PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Song of all Time - Rolling Stone Mag

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Bob Dylan's classic, Like a Rolling Stone, has been voted the greatest song of all time.

The 1965 hit topped a list in Rolling Stone Magazine, which also featured tunes by The Beatles and The Who.

The Fab Four and the Stones account for most songs on the list, chosen by 172 artists including Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello and K D Lang.

More than 200 of the tunes were penned in the swinging sixties, and 144 were written the following decade. The 1980s, known for glam rock and bad fashion, could offer just 55 songs.

And there were only three songs from the current decade. Eminem's Lose Yourself reached number 166, and the controversial rapper also came in at number 290 with Stan.

OutKast's memorable hit from last year, Hey Ya, came in at number 180.

Dylan's hit was followed by the Rolling Stones' (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and John Lennon's Imagine.

Aretha Franklin came in at number five with her chart topper Respect. She is followed by the Beach Boys with Good Vibrations and then Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode.

The Beatles get their first entry at number eight with Hey Jude - bound to spark debate over whether the tune is the best ever Beatles number.

Just behind the Beatles is Nirvana, with Smells Like Teen Spirit the only offering from recent years in the top 20.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Can't seem to find the full list yet....

Here are the top 20 songs from Rolling Stone Magazine’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time:

Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan

(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones

Imagine, John Lennon

What’s Going On, Marvin Gaye

Respect, Aretha Franklin

Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys

Johnny B Goode, Chuck Berry

Hey Jude, The Beatles

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

What’d I Say, Ray Charles

My Generation, The Who

A Change is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke

Yesterday, The Beatles

Blowin’ in the Wind, Bob Dylan

London Calling, The Clash

I Want to Hold Your Hand, The Beatles

Purple Haze, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Maybellene, Chuck Berry

Hound Dog, Elvis Presley

dissention
11-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Seems like they've made a list of the most recognizable songs, not the "greatest" songs. :shrug:

ontheEdgeof17
11-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Bob Dylan's classic, Like a Rolling Stone, has been voted the greatest song of all time.

UGH. It's like "jaundice that fell off the stage," as Stevie would say...

Is there criteria for this stuff, or is just a few opinions by the critics? I'm guessing pure opinion...

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 01:45 PM

Is there criteria for this stuff, or is just a few opinions by the critics? I'm guessing pure opinion...

These lists are such a snooze fest. They seem more and more meaningless as more are created.

The sexiest men alive list is more interesting to me ;-)

dissention
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
The sexiest men alive list is more interesting to me ;-)

:lol:

For some reason, I'm willing to bet that someone here on The Ledge will take a cue form you and actually create one for a new thread. :lol:

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 01:54 PM
These lists are such a snooze fest. They seem more and more meaningless as more are created.

I've completely lost interest in this maketing ploy. :shrug:

dissention
11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I've completely lost interest in this maketing ploy. :shrug:

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if it was a sexiest man list and George Clooney was on it. :laugh:

Sucks that his pop lost the Senate race, too.

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if it was a sexiest man list and George Clooney was on it. :laugh:

People announced theirs this morning on Today, Jude Law is <i>The Sexiest Man Alive</i>, according to Peeps mag.

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:00 PM
People announced theirs this morning on Today, Jude Law is <i>The Sexiest Man Alive</i>, according to Peeps mag.

:laugh: I think he's rather impish. :laugh:

I was going to see Alfie because Susan Sarandon and Jane Krakowski are in it, who I both find incredibly beautiful, but when I saw he was the star, I balked. I'm SO sick of seeing his face. :nod:

Merf
11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I was happy to see "London Calling" on there, though. One of my faves evahhhh.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM

Ugh - I really don't see the appeal of Jude Law..I really don't find him attractive at all...

Same goes for Colin Farell...blech - I don't get the appeal at all..:shrug: ..not that anyone mentioned Colin Farrell...but I just thought I'd mention him...

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Same goes for Colin Farell...blech - I don't get the appeal at all..:shrug: ..not that anyone mentioned Colin Farrell...but I just thought I'd mention him...

Colin, Jimmy Iovine called and wants his unibrow back! :woohoo:

Seems to me that every time they come out with these "sexiest" lists, the men are always scrubs and the women are blonde bimbos. They should let me compile these lists, they'd actually have class. :laugh:

And I've heard that Alexander is a monstrosity of a film, truly wretched in a Gigli kind of way.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Colin, Jimmy Iovine called and wants his unibrow back! :woohoo:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Damn. Funniest thing I've heard all day....

And I agree about those lists...I rarely agree with the men or women they put on there....but I find them quite meaningless anyway...

wondergirl9847
11-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Sexiest Flavor of the Month is more like it...yawn.

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:40 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Damn. Funniest thing I've heard all day....

And I agree about those lists...I rarely agree with the men or women they put on there....but I find them quite meaningless anyway...

I like reading them. :laugh: Mostly just because I can't believe the dogs they put on those lists and I like laughing at their inclusions! I mean, Colin Farrell? I've seen more attractive rats. Hootchie Spears? Oy vey. Johnny Depp? Great actor, but he looks like a ferret. Keira Knightley? I like some meat with my bone, thankyouverymuch.

amber
11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I like reading them. :laugh: Mostly just because I can't believe the dogs they put on those lists and I like laughing at their inclusions! I mean, Colin Farrell? I've seen more attractive rats. Hootchie Spears? Oy vey. Johnny Depp? Great actor, but he looks like a ferret. Keira Knightley? I like some meat with my bone, thankyouverymuch.
Still, yours would have Nicole Kidman at the top, and i can't, in good conscience, let that happen... :laugh: and speaking of ratface...

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Still, yours would have Nicole Kidman at the top, and i can't, in good conscience, let that happen... :laugh: and speaking of ratface...

I think Nicole Kidman is beautiful. I wouldn't have her at the top, but she'd be on there. Very elegant and classy. She needs to eat a few more pork chops, though.

Maybe I should make my own list. :lol:

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I think Nicole Kidman is beautiful. I wouldn't have her at the top, but she'd be on there. Very elegant and classy. She needs to eat a few more pork chops, though.

Maybe I should make my own list. :lol:

You SHOULD make your own list....could be interesting reading ;)

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
You SHOULD make your own list....could be interesting reading ;)

:laugh: I have another month off of work, why not? :laugh:

I'd like to see yours, especially if you think Colin Farrell is a dog. That's a sure sign that you've got some taste. :lol:

estranged4life
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Seems like they've made a list of the most recognizable songs, not the "greatest" songs. :shrug:

from Rolling Stone...The magazine that made sucking up/sucking ass an American passtime!

The late Nirvana singer/guitarist Kurt GO-BANG could've crapped in a hat and sold it to these braindead mindwads and they would've kissed that pile faster than anything in history...And they wouldve said it was the #1 song EVER!

Nirvana comparable to the Beatles...Yeah right!

Brian "Boom Boom...Out goes the lights" j.

amber
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM

I'd like to see yours, especially if you think Colin Farrell is a dog. That's a sure sign that you've got some taste. :lol:
You work? And Colin Farrell is a dog. One of those ratfaced dogs...

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 03:03 PM

Wow - a month off work?

I got for the British men personally - my favorites are Kenneth Brannagh and Colin Firth :nod:

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
You work? And Colin Farrell is a dog. One of those ratfaced dogs...

No, a magical fairy pays my rent and bills. :laugh:

I've worked mostly from home for about a year (even though I still have a desk at work, wonder how thick the dust is :laugh: ). I took two months off for family reasons, though, and I'm making the most of it. ;)

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:09 PM
I got for the British men personally - my favorites are Kenneth Brannagh and Colin Firth :nod:

You should check out Jake Weber, he makes my heart go all a-flutter. *swoon* I get weak in the knees.

British ladies...let's see... Helen Mirren is stunning and very sexy (especially that voice...mmm). Helena Bonham Carter is gorgeous, but a little too pale at the moment. :laugh:

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
You should check out Jake Weber, he makes my heart go all a-flutter. *swoon* I get weak in the knees.

British ladies...let's see... Helen Mirren is stunning and very sexy (especially that voice...mmm). Helena Bonham Carter is gorgeous, but a little too pale at the moment. :laugh:

Kate Winslet?

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Kate Winslet?

Yup, she's a beaut, too. She looked especially good in Quills, even though she was a laundry maid.

I always thought that Julia Sawalha (Saffy) from AbFab was gorgeous back in her younger days.

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Yup, she's a beaut, too. She looked especially good in Quills, even though she was a laundry maid.

I always thought that Julia Sawalha (Saffy) from AbFab was gorgeous back in her younger days.

The images coming up on a Google image search are definitely kind to Julia, she looks great.

I also think Kate is gorgeous and it pisses me off when people say she is fat. She's no rail but she is NOT FAT! I've been told I look like her. :D

wondergirl9847
11-17-2004, 03:19 PM
No, a magical fairy pays my rent and bills. :laugh:

Does she have a co-worker to loan out?! LOL

I work at home too...in fact, I should be working right now... :o

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
The images coming up on a Google image search are definitely kind to Julia, she looks great.

I also think Kate is gorgeous and it pisses me off when people say she is fat. She's no rail but she is NOT FAT! I've been told I look like her. :D

I don't understand the mentality that you have to be a rail to be attractive. :shrug: Honestly, I prefer people who look like human beings, not plastic surgery casualties. And good looks do not equal attractiveness. I've always though Camryn Manheim was incredibly sexy becaus eo fher attitude, her views on life, and her confidence. Love her.

amber
11-17-2004, 03:21 PM

I saw Kate Winslet on Charlie Rose, and she was soooo self absorbed and very, very talkative. bleah! If she was younger, Charlotte Rampling would win.
And what about the lady who played Queen Elizabeth? Kate Blachett, but i just realized she's australian, right? darn!

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Does she have a co-worker to loan out?! LOL

I work at home too...in fact, I should be working right now... :o

Ask Santa for one! :p

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I saw Kate Winslet on Charlie Rose, and she was soooo self absorbed and very, very talkative. bleah! If she was younger, Charlotte Rampling would win.
And what about the lady who played Queen Elizabeth? Kate Blachett, but i just realized she's australian, right? darn!

I like Winslet. She seems very down to earth to me. Charlotte Rampling was stunning back in the day. But she's aged very gracefully.

Still, the sexiest Brits are Helen Mirren and Jake Weber. Hands down. :nod:

amber
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
she's not down to earth. She's just "well rounded" and they don't necessarily go hand in hand...but anyway
What do people who work at home do? What kind of jobs are those? how do you get them?

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM

I know! I can't wait to see Ocean's 12. I need a little escapism. :)

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM

He hasn't been in anything for a long while, eh? The last thing I saw him in was that awful flick with Zeta Jones. :sorry:

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That and the Nicholas Cage one about the treasure map on the back of the Const. I also want to see the Depp movie about Barrie. ALL of those will be "escapism for [my] very survival" :cool:

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
I like reading them. :laugh: Mostly just because I can't believe the dogs they put on those lists and I like laughing at their inclusions! I mean, Colin Farrell? I've seen more attractive rats. Hootchie Spears? Oy vey. Johnny Depp? Great actor, but he looks like a ferret.

LMFAO! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That made me slap my desk. There are far better things to come out of Ireland than Colin Farrell. I like Johnny Depp but every time I see him now I will think "ferret." :lol:

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Colin Firth :nod:

Oooh. I do like Colin Firth.

estranged4life
11-17-2004, 03:34 PM
my "escapism' movies would be the "Sponge Bob Square-pants Movie" & "Team America" :laugh:

Brian "Rolling Stone magazine use #666-Great litter box liner" j.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:35 PM
No thanks! He's ok I suppose.... but I'd rather have George Clooney or LB! That said I don't suppose I would turf Jude out of bed.... hehe

Pip

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:36 PM

He looks exactly, exactly like my old boyfriend. I had to stop watching that show that he was on because it was too painful. :lol: That's how much he reminded me of him.

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
No thanks! He's ok I suppose.... but I'd rather have George Clooney or LB! That said I don't suppose I would turf Jude out of bed.... hehe

Pip

Law is everywhere now (no pun intended :laugh: ) - he has like three movies coming out :eek: Perhaps he is the most exposed man :eek:

dissention
There are far better things to come out of Ireland than Colin Farrell.

Christ, rotten potatoes, for one thing.

I don't care how big a star you are, unibrows will never be vogue. And the repeated talk that he whips out his wang to every passerby makes me wonder if he suffers from penis envy or if he has something to itch. I mean, c'mon.

I like Johnny Depp but every time I see him now I will think "ferret." :lol:

I love Johnny Depp, but a stud he ain't. His features are very sharp...like a rodent. :laugh:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
Younger days? She's only 36!!

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
He looks exactly, exactly like my old boyfriend. I had to stop watching that show that he was on because it was too painful. :lol: That's how much he reminded me of him.

What a lucky **** you are. :lol: He is too pretty for words.

And that show was hysterical, I can't believe HBO canned it after two seasons! :mad: Much better than Sex and the City.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't understand the mentality that you have to be a rail to be attractive. :shrug: Honestly, I prefer people who look like human beings, not plastic surgery casualties. And good looks do not equal attractiveness. I've always though Camryn Manheim was incredibly sexy becaus eo fher attitude, her views on life, and her confidence. Love her.
I agree... I think Rene Zelweger (s/p) looks far better with more weight on her. The skinny look is so unattractive IMO. They call it the lollipop effect over here where the head looks too big for the body. Lara Flynn Boyle shouldn't be allowed to wear a bikini in public

Pip

estranged4life
11-17-2004, 03:40 PM
since everyone has opinions on looks I think it's time for a "Spinoff thread" (Which I am going to go create now)

Brian j.

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Younger days? She's only 36!!

She was starting to look quite Old Maid-ish for Series' 3 and 4. But she's looking great now.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Me too! George and Brad in the same film! Yum!

Pip

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Law is everywhere now (no pun intended :laugh: ) - he has like three movies coming out :eek: Perhaps he is the most exposed man :eek:
Yep... he is everywhere in the UK too....

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
He hasn't been in anything for a long while, eh? The last thing I saw him in was that awful flick with Zeta Jones. :sorry:

I didn't see that one, on purpose. I think he's been in Italy. Good for him. :laugh:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:44 PM
I didn't see that one, on purpose. I think he's been in Italy. Good for him. :laugh:
Yeah... I read he has a home there. And he's supposedly back with his British girlfriend... not that I follow him or anything ;)

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
What a lucky **** you are. :lol: He is too pretty for words.

And that show was hysterical, I can't believe HBO canned it after two seasons! :mad: Much better than Sex and the City.

The show was good. I just couldn't watch it though. It was like reliving the whole thing and it was all pretty fresh to me. He suddenly married 6 months later. :shrug: :eek:

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
The show was good. I just couldn't watch it though. It was like reliving the whole thing and it was all pretty fresh to me. He suddenly married 6 months later. :shrug: :eek:

I can imagine, especially with him being such a male slut on that show. :eek:

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I agree... I think Rene Zelweger (s/p) looks far better with more weight on her. The skinny look is so unattractive IMO. They call it the lollipop effect over here where the head looks too big for the body.

I couldn't believe the most recent picture of her! She's scrawny, much too thin.

gldstwmn
11-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah... I read he has a home there. And he's supposedly back with his British girlfriend... not that I follow him or anything ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good for George.

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I couldn't believe the most recent picture of her! She's scrawny, much too thin.

I agree she can get too thin. But I thought in that yellow dress and in the white dress last year she was the perfect weight.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah... there is an article in a mag I picked up today and it compares her different sizes and she has gone way to skinny IMO. Bones sticking out everywhere!

Pip

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I agree she can get too thin. But I thought in that yellow dress and in the white dress last year she was the perfect weight.
They just don't seem to know when to stop! I must admit her 'diet' to gain weight for the film sounded like my kind of diet! Heh

Pip

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
They just don't seem to know when to stop! I must admit her 'diet' to gain weight for the film sounded like my kind of diet! Heh

Pip

I know - I look at Lara Flynn Boyle and I just want to give her a donut a and make her eat it :laugh: I mean if the camera ADDS 10 pounds :eek:

The one thing I will say about Brittany S., Christina Ag., and that ilk - they appear to be healthy. I mean Brittany has a figure and it is not skin and bones. So, although I am not a huge fan of their music, at least if little girls are gonna look to them as role models (perish the thought IMO) - they eat.

dissention
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM

I thought she looked perfect in Bridget Jones. :shrug: She looked human and very beautiful.

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I thought she looked perfect in Bridget Jones. :shrug: She looked human and very beautiful.

I liked her that as well. Interestingly, she was NOT fat in that. I think they used camera angles and too tight clothing to accentuate what is IMO a normal size.

dissention
11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I liked her that as well. Interestingly, she was NOT fat in that. I think they used camera angles and too tight clothing to accentuate what is IMO a normal size.

Exactly. The way she looked and the whole character was just perfection. Her bunny get-up in that movie was so amusingly sexy. :nod:

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 04:21 PM
It pisses me off to no end when women like Kate Winslet and Renee Zellweger (in Jones mode) are called fat...HOW are they fat...they are so NOT fat....makes me so mad - it's things like that that totally F*** with my self-esteem...even though I know they shouldn't....

DeadliestPoison
11-17-2004, 05:39 PM
I always thought she was saying, "It sounds like John just.. fell off the stage."

:shrug:

heyjupiter678
11-17-2004, 06:51 PM
I always thought she was saying, "It sounds like John just.. fell off the stage."

:shrug:
Yeah, me too. :shrug:

ontheEdgeof17
11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, me too. :shrug:

FOR REAL!?!?!?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You all are probably right. I swear she says "jaundice", but it probably is "john just". Sounds about the same....I'm always in medical terminology mode. :cool:

Hawkeye
11-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I've always heard John just fell off the stage. Jaundice fell off the stage makes NO sense whatsoever Curtis :laugh: of course neither does much of what Stevie says so maybe thats why you thought it :laugh:

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I've always heard John just fell off the stage. Jaundice fell off the stage makes NO sense whatsoever Curtis :laugh: of course neither does much of what Stevie says so maybe thats why you thought it :laugh:

I know! When I heard it I was like "WTF?!?!?" It never crossed my mind it could be anything else. Sometimes I am the flightiest person....a total airhead. :p

cliffdweller
11-18-2004, 11:37 AM
And I've heard that Alexander is a monstrosity of a film, truly wretched in a Gigli kind of way.

I guessed as much from the trailer. By the way, what's happened to Oliver Stone? He used to be an interesting filmmaker and now he's making historical epics with Colin "unibrow" Ferrell. It doesn't make any sense!

cliffdweller
11-18-2004, 11:44 AM
I love Johnny Depp, but a stud he ain't.

I'd have to disagree, while I wouldn't call him a "stud" I would definitely say that he's very attractive.

I also think Jude Law is attractive, however, he's a bit too skinny so is Johnny Depp really. I like a little meat with my bone too Diss!

Why are all these hot guys getting so skinny?!?!?