PDA

View Full Version : Did you see U2 on SNL?

skcin
11-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Anyone catch SNL last night (I have to admit I'm mildly shocked that Amber didn't start a thread about it already.) ;)

Anyway, a few skits were funny - Dubya firing Powell as if he were Trump was pretty good, Luke Wilson sucking food off of his "friend's" fingers was priceless. The AMA spoof of Anna Nicole & Diana Ross was alright. And I actually laughed at Debbie Downer.

But U2 stole the whole f*cking show - holy sh*t! They ROCKED! The played Vertigo first, then another new tune (a slower song, almost a ballad - very good.) Bands only play twice on SNL, right? Well, at the end, Luke Wilson intro'd them again & they did I Will Follow - Bono was hugging people in the audience, at one point he was on some girls' lap (luck bitch...) So right at 1am, he goes "OK, one more?" and while they're talking about what tune to play, NBC cuts it. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, fantastic performance. :thumbsup:

Paula

hayley
11-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I watched it! They were awesome. I LOVED hearing "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" (the second track) live. I totally wanted to claw the girl who Bono humped in the audience. I was laughing at the end of "I Will Follow" because he ran over to the cast, and he started dancing with/hugging Amy Poehler, who looked like she was just bawling at first.

I thought the sketches were pretty awful, the only ones I liked were the one with Luke Wilson and the other guy feeding each other, and I actually liked the "coolest teacher in school!" one until the Scooby Doo ending. This was the first ep. of SNL I've watched this season, and... uh... it's really REALLY bad?

amber
11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
i watched. U2 was good but i'm not a huge fan. But I thought "wow, they sound good". I thought the episode was pretty funny, but the best part was the cartoon by Robert Smigel. :D

gldstwmn
11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
I watched it! They were awesome. I LOVED hearing "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" (the second track) live. I totally wanted to claw the girl who Bono humped in the audience. I was laughing at the end of "I Will Follow" because he ran over to the cast, and he started dancing with/hugging Amy Poehler, who looked like she was just bawling at first.

I thought the sketches were pretty awful, the only ones I liked were the one with Luke Wilson and the other guy feeding each other, and I actually liked the "coolest teacher in school!" one until the Scooby Doo ending. This was the first ep. of SNL I've watched this season, and... uh... it's really REALLY bad?

Yep. It was bad. I wondered if that was why U2 played them out instead of the usual ending. That said, U2 was fantastic! They made the show. I was thrilled to hear I Will Follow as well as the new songs. They played one song as the show went off the air. Does anyone know what they played? I was hoping for Pride.

Hawkeye
11-21-2004, 08:40 PM
I thought the opening bit was histerical and the highlight of the show. The Bush cabinenent Apprentice Style and Darryl Hammond was so funny doing Rumsfield, and I didn't like him at first, but I like SNL's new bush even better then farrel which I didn't think could be done.

estranged4life
11-21-2004, 08:47 PM
missed it, Oh well...I am sure the U2 performances will appear on a DVD-R sooner than later.

Brian j.

Johnny Stew
11-21-2004, 10:08 PM
I think I'll be buying the new U2 album just for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own."

Not that I don't like U2, but that song impressed me enough that the rest of the album could suck and it wouldn't matter.

skcin
11-22-2004, 10:13 AM
It's taken me a LONG time to start liking U2. Back when The Joshua Tree came out, I was a big metal-head, so I immediately thought they sucked. I would fight with U2 fans that "my" bands (everyone from Bon Jovi to Metallica) were way better.

The thing is, with a few exceptions, the stuff I used to love just has NOT held up over the years. In fact, much of it sucks! :shrug: I find myself really liking U2 now (and With Or Without You, which I loathed for years, is now one of my favorite songs ever.)

Paula

SuzeQuze
11-22-2004, 12:11 PM
It's taken me a LONG time to start liking U2. Back when The Joshua Tree came out, I was a big metal-head, so I immediately thought they sucked. I would fight with U2 fans that "my" bands (everyone from Bon Jovi to Metallica) were way better.

The thing is, with a few exceptions, the stuff I used to love just has NOT held up over the years. In fact, much of it sucks! :shrug: I find myself really liking U2 now (and With Or Without You, which I loathed for years, is now one of my favorite songs ever.)

Paula

They blew me away. I was also REALLY excited to see I Will Follow and the other songs were phenomenal as well. Bono's random crowd hump was too funny, the girl looked completely aghast, like "I can't believe this is happening."

This is how live music is supposed to be not the rediculousness of Ashlee Simpson a few weeks ago. Quite a contrast!!!

And Bono is still HOT! I love rock, man! :]

skcin
11-22-2004, 12:21 PM
This is how live music is supposed to be not the rediculousness of Ashlee Simpson a few weeks ago. Quite a contrast!!!

Did you guys catch that he kept saying "live...live...live" into the mike before each tune? :D

Paula

estranged4life
11-22-2004, 12:23 PM

Paula

I am still a metal head (More Euro metal than US) and I always liked U2 since the first time I saw the video for "New Year's Day" way back in the day on TBS' "Night Tracks" video show.

Can't wait til tomorrow to hit Best Buy...

Brian j.

Lee
11-24-2004, 09:22 PM
But U2 stole the whole f*cking show - holy sh*t! They ROCKED! The played Vertigo first, then another new tune (a slower song, almost a ballad - very good.) Bands only play twice on SNL, right? Well, at the end, Luke Wilson intro'd them again & they did I Will Follow - Bono was hugging people in the audience, at one point he was on some girls' lap (luck bitch...) So right at 1am, he goes "OK, one more?" and while they're talking about what tune to play, NBC cuts it. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, fantastic performance. :thumbsup:

Paula

My thoughts exactly. They were great. I wanted to hear that song at the end, too, but it got cut off.

I've got "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" on my Christmas Wish List for my husband to get me. Hope he gets the hint!

Lee :)

Imagine80
11-24-2004, 10:08 PM
My thoughts exactly. They were great. I wanted to hear that song at the end, too, but it got cut off.

I've got "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" on my Christmas Wish List for my husband to get me. Hope he gets the hint!

Lee :)

I couldn't even wait for Christmas...in fact, I couldn't even wait until today when I came home from college for Thanksgiving. You definitely won't be disappointed!!

~Megan

celestenadia
11-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Thank God for U2 :)

estranged4life
11-26-2004, 12:22 AM
I couldn't even wait for Christmas...in fact, I couldn't even wait until today when I came home from college for Thanksgiving. You definitely won't be disappointed!!

~Megan

but make sure ya ask to receive the version with the extra DVD instead of the regular CD only version...

"How To Dismantle..." has been in my player for 2 days straight now (Along with Linds' "Out Of The Cradle" & various metal discs) and is fast growing on me.

Brian j.

WelshWitchPMD
11-26-2004, 12:56 AM
I guess that I am the only person on the planet that doesn't care for U2. :eek:

estranged4life
11-26-2004, 01:01 AM

I lost interest in U2 when after their releases after the "Achtung Baby" album when their sound went a lil' too Dance/Techno for my taste, But now that they have that outta their systems I am back as a fan...

Too bad Metallica cant get "sucking ass" outta their systems :lol: :nod:

Brian j.

sparky
11-26-2004, 12:31 PM

Hardly. They kind of bug me. I just listened to their latest cd because I got an advance copy. I like them a little. They are one of those bands that I don't really need as a part of my music collection, other than maybe a greatest hits cd. I think I like about 8 of their songs. Mostly older. I'd probably like them more, but Bono annoys the heck out of me. Then there is also the whole "two chords and an echo box" issue of so many of their songs sounding similar.
So you are not alone !
Like them or not, I do admire their longevity.

amber
11-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Nope... :wavey: They're ok. their new cd sounds good, but nothing i need... :)

wondergirl9847
11-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I can take em or leave em. :shrug: I like a couple of their tunes.