely close.
Then it dawned on me that the lyric 'Miles away' sounded similar to 'Melt away'. A quick search on the web confirmed the song to be 'Why." Never having heard either song before I guess it was an easy mistake to make!! :sorry:

sharksfan2000
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Tracklisting
Peter Green era:

Bob Welch era:
5 Green Manalishi
6 Spare me a little

Buckingham / Nicks era:
8 Rhiannon
9 Miles away
11 Rhiannon
12 Say you love me
13 Go your own way

In case anyone is still looking for this DVD (which I suspect is not an official release), it's available at Saturn Records in Oakland, CA:
Saturn Records (http://www.saturnrecords.com/cgi-bin/saturn)
Just search for "Fleetwood Mac" and the "Changes" DVD will come up along with a lot of other interesting "unofficial" releases. I've ordered from Saturn and they've been reliable in my experience.