PDA

View Full Version : Classic Hollywood Beauties

Villavic
11-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Ok, since we have been talking about hot people, let ask you who is your favorite beauty from old Hollywood.
I know there is a lot I'm forgetting, so feel free to mention if your fave is not included in the poll.

Villavic
11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Btw, mine is Elizabeth Taylor, followed very close by Vivien Leigh.

And yes, many of classic beauties are still hot, like Sophia. She is 70 and she was very HOT for her birthday

wondergirl9847
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Out of the ones on the list, I chose Grace Kelly. She was a Princess, after all. Also, she's the most classy, IMO. She was terrific in High Society, one of my fave musicals.

dissention
11-22-2004, 03:45 PM
No Mae West? :distress: :laugh: :lol:

GardenStateGirlie
11-22-2004, 03:46 PM
I <3 Catherine and Grace.....

...but i had to pick Catherine :D

dissention
11-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I <3 Catherine and Grace.....

...but i had to pick Catherine :D

Catherine is a classic Hollywood beauty? She's rather contemporary. Gorgeous, nonetheless.

amber
11-22-2004, 03:52 PM
I just had to type something. But i picked Vivien Leigh. Dark hair, light eyes, good actress, played scarlett, scorpio....was there ever another choice?

DrummerDeanna
11-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Vivien Leigh - hands down.

The first time I saw Gone With the Wind I totally fell in love with her - and I've read a biography - she was messed up but yeah - I find her fascinating and absolutely beautiful...:nod:

GardenStateGirlie
11-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Catherine is a classic Hollywood beauty? She's rather contemporary. Gorgeous, nonetheless.

Hey buddy, I didn't make the poll :laugh: When I think "classic" she might not be the name to come to mind. Timless? Totally.

GardenStateGirlie
11-22-2004, 04:23 PM
I just had to type something. But i picked Vivien Leigh. Dark hair, light eyes, good actress, played scarlett, scorpio....was there ever another choice?

Gone With The Wind <3 I love her in that film

amber
11-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Hey buddy, I didn't make the poll :laugh: When I think "classic" she might not be the name to come to mind. Timless? Totally.
Most beautiful? No. :wavey:

GardenStateGirlie
11-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Most beautiful? No. :wavey:

Whatever you say Adjani lover :cool:

amber
11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Whatever you say Adjani lover :cool:
:laugh:
I wish.
At least we can both acknowledge how awesome scarlett was... :p

Serrart
11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Among those in the list, for me it's a tie between Great Garbo and Grace Kelly.

Generally speaking in my Classic Hollywood Beauties list there are also:
Carol Lombard - My favourite, especially for her great sense of humour and self-irony
Katharine Hepburn :thumbsup:
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Jean Harlow
Rita Hayworth
Claudette Colbert
Paulette Godard
Claire Bloom
Hedy Lamarr

Romy

heyjupiter678
11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
I chose Greta Garbo. She was completely mysterious and gorgeous. :nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/peoB2.jpg

chiliD
11-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Hedy Lamarr

"That's HEDLEY!"

Serrart
11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
"That's HEDLEY!"

Hey, that's one of my favorite anti-heroes :nod::

[Bart, disguised as a Klansman, describes his qualifications as a villain.]
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinky! Sign here. :laugh:

Blazing Saddles is a masterpiece. :cool:

Villavic
11-22-2004, 06:32 PM

You're right. She's more from the 70s, a period not so classic. I made a mistake, but she is so beautiful tha I couldn't help it.

I remember the E! True Hollywood Story: Studio 54. A barman was telling abou all celebrities he met there, and when he talked about Catherin he was really excited. He said it was the most beautiful face he ever saw in his life

Hawkeye
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I voted Greta Garbo just for inspiring 2 Stevie songs. Unfotuntly both are mediocre at best but still she made 2 Stevie songs.

wondergirl9847
11-22-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd quite like a male counterpart to this thread: classic Hollywood hunks....

Exactly! :nod:

estranged4life
11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
for Greta Garbo...Hands down a beautiful woman!

Brian j.

madformac
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Grace Kelly for me..

Apart from being a stunning actress and looking like a princess before she actually became one, if it wasn't for her we wouldn't have had Princesses Caroline and Stephanie to look at too.. ;) :D :p

estranged4life
11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey, that's one of my favorite anti-heroes :nod::

[Bart, disguised as a Klansman, describes his qualifications as a villain.]
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinky! Sign here. :laugh:

Blazing Saddles is a masterpiece. :cool:

30th anniversary DVD of Blazing Saddles has the unreleased "Black Bart" TV pilot with Louis Gossett as Bart and that pilot is hella hilarious.

Interesting to hear that Richard Pryor wrote most of the material for Mongo instead of for Bart.

Brian "What in the Wide Wide World of Sports..." j.

amber
11-22-2004, 07:30 PM
for Greta Garbo...Hands down a beautiful woman!

Brian j.
thin lips. Alligator mouth. :D

xdreamsunwindx
11-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Where's the Audrey Hepburn love? :(

Anyways, I went with Marilyn Monroe. Absolutely stunning.

-Kate

GypsySorcerer
11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Had to go with my gal Marilyn, whom I've adored since birth practically. :laugh: Other women were more beautiful (Grace Kelly, etc) but she just had something special. I loved that she combined sex appeal with humor.

amber
11-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Where's the Audrey Hepburn love? :(

Anyways, I went with Marilyn Monroe. Absolutely stunning.

-Kate
Audrey is gorg. most expressive eyes. I had a good sized obsession with Marilyn between ages 13-15 or so. knew everything about her. Couldn't rightly pick a blond for most beautiful. Also, some of her performances brought embarrassment to my cheeks.(bus stop, mainly) Plus, i really thought Vivien was most beautiful.

ontheEdgeof17
11-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Miss Leigh.....no one could wear drapes better.

amber
11-23-2004, 12:46 AM
:lol: :laugh:
member the "red dress of shame" on gone with the wind? Oh my god, be still my heart. *gush* *swoon* *drool*

GardenStateGirlie
11-23-2004, 12:53 AM
:lol: :laugh:
member the "red dress of shame" on gone with the wind? Oh my god, be still my heart. *gush* *swoon* *drool*

Raise your hand if you own a GWTW doll!!

*raises hand*

"Frankly my dear I don't give a damn"

:dies:

I think I need the anniversary addition on DVD for Christmas.

amber
11-23-2004, 12:59 AM

*raises hand*

Whoa! Raise your hand if you went to see the reissue in the theatres by yourself for your 25th birthday! *raises hand* :p

Johnny Stew
11-23-2004, 01:01 AM

"Thank you! I saw it in the window, and I couldn't resist!" :laugh:

I second the nomination for Vivian Leigh. Raven hair, eyes the color of a storm-tossed sea, intense gaze... she was perfection. :nod:

amber
11-23-2004, 01:06 AM
"Thank you! I saw it in the window, and I couldn't resist!" :laugh:

I second the nomination for Vivian Leigh. Raven hair, eyes the color of a storm-tossed sea, intense gaze... she was perfection. :nod:
Don't forget the scorpio part :laugh: Who'd you vote for, Stewleone? you didn't pick a blond, did you, you traitor :laugh:

Janet
11-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Vivien Leigh!

I thought I'd be the only one to vote for her.

I have been obsessed with her since I was 13 and first saw GWTW, she had green eyes and she was a scorpio and when I was young, I was told I looked like her TWICE by two different people LOL. I do NOT look like her but that was THE highest compliment ever. I don't even ever mention it because I could never be in that realm of natural beauty.

She is the epitimy of gorgeousness to me.

The rest are amazing too.

If Audrey were there, I might have voted her, since , basically, I have seen ALL of her movies and I thought she was stunning in every single one.

Johnny Stew
11-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Who'd you vote for, Stewleone? you didn't pick a blond, did you, you traitor :laugh:

I picked Vivien Leigh, of course. :nod:

I've always found brunette women to be more alluring than blond ones.
Lynda Carter, Jaclyn Smith, Veronica Hamel, Delta Burke, Ann Wilson, Stephanie Kramer... the brunette ladies got it goin' on! Stevie's always been about the only exception to that. :D

amber
11-23-2004, 01:18 AM
I picked Vivien Leigh, of course. :nod:

I've always found brunette women to be more alluring than blond ones.
Lynda Carter, Jaclyn Smith, Veronica Hamel, Delta Burke, Ann Wilson, Stephanie Kramer... the brunette ladies got it goin' on! Stevie's always been about the only exception to that. :D
:thumbsup: okay, i thought you said Viv was your second choice. I must be myopically senile. yeah, what happened to Stepfanie (weird spelling, but true, i think) Kramer. she was so pretty.

Johnny Stew
11-23-2004, 01:28 AM
:thumbsup: okay, i thought you said Viv was your second choice. I must be myopically senile.

No, I was saying that I second Curtis' nomination. Not that she was my second choice. (My second choice on that list would be Elizabeth Taylor.)

yeah, what happened to Stepfanie (weird spelling, but true, i think) Kramer. she was so pretty.

I knew she spelled it differently, but I couldn't remember exactly how. I started to type "Stefanie," but remembered that was how Stefanie Powers spells hers.

I think Stepfanie Kramer pretty much retired from showbiz to raise a family, with the exception of an occasional TV movie here and there. Plus, she did the 'Hunter' reunion shows.

amber
11-23-2004, 01:43 AM
No, I was saying that I second Curtis' nomination. Not that she was my second choice. (My second choice on that list would be Elizabeth Taylor.)

I knew she spelled it differently, but I couldn't remember exactly how. I started to type "Stefanie," but remembered that was how Stefanie Powers spells hers.

I think Stepfanie Kramer pretty much retired from showbiz to raise a family, with the exception of an occasional TV movie here and there. Plus, she did the 'Hunter' reunion shows.
oh. sorry :) Yeah, and actually, Stefanie Powers is really cool, too. Is Hart to Hart out on DVD? *I can't believe i just said that* :)

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-23-2004, 04:09 AM
My choice isn't there - Judy Garland

GypsySorcerer
11-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Hey, why all the blond dissing? :laugh: :wavey: Are you guys forgetting Vivien was a blonde in Streetcar? Of course, you could hardly tell it was her.

dissention
11-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Whoa! Raise your hand if you went to see the reissue in the theatres by yourself for your 25th birthday! *raises hand* :p

They reissued it back in '98, if memory serves correctly. The DVD they released afterwards sucked.

dissention
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I wish that Katharine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn were on there. They were both stunning women and both had the personalities to match.

A few nights ago, they aired a clip on E! from a 1990 interview between Katharine and Donahue. He wanted her to autograph a copy of her book for him, but she didn't even know his name. :laugh: She had to guess what his name was, but she ended up getting frustrated and said she was just going to sign her name because she couldn't remember his. :lol:

Patti
11-23-2004, 09:41 AM
I picked Vivien Leigh. I love her to bits and Scarlett O'Hara is my favorite character in any book or movie. She was absolutely a stunning woman. Her counterpart for hunk would definitely be Clark Gable. I had a crush on him from about age 6 or 7, that continues to this day. Scarlett and Rhett...it just doesn't get any better.

In the useless information department, when my mother was younger, her face was a dead ringer for Audrey Hepburn. Their body types were totally different, but dear ol' mom looked just like Audrey. Too bad I didn't inherit those genes. :(

cliffdweller
11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
I chose Greta Garbo. She was completely mysterious and gorgeous. :nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/peoB2.jpg

:nod: Ah yes, "The Face." Garbo is an immortal goddess.

DrummerDeanna
11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
They reissued it back in '98, if memory serves correctly. The DVD they released afterwards sucked.

yep it must have been 98 because I took a friend to see it who'd never seen it - and she left town sometime in late 98 :nod:

And yeah - the cheap ass $10 dollar GWTW DVD sucks...I'm looking forward to the special edition - which my mom has already told everyone not to get me (because she's getting it for me :D )

TheBlueLamp
11-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Out of the choices available I chose Marilyn. However if it was an open choice I would've chosen Joan Crawford. There's something about her I find absolutely mesmerising.

Nick

SuzeQuze
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM

*raises hand*

:wavey: I have the Barbie doll! :D

amber
11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
I wish that Katharine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn were on there. They were both stunning women and both had the personalities to match.

A few nights ago, they aired a clip on E! from a 1990 interview between Katharine and Donahue. He wanted her to autograph a copy of her book for him, but she didn't even know his name. :laugh: She had to guess what his name was, but she ended up getting frustrated and said she was just going to sign her name because she couldn't remember his. :lol:
I don't think katherine is usually thought of as a great beauty. I think Audrey is, though.

amber
11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Out of the choices available I chose Marilyn. However if it was an open choice I would've chosen Joan Crawford. There's something about her I find absolutely mesmerising.

Nick
gross. but if Joan gets to go on, then so does Bette. same with if Katherine goes on. but none of those 3 are really great beauties, i don't think.

DrummerDeanna
11-23-2004, 12:43 PM
:wavey: I have the Barbie doll! :D

I always wanted the dolls...never got them though :(

Then one Christmas I had this best friend right - and her parents always gave her everything her little heart desired...well I was MEGA into GWTW - and she sort of liked it - well - she asked her parents for all this GWTW stuff...and of course got it ALL - a music box, posters, movie = all sorts of stuff...and all I got was the movie....she didn't even truly LOVE the film..I was SO jealous lol...she's since given away all the stuff (and NOT to me...) so annoying :nod:

dissention
11-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I don't think katherine is usually thought of as a great beauty. I think Audrey is, though.

She is. :nod: Katharine was stunning back in her day. She was considered one of the big gets for any movie, they used to call her The First Lady of Cinema. :nod: She was at the height of her beauty in Woman of the Year, IMO. They actually wanted her for Gone With the Wind instead of Vivian Leigh.

TheBlueLamp
11-23-2004, 12:58 PM
gross. but if Joan gets to go on, then so does Bette. same with if Katherine goes on. but none of those 3 are really great beauties, i don't think.

I love Bette almost as much as I do Joan. Ok, maybe they're not conventional "la la peaches & cream dainty" pretty but I've always liked the more unconventional looking beauty.

Grace Kelly? Ingrid Bergman? Deborah Kerr? Blah. To me they're average looking.

Maybe I'm just weird :]

Nick

amber
11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
She is. :nod: Katharine was stunning back in her day. She was considered one of the big gets for any movie, they used to call her The First Lady of Cinema. :nod: She was at the height of her beauty in Woman of the Year, IMO. They actually wanted her for Gone With the Wind instead of Vivian Leigh. This is one of my favorite pics of her:

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif
I can't see the pic. And they also wanted Bette for GWTW. And I don't think, though of course she was a big 'get' for movies, that she was thought of as a great beauty.
Also, I think she has horse face. :wavey:

amber
11-23-2004, 01:01 PM
I love Bette almost as much as I do Joan. Ok, maybe they're not conventional "la la peaches & cream dainty" pretty but I've always liked the more unconventional looking beauty.

Grace Kelly? Ingrid Bergman? Deborah Kerr? Blah. To me they're average looking.

Maybe I'm just weird :]

Nick
rock. :wavey:

heyjupiter678
11-23-2004, 01:02 PM
I don't think katherine is usually thought of as a great beauty.
She wasn't a sexpot, by any means, but she was still very striking and beautiful, IMO.

amber
11-23-2004, 01:04 PM
She wasn't a sexpot, by any means, but she was still very striking and beautiful, IMO.
kay. Horse. :laugh: naw, she was ok. nice cheekbones, i guess. I prefer Bette, so i can't prefer Katherine. it's a thing. :laugh:

dissention
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I can't see the pic. And they also wanted Bette for GWTW. And I don't think, though of course she was a big 'get' for movies, that she was thought of as a great beauty.
Also, I think she has horse face. :wavey:

I know, I couldn't get the pic to work.

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks these days, she was considered a great beauty. She was on every studios wishlist for romantic comedies because of her beauty, they knew she packed in the seats.

Selznick wanted Hepburn when he started casting GWTW, but she was busy with other films. Then he wanted Davis, but Warners wouldn't let her do it unless Selznick hired Errol Flynn as Rhett. When she heard about it, she said there was no way in hell she'd ever do it. :laugh:

dissention
11-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Exactly. Being considered a great beauty is not about looking like you drip with sex. Katharine was, and is, considered to be one of the most beautiful movie stars of that era.

amber
11-23-2004, 01:11 PM
I know, I couldn't get the pic to work.

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks these days, she was considered a great beauty. She was on every studios wishlist for romantic comedies because of her beauty, they knew she packed in the seats.

Selznick wanted Hepburn when he started casting GWTW, but she was busy with other films. Then he wanted Davis, but Warners wouldn't let her do it unless Selznick hired Errol Flynn as Rhett. When she heard about it, she said there was no way in hell she'd ever do it. :laugh:
Yeah, i know, i've read the books. And she wasn't really considered a great beauty. She was considered a great actress. And an ok beauty. but, clearly you think opposite, and i don't care THAT much. :D

dissention
11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah, i know, i've read the books. And she wasn't really considered a great beauty. She was considered a great actress. And an ok beauty. but, clearly you think opposite, and i don't care THAT much. :D

That's alright because it just proves you're wrong. :D :xoxo:

She was considered a great beauty and a great actress.

wondergirl9847
11-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I've never seen GWTW (don't care to, either), but I've seen Streetcar (one of my fave movies). Vivian was pretty, but I'm sticking with Grace....the Princess. :)

heyjupiter678
11-23-2004, 01:21 PM
:nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/katharine.jpg

Serrart
11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
She is. :nod: Katharine was stunning back in her day. She was considered one of the big gets for any movie, they used to call her The First Lady of Cinema. :nod: She was at the height of her beauty in Woman of the Year, IMO. They actually wanted her for Gone With the Wind instead of Vivian Leigh.

Katharine Hepburn campaigned for the part, but Selznick wasn't convinced. Probably Cukor would have preferred her who was a dear friend, since from day 1 to be on the set with Vivien Leigh was a hell (Gable hated him too), and he had to resign. The only serious opponent to Vivien Leigh had been Paulette Godard, but they couldn't hire her because she was Charlie Chaplin's companion and they weren't married. Actually their story was already over, but Hollywood preferred not to risk.

Romy

amber
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
That's alright because it just proves you're wrong. :D :xoxo:

No, that doesn't prove i'm wrong. weak try, though! :wavey:

dissention
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Katharine Hepburn campaigned for the part, but Selznick wasn't convinced. Probably Cukor would have preferred her who was a dear friend, since from day 1 to be on the set with Vivien Leigh was a hell (Gable hated him too), and he had to resign. The only serious opponent to Vivien Leigh had been Paulette Godard, but they couldn't hire her because she was Charlie Chaplin's companion and they weren't married. Actually their story was already over, but Hollywood preferred not to risk.

Romy

Also, wasn't this during the time when Katharine had quite a few bombs? She only had about two hits from '36-'40 and even Bringing Up Baby didn't do so hot, even though it's now considered a classic. I think her first big comeback was The Philadelphia Story, but I could be wrong.

DrummerDeanna
11-23-2004, 01:28 PM
:nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/katharine.jpg

What a stunning photograph!!!

Everytime someone mentions Katherine Hepburn - I just see her all old and shaky....so thanks for posting that - she was indeed a great beauty :nod:

btw...I still think Vivien Leigh is more beautiful

amber
11-23-2004, 01:28 PM

Romy
Selznick was also not convinced Bette Davis was pretty enough. had the same concerns with Katherine Hepburn.

dissention
11-23-2004, 01:30 PM
No, that doesn't prove i'm wrong. weak try, though! :wavey:

Regardless if you think she looked like a horse or not, it's simply a fact that she was considered a screen beauty. Her unconventional looks are what made her one. Same for actresses like Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, they weren't beautiful in the traditional sense of the word, but they were when you saw them onscreen.

SuzeQuze
11-23-2004, 01:36 PM
I always wanted the dolls...never got them though :(

Then one Christmas I had this best friend right - and her parents always gave her everything her little heart desired...well I was MEGA into GWTW - and she sort of liked it - well - she asked her parents for all this GWTW stuff...and of course got it ALL - a music box, posters, movie = all sorts of stuff...and all I got was the movie....she didn't even truly LOVE the film..I was SO jealous lol...she's since given away all the stuff (and NOT to me...) so annoying :nod:

This is not an old one but an anniversary edition. Unfortunately something bad happened to it in my Dad's attic and the green dress is no longer green :distress:

That's too bad that your friend did not give you any of her GWTW stuff, I'm sure she knew how much you loved it too, that %#*@% :D

Serrart
11-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Also, wasn't this during the time when Katharine had quite a few bombs? She only had about two hits from '36-'40 and even Bringing Up Baby didn't do so hot, even though it's now considered a classic. I think her first big comeback was The Philadelphia Story, but I could be wrong.

As far as I know, you're right. She was starting to be considered box office poison so preferred to come back to theatre where had a huge success in The Philadelphia Story alongside Van Heflin (they also had a little fling). When the movie version was going to be produced she wanted Spencer Tracy (my all time favourite, by the way :nod: ) in Dexter part; she was craving to work with him since she had watched Captains Courageous. He couldn't accept the role, though, because was still shooting Stanley and Livingstone. So she opted for Cary Grant. Van Heflin was sure to have Connor role but she and Grant asked for James Stewart.

Sorry for rambling but I love Hollywood history. :p

Romy

dissention
11-23-2004, 02:09 PM
As far as I know, you're right. She was starting to be considered box office poison so preferred to come back to theatre where had a huge success in The Philadelphia Story alongside Van Heflin (they also had a little fling). When the movie version was going to be produced she wanted Spencer Tracy (my all time favourite, by the way :nod: ) in Dexter part; she was craving to work with him since she had watched Captains Courageous. He couldn't accept the role, though, because was still shooting Stanley and Livingstone. So she opted for Cary Grant. Van Heflin was sure to have Connor role but she and Grant asked for James Stewart.

Sorry for rambling but I love Hollywood history. :p

Romy

Well, when she went back to the stage after a few film bombs, she was vilified by critics AND fans, and her plays went belly-up at first. This was when stories were starting to leak out about her haughty behavior on film sets and there was a backlash regarding her "masculinity." Thankfully, she came back with a vengeance. I'm still amazed at how big of a comeback she masterminded. She won Oscars in the 60s, for cripes sake!

Serrart
11-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Well, when she went back to the stage after a few film bombs, she was vilified by critics AND fans, and her plays went belly-up at first. This was when stories were starting to leak out about her haughty behavior on film sets and there was a backlash regarding her "masculinity." Thankfully, she came back with a vengeance. I'm still amazed at how big of a comeback she masterminded. She won Oscars in the 60s, for cripes sake!

According to the reviewers in the early thirties her style of acting was too stiff for theatre. Dorothy Parker didn't help her either, writing in a review that in a certain play she ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B. :laugh:

The Philadelphia Story, and shortly after The Woman Of The Year, have been the turning points. Tracy, IMO helped her a lot to gain more confidence and be more realaxed in front of the camera. He was also the reason why she didn't have any serious trouble with the Committee for Anti-American Activities, after that Adolphe Menjou (the j**k :mad: ) had strongly recommended to investigate on her.

Romy

dissention
11-23-2004, 02:28 PM
According to the reviewers in the early thirties her style of acting was too stiff for theatre. Dorothy Parker didn't help her either, writing in a review that in a certain play she ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B. :laugh:

Yeah, but there have been lots of stories floating around that the reviewers were just ticked off at her for going hitting the stage. The reports of her supposedly bad behavior were pretty widespread and they kind of viewed it as 'Who does this Hollywood bitch thinks she is, leave the stage to actors.'

The Philadelphia Story, and shortly after The Woman Of The Year, have been the turning points. Tracy, IMO helped her a lot to gain more confidence and be more realaxed in front of the camera. He was also the reason why she didn't have any serious trouble with the Committee for Anti-American Activities, after that Adolphe Menjou (the j**k :mad: ) had strongly recommended to investigate on her.

Romy

Many people hated her in Hollywood because she was so outspoken and if she didn't like you, she made it a point to let you and everyone else know. The lack of make-up and the pantsuits didn't help, either. :laugh: TPS and WOTY are both fantastic films, though I have a greater affection for WOTY. I used to watch that one every day when I was little. :laugh:

David
11-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Katharine Hepburn campaigned for the part, but Selznick wasn't convinced. Probably Cukor would have preferred her who was a dear friend, since from day 1 to be on the set with Vivien Leigh was a hell (Gable hated him too) and he had to resign.Romy, actually Cukor was by all accounts firmly in favor of casting Leigh once he met her. His resignation (a firing, really) had nothing to do with Leigh. He & she remained really close friends for the rest of her life. He was part of her inner circle.

amber
11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Regardless if you think she looked like a horse or not, it's simply a fact that she was considered a screen beauty. Her unconventional looks are what made her one. Same for actresses like Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, they weren't beautiful in the traditional sense of the word, but they were when you saw them onscreen.
I'm not speaking about what i think of her, i'm saying she wasn't really considered a great beauty. We disagree. ATD!

Serrart
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Romy, actually Cukor was by all accounts firmly in favor of casting Leigh once he met her. His resignation (a firing, really) had nothing to do with Leigh. He & she remained really close friends for the rest of her life. He was part of her inner circle.

The reason I know, is that both Gable and Selznick thought he wasn't the right director basically because "too feminine" in his style and gave him everyday a hard time on every single choice he made. I thought Leigh had a little part too in that, I'm glad she didn't and that they remained friends :)

Romy

dissention
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm not speaking about what i think of her, i'm saying she wasn't really considered a great beauty. We disagree. ATD!

And I'm saying that she was considered a beauty by audiences and critics back in her day. That's simply a fact. :shrug:

amber
11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
And I'm saying that she was considered a beauty by audiences and critics back in her day. That's simply a fact. :shrug:
And i disagree. okay? are we all clear on that, now?

dissention
11-23-2004, 03:13 PM
And i disagree. okay? are we all clear on that, now?

Yup. The globe is also flat and if you steer your ship too far off into the sea, you'll drop off the Earth. :xoxo:

amber
11-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Yup. The globe is also flat and if you steer your ship too far off into the sea, you'll drop off the Earth. :xoxo:
Why don't you try that little experiment right now? :)

dissention
11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Why don't you try that little experiment right now? :)

You tell me. ;)